1809 Union St
San Francisco, CA 94123Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.capanninasf.com/
- Phone: 4154098001
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Our full menu is available for catered events.
- Private Party Facilities: For larger parties or private events, please call the restaurant for details.
- Private Party Contact: Michele Di Ruocco 4154098001
- Special Events: We have a Prix Fixe menu everyday from 5:00-6:00 PM, a three course dinner for $25.00 per person. Right now we are serving Black & White Truffle menu specials.
A word from Capannina
Everything about Capannina is soft and subtle. The decor - celadon green upper walls, ambra marble below, handmade glass lamps, hanging mirror panels and faux columns that glow from the lights behind them - is simple yet striking. The marble, the lamps, and many of the ingredients used in the excellent dishes are all imported from Italy and the subtle softness of the interior extends to the food: eclectic Italian with an emphasis on Southern Italian tradition while still maintaining well-orchestrated choices from all over Italy. With pasta made in-house and delightfully fresh buffalo mozzarella coming from Italy, Capannina offers the essence of subtlety in the artistic presentation of its menu, along with an atmosphere that conveys the slightest California touch. PLEASE NOTE: We serve a prefix menu, consisting of a three-course dinner for $25 per person every day from 5pm to 6pm. Thereafter, we serve a regular menu. Black and white truffles imported from Itali & a seasonal menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Capannina reviews from OpenTable diners
130 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (99)fit for foodies (68)romantic (42)special occasion (40)notable wine list (33)kid-friendly (11)great for outdoor dining (7)hot spot (7)good for groups (6)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Pasta Carbonara was disappointingPCKaDined on 8/23/2014The Caesar salad with crab was delicious, lightly dressed- perfect. Carbonara is a decadent pasta that I judiciously treat myself to. It came well- presented, topped with shaved black truffles. The pasta was al dente but it did not come in a silky, shiny sauce as carbonara should. Rather, the pasta came in a clump, as it appears the egg had turned grainy. The owner was extremely pleasant however he looked right at my dish as it was set down before me and failed to make amends (He thought it was properly prepared? Or he felt I wouldn't know the difference- wrong!) I did enjoy the glass of Italian wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too crowdedOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 8/21/2014food remains top notched.............restaurant continues to up-scale itself but but it is a little too crowded they are trying to " pack them in " pushing small tables for 2 together to get more people in.otherwise the best neighborhood restaurantsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kudos to CapanninamrtNsfDined on 8/19/2014We were looking for an early dinner in Cow Hollow, and could not have been happier with the meal we had at Capannina. Gracious hospitality, a scrumptious menu, thoughtful service, reasonably priced, all reasons to look forward to our next visit. "Molto Bene" for a memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhood gemBunnyDined on 8/18/2014Lovely overall dining experience. Unfortunately we made the wrong menu choice. Delicate and delicious sanddabs were served atop a strong (harsh) zucchini with tomato sauce. The sauces totally fought each other. Excellent wines. Will try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A mustCjLaniVIPDined on 8/16/2014One of the best meals we have ever had. Service was also the best. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dukeofdiningDined on 8/11/2014Staff is welcoming and knowledgeable and very appreciative when we shared a special wine we had brought. The food was excellent:we all had seafood, tuna, sand dabs and swordfish--and all were prepared perfectly and accompanied beautifully. Small and close tables so it can be noisy but we asked to be moved to booth in the rear which worked out great. Will be back.Special Features:
- Dinner with FriendsChemystreDined on 8/9/2014I found this restaurant based on its reviews and it did not disappoint. The homemade tortellini with spare ribs and a red wine reduction was fantastic, and the two of us that had it both agreed we would return just to enjoy this dish again. I also had the rack of lamb which was perfectly cooked and very lean.Special Features:
- Just okaykellyVIPDined on 8/8/2014After so many great reviews, I expected more. It wasn't bad, but also, nothing to write home about. With all the great spots in SF, I'm just not sure this is near the top of the list.
- Another wonderful meal.VoyacomerDined on 8/8/2014We've eaten at Capinnina many times, and are never disappointed. Good food, simply yet elegantly prepared, with wonderful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful find!Luv2eatDined on 8/5/2014While recently visiting San Francisco our family of 4 adults and 2 kids stumbled upon this restaurant via Yelp. We could not have been more blessed. All of our meals were delicious, the service was great and the owner was a delight to talk to. Highly recommend this to those in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food carried the eveningSurprisedDined on 7/30/2014Food was creative and imaginative; Great for large parties; Not so great for a couple wanting to have a conversationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a gem!CushionPeakDined on 7/29/2014OpenTable helped me save the evening when my boss's original plan went south. Everyone raved after dining at this welcoming, compact and delightful establishment with a fabulous menu and a killer selection of wine. Super fresh and friendly. Can't wait to return to the bay and enjoy another evening at Capannina. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticBigAlVIPDined on 7/28/2014This is the best restaurant on Union St. Food is fantastic and the wine list is reasonably priced. Excellent fish and pasta dishes. Go-you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Disappointing!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/27/2014The food was not bad but disappointing, especially after reading the reviews. Our waiter must have been in a hurry, he was at our table every 5 minutes to take our order we couldn't enjoy a glass of wine before our meal. When we ordered, the food was out right away. He must have been told to turn the tables that night, not sure if I go back.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood gemReseDined on 7/25/2014We shared the gnocchi for an appetizer and it was so delicate and delicious. The seared ahi tuna over spicy prawn risotto was very tender and had amazing flavor. We will definitely return again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- truffleReviewerDined on 7/24/2014one of the best dinner that I have ever had.: Truffle specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014Capannina is a fabulous restaurant! We were directed there by a stranger we met in a store and were very happy with our choice. The portions are average but the seasoning and preparation were outstanding. We enjoyed the Italian white very much and then had a fabulous Napa Valley red. Very fun experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AddieVIPDined on 7/22/2014Really a neat, dependable place. Good food, great service AND you can hear. That makes all the difference. :)Special Features:
- Must VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/14/2014True italian with great technique. Amazing all aroundI would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as the first time!JoeblowDined on 7/13/2014We ate at Capannina a while back and were so impressed with the food that we came back on our anniversary with our family. The Early Bird special is a great deal-wife had the salmon and I had the papardelle with wild boar ragout. The salmon was so spot on the first time I was curious if they could do it again. . . curiosity satisfied. It was sooo tender and just cooked, juicy and melt in your mouth. The papardelle was satisfying and flavorful, and the portions weren't overwhelming nor skimpy. Caesar salad with crab was so fresh. Dessert was warm chocolate cake with hazelnut gelato. . .WOW! Service was very attentive, water glass always filled, dishes cleared. Would return again!Special Features:
- TastebudsDined on 7/12/2014Great veal dish and wine selection. The beef carpaccio was mediocre. Tiramisu was very delicious. Won't mind going back to try other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a fantastic mealSteveKDined on 7/12/2014My wife and I were visiting SanFrancisco on an impromptu trip from the east coast. We flew in that day and made reservations based on the reviews in Zagats. I can tell you we were impressed. The service was impeccable. I had the papradelle with wild boar and my wife had the lamb chops. Both dishes in our opinion were at the top of our lists for the best we have had. The wines offered by the glass were a good selection and reasonably priced. I travel a lot with my job and am lucky to have enjoyed meals in fine restaurants all over North America. This reataurant will be at or near the top of my list. All in all a wonderful restaurant and highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will go back for sure!gr8tDined on 7/12/2014Went to celebrate my mom's birthday. When I was searching for a good Italian restaurant via OpenTable, one of my criteria is to have a good noise level environment so I can spend some good quality time with my parents. Second was they gave us a good, big enough table for 3 of us so we can sit comfortably. Third was I wrote a note through my reservation that it is my mom's bday celebration, and they made a candle on the dessert my ordered. We all liked the food, and the experience was wonderful. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Amazing Italian CuisinecompudocVIPDined on 7/11/2014You don't expect to find Italian food this good in your neighborhood! Lovely menu. Good wine list to accompoany it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingRespectfullyYoursDined on 7/11/2014my girlfriend and I enjoyed an amazing date night on Friday night must come if you've never been in this area or love Italian food. make sure you come a little early to enjoy the neighborhood shops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific Find!EllenDined on 7/7/2014Capannina was terrific. Wonderful food, great service, expansive menu. We all ordered different entrees and everyone was very happy with their choices. My ciopinno was outstanding. Will absolutely go back - and often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Quiet Intimate RestaurantSFlocalVIPDined on 7/3/2014One of our favorites! Always a great meal and a warm and friendly atmosphere. The Italian food is excellent and very well presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/2/2014Had a great dinner. Will for sure be back! Went with family and everyone enjoyed their meal Each of us had a different meal and all were really very good. Fun place to take quest from out of town.Special Features:
- Love itCrubearDined on 7/1/2014Best chef on Union St. Excellent food and vibrant atmosphere. Can get loud, but the food & service are nearly perfect...Special Features:
- Italy in San FransiscoBeachbabeDined on 7/1/2014We came here after our long flight and were looking for something close to the hotel. Wow what a meal! We went with the three course meal. I felt like I was back in Italy. The food was delicious, the waiter was attentive and the feel of the restaurant was calming. We felt so relaxed after our long flight that we were able to enjoy the rest of our evening.Special Features:
- Nice italian restaurant In SfAndreaDined on 6/28/2014Good restaurant: excellent service, elegant ambience in a nice area, very goog foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always welcomingpprinterVIPDined on 6/28/2014One of the best Italian restaurants in The City. Authentic in every way.Special Features:
- Delicious dinnerFoodfinderDined on 6/26/2014Enjoyed excellent salads, entrees and dessert. The mixed seafood grill, tortellini and veal dishes were perfect! Ciappino was ok. Warm and professional service with a nice neighborhood vibe, though a little loud. Go early for quiet conversation.Special Features:
- Not Momma's spaghetti, it's better!JojoDined on 6/25/2014The cuisine is authentic Italian. If you are looking for spaghetti and meatballs this restaurant is not for you. Every course was a culinary delight!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulJosiDined on 6/25/2014Always treated well, with cordial service and delicious meals. The desserts are exceptional.Special Features:
- DELICIOUSafricanqueen9999Dined on 6/23/2014The food here is always EXCELLENT! they know how to make tasty, and clean food, I have never had a bad meal there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed resultsCarmelValley1Dined on 6/16/2014Mixed because my wife was not enthused with her dinner while I thought my brick chicken was excellent. Wine list was adequate but the service was excellent. Noise level was loud but not obnoxious - friendly and active. .Special Features:
- Father's Day Dinner at CapanninaRobinDined on 6/15/2014We went to Capannina for Father's Day dinner and were very pleased with the food and the service. We had the $25 price fix dinner which is offered from 5-6 PM every day. Here were my choices which were very good: antipasti (caesar salad with crab), second (grilled salmon) and dessert (cranberry pear tart with vanilla bean gelato). The dessert was amazing. I would go back for that dessert. Our server Lorenzo was excellent--very friendly, knowledgable and attentive.Special Features:
- BBLLVIPDined on 6/9/2014We go here often. It is very good and consistent. One of the best Italian restaurants in SF. Very friendly.
- Fine mealpassion4foodDined on 6/6/2014We had an early and excellent dinner. The early bird dinner is quite a bargain. Portions are ample and easily sharable. Quality was excellent on the chicken and the seafood over spinach risotto. Profiteroles were excellent way to finish. Place was quiet while we were there and service was excellent at this hour. We will surely return and have recommended this place to friends.Special Features: