94 Lonesome Valley Rd.
Sapphire, NC 28717Neighborhood:
Highlands / Sapphire
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lonesomevalley.com/info.php?pnum=11
- Phone: (828) 743-7967
- Hours of Operation:
Wednesday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Executive Chef: John Fleer
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Private Room, View, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Two private dining rooms. Downstairs room can accommodate 8 guests. Upstairs room can accommodate 22 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Audra Thomas 8287437967
A word from Canyon Kitchen
Sometimes the magic of sharing a table with friends over fabulous food and wonderful wine can be elevated by a place. Sitting at the foot of an unspoiled box canyon in the Sapphire Valley, Canyon Kitchen has that impact. Chef John Fleer, a three time James Beard nominee for Best Chef Southeast, strikes an informal, nostalgic and often playful chord through the history of Southern Appalachia and the broader South. Local produce and organic selections from our own community gardens and the surrounding area are at the foundation of the food. The fixed price menu is enhanced by a list of wines produced using only sustainably raised grapes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Canyon Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Highlands / Sapphire ›
Canyon Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.9Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (72)special occasion (64)fit for foodies (60)romantic (52)great for outdoor dining (34)good for groups (30)notable wine list (25)neighborhood gem (23)hot spot (9)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- What a viewKathrynDined on 10/26/2014The service and ambiance if this restaurant is wonderful. The food is great too....Special Features:
- Fabulous farm to seasonDidinesDined on 10/24/2014We awaited our table in front of the roaring fire sipping seasonal libations- and then supped on delicious course after course- parying sweet and savory- and delicate and bold. Enough without being heavy. We long until Spring when they're open againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every bite was delicious!LVYrunDined on 10/24/2014We shared a wonderful leisurely meal with beloved friends. Great service! Great food! Great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/23/2014Canyon Kithchen proved to be an amazing venue to celebrate my birthday! The meal was outstanding! From the farm to the table, oh so true!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance, disappointing foodJulz1287Dined on 10/19/2014I have come to Canyon Kitchen a few times in the past, and had an outstanding experience all around. But now that they switched chefs, the food has gone downhill. You can't beat the view and ambiance - it's set in a gorgeous (you guessed it) canyon, and inside a giant fire crackles in a comfortable, inviting atmosphere. The service it wonderful and attentive, and we loved our waitress. But the main reason for us being there - the food - was a huge letdown. My salmon was overcooked and bland. Of the "snacks" offered, the chicken-fried bison was way overcooked and cold, and the salad was poorly dressed. The farro salad was tasty, as was the ahi tuna. And the desserts were honestly atrocious - accompanying ice cream was icy, not creamy.Special Features:
- Loving CKLovingCK52Dined on 10/19/2014Our dinner was wonderful. Service was excellent. Clark was our waiter and he did a very good job. We love Canyon Kitchen. We were celebrating a birthday and they gave us some delicious cookies upon our departure. That was a nice gesture.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014Fabulous food, beautiful ambiance, excellent waiter Clark...all around perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mountain vacation dinnerjaneDined on 10/12/2014Had dinner here on the last night of our vacation. Perfect ending to a great time. Food was exceptional and so was the service. Chase was a great waiter. If weather is right, the restaurant will open the doors and you will enjoy the scenery as well as the food. If cold, a nice fireplace warms the room . Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really goodwhgwsncDined on 10/11/2014Starter was a trout cake served with pickled silver queen corn. Fantastic. First course was a poached scallop served over a riso polenta. I have no idea what riso polenta is but the whole dish was out of this world. Main course was a grilled ribeye steak with fingerling potatoes and mustard-honey glazed brussels sprouts. The potatoes were fairly ordinary. I am not a fan of brussels sprouts but these were good. The steak was perfect. Desert was the piece de resistance: an apple pie float served with four different "cookies" on the side. The float was incredible; my favorite cookie was an oatmeal dulce sandwich. Yum. The place is just so beautiful too. It is truly hard to beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real GemMikeDined on 10/8/2014I have been dinning in the area since the late 60's when I was a kid. There have been some great restaurants that had great food but not great ambiance. Most of the dinning from the hay day is gone now, but there are still a few really good places. This place on almost any evening is an awesome experience. The view and the culinary experience is really for folks that want something great and different. If you want just steak and potatoes this is not the place. You get an infusion of local flair and creative cooking at this Uber dining establishment. I have read some of the reviews and understand that nobody is prefect but I would presume this place hits the nail on the head 95% of the time, and their other 5% would be great anywhere else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually home run but not tonightLTdinersDined on 10/3/2014Been here many times but this night menu options were not our favorite...especially crab appetizer - Wasn't enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special ExperiencechastainfoodieDined on 10/3/2014The food is truly fit for foodies, and the restaurant setting and outdoor scenery are among the very best I have ever seen in the US.Special Features:
- A bit disappointed ....CIVAPresDined on 10/3/2014We have been to Canyon Kitchen several times with friends when visiting Highlands. It's one of our favorite places. This time, though, we were disappointed. There was a rib-eye entree item which both my wife and I selected. It didn't seem like rib-eye at all but rather a medium quality pot roast. Tough and fatty. You needed a sharp knife to get through it and my wife's was the same. Not at all what I expected. We also had a soft-crab appetizer just before the entree and it was difficult to eat and very little meat. We wish we had ordered the pork chops our friends had as they were very happy. We plan to come back and hope for better next time.Special Features:
- Outstanding dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/28/2014Everything about Canyon Kitchen was outstanding. The noise level was low- not sure how that rating category worked and I may have checked the wrong thing. The bar tender was helpful. Love the tastings of the appetizers. The grounds and gardens were pleasing to walk around. A delightful experience with wonderful food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/26/2014This was our first visit - "Whow"!! is the only word - the entire evening was a gem. The food was sensational, the service excellent and the entire experience was just great. We will certainly go back to this restaurant again. CBT/BirminghamSpecial Features:
- Spectaclar view and Great food!!JudyDined on 9/26/2014I was there two times this week. The food is so creative and delicious. The wait staff is always accommodating. We have been lucky to have Bree and Mary several times. They are attentive and create the best dining experience. We always like to arrive early and see the garden. Beautiful fireplace with an artist who stacks the wood perfectly for the best fire!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Serenity with a viewOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/21/2014Beautifully located in the Lonesome Valley area of Cashiers, NC; this seasonal restaurant is comfortable and serves delicious food.Special Features:
- DisappointedterrelynVIPDined on 9/20/2014The setting is absolutely beautiful with cathedral ceilings and open doors to view the face of a mountain. My husband and I have dined at Canyon Kitchen with large and small groups numerous times and have always had a fabulous meal and great attentive service. Saturday night was a disappointment. The bar tender did not know how to make the drink I requested. The service was slow, almost non-existent. Some of the menu items were not available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014Superb! Elegant dining, delicious fresh food, beautiful setting, friendly service, easy access from the town center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular setting; mediocre mealtwn1Dined on 9/18/2014Loved fact that rear of restaurant was open onto a gorgeous setting. We enjoyed a drink outside and explored the vegetable and herb garden as the chefs picked our dinner - a great lead-in to our meal. Our group was there on a family night so we were able to share four very nice "snacks." Unfortunately, the entre choices, a flounder and a pork osso buco, were very mediocre. As for the sides, the sweet potato was tasty, but the brussel sprouts were hard. The desserts were good but not memorable. Back on the plus side was the excellent service and drink and wine menu. Overall, a spectacular setting and mediocre meal.Special Features:
- Slipped a bitgandgdineDined on 9/14/2014Having dined at Canyon Kitchen several times each summer for the last few years, we were disappointed during our last visit. The menu entree choices of skirt steak and grouper seemed to not be as imaginative as in the past and they were frankly disappointing. The appetizers also didn't offer the quality of past experiences. The servers were as nice as always, but their uniforms appeared dirty especially for the first seating of the evening.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/11/2014I love everything about this restaurant. It is my favorite. Just celebrated my birthday and anniversary there. Food, staff and ambience are superb. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Not as good as it used to be!GloryVIPDined on 9/7/2014We have been to Canyon Kitchen many times in the last three years. This year the food is not as good as the previous two years. The chef/owner has opened a new restaurant in Asheville and is hardly ever present. The snacks and desserts have been quite good, but the entrees average. If the ambience was not so great I don't know if we would go back. Also, the online weekly menu is often not what is offered. Since they only offer two entree choices, this can be disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NCgirlontheweekendsDined on 9/3/2014Canyon Kitchen is a real treat and I would recommend it for any occasion, especially in the Fall Season. The food selections are amazing! Great wine list as well as specialty cocktails. Superb!Special Features:
- heavenly setting and fabulous foodluluDined on 8/30/2014always an adventure at CK. John Fleer and his team create amazing food pairings that always delight. You cannot find a better setting in the area. The staff is exceptional. Try to get the second seating on the weekends, as you have more time to enjoy cocktails outside prior to your seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Canyon KitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014A beautiful open air elegant barn with sweeping views of the North Carolina mountains and prairies!! The entire scene literally takes your breath away as you get out of you car!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tremendous!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Loved the food, atmosphere, ambiance, and the service was great. What a fun place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable but forget the tortebehappy1Dined on 8/29/2014Our guests loved sitting outside, enjoying the view from the Adirondacks and loving the open air ambiance. We'd recommend placing more Adirondack chair groupings around as ours was the only option and the rest were picnic tables...big difference. Enjoyable meal service and for the most part we loved our meals. Have had better trout (flaky, simple with beans spread over plate...all white. The Chocolate Torte was too dry and several didn't eat it. Soup delicious as was the pork appetizer and salad. 3 options for entrée...needed more. Fun place however wouldn't swear the food would be perfect. Very nice and friendly service.Special Features:
- Creative menu didn't hit the markShelbeeVIPDined on 8/28/2014Eaten here many times. Most of the time we love the creativity. This particular night the flavors in each of the courses just didn't really resonate with us. It was as though each course was overdone with competeing flavors. Would we recommend to a friend, from past experience, yes. From our last experience, no.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014View was incredible. Food was good, not great. Wine list (in particular by the glass) was disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best of the BestsapphireDined on 8/27/2014By far the best restaurant in Highlands/Cashiers/Sapphire Valley - This is truly a five star restaurant!Special Features:
- Great place for celebrationBocaGrandeDined on 8/27/2014We celebrated our 24th anniversary by treating ourselves to Canyon Kitchen. It was everything we wanted: romantic, scenic, excellent meal. We are going again next week just to experience it again.Special Features:
- AWESOMEDined on 8/22/2014An AWESOME place to celebrate our 50 th Wedding Anniversary. Our area has needed a place like this since the Frog and Owl on Buck Creek Rd in Highlands closed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MemorableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014A wonderful that I would highly recommend to all. I love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/21/2014Great food and fantastic service! The only suggestion that I would make is to consider air flow (fans) to minimize the flies/mosquitos that get around the tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Any place can have off nightAlandBVIPDined on 8/15/2014We have eaten here many times and it is our favorite in the area, however, our last visit was a great disappointment. We tasted every dish offered and had issues with each. Guess it just goes to show that no one is on their game at all times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best!terencenovakDined on 8/14/2014One of the best dining experiences ever! Great food, great service and an awesome viewSpecial Features:
- My all time favorite restaurant!MskittyDined on 8/13/2014Fabulous food, amazing view and enchanting ambiance! If I could choose anyplace in the continental US to dine, this would be it! The menu is always different but I have never had a bad meal. Set in the largest box canyon east of the Rockies is Jennings barn, which is fully modern and open to the outside. A huge fireplace at one end and green meadow all around are absolutely stunning. Appetizers, entree and dessert are included in the price and the meal, much of which is locally grown. The preparation is perfect and service excellent. My advice is "go there"!!!Special Features:
- Splendid Eveningtiger61Dined on 8/13/2014Canyon Kitchen is the best of Cashiers Valley!! Excellent food (always a surprise), great service and a setting to die for. Have been here many times and have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Pork & PavementSrqeaterDined on 8/7/2014The food at our recent Canyon Kitchen experience was great. However, all four diners were disappointed in the lack of choice available; only pork or chicken was available for the pricey main dish. And the peaceful mountain setting was completely obstructed by a working asphalt truck outside the restaurant which was noisy and smelly during our dinner. I have previously loved this venue but not sure that I would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.