1470 1st Avenue
New York, NY 10021Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.canyonroadnyc.com/
- Phone: 2127341600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch/Brunch: Sunday 10:00pm - 4:00pm Dinner: Sunday 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern
- Executive Chef: Ruperto Ramirez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Please inquire for details.
A word from Canyon Road
With an artfully presented Mexican/Southwestern menu and powerful yet delicious margaritas served by a cordial and attentive staff, Canyon Road's decor and friendly atmosphere will whisk your spirit off to Santa Fe...Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican / Southwestern
Canyon Road - Best Restaurants in Upper East Side ›
Canyon Road reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (19)good for groups (11)vibrant bar scene (8)fit for foodies (6)special occasion (5)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (3)great for lunch (1)romantic (1)hot spot (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/18/2014Reservation was put in as a "no show" even after we had arrived and had been seated. Once I realized, I spoke to the manager and asked him to confirm my reservation.Special Features:
- Not like last timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014I've been to this restaurant twice... once late night at the bar; and once for a Saturday night dinner. The first time at the bar drinks wee good (not great). The second time... the food was AMAZING, but the drinks not great. This time... the drinks were AWFUL! The food was just okay. The table side guac was ordered for medium heat and was so hot I couldn't eat it. I will give it one last try one of these days.... but will wait awhile - its bit cheap. Dinner for three with ONE drink was $90!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/9/2014I generally love Canyon Road. But I showed up for my 12:00 reservation and the restaurant decided not to open until later, despite my reservation. I had to eat elsewhere. Very disappointing.
- Upscale SW Cuisine on the UESJoeConciergeDined on 7/29/2014To begin I can be jaded as I live PT in Colorado where Mexican and SW food is a staple. However for the UES of Manhattan you cannot go wrong with Canyon Road. The guacamole prepared table-side to your tastes is a treat and delicious. The entrees are all larger portions, thus be sure to go hungry or consider sharing. Canyon Road is a good upper-moderate choice with a great location on the UES. If you want more upscale than Chipotle and do not wish to travel down to Rosa Mexicano at 58th and 1st, Canyon Road should be considered. Please note, beyond the bar in front is a larger dining area and is both kid and group-friendly. Good adult beverage choices as well.Special Features:
- good neighborhood findLynnDined on 7/24/2014Good food, slow service, would definitely try it again. I had the duck burrito which was very good. The plaintains were tasty. Didn't try much else. My older son has eaten here several times and really likes it.Special Features:
- Best frozen margaritas ever!foodfanVIPDined on 7/10/2014Love this place and visit often. Food is consistently tasty, menu is varied, room is warm and welcoming, staff is friendly and attentive, prices are fair and the frozen margaritas are the best ever. Have taken many friends and they all want to return. MUCH better than typical Mexican. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Overall very nice experienceGoodfoodloudDined on 6/21/2014I have ordered takeout from Canyon Road many times and it was always excellent. I had out of town friend in and decided to go in the 'flesh'. The experience was great, service terrific starting with the hostess. The waiter was always nearby and for immediate attention. It's a bit noisy so if that something you cannot tolerate to this would not be the place for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not going backGoodbye4everDined on 5/31/2014We stopped going to canyon road years ago due to horrible service. Well we decided to try it again; Our first experience was not bad; but our second experience was again horrible. Or waiter disappeared shortly after the appetizer. No water, no drinks; Even the hostess gave little satisfaction. Goodbye forever!Special Features:
- Best Guac!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/23/2014I love Canyon Road. The service is always great, and the atmosphere is great too. The guacamole is the best I've ever had. The rest of the menu is also very good.Special Features:
- NOISIEST RESTAURANT EVER!!NYPJLDined on 5/5/2014You would be nuts to think you could enjoy the ambiance with either friends or dates in this place. Love the hostess and Rob, but they should do something short of preventing anyone over 30 to enter. The noise level is terrible and can't wait to finish dinner to leave for the quiet on the street in front. Great staff and good food, but this is NOT the place to relax and kick back.
- The following 311 reviews are from the Canyon Road reviews archive.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/3/2014I should have known better having seen the B rating on the store front window. From the watermelon margarita which tasted like an awful, artificial, sour mix concoction to the chewy calamari, I was extremely disappointed. The steak fajitas with shrimp was mediocre. A neighborhood establishment I will never revisit.
- Great experienceUES77VIPDined on 4/27/2014Having lived on the UES for a few years, this was my first time to Canyon Road. Not sure what took me so long. The service was great and the food was even better. We thought it was a nice touch when the hostess (clearly the owner/operator) walked around to check in with each table during their meal. The decor inside was really nice too. Definitely a repeat. Check it out.Special Features:
- Best Mexican food in the cityBeverlyVIPDined on 4/11/2014We've been going to Canyon Road forever. The food is always fabulous. The service is excellent. The drinks are delicious. Casual and yummy. We always enjoy our time there. Wonderful restaurant..Special Features:
- Not Mexican FoodMisspestoVIPDined on 3/18/2014Although the service was quite good and the regular guacamole excellent, the grilled chicken enchiladas were inedible. They were dry and tasteless. The black beans were watery and had no flavor. The red salsa not good, although I asked for salsa verde and it was delicious.
- Incredible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/17/2014In an attempt to avoid the St. Patty's Day crowd, my friend and I figured Mexican food would be a good choice. I was a little concerned by the empty restaurant but was easily put at ease by the fantastic service. Our waiter was extremely friendly and welcoming during our entire meal. He gave us fantastic food and drink recommendations and was very attentive. My friend is highly allergic to shellfish and after ensuring her food was made in a clean location on the grill, he also cooked my food in the same location so we could share our entrees. And our fajitas were extremely fresh and very flavorful. I look forward to returning for the incredible service and array of margaritas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OkninaDined on 3/15/2014Everything about this experience was just ok. The food was mediocre as was the atmosphere. I wouldn't recommend this restaurant.
- 1st timer1sttimerDined on 2/14/2014This was my first reservation and what do you know I had a fantastic time great food, great desserts as well and good neighborhood. I would recommend this place to anyone!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines day!srainingDined on 2/14/2014Ate here on valentines day (not my first time). Fast seating. Had a strawberry jalapeño margarita- so good! Will come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/17/2014The food was delicious, service was great, and the ambiance was phenomenal. Definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/15/2014Service was friendly, efficient and knowledgeable. Menu was full of options and the food was delicious, well prepared and served in a timely manner. And the margaritas were yummy! Thank you for a delightful dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just as good as we rememberedRobTomVIPDined on 12/28/2013We used to go to Canyon Road regularly in the mid-1990's, and were excited to go back when we were in NYC over Xmas, after being away for several years. It does not seem to have changed, which is a good thing. We went early (6:30) as we had kids with us. The place was getting busy and the noise level was moderate and getting higher as the evening went on. The chips and salsa (free) and the table-side guacamole were excellent, as were the large, strong margaritas - just as we remembered. Service was prompt. Quesadillas and sizzling Fajitas were good. Deserts were ok too. Very happy with our visit and will go again next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JUST WHAT WE WANTEDJessDined on 12/27/2013Friday night looking for a place for dinner and drinks- this place turned out to be perfect. Made an opentable reservation at 9pm and when we got there they were packed and the hostess told us they had no room and that opentable had made an error giving us a spot. She was so apologetic and nice and found us hungry folk a spot at the bar, we got water, chips and margaritas (from a super attentive bartender), and they squeezed us in! Place was full, probably cause the food and drinks were stellar, high quality, not greasy or fried. Fajitas and enchiladas were DELICIOUS. Guac too! Service right on; fun atmosphere, plus they seamlessly handled the reservation snafu. So great we went back with a group of 6 the next night. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Great little placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/13/2013Nice service, good people... Food is consistent good kessadilla Salads, margaritas are not any thing to brag about... But the service is nice the lighting is good the decor is cozy... The drinks... Pricey and not high standard....chocolat soufflé is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but got expensiveBillVIPDined on 10/24/2013Must have raised their prices recently and the portions have gotten smaller.
- Went there last week withKarenDined on 10/17/2013Went there last week with a group of girls for a "girls night out" - They were fantastic to us! Let us sit, order drinks, order apps throughout the evening and didn't rush us at all or pressure us to order more!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/17/2013My husband and I had dinner here with another couple on a Tuesday night. The place was not crowded. We were seated promptly and received very good service throughout our meal. The freshly made guacamole was great. Everyone enjoyed their meals. We would go back.Special Features:
- Nice, especially for the price!LizConDined on 8/8/2013I enjoy Canyon Road. It's not "the best Mexican food you'll ever have," but it's good. The guacamole is excellent.Special Features:
- decent all the way aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/20/2013Service was good , My complaint was "Duck Burrito" was just not good at all ,The meat did not taste fresh ,it tasted Microwaved ,Or reheated one too many times , the rice was overcooked and Hard , The $15 Guac. was good but overpriced for 2 Avocados etc. For 2 drinks , 1 App, and 2 Entrees , the meal should have been $50 as that was all it was worth (being generous) , almost $100 for this bill would have only been fair if the food was fantastic, for Overpriced Mexican food, the food needs to be off the charts and stand out with Freshness, Quality , and Presentation, I won 't return, unless maybe for a happy hour margarita bottom line is that it is not worth it . If you are going to spend apprx. $100 for two, Skip this place.
- their ac does not workOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/17/2013and that just makes it difficult to enjoy. The team is working so hard but they cannot service all those tables. Food is usually good and we were there so we stayed because it was too hot to move to another location but they need to fix their AC....now!
- Who Doesn't Love Cheap Brunch?OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/14/2013That's exactly what this was....an inexpensive brunch spot. We got delicious huevos rancheros for $13 - and it included our first bloody mary! I dined with a gluten allergy, and both the hostess and the server were incredibly accommodating, checking with the ingredients of the bloody/huevos to ensure there was absolutely no gluten. I rated service a 3 because once our meals came, our server neglected to refill our water glasses, only to eventually come around with warm tap water (not what I wanted on a 95 degree day!) I would return for the delicious deal we took advantage of here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Party of FiveBigRichieDined on 6/28/2013Dined at Canyon Road with daugther and friends (5 of us in all) after a long hot day of sightseeing in NYC. Drinks were excellent. (I had a Deluxe Marguerita). Food menu has several unique items. I had a taco special - highly recommended. Guacamole made at the table was a hit. Bar was packed on a Friday night at about 7:00 p.m. although we got a table without any wait. Service was very good to start (water filled, chips replenished) but as the restaurant filled it became a little more difficult to get our waiter's attention. Only major complaint was that it was warm in the restaurant (as if there was an issue with the AC). We would return.Special Features:
- Food: tasty. Service: meh.GBnewVIPDined on 6/21/2013Canyon Road is a perfectly adequate neighborhood Mexican eatery. While the food is consistently tasty, the service is dependably inattentive. There will be at least one or two moments every meal when you'll wonder if they forget about you. It's obviously not bad enough to keep us (and others) away permanently, but it's why many months tend to elapse between visits.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/21/2013Food is always delicious. Margaritas great too. However, service was not good. Our server came to check on our table only twice. Once to take the order and a second time to bring the check. I had to get up and ask him to come take drink orders. Maybe the servers were struggling because the restaurant was full, but it seems like they had enough staff, just couldn't handle the dinner crowd. Definitely had better service when we came for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/7/2013Great food! The duck quesadillas were excellent as well as the guacamole and excellent margaritas. So glad we found this place right in my neighborhoodSpecial Features:
- mother's dayrogoDined on 5/12/2013Reserved for this restaurant for mother's day after reading about their duck entrees. I had the duck burrito and it was amazing. My mother said her meal was pretty good too (I forgot the exact name but it was the chicken quesadilla entree). Pretty nice environment, and we had free dessert on the house for the occasion! I'd definitely go back, especially for that duck!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cinco de MayoAlybDined on 5/5/2013I went to Canyon Road for Cinco de Mayo with my boyfriends family. The food and drinks were great. Everything was big portions and our server was very nice and entertaining. I would definitely recommend this place for anyone looking for great food and good times.I would recommend this to a friend.
- I am only rating service asOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/5/2013I am only rating service as Fair because when we were first seated it took a while for us to get drinks and order food. However, about half way through we had a waitress who really stepped it up so they must've been between shifts or something. I wouldn't let the first half keep me from going back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is just ok. The serviceLuv2EatVIPDined on 5/5/2013The food is just ok. The service is absolutely awful.
- Neighborhood findOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/14/2013Great traditional Mexican restaurant on the UES. Reasonably priced fare and friendly service an exception now instead of the norm. A gem of the neighborhood. I hope it continues to thrive!Special Features:
- Great food, always deliciousLJ448VIPDined on 3/28/2013Great food, always delicious and a good time. Best sangria!Special Features: