9 East Wilson
Madison, WI 53703Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.capitolchophouse.com/
- Phone: 6082550165
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Craig E. Summers
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Capitol ChopHouse offers two private dining rooms, which are able to accommodate groups ranging in size from 5 to 40 people, and will be more than happy to have a special menu created to cater specifically to your parties needs: from cocktail receptions to multi-course dinners. Complimentary underground parking available for all dining guests.
Special Events: The Capitol ChopHouse additionally offers special holiday brunch buffets throughout the year.
These include Thanksgiving, Easter Sunday, Mothers Day and U.W. Graduation weekend.
Additionally we offer a special Christmas Eve dinner every year.
- Private Party Contact: Eric Knapton 6082602364
- Special Events: The Capitol Chophouse additionally offers special holiday brunch buffets throughout the year. These include Thanksgiving, Easter Sunday, Mothers Day and U.W. Graduation weekend. Additionally we offer a special Christmas Eve dinner every year.
A word from Capitol ChopHouse
Located 1 block from the capitol square in downtown Madison we are a classic steakhouse that supports local farmers and fresh seasonal ingredients whenever possible. We have local musicians on our patio in the summer, intimate private dining space for your special event, and seasonal wine and beer dinners. We offer Midwest beef, fresh seafood, WI craft beer on draft, and a thoughtful and focused wine selection.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Capitol ChopHouse - Best Restaurants in Madison ›
Capitol ChopHouse reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (25)notable wine list (17)romantic (15)fit for foodies (14)good for groups (10)neighborhood gem (5)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Just what we wantedJerryDined on 10/25/2014After watching the Badgers great homecoming victory over the Terrapins and visiting the dedication of our new Theta Chi fraternity house, three alums were looking forward to some quiet reminiscing, a few drinks and a good steak. We received exactly what we wanted. The martinis were large, the wine was delicious and the filets were perfectly done and very flavorful. We couldn't ask for more.Special Features:
- A little bit averageRMM0605Dined on 10/17/2014When we arrived the hostess was rearranging tables for a walk-in party of 8. When we checked in she had to scramble to find our table for two. It was noisy and the waiter finally visited us for the first time about 10 minutes after we were seated. He had passed us several times, but did not acknowledge us. That was disappointing. He told us they were short handed. Sorry. He did comp our beers. The food was very good. My steak was properly cooked and the twice baked potato was very good. My French onion soup started out too hot to eat and it was very sweet and heavy, not what I expected. I would not order that again. My husband's chopped salad was very good. All in all, I would probably not spend the money to go back. $$$$$$$
- Always great!BadgerSteveDined on 10/17/2014This is one of our neighborhood go-to spots. Excellent service as always with Rene and Ethan is a master behind the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for special occasions!JenLDined on 10/4/2014Have brought many business clients here over the years and everything is usually fabulous! Make sure you try their local cheese options, you will never be disappointed!Special Features:
- Pricey for Madiosn restaurantSirEatsoutalotDined on 9/24/2014The food was good, the service was attentive, the restaurant is in downtown Madison. For the price it wasn't enough. You can get all of this for a much power cost in many other places.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerFlanderosa97Dined on 8/30/2014Delightful dinner! The Mr. had the grass fed ribeye, it was cooked perfectly but for his taste the 'grass fed' lacked the taste of regular beef, this is just a taste preference, not the restaurants fault. I had the filet and it was perfect, melt in your mouth with the taste of fresh cut meat! We shared the twice baked potato which was rich and amazing. I had the 1/2 wedge salad and he the 1/2 ceasar, both are big portions and delicious. Cherry cheesecake and rhubarb crunch were also top notch. All in all it was a great evening. The only complaint was there were some LOUD people at the bar, which again is out of the restaurants control and to be expected on a Saturday night. I would highly recommend Capitol ChopHouse for a romantic meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced...WebberwarriorVIPDined on 8/25/2014Like others who have reviewed this location I thought the food was so so but definitely overpriced. The wine selection was decent but again overpriced. My steak was rare, as ordered, but extremely cold. The other person ordered medium rare and it came out, you guessed it....well done. Not a memorable night.
- OutstandingRelmDined on 8/22/2014Will go back on our next visit to Madison. The steaks were awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasionslr7VIPDined on 8/22/2014Thank you to the waiter and the manager who helped make this a special occasion for our friend. The food was, as always, outstanding, the service exceptional, the candle in the desert, and the arrangements to have flowers on the table all made it a wonderful birthday celebration for our friend. You made it possible for us to host a dinner while coming in from out of town. Thank you.Special Features:
- Fine for the money....ShiftracerDined on 8/5/2014The food at the Capitol Chop House was, as would be expected for a restaurant in this price range, very good. All 4 people in our party had steaks, all were prepared as requested and all were tender and flavorful. We ordered 3 sides, all of which were large enough to share and 2 of them were successful. The grilled asparagus was just the right shade of al dente. The Lobster Mac & Cheese was tasty but needed some seasoning. The mushrooms, however, were only mediocre, nothing you couldn't find in pretty much any steakhouse...or diner...anywhere. The wine list was adequate with some nice wines offered by the glass. Of the 4 desserts (2 ice creams, Lava Cake and Carrot cake) were also mixed. The carrot cake was the most successful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Orgasmic prime rib!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Friday and Saturday night is the prime rib special. It is worthy of greatness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What rib eyeRossPKDined on 8/1/2014Ordered a rib eye and while the steak was fine it was probably a lesser cut sirloin. Too tired and too hungry to complain. There are too many other good steak place to return.
- Okay but didn't stand outrbeatDined on 7/23/2014Salmon fritters were okay but somewhat doughy and didn't stand out with flavor. First bites of Alaskan Halibut Piccata were very tasty but left palate fatigue from too much salt, or from the mix of lemon, capers, and salt. Halibut is my favorite fish and I'll seek it out, but in the end the halibut medallions were more like white fish or sole for me. I'm not a big desert person but the peach cobbler was a bit mushy and sweet. Cobbler was served with ice cream too hard to cut though. I liked the Chocolate Terrine. Service was good to start, but felt slightly ignored toward the end.
- GearOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014I came here with a couple of friends for Restaurant Week July 2014.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceluvMadisonfoodVIPDined on 7/18/2014The food was excellent. I had the lamb, which was cooked to perfection. I only wish more restaurants offered lamb like this. It makes a great alternative to steak. They also had a awesome selection of cheeses from Wisconsin. Not just the usual selection, but some really great world class ones. The staff made you feel welcome and the service felt relaxed, but not slow. Just as it should be. Helpfully they are attached to the Hilton Hotel, so if you want to have more than a glass of wine it is not far to the room. The only other restaurant in Madison that could be described as *better* won't give you change from your Ben Franklin, so for value for money they can't be beaten, IMHO.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Large servings, priceyLocalboyDined on 7/8/2014We met old friends for dinner at 6:00 on a weeknight and enjoyed a quiet dining room until 8:00. The serving portions were large, but the quality of the steaks was only average and a bit high-priced for the quality. The wait staff was just right -- they didn't hover or interrupt our conversation, but were attentive and courteous.
- anniversary dinnerAnniversaryDined on 7/7/2014From start to finish staff was wonderful. I made the special occassion comment when making the reservation. We were seated off the main dining area in a quieter room. Renee was our server, very helpful. Knew the specials and could describe them and offered wine pairing for our seafood and steak dinner. Considerate of our privacy request and spot on with timing for our courses. Would definitely recommend for a special occassion. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 518 reviews are from the Capitol ChopHouse reviews archive.
- Dont go there for steakOvercookedDined on 6/13/2014THe chef does not know what medium rare is - all over cooked
- Food not up to parColliegalDined on 6/6/2014We have celebrated several times at the ChopHouse. We enjoyed the ambience and service in the past. However, this time the food was not worth the visit. For the price that is charged, we felt that the evening could have been more enjoyable. The "Oscar style" for our steaks was a real let down. There was very little crab meet and it seemed as if it was of the "canned" variety. The steaks didn't have the flavor of a Prime or Choice steak would. We could have made much better tenderloin on our grill at home for a lot less. We do spend the extra $$ for the ambience and service of a restaurant, however, we do expect the food to compare with that. We won't be coming back.
- Excellent food!DaisyDined on 5/24/2014A place that doesn't get a lot of advertising but is a real gem. Locally sourced food including meat and veg. Lamb is divine. Fish is excellent. This visit we had the scallop ceviche, tuna tartare, and shrimp cocktail for apps - all delicious with a nice bit of kick. Halibut special was lemon hollandaise with prosciutto and morel mushrooms. One misstep was ahi tuna entree. Seared with odd soy-ginger flavor. Fish though was cooked superbly, and as I've had it before, I won't count it against the overall experience. Oh and warm ciabatta rolls to start with goat cheese butter. What is not to like??Special Features:
- nice relaxing ambienceworksatd31416Dined on 5/23/2014I went here for lunch with my 19 years old son. My office is around the Capitol Square. The service was very good. Typically, you have a hard time getting served lunch anywhere in the Square. Service was just right, here. Got out. In 50 minutes. Great French Onion soup and tasty Chopped Salad. Love the ambience. Cozy, relaxing, pleasant staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not like it used to beWallyDined on 5/11/2014Good-Very good food for brunch, though not up to "special brunch" standards as I would expect more from the Capitol Chophouse, given the high standards that it has already established. The previous Mother's Day buffet that the CCH has offered in the past set the bar high and this fell well short. Very good-excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at the Chop Houseirish0Dined on 5/10/2014Top of the line and priced to match. Great food and professional, unobtrusive but attentive service. Busy restaurant but noise did not interfere with conversation or privacy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/6/2014I met some clients for dinner and was expecting a lot more out of the Restaurant. Over priced and meat was no better then meat from outback.
- Waste of a great locationsteakfoodieDined on 5/2/2014Seemed old and tired when we arrived and never got better. Service was fine for a Perkins but not for a high end steakhouse. Food delivered slowly, cold and meat was overcooked. They replaced my steak but when they brought a new one it was raw. Sent it back and it finally was good but so late I couldn't eat most of it. Sadly disappointed with this place. With better alternatives like Flemmings nearby, I won't be back.
- Great for visiting business guestsPickydinerDined on 4/24/2014Convenient to Hilton and Monona Terrace Convention Center, parking validated for hotel parking while dining, easy reservations. Beef higher quality than expected, with a more than satisfactory wine list. Entertained business guest on tight schedule from out of town, so location convenience to his hotel and meeting venue couldn't have been better, guest commented that his bone in ribeye was the best he's had. Very personalized service by wait staff, added to guest's impression. My colleague's request for gluten free was easily granted. My bone in ribeye was very tasty, with the correct dry aging. The menu has a local source emphasis, nice to see this means better quality, not just for show and not keeping money home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food & large portionsway2goDined on 4/19/2014The food was excellent and the portions were extremely generous. The food and drinks we delivered in a well coordinated way and arrived exactly when we were ready for them. We had a wonderful dinner.Special Features:
- Yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/18/2014Good place for the meat-and-potato types, but also for fish-lovers. Classic food.Special Features:
- Lowest of all the chophouses aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/15/2014I frequent Ruth's Chris and Johnny Delmonico's. We are always impressed with both establishments. My partner and I decided to give Capitol Chophouse a try for my Mother's birthday. What a disappointment. I was not impressed with Capitol Chophouse at all! The service was average, my steak was less than flavorful, the twice baked potato was over cooked, my Mother's pork chop was raw though she asked for very, very well done. We will not be coming back. The waiter though average, was the best part of the restaurant.
- Great ServicehustvettDined on 4/4/2014Our sever (Rene) is the best server we have had in Madison. I booked this restaurant for a pre-proposal dinner and we were treated like royalty. We were allowed to split sides and the staff was extremely conversational but not over-bearing. This place is going to be our new romantic big night out spot. The steaks were cooked perfectly and the appetizers were very good. Good draft beers and a knowledgeable staff. Highly recommend this place (and the server Rene is the best!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special placeRichie4richDined on 3/29/2014The Chop House was terrific! The food, setting & staff were top notch We will be back again soonSpecial Features:
- Pricey, but worth it.TellyDined on 3/7/2014Recently dined at the Capitol Chophouse on a Friday evening. The menu is short and sweet, focusing on locally-raised meats, and some seafoods. The prime rib special was excellent...done to perfection. My S.O. had the seared Ahi tuna, which was also done to perfection. The waitstaff was professional beyond reproach. Although it was a bit on the spendy side, we both felt the quality of the ingredients, presentation, and atmosphere was worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food at a reasonable priceMamaDDined on 3/5/2014I love coming here for lunch. For the same price as a sandwich or salad from a food cart, you can have an upscale yet comfortable dining experience. The menu is large enough that truly anyone can find something they like, and most entrees are around $10. The staff is so friendly and attentive.The best part? Warm chocolate chip cookie at the end of every meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/22/2014We wanted to see if the good was worth the money and it was!! We both had steaks and I would highly recommend the bone-in ribeye.Great food. Great sservice. Perfect date night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a romaticOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014Great place for a romatic date. Dress elegen tGiven the location, walking through into the Steakhouse is like walking into a different world. Plush leather booth seats. The steaks were amazing - cooked exactly as we asked.. Seafood samper were splendid.Special Features:
- perfect executionfoodfluxDined on 2/8/2014Since my wife and I first met we've been cooking together. And we've grown into foodies. All too often we go to a restaurant and are let down because we feel like we could've made the food better if we made it at home. This restaurant is different. They cooked the meats perfectly and the a la carte sides complement the generous portions of meat perfectly. We ordered the pork chop and prime rib and thoroughly enjoyed them both! Our waiter was great, he was very attentive and wanted to make sure our food was perfect. We went on my wife's birthday and everyone on the staff told her happy birthday multiple times. It made her feel great. This place did not let us down!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food but it comesUpsguyDined on 2/8/2014Excellent food but it comes at a price. Great wine list. Very nice ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good But PriceykbeanDined on 1/29/2014Food, wine, and service were quite good. And they did a great job of honoring our request for a quiet table. Only negative - pretty pricey considering the portions weren't generous and everything (including vegetable sides) was a la carte.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/24/2014I'm never unhappy with my food at Capitol ChopHouse. Our main course came out before I was done with my appetizer, but oh well. I'd go back again and again - the lunch prices are actually quite reasonable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls night outMichlobDined on 1/23/2014We enjoyed a fantastic meal during Restaurant Week at the ChopHouse. Choices were fantastic, food was scrumptious, and the waiter was spot on taking care of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.