310 Baldwin Ave.
San Mateo, CA 94401Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.capellinis.com/
- Phone: 6503482296
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch hours 11:30 to 2 PM Monday thru Friday only. The restaurant is closed between 3PM & 5 PM Monday - Friday Bar opens at 5PM Nightly Dinner Hours Sunday & Monday & Tuesday 5:30PM to 9 PM Wed - Thursday 5:30 PM to 9:30 PM Fridays & Saturday 5:30 - 10PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Paul Bourrillion
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Capellini can accommodate parties up to 65 for lunch and dinner.
- Private Party Contact: Paul Bourrillion 6505564111
A word from Capellini
Opulent décor and sumptuous food best describes the restaurant atmosphere at Ristorante Capellini.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Capellini reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great evening as always. ParkingDEParkVIPDined on 3/8/2014Great evening as always. Parking is real concern. Need valet service.Special Features:
- Pasta por tutiBlorkyDined on 3/8/2014We went there for dinner with my elderly mother. Tasty antipasti followed by excellent ravioli 4 cheese and pesto; meat with amatricia sauce. I had spinach and ricotta dumplings with Gorgonzola sauce. The house merlot was great; dessert was tiramisu and bread pudding. We spent 3 times as much the night before at A steak house for a meal half as good. This is a really nice place: bed. There about 5 or 6 times. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Homemade pasta, fresh fish,MamaBearDined on 3/6/2014Homemade pasta, fresh fish, wood burning oven, everything was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice, standard Italian fare.FirstTimeCapperDined on 3/2/2014Everything we got was high-end, although standard, Italian food. The Grey Goose martinis were just perfect, literally, perfect. The other super notable thing was the Creme brûlée. We hung out and chatted until a little past closing time. They were gracious, packed an entree to go for one of our party to take home, without any feelings of pressure to exit. The team of servers were totally on point, at one time, 3 of them attending to us at once. Just great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceOptimusDinerVIPDined on 3/1/2014We go to this restaurant at least once or twice a year and are never disappointed. Their menu changes a little, as does their wine list but the food is always yummy and the service is always attentive. Our water glasses were always refilled and our waiter always came by at the appropriate moment (she never came by when we had just taken a forkful of food!) We split a butter lettuce salad (and she even had them put the salad on separate plates without us asking), had the Veal Scallopini and the cheese raviolis (which we did not split!), split the Tiramisu, and shared a half bottle of an amazing 2007 Brunello. The restaurant was crowded but we were ever rushed. This restaurant should be on everyone's go-to list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Standard has droppedthisisad5Dined on 2/28/2014The last time I went here the food was outstanding. Unfortunately this time the food was oily, tasteless and seemed to have been rushed out of the kitchen. I did not eat the appetizer or my main meal, my wife barely finished her meal either.
- Too hot to handleChillDined on 2/25/2014Overall an enjoyable experience with a very professional and friendly server. Food was very good. Unfortunately we were under a heater vent that made it so hot that all I could think about was how uncomfortable it wasSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good, far from greatAntonyMDined on 2/19/2014Maybe our standards are too high -- Capellini was highly recommended by friends. I found the risotto overcooked and close to gummy; shrimps on couscous were served warm not hot. On the positive side -- the specials on glasses of wine were excellent; the overall feeling is friendly, service attentive, and the look of the place is warm and inviting, esp. the long bar. But if you are looking for first-rate Italian, this is not it. If you want a decent neighborhood joint with some extras, it's fine.Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/16/2014The food was fresh and delicious! Love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evening!Bee2niceDined on 2/15/2014Great place. Good menu & wine list. Most enjoyable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Service, Company, TableOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/15/2014We had a wonderful evening. I hadn't been to Capellini since we had moved away from the Bay Area some 5 years ago, and we chose it for a birthday dinner. I was worried that perhaps things might have changed since our move, but we were not disappointed at all. Everything was wonderful. We had requested an upstairs table away from the bustle of the downstairs and got a great private table on the second level where we could converse at normal decibels and still have the feel of the busy restaurant below. Service was great and the food was everything I remembered. Our companions enjoyed it as well. Thank you again for a great evening.Special Features:
- great dining place. ate downstairsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2014great dining place. ate downstairs in the quieter room. the food as usual, was fantastic, eye-appealing, and very tasty. the veal scallopine melted in your mouth. always love going here for a romantic evening together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!SFfoodieDined on 2/8/2014This is absolutely my favorite go-to restaurant. Whenever I need to take someone to a place that has the full package and always delivers, I go to Capellini. The food is always stellar, the servers always friendly and knowledgeable, and I just love the interior. You always feel like you're eating somewhere special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedJohnDined on 2/7/2014I have had several fine meals at carpaccios, but sadly disappointed by cappelinni.Special Features:
- Petrale PicattaJlovesYDined on 1/25/2014The Petrale Picatta was so tasty and would order this again. I like the fact that you can modify your plate and instead of the potatoes and garlic veggies I ordered the plate with no potatoes and just the veggies (no garlic). I cleaned my plate! Nice selection of wine; my date ordered half a bottle which was perfect for just the two of us. I must also add everyone was nice there, we were happy with the service.Special Features:
- A Great Lunch Meeting at CapelliniLeonardVIPDined on 1/17/2014Rose and our waiter were both so great. We got a nice table and the service was so good. The food came out and it was all great. I had their special beet salad (not regularly on the menu). Even their bread and olive oil with balsamic vinegar was good. Overall, another great experience at Capellini!Special Features:
- Capellini is always a safe bet!LeonardVIPDined on 1/14/2014Rose always takes great care of my guests at Capellini. I always enjoy my meals at the restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful panne cotta desert!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/13/2014Still one of the best on the Peninsula...very consistent, with warm staff, large selection of delicious and varied items, and beautiful multi-story venue. Always love the oysters asiago. And have discovered the wonderful panne cotta desert.Special Features:
- Supremo ResoranteMauiJimDined on 1/7/2014Capellini is one of the best restaurants to take people you love and care about. The food, the choices, the atmosphere are the best.Special Features:
- Italian Food Well PreparedAngelaVIPDined on 12/31/2013The restaurant has an extensive wine list, with several splits which are perfect for couples. The pasta dishes are well prepared and perfect for sharing. The building is one of the oldest in San Mateo with lovely tile floors and beamed ceilings. It was a lovely experience on a busy night but the staff was attentive without being intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FriendlyYiayiaDined on 12/31/2013Reservations for 8 on New Year's Eve; added 1 more at the last minute; hostess was very accommodating; waiter was most helpful & friendly; had a great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay, not greatlrf123Dined on 12/31/2013The staff is nice, the service good. However, the food is just not that great.
- Food was delicious. LightOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/31/2013Food was delicious. Light Tuscany fare. Food temperature - perfect. Ceasar salid lettice- perfectly crunchy. Waiter - wonderful service, but not constantly hovering. Intimate booths, ideal for special occasions.Special Features:
- DeliciouspeninsuliteDined on 12/31/2013Went for New Year's Eve.. Absolutely delicious.. Rack of lamb was to die for.. Attentive service and fabulous drinks.. All I could hope for.. I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Having been to Capellini'sOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/24/2013Having been to Capellini's many times over the years the food never disappoints. While our server was very sweet, and nice we did have a problem with our appetizers coming out, we waited quite a while for them and ended up getting our salads first, chalked this up to it being a holiday and exceptionally busy- My big problem was that even though I made my reservation 3 weeks prior to Christmas Eve, my table of 7 people was sat in the bar. There was a large group waiting for a table standing two deep, no one could get through and my party kept getting bumped. We also had children with us that shouldn't have been sat in the bar. I can assure you if it was not 7pm on Christmas Eve we would have left to find a more comfortable restaurant.
- DisappointedNC94401Dined on 12/22/2013Usually "off the charts" appetizers and entree! Was it the 'b' team working or what ? Waiter could have cared less about us -- entrees were all served less than serving temperature! We were overcharged for our drinks, and server couldn't out how to split a check between 2 credit cards . NOT the world class service and food we are used to having here !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, awesome atmoshereGCS1VIPDined on 12/18/2013Haven't been to Capellini in quite a few years & I can't tell you what a wonderful time me & my family had. We went here to celebrate my son's 22nd birthday with my parents who are elderly. We were seated down stairs which I was worried about, but there is an elevator, so this is GREAT for people who have a hard time getting around. The restaurant was all decked out for the holidays and had a wonderful ambiance. The staff was so attentive & the food was excellent. All home-made pastas & really nice size portions which made my two sons very happy. Prices are very resaonable. We will defiinitely come back here. This may be our new "Special" occasion restaurant. If you haven't been here in a while, try it! You will pleasantly surprised.Special Features:
- good place. nice food. slow serviceSivaDined on 12/14/2013I had to get up and walk up to the waiter and remind him that he has to mind us - after waiting for almost 20 minutes after being promptly seated. We were seated on the the top floor. Everything is great except for the waiter delay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We sincerely, appreciate theOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/13/2013We sincerely, appreciate the accommodations that were made, especially since our group was slightly late. My understanding restaurants, do not have to hold reservations, especially during a busy holiday season if the group is late. But the server was knowledgeable, the hostess was friendly and welcoming, the foods was delicious and the whole ambiance was perfect for a girls night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DannyBDannyBDined on 12/13/2013Eat was a busy holiday celebration evening, so I understand why my small table of two received only average service. However, I too was celebrating an event with my wife. Unfortunately, I was never approached if there was a special event. Too bad!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seems the kitchen may needMarkDined on 12/13/2013Seems the kitchen may need to work on it's mojo. Had the sand dabs and they were drenched in olive oil and over-cooked. Very disappointing.
- An Old Favorite Does Not DisappointOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/10/2013Capellini is an old favorite of ours and it did not disappoint. The noise level was such that it was easy to have an enjoyable conversation and not be shouting at each other...while I wish they would have more new entrees on the menu, I always love their traditional favorites.Special Features:
- DisappointedDisappintedVIPDined on 12/9/2013Met for annual holiday luncheon. It was so cold in the restaurant we had to wear our coats the entire time. we asked the server if the heat could be turned up. he said he would turn off the a/c. We knew the it couldn't have been on since the temp outside was in the 40's.Every time the door opened another blast of cold air hit us. we asked if the front door was left open.Waiter checked & said the heater was not working. No apology nor offer to buy us coffee.Not sure if the heater really is broken since I was there last week for a luncheon in downstairs banquet room & the main dining room upstairs was just as freezing. I would have thought if the heater was broken they would have had it repaired. Food always good, but no heat.
- Just not the same....MarkVIPDined on 12/8/2013A group met and ate here for a birthday event...The food quality just does not seem to be the same, the heat was off and we were all freezing with no improvement..Ate with out jackets on the entire time, no apology from the staff let alone compensation on the check. So disappointing...
- Always delicious!lattelaurieDined on 12/7/2013We've been going to Capellini's for years. From the hostess to the server, always great hospitality. Food is always delicious. Our favorites: butter lettuce salad and the warm brownie for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Mixed BagPaytonCatDined on 12/7/2013Recommended by a friend. I thought it sounded perfect for a "date night" with my husband. Main room has a lovely ambience; lighting and decor are beautiful. Hostess was gracious and welcoming. Our waiter was very nice when we could get him. We felt very neglected between the entree and the dessert. Food was average quality (we had green salad, spaghetti and meatballs, and gnocchi) but pricey for what it was. All in all, a rather disappointing experience. I may give it another chance if the occasion arises, but not sure I'd go out of my way.Special Features:
- Back for More RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/4/2013On Dec. 4th, my husband and I took a close friend to celebrate her birthday. We wanted to treat her to somewhere special, and of course, we took her to Capellini. We chose a booth, which was located nicely, in the back of the restaurant. We were waited upon promptly. The waiter and staff were very friendly and the food service was excellent. The crowning touch of the evening was when the waiter came with a serving of gelato and a candle lit, with two wafer sticks, and sang Happy Birthday---all by himself!! Pure unadulterated joy of service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Capellini is always goodLeonardVIPDined on 12/4/2013Capellini is always a great venue for business dinners and lunches. The staff are always so nice, especially the lady hosts (both of them). Rose has become a friend, too. I do wish that the beet salad would be a part of the regular menu. They teased me with it by serving it in the past. But it is no longer on the menu. Bummer. Other than that, I highly recommend Capellini for small or large dining needs!Special Features:
- Damon is the BEST waiter andronkarrVIPDined on 12/2/2013Damon is the BEST waiter and Linda is a great greeter. I will always refer this restaurant to my clients.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemKuCowDined on 11/30/2013I always make a trip here when visiting in San Mateo. Very nice Italian food and they have a wonderful Ginger cocktail!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.