Capital City Grill Downtown
100 Lafayette Street
Baton Rouge, LA 70801Neighborhood:
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Capital City Grill Downtown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://capitalcitygrill.net/
- Phone: 2253818140x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm, Thursday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Creole / Cajun / Southern
- Executive Chef:
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Our catering menu can be viewed at CapitalCityGrill.net
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a small private room that seats up to 30 people.
- Private Party Contact: Trent Wilson 225-381-8140x
A word from Capital City Grill Downtown
Capital City Grill Downtown is located inside The Shaw Center on beautiful Lafayette Park. Enjoy fresh seafood, steaks, chops, gumbo and frosty cocktails while taking in the scenery and fountains on the plaza. In addition to the delicious food and exceptional service that you can expect every time you dine with us, we offer a children’s menu, wireless internet and outdoor seasonal dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Capital City Grill Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
- DelishMeredithVIPDined on 6/8/2014We had a late brunch here during Miss USA weekend. Service was a little slow, but I think our server was just frazzled by the sheer number of people who flooded the place after dress rehearsals. The shrimp and grits were phenomenal and my husband loved his crabcake benedict. If our server had a tad more skill in the time management area (ie before going to the bar to get one person at the table a drink, ask everyone), it would be an even higher rating.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/1/2014Had a very nice Sunday brunch. Very Good is an apt description. The Grill Doesn't hold itself out as a fine dining establishment, but it's certainly a very nice place to eat downtown. Certainly can't beat the location or the view! Do sincerely wish they would add some sound baffling! Simply CANNOT understand who believes that loud equals good in restaurants........Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's OKEatlocalDined on 5/16/2014We made reservations for lunch and were promptly seated. The waiter took our drink orders right away, but took a while to come back for food orders. It also took a lot of time for our main courses to come out. The food was okay, not anything spectacular considering the prices. The restaurant was pretty noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchGeauxeatDined on 5/4/2014Went to brunch and had the Eggs Imperial and they were so delicious. I would have them again, and again! We had reservations and our table was set with menus out when we arrived. We enjoyed our experience.Special Features:
- Not GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/25/2014Simply not a good restaurant. It missed all the right flavors. I had the BBQ shrimp very poorly prepared and to top it off the flavor was very poor. They need to hire a better chef or have someone from Louisiana cooking for them. The spin. dip tasted old and sour.
- Dinner and a ShowNightLifeDined on 4/11/2014The perfect spot before attending a show in the downtown area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining during LentThomasdiningDined on 4/11/2014I choose this returant because I had a downtown date night planned. They seated us quickly and got us drinks right away. The drinks were excellent. I ordered the sesame salmon but was brought sesame chicken. The only problem was it was a Friday during Lent and I couldn't eat meat. Due to my other plans I couldn't wait for the correct meal. I would have given it a better review if id actually had dinner here.Special Features:
- Love this joint!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/17/2014Was in town for a convention four years ago and ate here both nights. Loved it! Happened to pass through again and stopped in. Live for their crutons and the catfish Orleans is everything!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown GemPerfectSpotDined on 3/15/2014This is a great spot right in the middle of downtown, close to any event held downtown. The food is excellent, service is great, great view of the Mississippi riverSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great preconcert dinnerDonnakarenDined on 2/22/2014It was a busy night--2 nearby concerts and a Mardi Gras parade. The pace of the meal was great, even though the restaurant was crowded. The tuna was perfectly cooked. The service was good. We made the concert with time to spare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LGF237lgf237Dined on 2/21/2014Very convenient for attending functions at the Manship. Food is always good and priced reasonably. We can make reservations easily. Service is always very good. The only thing negative is the high sound level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "meh" to say the leastShogga2Dined on 2/15/2014We went here because we wanted to be downtown but didn't want to pay a premium. We should have. My sister got the Greek pasta salad, I got the tenderloin Caesar and my other sister got the Madeira tenderloin. I don't think our tenderloin was actually a tenderloin... Super chewy, not flavorful. Disappointing. The pasta salad was okay but it's pasta salad- hard to mess it up. Certainly wasn't exceptional. Next time, we will suck it up and just go to a pricier place. What we got was not worth what we paid. Vinyl table cloths and ugly chairs.. Felt like I was in a church banquet hall. I honestly would have preferred Applebees...Special Features:
- Disappointed on Valentine's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014Did not enjoy our food, salad needed to sent back lettuce was wilted and the steaks were not cooked to desired tempeture.
- Knock Me Over With a FeathermbertautDined on 2/14/2014Frankly speaking, Capital City was my B or C choice for Valentines. Not any more. We were there Valentines Day. We started with crab cakes and Bang Bang Shrimp. DON"T MISS THE SHRIMP. Crab Cakes were good. Entrees Madeira Tenderloin, Teriyaki Tuna Steak, Catfish Orleans. All excellent. I'm not a catfish fan, but I would order THAT catfish in a heartbeat. Kitchen was actually unhappy with the size of my wife's Tuna Steak (it was not small) so they sent her a 2nd one! Madeira sauce was brilliant on the tenderloin, perfectly cooked to my order. Desert was carrot cake, bread pudding, chocolate cake. The carrot cake was unbelievably good and the slice gigantic. Breadpudding fresh and citrusy. Excellent for Dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmingRoughenDined on 2/14/2014My husband and I went Valentines Day dinner here and it was just "eh." The sauce on my chicken was suppose to have crawfish and it didn't; His need tenderloin was way undercooked and had to be sent back. They didn't have a filet on the menu which surprised me for the kind of restaurant it was. Great location, but I wouldn't go back. The food was just okay and the service was below expectation.
- Excellent!BaseballbucDined on 2/3/2014Everything was great, food, service and drinks! We went before a concert downtown, perfect location, perfect start to a great evening.Special Features:
- Good food and attentive serviceRickDined on 1/31/2014Met for a business lunch. Service was very attentive without being obtrusive. Food was very good lunch fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what you think...FunFanaticVIPDined on 1/17/2014This is not the Capital Grill that you see in most major downtown cities. Food choices are very limited - everything breaded, fried, or salted. My snow peas had more salt on them than McD's french fries.
- New Year CelebrationJesseDined on 12/31/2013We enjoyed the ambience overall, but the noise volume is a bit on the louder side. The crabcake and salsa appetizer were dynamite. The fish I ordered was average and side of parmesian grits were good. We had carrot cake for dessert wish was different from the traditional with added nuts and flavor. Overall it was an enjoyable experience and we were seated right away even though we were slightly early for our reservation.Special Features:
- Service needs improvementbadserviceDined on 12/21/2013This was my 4th time eating at CCG, 3rd with TERRIBLE service. Please re-train your wait staff. Doubt I will make a 5th trip out.
- Good Downtown DinnerBetsy72VIPDined on 12/14/2013We had had nice dinner at CCG Saturday night. Everyone was friendly and the waiter was attentive. This made up for not bringing us the extra sides we ordered and not asking us for a drink order. The portions were large and more than we could eat. The prices were very fair. It would be good for families.Special Features:
- Special NightpchwdgDined on 11/11/2013We like to dine at Capital City Grill whenever something special is going on downtown (we saw a play at the River Center this particular night). We have never been disappointed with CCG and always look forward to going there. Both of our entrees were delicious and we each found a wine that we enjoyed. Our server was very attentive without being overbearing. Dinner at CCG was a great way to set a positive tone for the rest of the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok service with ok foodLsufan82Dined on 10/25/2013Service left a lot to be desired and food was not great.
- Outstanding Sunday BrunchnorthshorenibblerDined on 9/15/2013We choose the Grill because we wanted to lunch downtown on a Sunday and the choices are slim. Most of us ordered off of the brunch menu and every item was divine! The shrimp and grits were the best I've ever had! The $3 mimosas, bloody marys and margaritas were a deal. I look forward to returning and trying every egg dish offered!Special Features:
- This is always the place toDinnergirlDined on 8/30/2013This is always the place to eat when we visit the Manship Theater,right next door. The atmosphere is very comfortable,the food is good. I definitely recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The menu is limited but theptatlulDined on 8/30/2013The menu is limited but the food and dining experience is good for the price. The food is a little salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not happy to be hereRitagonzVIPDined on 7/9/2013The first unhappy hostess in LA, in my entire experience visiting the State. She was neither very bright nor personable - dragging herself to be remotely pleasant. Bar tender dressed sloppy and not too happy either. We actually returned our salt water martini, to have it return exactly the same. Billy our server, I hope finds another job for his sake - too charming and professional for such a disappointing place. After having the worst crab cakes I have ever tasted in my entire culinary life, but made up by the fried crab claws BILLY recommended, we picked ourselves up and went to IPO (made the open table while sitting here). With so many choices in this town, if you are visiting... pass go and go somewhere else.
- Very enjoyable dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/19/2013Arrived to very crowded restaurant due to graduations going on downtown that day. They were very friendly and was able to sit us right away. Filet was cooked just right and the catfish orleans was great. Enjoyed everything. Service was very good. The view thru the windows was nice and would sit on patio next time. Downtown Baton Rouge is becoming a great place to hangout.Special Features:
- Pleasant ExperDineReviewDined on 5/11/2013Enjoyed a pre-Mother's Day lunch w/ Family at 12:30 for lunch/ movie date-had the restaurant to ourselves, crowds arrived upon departure-noise increased--great Saturday early lunch venue in recent downtown development, hit the interstate and arrived on-time for movie...a pleasant experience!Special Features:
- There are other, better steakOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/13/2013There are other, better steak restaurants in Baton Rouge...
- The food and service was great!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/6/2013I went to lunch with a friend and we enjoyed our food. The service and speed of service was great, I only have an hour for lunch. Great job Capital City Grill!Special Features:
- Breif synapsis: We both fektOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2013Breif synapsis: We both fekt very rushed by the waiter. The food was brought out fast, but too fast, and it tasyed like the order had been sitting in the kitchen for the last hour. The étouffée was terrible and the seafood pasta followed in line. I would say I'd go there for lunch, but never again for dinner.
- Waiter overwhelmed, food didOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/31/2012Waiter overwhelmed, food did not come as requested. Sent back w/o acknowledgement of their mistake.Taking this option my list for business or personal dining.
- Disappointing experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/7/2012This was only our second time eating at this establishment and was quite different from the first (which was excellent). The servier, Austin, was slow to come around the first time, not sure why. Our bar order took an unreasonably long time to come out as well. We both ordered salads and my husband ordered a cup of gumbo to come before his meal. First, well into our salads, we were told the gumbo was "being made", at which point my husband said "never mind". However, it was brought out when we were almost finished eating, it was bland and watery, not very good. We ordered a second drink and, as before, they took an eternity to come out. This time our server did apologize that the "bar was backed up". Will not be back.Special Features:
- The food was good, reasonablyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/2/2012The food was good, reasonably priced and did not disappoint. The venue is great with the wall of windows creating a great outdoor-indoor feel, however it is very loud. It's a great place if you're in downtown Baton Rouge with people you know and the conversation doesn't matter. Here are the cons: * It was difficult to discuss business due to noise; * The waiter seemed experienced. When I inquired about the specials, he picked up my menu and read them to me. * Host did not walk me to table, simply pointed across the room; * If validated parking is offered, I wouldn't knowSpecial Features:
- seated promptly, service veryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/24/2012seated promptly, service very friendly & efficient, food was excellent, we highly recommend the Eggplant pirouge
- Nice location downtown. FriedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/21/2012Nice location downtown. Fried Green Tomato appetizer was excellent - tart & peppery. Had the fried soft shell crab with crawfish etouffee entree. Crab was large, etouffee had a nice consistency. Overall bill was $80 for appetizer, 2 entrees, and a bottle of wine. Already have plans to go back.Special Features:
- Always enjoy Capital CityOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012Always enjoy Capital City Grill. Out right good food!Special Features:
- Another nice nite @ the Grill.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/24/2012Another nice nite @ the Grill. Good food, nice late nite atmosphere, great way to wrap up a movie @ the Manship.Special Features:
- Ordered Caesar salad thatgwscronceDined on 1/20/2012Ordered Caesar salad that had 3 croutons and very little dressing. Fish tacos were stated on menu to have cilantro and cabbage but had neither.