555 Kaukahi Street
Wailea, HI 96753Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.capische.com/
- Phone: 8088792224
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, French
- Executive Chef: Brian Etheredge
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate large parties on the open air lanai as well as in our garden dining area. Upstairs we offer facilities for up to 90 people, and the garden area for up to 42 people. We have on site wedding ceremony space available as well. Personal Chef tables are available for a party up to 20. Il Teatro our private chef tables are Maui's newest interactive fine dining experience. As you enter the intimate, private dining room, you will be welcomed with a the Italian tradition of a sparkling wine toast to start your evening's experience. From there your personal chef will take you on a culinary journey as each course is prepared tableside. You will be delighted with fresh Italian ingredients using new world cooking techniques, while every course is expertly paired with fine Italian wines. The chef begins with taking your reservations personally to create a menu just for your occasion. Please call for more details.
- Private Party Contact: Elizabeth Judd 8088792224
- Entertainment: Live Jazz and Blues every Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Come watch the dancing fingers of Mark Johnstone, an extremely talented jazz musician whom began playing at the age of five. Accompanied by John Zangrando on the saxophone Friday Night, you will feel the sounds in your soul. Saturday he teams up with Marcus Johnson on his upright bass sending the sensational beats drumming through your feet. Sunday nights hear soulful R&B tunes of Kelly Covington and Brian Cuomo. Their songs will bring you back to the memories of the past while you make new ones in the present.
- Special Events:
Valentines Day Menu
$100 per person
"Preset menu is available only , with vegetarian menu upon request."
Kushi Oysters and Caviar
Prosecco Sparkling Wine Toast
Oyster Mushrooms, Reggiano Parmesan, Three Truffles
Kula Mixed Green Salad
Hunbolt Fog Goat Cheese, Raspberry Balsamic Gastrique
Parmesan Alfredo, Lavender Brown Butter
White Peach Sorbet Bellini
Gorgonzola, Tuscan Potatoes, Onion Jus
Sun-dried Tomatoes, Herb Salad, Coriander Vinaigrette
Add Whole Kona Maine Lobster $75
Pâté a Choux
White Chocolate Mousse, Hazelnut Caramel
A word from Capische
Where Northern Italy meets Southern France At the Top of Wailea. Tucked away on a steep hill is South Maui's best kept secret. A stone entryway leads you past the piano lounge and martini bar into two unique dining room settings. First the open lanai revealing 180 degree views of the surrounding ocean. Down below are tables set amongst pristine Japanese Gardens. Owner and Award Winning Chef Brian Etheredge passionately embraces traditional Italian ingredients and recipes with concern for detail. Our wine list consists of globally sourced wines of exceptional quality and is highlighted by our much sought after Italian selections. Start your evening with a fine cocktail while listening to the smooth sounds of our live jazz and blues in our lounge Friday, Saturday and Sundays. We love what we do, and you will see our intense appreciation for fine food, wine and service throughout your exquisite dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Capische - Best Restaurants in Wailea ›
Capische reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelQuiet
romantic (47)scenic view (44)great for outdoor dining (39)special occasion (39)notable wine list (25)fit for foodies (18)neighborhood gem (9)good for groups (4)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Simply Fantastic!LuvFoodDined on 9/18/2014Small But not cramped, romantic and scenic, describes the restaurant but the food is exquisite, bold and flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice viewKelly926Dined on 9/14/2014I didn't think the food was anything great. The view during sunset was breathtaking. No need to returnSpecial Features:
- Romantic Birthday DinnerKeempersDined on 9/7/2014We love that they kept the favorites on the menu but added new entrées too. Service is always good and very welcoming. The vegetables from their home garden are amazingly fresh and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- memorable dinnerjes1Dined on 9/7/2014Great service, amazing food, beautiful sunset view, quiet, cozy; definitely a must for a special occasion!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedGermansDined on 9/2/2014We wanted to like this place because the market by capische serves wonderfully fresh food. At first the organic famers sampler menu was not available due to the fact that we are dinner (it does not say on the website). Unfortunately the starter (beef carpaccio) was way too salty and the main course (fish) was served on a butter-pesto sauce. It was very fat due to the amount of sauce. The food was fresh, but not properly seasoned.Special Features:
- OutstandingHoagesVIPDined on 9/2/2014Theres a reason we come back every time we are on island. This is the place to eat in this area. Prices are a little highbutyouget what you pay for here. Beal chop was quite possibly the best piece of meat I've put in my mouth. The best I've had in awhile anyway. Beef carpaccio was the second best appetizer I've had on island.(try Malas ahi bruschetta ) wife's hangar steak was very good,but no comparison. She really enjoyed the beet salad also. Trio of creme brûlée was a nice finish,done well.Special Features:
- littleVIPDined on 9/1/2014Exceptional service and wonderful food! Highly recommend coming around sunset, as the restaurant has an amazing view. Very serene and romantic location...a must for couples!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off day?EireneVIPDined on 8/26/2014We've been to Capische several times and we're usually very satisfied with our dining experience. This time, all was great except the food. I don't know if they have had a change of chef, but the quality of food was not up to previous dinners. The lamb shank was very fatty and the carbonara was overwhelmed with onion. The setting was great, as always and the service was very good. We will try again in case it was an off day.Special Features:
- French chateau in HawaiiChuck3Dined on 8/25/2014Used WAZE to find this restaurant and got totally lost BUT once we got there what an experience. We were guided down through a stone path to our own, I repeat own personal spot in a garden. All reviews suggest that you come to view sunset but we prefer late night dining. Our entire waitstaff could have been transported from a Chateau in France. Never too much but just the right amount. An amazing wine list, possibly the best in all of the Hawaiian Islands. This is from Wine Educators who taught wine programs in NYC. for over thirty years. Some amazing deals. The food was pure French. Awesome stocks that mary great Burgundies. Enough said. Go there. BE HUNGRY! Be romantic.Special Features:
- The Best restaurant view in WaileaHeidi93065Dined on 8/23/2014Very professional. Although located in what we have found to be a 'kick back' state as is HI, this place is very proper. separate server for food, bread and service. Everyone very nice and accommodating. Food excellent as well. View....none better. Higher on a hill, you see the entire ocean. Also, apparently this place is a hotel as well and have high ceilings and water falls. Definitely worth a visit for regular dining or special event.Special Features:
- sp4MendyDined on 8/21/2014Capische was recommended by a work colleague who could not believe that we had not tried it. She was right. It was a great spot and dinner. The views from the landing were terrific, but I would like to try the garden section next time--seemed quite romantic and intimate. The service was excellent, the menu was creative and the dishes were very interesting. All in all, it was a great evening.Special Features:
- Marred by slow serviceFoodieLifeDined on 8/18/2014Capische? is an upscale restaurant in the beautiful Hotel Wailea. It boasts a world class view and an imaginative menu, and we were anxiously anticipating our experience there. Unfortunately, the service, while friendly, was abysmally slow. We ordered cocktails when we were seated and waited nearly 20 minutes for them to arrive. We had to send the bus boy off twice on reconnaissance, and they arrived with our first course. The bread arrived with the entree, and while not a deal breaker, it did nothing to redeem the service impression. To be fair, the food was superb - we opted for the three course menu and thoroughly enjoyed each. (The Local Black Kale was particularly good.) However, we expected a far better experience overall.Special Features:
- Fantastic settingrustyjDined on 8/18/2014Wailea Hotel setting with stunning views. Been there twice this month. Exceptional warm Cesar salad with white anchovies. Unfortunately, Bolognaise not as good as I expected! My guests also enjoyed their meals but with some reservation. A huge disappointment was the lack of Tiramisu. IMHO, a serious flaw for an upmarket authentic Italian eatery like this! When I mentioned this to the server, he simply ignored me. One would expect he or the manager to come and say, "Chef will be delighted to make this for your party next time with 24 hours notice." Another pet peeve is not bringing me my bill ASAP when everyone has finished their meal. I want to pay so that I have the option of staying or leaving! We go to Ferraro's now - just perfect! 3.5**Special Features:
- Outstanding ServiceMugsDined on 8/17/2014My husband I ate at Capische on a lovely Sunday evening. We had the prix fixe menu with wine. Every course was presented beautifully and our waiter matched all the wines perfectly. I would highly recommend this restaurant to all who are in this lovely part of the world. MahaloSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2014We loved our experience at Capische. The service was impeccable, food outstanding, view was unbelievable. We will definitely return on our next visit to Maui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding tableBergesDined on 7/31/2014We had a lovely evening at Capische. The tables on the first level are separated by lovely plants and greens, creating a perfect setting for a quiet and romantic ambiance. The food was delicious and would recommend trying the Truffle Risotto. Amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing sunset and dinnerScooter88Dined on 7/30/2014The food and service alone would have been enough. However , the view of the sunset into the Maui pacific was not match during or entire stay on that island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in Maui!JB88Dined on 7/27/2014Excellent experience at Capische. One of the best restaurants we ate at on the whole island. Service was impeccable, food was fantastic. Sitting on the lanai offers an incredible view of the ocean and sunsets. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JerryVIPDined on 7/19/2014Unfortunately we went for the view AND the food - the view and Ambiance can't be beat, the Wine list was decent, but the menu was limited and the food just average. We went to a different restaurant every night for 10 days - this is the only one I would not repeat - just average , with above average pricing.Special Features:
- Great dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/18/2014Our dinner at Capische was wonderful! We were celebrating 2 wedding anniversaries, and the restaurant did not disappoint. The service was amazing the food was perfect! The chef came out twice to check on our meal. The wine pairings were right on. Overall a great experience!Special Features:
- romanticgoodVIPDined on 7/16/2014it may have been our best dinner on maui. we were seated in the garden which may be thought to take away from the view but we were pleasantly surprised by the perfect atmosphere, service and food. the food has always been good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Dinner for 2alleyjaneDined on 7/15/2014Capische serves up excellent food, good wine, and a gorgeous view. I was surprised at how few people were also dining while we were there. It is certainly a hidden gem if it is always this quiet!Special Features:
- Honeymoon DinnerSachM0Dined on 7/12/2014We had a beautiful dinner here one night on our honeymoon. I am a vegetarian and my wife a pescetarian and we both ate very very well. Highly recommend going with at least the 3 course tasting menu. The folks at Capische really made our dinner quite special. Very easy to talk to on the phone ahead of time and great customer service at the table. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingCopaceticVIPDined on 7/9/2014I've eaten here a few times in the last 4 years and have always been blown away by the food, the amazing sunsets and the service. We had a nice 2 top on the balcony with a great sunset view, but were seated next to a large family (kids, parents, grandparents) 15-ish, killed the ambience. I ordered the Bolognese and was pleased, but my boyfriend ordered a steak that was big island cattle raised...... tasteless. The steak was $60 which leads me to my final note of disappointment. I'm not sure when the price point of the restaurant was raised to ridiculous, but I'm embarrassed that I have been pushing this restaurant so hard to my friends. Even the fish special of the evening was $55. Really???? It's an ISLAND surrounded by fish.Special Features:
- Great food, ambiance & serviceShakaVIPDined on 7/6/2014Romantic outdoor seating with a beautiful view of the ocean. Servers were professional and knowledgeable. Food was authentic Italian that was refined, delicate and unique. My husband had ahi with vanilla bean flavor-unique and delicious. Vegetables grown in their own garden were very good. We hadn't been to Capische in a few years, but will definitely start going back. Highly recommend Capische for a scenic and romantic fine dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect NightwhiskeyinthewestDined on 7/4/2014We arrived early for our reservation so we could see the sunset...which turned out to be amazing...even the staff were taking pictures! Chad, the bartender was great...actually knew what a craft cocktail was and was happy to get creative and make anything we wanted. Our waiter was nice, friendly and patient. The sommelier made a great recommendation. The deck had a beautiful view and was a beautiful setting for dinner with my husband. All dishes were fresh and delicious! Only downfall...we were too full for dessert. Lastly, the hotel valet kindly drove us home since we finished late and our hotel shuttle wasn't available anymore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentJimDVIPDined on 7/4/2014Great food, service and atmosphere. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and sceneryRBS1Dined on 7/3/2014Excellent service from a very knowledgable waiter. The view is just amazing. I would recommend going for an earlish dinner to see the sunset...stunning! The 3-course pre-fix tasting menu is a great deal with well portioned plates. Food recommendations: For an appetizer, the quail is really good but a lot. Don't get the beef carpaccio (you've had better elsewhere). The best primi is the bolognase and the porcini crusted ahi as an entre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Even better than beforeDanielleDined on 7/1/2014My husband and I ate here on our wedding night five years ago. We just dined there again and it was better than either of us remembered. Primis, pastas, fish and steak are all very good. Service was also the best we had on Maui. We actually dined here twice this trip - once seated with an excellent view of the sunset and another night just at the bar - great cocktails. Try the tasting menu with wine pairings. I'm glad we gave Capische? another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fly in the saladOopsDined on 6/28/2014Our main concern with the food was, there was a fly in the Caesar salad. It was in between the leaves, which seemed to indicate the lettuce wasn't well washed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and view!AnneeatsDined on 6/26/2014We were visiting Hawaii with friends and decided to come here for an adult dinner. We decided to all have the $75 3 course meal which I think was definitely the way to go. It didn't include dessert. The mushroom risotto was so yummy! I even tried my husbands quail which was outstanding. For dessert you should definitely get the creme brûlée. We tried the donuts first but they were not good at all. Our friends had the creme brûlée and the waiter was more than willing to switch to a different dessert. The view was beautiful! Will definitely go back when we return to Hawaii. Bathrooms good be updated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply amazingLiLiDined on 6/9/2014A quiet place up the street from the top hotels in Wailea (Four Seasons, Grand Wailea, Fairmont, etc.) ... Capische offers a stunning view and small intimate dining area. The food was amazing, the service was great, and the ambience was perfect for a killer sunset and a get away from the resort dining experiences. Highly recommend it.Special Features:
- SmithVIPDined on 6/8/2014Food was more about presentation than substance. Found the waitress less than friendly and at times inpatient. Really put a damper on the experience.Special Features:
- MixedKiffVIPDined on 6/6/2014Setting was fantastic. Had the 3 course tasting. Food was mixed. Carpaccio lacked some flavor and there was too much acid in the sauce. It was also a bit tough. Pasta was pretty good but you don't go to Hawaii for pasta. Ahi Tuna was very good. Wine list was limited and overpriced relative to other spots on the island. Service was the real killer. Started off strong but noticed they kept switching waiters on us. As the night progressed and the restaurant emptied out it turned disastrous. We sat about 20 min between courses and at one point I didn't see one person even working. I finally had get up and find someone just to make sure they had forgotten about us before they closed. Skipped desert as we were exhausted at that point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experiencekiheigirlDined on 5/30/20141st time to Capische and will definitely be back again! The service & atmosphere were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 644 reviews are from the Capische reviews archive.
- A little disappointed this timeLaureliVIPDined on 5/25/2014Food was good, not great. Service the same. Lost some sparkle. We had the prix --terrible dry strawberry cake. Not the best mealSpecial Features:
- Gluten free friendlyGlutenfreeDined on 5/22/2014Staff was knowledgeable and attentive. Many gluten free options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The romantic evening gem in WailearestaurantsnobVIPDined on 5/22/2014Capische is a must on our list for our annual trip to Maui. It is so elegant and romantic with service that makes each patron feel special. This visit when we requested a seat with the outside view we were readily accommodated. All the staff displays a can do attitude no matter the request. The salads were full of fresh crisp greens with just the right amount of dressing to flavor but not overpower. The special fish of the evening was cooked to perfection again with subtle flavors that enhanced the dish. The gnocchi was el dente and very flavorful with the creamy butter sauce adding a hint of sweet and savory.Special Features:
- Amazing SunsetsNAY8Dined on 5/19/2014The experience was an exceptional time. Good drinks, great food, and an amazing sunset on the Lanai. We chose the prix fixe menu which allowed us to share several of the plates, every appetizer and one entree was delicious with the only exception being that my wife ordered the special (catch of the day) and it was over cooked and dry. Would definitely go back on my next vacation to Maui!Special Features:
- Very slow service. Unacceptable!MaceDined on 5/16/2014For the price you pay here service should be commensurate. Way too much time between meals. We ordered the prix fix first and second were good third just Ok not worth it.Special Features: