94 Lonesome Valley Rd.
Sapphire, NC 28717Neighborhood:
Highlands / Sapphire
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lonesomevalley.com/info.php?pnum=11
- Phone: 8287437967
- Hours of Operation:
Wednesday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Executive Chef: John Fleer
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Private Room, View, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Two private dining rooms. Downstairs room can accommodate 8 guests. Upstairs room can accommodate 22 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Audra Thomas 8287437967
A word from Canyon Kitchen
Sometimes the magic of sharing a table with friends over fabulous food and wonderful wine can be elevated by a place. Sitting at the foot of an unspoiled box canyon in the Sapphire Valley, Canyon Kitchen has that impact. Chef John Fleer, a three time James Beard nominee for Best Chef Southeast, strikes an informal, nostalgic and often playful chord through the history of Southern Appalachia and the broader South. Local produce and organic selections from our own community gardens and the surrounding area are at the foundation of the food. The fixed price menu is enhanced by a list of wines produced using only sustainably raised grapes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Canyon Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Highlands / Sapphire ›
Canyon Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
147 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.9Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (135)special occasion (112)fit for foodies (106)romantic (91)great for outdoor dining (62)good for groups (49)neighborhood gem (45)notable wine list (45)hot spot (18)great for brunch (9)kid-friendly (7)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Slipped a bitgandgdineDined on 9/14/2014Having dined at Canyon Kitchen several times each summer for the last few years, we were disappointed during our last visit. The menu entree choices of skirt steak and grouper seemed to not be as imaginative as in the past and they were frankly disappointing. The appetizers also didn't offer the quality of past experiences. The servers were as nice as always, but their uniforms appeared dirty especially for the first seating of the evening.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/11/2014I love everything about this restaurant. It is my favorite. Just celebrated my birthday and anniversary there. Food, staff and ambience are superb. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Not as good as it used to be!GloryDined on 9/7/2014We have been to Canyon Kitchen many times in the last three years. This year the food is not as good as the previous two years. The chef/owner has opened a new restaurant in Asheville and is hardly ever present. The snacks and desserts have been quite good, but the entrees average. If the ambience was not so great I don't know if we would go back. Also, the online weekly menu is often not what is offered. Since they only offer two entree choices, this can be disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NCgirlontheweekendsDined on 9/3/2014Canyon Kitchen is a real treat and I would recommend it for any occasion, especially in the Fall Season. The food selections are amazing! Great wine list as well as specialty cocktails. Superb!Special Features:
- heavenly setting and fabulous foodluluDined on 8/30/2014always an adventure at CK. John Fleer and his team create amazing food pairings that always delight. You cannot find a better setting in the area. The staff is exceptional. Try to get the second seating on the weekends, as you have more time to enjoy cocktails outside prior to your seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Canyon KitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014A beautiful open air elegant barn with sweeping views of the North Carolina mountains and prairies!! The entire scene literally takes your breath away as you get out of you car!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tremendous!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Loved the food, atmosphere, ambiance, and the service was great. What a fun place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable but forget the tortebehappy1Dined on 8/29/2014Our guests loved sitting outside, enjoying the view from the Adirondacks and loving the open air ambiance. We'd recommend placing more Adirondack chair groupings around as ours was the only option and the rest were picnic tables...big difference. Enjoyable meal service and for the most part we loved our meals. Have had better trout (flaky, simple with beans spread over plate...all white. The Chocolate Torte was too dry and several didn't eat it. Soup delicious as was the pork appetizer and salad. 3 options for entrée...needed more. Fun place however wouldn't swear the food would be perfect. Very nice and friendly service.Special Features:
- Creative menu didn't hit the markShelbeeVIPDined on 8/28/2014Eaten here many times. Most of the time we love the creativity. This particular night the flavors in each of the courses just didn't really resonate with us. It was as though each course was overdone with competeing flavors. Would we recommend to a friend, from past experience, yes. From our last experience, no.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014View was incredible. Food was good, not great. Wine list (in particular by the glass) was disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best of the BestsapphireDined on 8/27/2014By far the best restaurant in Highlands/Cashiers/Sapphire Valley - This is truly a five star restaurant!Special Features:
- Great place for celebrationBocaGrandeDined on 8/27/2014We celebrated our 24th anniversary by treating ourselves to Canyon Kitchen. It was everything we wanted: romantic, scenic, excellent meal. We are going again next week just to experience it again.Special Features:
- AWESOMEDined on 8/22/2014An AWESOME place to celebrate our 50 th Wedding Anniversary. Our area has needed a place like this since the Frog and Owl on Buck Creek Rd in Highlands closed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MemorableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014A wonderful that I would highly recommend to all. I love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/21/2014Great food and fantastic service! The only suggestion that I would make is to consider air flow (fans) to minimize the flies/mosquitos that get around the tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Any place can have off nightAlandBVIPDined on 8/15/2014We have eaten here many times and it is our favorite in the area, however, our last visit was a great disappointment. We tasted every dish offered and had issues with each. Guess it just goes to show that no one is on their game at all times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My all time favorite restaurant!MskittyDined on 8/13/2014Fabulous food, amazing view and enchanting ambiance! If I could choose anyplace in the continental US to dine, this would be it! The menu is always different but I have never had a bad meal. Set in the largest box canyon east of the Rockies is Jennings barn, which is fully modern and open to the outside. A huge fireplace at one end and green meadow all around are absolutely stunning. Appetizers, entree and dessert are included in the price and the meal, much of which is locally grown. The preparation is perfect and service excellent. My advice is "go there"!!!Special Features:
- Splendid Eveningtiger61Dined on 8/13/2014Canyon Kitchen is the best of Cashiers Valley!! Excellent food (always a surprise), great service and a setting to die for. Have been here many times and have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Pork & PavementSrqeaterDined on 8/7/2014The food at our recent Canyon Kitchen experience was great. However, all four diners were disappointed in the lack of choice available; only pork or chicken was available for the pricey main dish. And the peaceful mountain setting was completely obstructed by a working asphalt truck outside the restaurant which was noisy and smelly during our dinner. I have previously loved this venue but not sure that I would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Canyon Kitchen--a dream come true!libbylaurelDined on 8/3/2014We had just read the review of John Fleer's new Ashville restaurant in Garden & Gun. We had planned a trip to Highlands, N.C. for our 49th anniversary, and a friend reminded us that we should check out Canyon Kitchen in nearby Cashiers. Oh, my....how glad we did! The place is so charming; the décor perfect; the staff unbeatable; service--impeccable; but the FOOD...oh, my! Who could ask for more..or better???Special Features:
- One of the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014My wife & I rank Canyon Kitchen within the top 3 restaurants at which we have dined, including Europe, Caribbean, & U.S. for food, service, and ambience.Special Features:
- G. AuxiergandgdineDined on 8/2/2014Canyon Kitchen never disappoints - it's always a great experience.Special Features:
- Toxaway1001Dined on 8/1/2014Having gone to the restaurant last week and overall pleased with the exception of the food (good, not great...), this Friday was terrific! The food was wonderful and the service is always good. The beautiful scenic view speaks for itself!Special Features:
- wow!katyDined on 8/1/2014What a great experience. We were reluctant to dine with a preplanned four course dinner. The meal and choices were exceptional and the service outstanding. A must experience when visiting Cashiers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The setting makes itKAtlantaVIPDined on 7/27/2014I have always loved this place because the setting is so majestic. We go at least once a summer since we don't live close by and it is expensive. We had a nice time with friends once again this summer, however all of our main meals were overcooked. The first course was good and the dessert excellent, but the mains were disappointing to our table. It was $200+ a couple so you hate to be disappointed at all when spending that amount on a dinner- although it is a special occasion place. The shine on the 5 star rating that I used to give has lost its luster. The service was good, but also not as good as it once was. I will still go back, but will manage my expectations on the food and service.Special Features:
- Great mountain experienceFoodisfunDined on 7/26/2014A wonderful place to bring friends and family for a special evening...incredible views and food to match!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stunning restaurantForrestDined on 7/26/2014Outstanding dinner and view. we have enjoed Rhubarb in Asheville on several occasions as well. we are so licky to have John Fleer in Western North Carolina.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A slice of heavenLynchpinVIPDined on 7/26/2014Set in the beautiful Lonesome Valley in Cashiers, a scenic town in Western North Carolina, Canyon Kitchen has one of the most spectacular views anywhere. You are ushered through a cavernous dining room with wood beams and exposed wood walls and ceiling. As you step onto the the rock patio, your breath is totally taken away by the close-up view of a 1,300 foot sheer rock cliff rising from the green valley floor. WOW!!!! As if that wasn't enough, the price-fix menu of farm to table gourmet dishes tantalize and treat your waiting palate. The entree offering changes weekly depending on availability. Open only Wednesday through Sunday, make your reservations early. The restaurant is closed from November through March. It is 2 1/2 hrs from ATLSpecial Features:
- Toxaway1001Dined on 7/25/2014While we love the restaurant & setting, our food was not quite up to par as our previous experiences. Of the five at our table, three had the swordfish and one lamb shank and other meat selection (pork I think) and we all agreed, it was not as we had hoped.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Napa Valley plus the MountainsGraceannDined on 7/24/2014I love fresh food; farm to table restaurants lure me in like the perfect bait for a fish... After dining in spectacular restaurants in Napa Valley, including Thomas Keller's Bouchon, I love the freshness of the food and the detail to the palate. This beautiful restaurant captured that plus the view of the mountains. The price fix was simple, lovely, and affordable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1790Dined on 7/24/2014Fabulous dining experience. Picturesque location. Our favorite restaurant in the United States.Special Features:
- Canyon KitchenTAPREDined on 7/23/2014Beautiful mountain views and excellent selection of menu items. The open air barn atmosphere lends itself to a unique and outstanding dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very creative & consistentGoodlivingVIPDined on 7/20/2014John Fleer never disappoints! Since Canyon Kitchen opened, we have enjoyed the chef's pleasure. He is a conductor and the fresh veggies & creative entrees & incredible desserts are his symphony. He brings Farm to Table to a new level!Special Features:
- A fine place in every wayJSeatsVIPDined on 7/20/2014Excellent food, though the menu may be small at times (fine for me, maybe not everybody), and an incredible view from a beautiful location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/19/2014warm and cozy spot with farm-to-table comfort cuisine custom fit for the adventurous visitor or the seasoned local diner... a welcoming drink by the fireplace sets the tone for a special evening of friendly service and ambiance...Special Features:
- DeliciousWandadinesDined on 7/18/2014Been there several times this year....always awesome.!Special Features:
- Interesting diningbaileyDined on 7/17/2014this is a unique restaurant. There are two choices for entree and dessert. The fun part is that there are several appetizers which come with the meal family style. They were delicious!! Come hungry!! It's very popular and not very large, so make reservations way ahead of time. Probably the best restaurant in this area. Killer views!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jamesDined on 7/17/2014Great restaurant. Have been there multiple times and always fantasticSpecial Features:
- Must Experience!!!AlmarflaDined on 7/17/2014I dine there ever chance I get! If you are in the Cashiers, N.C. area I strongly recommmend you make a reservation.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/16/2014This is one of the best restaurants in the south. Right now Canyon Kitchen and Husk are our two favorites. Wonderful wait staff and fabulous bar tender. Bar tender was able to create a drink for my husband that was exactly what he wanted! The wine pairings were excellent. The whole experience was very comfortable and not pretentious. It was great to have all of the starters family style and not have to choose just one. The menu selections were delicious throughout the meal and the choices easily pleased everyone in our group.Special Features: