1809 Union St
San Francisco, CA 94123Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.capanninasf.com/
- Phone: 4154098001
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Our full menu is available for catered events.
- Private Party Facilities: For larger parties or private events, please call the restaurant for details.
- Private Party Contact: Michele Di Ruocco 4154098001
- Special Events: We have a Prix Fixe menu everyday from 5:00-6:00 PM, a three course dinner for $25.00 per person. Right now we are serving Black & White Truffle menu specials.
A word from Capannina
Everything about Capannina is soft and subtle. The decor - celadon green upper walls, ambra marble below, handmade glass lamps, hanging mirror panels and faux columns that glow from the lights behind them - is simple yet striking. The marble, the lamps, and many of the ingredients used in the excellent dishes are all imported from Italy and the subtle softness of the interior extends to the food: eclectic Italian with an emphasis on Southern Italian tradition while still maintaining well-orchestrated choices from all over Italy. With pasta made in-house and delightfully fresh buffalo mozzarella coming from Italy, Capannina offers the essence of subtlety in the artistic presentation of its menu, along with an atmosphere that conveys the slightest California touch. PLEASE NOTE: We serve a prefix menu, consisting of a three-course dinner for $25 per person every day from 5pm to 6pm. Thereafter, we serve a regular menu. Black and white truffles imported from Itali & a seasonal menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Capannina reviews from OpenTable diners
150 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (111)fit for foodies (86)romantic (47)special occasion (44)notable wine list (42)great for outdoor dining (14)kid-friendly (11)hot spot (11)good for groups (10)late-night find (6)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Amazing meal and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/14/2014The mozzarella heirloom tomato salad was amazing! The linguine and clams were soooo tasty! The braised beef tortellini was absolutely incredible! I've been here several times and have always had a wonderful meal and a great selection of wine as well, not to mention the amazing service!Special Features:
- sfsfVIPDined on 10/11/2014We had a very disappointing dinner and won't be back. While the pasta was okay, the swordfish was cold and tasteless. Additionally, the waiter never brought our second glass of wine. Lastly, the restaurant was so loud that conversation was almost impossible.
- We keep going back!CouldBeBetterVIPDined on 10/2/2014There are many choices for us to walk to dinner, but we keep going back to Cappaninna because the food is so good.Special Features:
- Superb!bluebuddha88Dined on 9/27/2014Took the wife to Capannina for anniversary dinner: fantastic food and service. The risotto and the Tuscan brick-pressed chicken were delicious. Tables are set close together and can get quite noisy -- but the meal and attentive staff cancel out any negative.Special Features:
- Nailed ItPHL2NYC2SFOVIPDined on 9/27/2014Not sure why it took my wife and I to find this place, but now it's heavy in the rotation, and on our hosting agenda for out-of-town visitors. Fantastic food, service, everything...
- Lovely!drsullyDined on 9/27/2014We went to Capannina on the recommendation of a friend. Making reservations was easy with open table, and the restaurant called that afternoon to confirm. We arrived on time and were seated immediately in a cozy booth in the back corner. The restaurand was somewhat noisy but the corner table was quieter. The staff were very attentive and friendly, but not intrusive to our romantic dinner. We never had to ask for anything. The food was divine, from the appetizer to the pasta to the entree to the dessert. We overstuffed ourselves because the food was so good! I highly recommend Capannina for a dinner date in San Francisco!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant SurpriseJackNVDined on 9/26/2014I don't venture too much into the Marina for social events but was very pleased with my trip to Capannina. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable, attentive but not pushy. They knew their menu and they knew there wine. There was not a long wait for any of the courses, they were fresh and delicious when delivered and the spacing of the courses was excellent. It's small, the bar is tiny, a little bit loud when the dining room is full and after 7 reservations are a must, but the food and staff outweigh any of those concerns. I would go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- First visit!hbfam14VIPDined on 9/25/2014Food was terrific and service attentive and relaxed. Really enjoyed it and will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/21/2014Despite its location on trendy Union Street, Capaninna is the real deal. Very good food, attentive service and reasonable prices. What's not to like?I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where Italians eat in SFSpencer1228Dined on 9/21/2014Capannina never disappoints. This romantic little gem has a great kitchen and staff. They serve the kind of food that's so good that whole tables go quiet as people eat (or trade bites). Consistent, delicious, special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great Italian experiencesfrefVIPDined on 9/20/2014Capannina is the complete package, and one of our favorite dining venues in SF. The lively dinner crowd and the décor create an ambiance that is energetic but intimate at the same time. Owner Michele is the consummate host and makes every diner feel as if he or she is being invited into his home for dinner. The service is always top notch. My wife and I have dined at Capaninna for six years and find that the cuisine is consistently top tier Italian - there is no menu item that we would not recommend. Some personal favorites are: starters => black ink risotto w/scallops, beet salad; pastas => all, but with a shout out to the pappardelle and the orecchiette; mains => veal scaloppini al limone, salmone alla griglia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian neighborhood diningRavioliDined on 9/20/2014This is a true neighborhood Italian restaurant, with great food and service. If you want Italian food in a lively atmosphere, this is for you. We look forward to going back to try more of the menu. Folks should be prepared to meet your neighbors, as they have packed the tables in to accommodate as many as possible. Reservations on the weekends seem to be a good idea if not required.Special Features:
- Very GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014Very good neighborhood restaurant. It was nice to go somewhere with good food outside of the tourist areas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brush up on your ItalianDeliciousandNutritiousVIPDined on 9/20/2014Our server was straight from Italy and most pleasant. The salads were generous, as were the main courses. Every bite was delicious. This is definitely a place we'll keep coming back to.Special Features:
- Fabyc5VIPDined on 9/19/2014We went by coincidence it was the only restaurant with available tables and it was a big surprise! One of the best restaurants I've been in San Francisco! Great menu real Italian, and great pricesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic and original ItalianPaul31Dined on 9/19/2014Wonderful, friendly server. Good suggestions. Food is quite tasty with surprisingly good portions. Roasted pressed italian chicken was amazing. Squid ink Scallop risotto was exotic and incredibly tasty. Panna cotta was smooth creamy and delicious. Wine selection good. Warm, comfortable atmosphere. Popular place, so every seat in the house was taken, including some street seating.Special Features:
- a findShihuVIPDined on 9/18/2014This small neighborhood gem is one of the best Italian restaurants in San Francisco. The food is prepared and served beautifully , the wine list is priced fairly, and the proprietor is always attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Italian FooderniecDined on 9/18/2014Finding really authentic Italian food in San Francisco is difficult...Capannina provides that. You could be in Capri enjoying the same fare.Special Features:
- Great Early Bird!!jaa1Dined on 9/18/2014From 5 to 6, this restaurant offers you a wonderful selection from their regular menu of large portions and great soup/salad, entree, and any dessert for 25.00 per person. Loved it. The food was ample, fresh, and very tasty, too!Special Features:
- Italy On Union Dtreetbruce09VIPDined on 9/18/2014My wife and I enjoyed the best Italian. We were warmly greeted, and sat down immediately. The atmosphere was quiet, and the decor was warm and inviting. I started with a glass of cabernet from Napa, perfect. My starter was the Black Pepper Carpaccio Di Manzo. It was with a mustard dill sauce and argula, the best ever. My wife had the mozzarella di bufala con prosciutto pepperoni, excellent. for the mains we ate Veal Scaloppini Al Limmone,again the best my wife ever ate. I had the tortolini with a bufoal ragu the that was marvelous. I will go back to Capannina , and make it one of my go to places. Bravo…..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/12/2014Enjoyed our dinner. Seared Tuna was delicious. Service as friendly. Will be back. Only downside: not much space between tables.Special Features:
- HappyDinerVIPDined on 9/11/2014Always delicious, and with impeccable service! A real gem, great for both special and normal need some great Italian occasions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurantfoodie415Dined on 9/6/2014The food was amazing. It was prepared with care. It wad prepared like it wad an art piece and it tasted delicious. The service was really good. The server had a very strong italian accent which made the vibe even better. I definitely will come back. I would recommend to friends.. but at the same time want to keep it to myself so I can bring my dates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh food, slow serviceATL2SFVIPDined on 9/5/2014Everything tasted great and fresh, but service was slow. Prices also weren't totally unreasonable (relatively speaking). Other than being forgotten for long stretches by the wait staff, it was a pretty good experience.Special Features:
- Wonderful neighborhood restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/3/2014Our family - with two girls 10&13 - always enjoy our dinners here! I particularly like their squid-ink risotto! Highly recommend you try.Special Features:
- WelcomingCream2puffVIPDined on 8/31/2014Greeted with a friendly welcome. Food is better than remembered. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulScoutyVIPDined on 8/31/2014Capannina was recommended to us because our daughter just moved to San Francisco. We went for the first time last night and it was great. The caesar salad w/ crab, salmon, veal scallopini, and penne pasta were all perfect. The gelato and warm chocolate cake were delicious! We look forward to going back soon!Special Features:
- Great spot with excellent food.MacreviewerDined on 8/31/2014Very attentive staff with excellent food at very reasonable prices. A real gem!Special Features:
- Delicious dinner for everyonenene808Dined on 8/30/2014All three of our meals were delicious and we tried to go back the next day but they were booked. My dad enjoys his seared ahi dish with risotto and since he is from Hawaii he has a lot of ahi to compare that too. It was a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pasta Carbonara was disappointingPCKaDined on 8/23/2014The Caesar salad with crab was delicious, lightly dressed- perfect. Carbonara is a decadent pasta that I judiciously treat myself to. It came well- presented, topped with shaved black truffles. The pasta was al dente but it did not come in a silky, shiny sauce as carbonara should. Rather, the pasta came in a clump, as it appears the egg had turned grainy. The owner was extremely pleasant however he looked right at my dish as it was set down before me and failed to make amends (He thought it was properly prepared? Or he felt I wouldn't know the difference- wrong!) I did enjoy the glass of Italian wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too crowdedOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 8/21/2014food remains top notched.............restaurant continues to up-scale itself but but it is a little too crowded they are trying to " pack them in " pushing small tables for 2 together to get more people in.otherwise the best neighborhood restaurantsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kudos to CapanninamrtNsfDined on 8/19/2014We were looking for an early dinner in Cow Hollow, and could not have been happier with the meal we had at Capannina. Gracious hospitality, a scrumptious menu, thoughtful service, reasonably priced, all reasons to look forward to our next visit. "Molto Bene" for a memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhood gemBunnyDined on 8/18/2014Lovely overall dining experience. Unfortunately we made the wrong menu choice. Delicate and delicious sanddabs were served atop a strong (harsh) zucchini with tomato sauce. The sauces totally fought each other. Excellent wines. Will try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A mustCjLaniVIPDined on 8/16/2014One of the best meals we have ever had. Service was also the best. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dukeofdiningDined on 8/11/2014Staff is welcoming and knowledgeable and very appreciative when we shared a special wine we had brought. The food was excellent:we all had seafood, tuna, sand dabs and swordfish--and all were prepared perfectly and accompanied beautifully. Small and close tables so it can be noisy but we asked to be moved to booth in the rear which worked out great. Will be back.Special Features:
- Dinner with FriendsChemystreDined on 8/9/2014I found this restaurant based on its reviews and it did not disappoint. The homemade tortellini with spare ribs and a red wine reduction was fantastic, and the two of us that had it both agreed we would return just to enjoy this dish again. I also had the rack of lamb which was perfectly cooked and very lean.Special Features:
- Just okaykellyVIPDined on 8/8/2014After so many great reviews, I expected more. It wasn't bad, but also, nothing to write home about. With all the great spots in SF, I'm just not sure this is near the top of the list.
- Another wonderful meal.VoyacomerDined on 8/8/2014We've eaten at Capinnina many times, and are never disappointed. Good food, simply yet elegantly prepared, with wonderful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful find!Luv2eatDined on 8/5/2014While recently visiting San Francisco our family of 4 adults and 2 kids stumbled upon this restaurant via Yelp. We could not have been more blessed. All of our meals were delicious, the service was great and the owner was a delight to talk to. Highly recommend this to those in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food carried the eveningSurprisedDined on 7/30/2014Food was creative and imaginative; Great for large parties; Not so great for a couple wanting to have a conversationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.