1809 Union St
San Francisco, CA 94123Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.capanninasf.com/
- Phone: (415) 409-8001
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Our full menu is available for catered events.
- Private Party Facilities: For larger parties or private events, please call the restaurant for details.
- Private Party Contact: Michele Di Ruocco 4154098001
- Special Events: We have a Prix Fixe menu everyday from 5:00-6:00 PM, a three course dinner for $25.00 per person. Right now we are serving Black & White Truffle menu specials.
A word from Capannina
Everything about Capannina is soft and subtle. The decor - celadon green upper walls, ambra marble below, handmade glass lamps, hanging mirror panels and faux columns that glow from the lights behind them - is simple yet striking. The marble, the lamps, and many of the ingredients used in the excellent dishes are all imported from Italy and the subtle softness of the interior extends to the food: eclectic Italian with an emphasis on Southern Italian tradition while still maintaining well-orchestrated choices from all over Italy. With pasta made in-house and delightfully fresh buffalo mozzarella coming from Italy, Capannina offers the essence of subtlety in the artistic presentation of its menu, along with an atmosphere that conveys the slightest California touch. PLEASE NOTE: We serve a prefix menu, consisting of a three-course dinner for $25 per person every day from 5pm to 6pm. Thereafter, we serve a regular menu. Black and white truffles imported from Itali & a seasonal menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Capannina reviews from OpenTable diners
146 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (107)fit for foodies (86)romantic (41)notable wine list (40)special occasion (39)great for outdoor dining (17)good for groups (14)hot spot (10)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (7)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Good Italian fooddavidDined on 11/22/2014We all enjoyed this place. The food was very good, the service attentive. Prices about right for the place, not cheap but not too expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/22/2014Great dinner during the truffle season! Will definitely be back even it isn't truffle season.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost therehauterouteVIPDined on 11/19/2014Overall good experience but they go overboard on adding truffle oil to just about everything, which seems to be the trendiest thing these days. I personally hate the stuff and it wasn't stated on the menu that it was in the tortellini, which were otherwise excellent---but this ruined it. The molten chocolate dessert was delicious and the wine list on offer was a good value. The only other disappointment was the mozzarella, arugula and prosciutto salad, which arrived soggy and wilted, with little flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deliciious food in a warm and inviting settingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/14/2014All of our meals were fantastic! The salmon was the best I had ever had. Lovely spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Capannina was so good, we had to go back.NormanDianaDined on 11/12/2014The enthusiastic Italian service complements the fine food. We recommend it, and suggest making a reservation. It gets busy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- brianpVIPDined on 11/9/2014Good food, nice staff, great experience. Woould recommend for a small dinner gathering.Special Features:
- kind of expensivevisitorDined on 11/8/2014overall okay. expensive also got the feeling that we needed to vacate the table on a Saturday night. we won't be going back.
- Best Italian Resturant in SFDaveVIPDined on 11/8/2014This is an authentic Italian restaurant with an Italian owner an all professional Italian waiters. When in season order the white or black truffle pasta. It's amazing! Extensive Italian wine list as well & reasonably priced. This is a neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Three visits, three excellent mealsJoeblowDined on 11/8/2014We were at Capannina on Saturday night. We booked for 6pm, but it dawned on me that their excellent Early Bird special was from 5-6pm, so we made a mad dash, found a parking spot right across the street. Three times my wife has had the grilled salmon, each time the salmon was cooked perfectly-impressive! I ordered a non-alcoholic beer, they went out and bought one because they don't normally carry one-impressive! As usual, the service is friendly, informative, busboys are helpful without being overbearing. Such a neighborhood gem!Special Features:
- Excellent food and servicekrwadaDined on 11/8/2014Capanninna's food and service is very good. It is like having a fine dining experience in the Spanish Quarter of RomeSpecial Features:
- New findOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/6/2014We'll be back! Nice atmosphere, accommodating, and good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/5/2014It's like I was back in Italy! Bravo The octopus appetizer is the best in the city. Very good service and great neighborhood ambianceSpecial Features:
- Excellant Location. Great FoodFoodmeDined on 10/24/2014This place has a certain old school, Little Italy charm, but it's also modern. It makes for a very approachable, neighborhood spot with really good Italian food. Located in a really cool part of SF. Lots of shopping, bars and dining in walking distance. Very small, tables are really crammed in there, but that's because they have great food. Everything we had was excellent. Solid wine list with some moderately priced and unique choices. Reasonable food prices for SF too. Servers did a good job maneuvering through the tiny spaces in between tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely perfectBinocheDined on 10/23/2014Our second time here and definitely our favorite neighborhood establishment. We forgot they have an early bird prix fix meal which is amazing value. Each dish from the pappardelle with wild boar and the tortellini with a wine reduction sauce with fragrant and crisp herbs which melted in your mouth was superb. The service was very attentive. The establishment is definitly high quality on every detail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding8by10VIPDined on 10/19/2014Definitely one of the best Italian restaurants in SF. The short ribs tortellini are truly amazing. We have been there several times and the service is exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Italian in a great hoodJimDVIPDined on 10/15/2014Capannina is still consistently serving excellent Italian fare and definitely worth going to - even if you don't live in the neighborhood. It is certainly easy enough to get to, and right in the main shopping / dining area of UNION Street (Cow Hollow/Marina area). PLUS the restaurant is always very accomadating witch to me is a big plus. On the night I visited, my dining companion asked for an entree they used to serve (Gnocchi Gorganzola), and without hesitation the waiter said they would be happy to make for him. Not only did they make it, it was outstanding. I had the pork Milanese, and as always it was perfectly cooked, and tender enough to cut with your fork. My only complaint is the wine list is getting a bit expensive.Special Features:
- Amazing meal and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/14/2014The mozzarella heirloom tomato salad was amazing! The linguine and clams were soooo tasty! The braised beef tortellini was absolutely incredible! I've been here several times and have always had a wonderful meal and a great selection of wine as well, not to mention the amazing service!Special Features:
- sfsfVIPDined on 10/11/2014We had a very disappointing dinner and won't be back. While the pasta was okay, the swordfish was cold and tasteless. Additionally, the waiter never brought our second glass of wine. Lastly, the restaurant was so loud that conversation was almost impossible.
- Real Italian restaurantRonny1Dined on 10/4/2014Great Italian restaurant, very good food with real Italian taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We keep going back!CouldBeBetterVIPDined on 10/2/2014There are many choices for us to walk to dinner, but we keep going back to Cappaninna because the food is so good.Special Features:
- Superb!bluebuddha88Dined on 9/27/2014Took the wife to Capannina for anniversary dinner: fantastic food and service. The risotto and the Tuscan brick-pressed chicken were delicious. Tables are set close together and can get quite noisy -- but the meal and attentive staff cancel out any negative.Special Features:
- Nailed ItPHL2NYC2SFOVIPDined on 9/27/2014Not sure why it took my wife and I to find this place, but now it's heavy in the rotation, and on our hosting agenda for out-of-town visitors. Fantastic food, service, everything...
- Lovely!drsullyDined on 9/27/2014We went to Capannina on the recommendation of a friend. Making reservations was easy with open table, and the restaurant called that afternoon to confirm. We arrived on time and were seated immediately in a cozy booth in the back corner. The restaurand was somewhat noisy but the corner table was quieter. The staff were very attentive and friendly, but not intrusive to our romantic dinner. We never had to ask for anything. The food was divine, from the appetizer to the pasta to the entree to the dessert. We overstuffed ourselves because the food was so good! I highly recommend Capannina for a dinner date in San Francisco!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant SurpriseJackNVDined on 9/26/2014I don't venture too much into the Marina for social events but was very pleased with my trip to Capannina. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable, attentive but not pushy. They knew their menu and they knew there wine. There was not a long wait for any of the courses, they were fresh and delicious when delivered and the spacing of the courses was excellent. It's small, the bar is tiny, a little bit loud when the dining room is full and after 7 reservations are a must, but the food and staff outweigh any of those concerns. I would go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- First visit!hbfam14VIPDined on 9/25/2014Food was terrific and service attentive and relaxed. Really enjoyed it and will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/21/2014Despite its location on trendy Union Street, Capaninna is the real deal. Very good food, attentive service and reasonable prices. What's not to like?I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where Italians eat in SFSpencer1228Dined on 9/21/2014Capannina never disappoints. This romantic little gem has a great kitchen and staff. They serve the kind of food that's so good that whole tables go quiet as people eat (or trade bites). Consistent, delicious, special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great Italian experiencesfrefVIPDined on 9/20/2014Capannina is the complete package, and one of our favorite dining venues in SF. The lively dinner crowd and the décor create an ambiance that is energetic but intimate at the same time. Owner Michele is the consummate host and makes every diner feel as if he or she is being invited into his home for dinner. The service is always top notch. My wife and I have dined at Capaninna for six years and find that the cuisine is consistently top tier Italian - there is no menu item that we would not recommend. Some personal favorites are: starters => black ink risotto w/scallops, beet salad; pastas => all, but with a shout out to the pappardelle and the orecchiette; mains => veal scaloppini al limone, salmone alla griglia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian neighborhood diningRavioliDined on 9/20/2014This is a true neighborhood Italian restaurant, with great food and service. If you want Italian food in a lively atmosphere, this is for you. We look forward to going back to try more of the menu. Folks should be prepared to meet your neighbors, as they have packed the tables in to accommodate as many as possible. Reservations on the weekends seem to be a good idea if not required.Special Features:
- Very GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014Very good neighborhood restaurant. It was nice to go somewhere with good food outside of the tourist areas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brush up on your ItalianDeliciousandNutritiousVIPDined on 9/20/2014Our server was straight from Italy and most pleasant. The salads were generous, as were the main courses. Every bite was delicious. This is definitely a place we'll keep coming back to.Special Features:
- Fabyc5VIPDined on 9/19/2014We went by coincidence it was the only restaurant with available tables and it was a big surprise! One of the best restaurants I've been in San Francisco! Great menu real Italian, and great pricesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic and original ItalianPaul31Dined on 9/19/2014Wonderful, friendly server. Good suggestions. Food is quite tasty with surprisingly good portions. Roasted pressed italian chicken was amazing. Squid ink Scallop risotto was exotic and incredibly tasty. Panna cotta was smooth creamy and delicious. Wine selection good. Warm, comfortable atmosphere. Popular place, so every seat in the house was taken, including some street seating.Special Features:
- a findShihuVIPDined on 9/18/2014This small neighborhood gem is one of the best Italian restaurants in San Francisco. The food is prepared and served beautifully , the wine list is priced fairly, and the proprietor is always attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Italian FooderniecDined on 9/18/2014Finding really authentic Italian food in San Francisco is difficult...Capannina provides that. You could be in Capri enjoying the same fare.Special Features:
- Great Early Bird!!jaa1Dined on 9/18/2014From 5 to 6, this restaurant offers you a wonderful selection from their regular menu of large portions and great soup/salad, entree, and any dessert for 25.00 per person. Loved it. The food was ample, fresh, and very tasty, too!Special Features:
- Italy On Union Dtreetbruce09VIPDined on 9/18/2014My wife and I enjoyed the best Italian. We were warmly greeted, and sat down immediately. The atmosphere was quiet, and the decor was warm and inviting. I started with a glass of cabernet from Napa, perfect. My starter was the Black Pepper Carpaccio Di Manzo. It was with a mustard dill sauce and argula, the best ever. My wife had the mozzarella di bufala con prosciutto pepperoni, excellent. for the mains we ate Veal Scaloppini Al Limmone,again the best my wife ever ate. I had the tortolini with a bufoal ragu the that was marvelous. I will go back to Capannina , and make it one of my go to places. Bravo…..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/12/2014Enjoyed our dinner. Seared Tuna was delicious. Service as friendly. Will be back. Only downside: not much space between tables.Special Features:
- HappyDinerVIPDined on 9/11/2014Always delicious, and with impeccable service! A real gem, great for both special and normal need some great Italian occasions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurantfoodie415Dined on 9/6/2014The food was amazing. It was prepared with care. It wad prepared like it wad an art piece and it tasted delicious. The service was really good. The server had a very strong italian accent which made the vibe even better. I definitely will come back. I would recommend to friends.. but at the same time want to keep it to myself so I can bring my dates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.