109 Main Street
Odessa, DE 19730Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cantwells-tavern.com/
- Phone: 3023760600
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: CLOSED, Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday: 2:30pm - 9:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Dan Sheridan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Patty 3023760600
A word from Cantwell's Tavern
Cantwell's Tavern in the historic Brick Hotel offers upscale casual dining with a farm to table appreciation in an early 19th century ambiance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Cantwell's Tavern - Best Restaurants in Odessa ›
Cantwell's Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (39)special occasion (25)great for outdoor dining (21)fit for foodies (19)romantic (18)good for groups (16)great for lunch (15)great for brunch (14)kid-friendly (9)notable wine list (6)vibrant bar scene (5)scenic view (4)late-night find (3)hot spot (2)Show More
- Very pleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Great food, building, and service. Meals (Large Plate) could have come with a small salad; but not mandatory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cellogirlDined on 9/10/2014Wonderful food, polite staff, love the setting. We enjoy for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, attentive service, but.BrowneyedgirlDined on 9/6/2014Everything was great except for the noise level in the room. It was very loud and difficult to engage in conversation. Despite this, I would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food great atmosphereHarleyDined on 9/1/2014Have hade the pleasure of dining there for both lunch and dinner on several occasion. We have been there with friends or just the my wife and I. It is always one of our favorite places to go or take company there for a meal. I recommend it to anybody that is looking for some place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDINGOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014There is nothing BAD that can be said about Cantwells. Coming down from New York, I would put Cantwells up against any 5 Star restaurant there.Special Features:
- nice little taverntattooDined on 8/30/2014Excellent food and great beer list. Nice restaurant in downtown Odessa and has a nice outdoor patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Four thumbs up!Blt223Dined on 8/30/2014Fist time experience. Will definitely visit again...and often. Food was exceptional, service was spot on. Overall A-plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Private party of 42dineoutDined on 8/29/2014I had requested a corner table, so that with friends we hadn't seen in almost a year, we could spend some time talking and not disturb other diners. We were surprised and thrilled to be given the small private room at the top of the stairs on the second floor. This allowed us to talk, laugh, and show pix without disturbing others. Thank you for that great location. The service and food were great, as this was our friends first time here, so everything worked out perfectly.Special Features:
- Great spot for lunch & walking tourOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014Great beers on tap. If you're a cocktail snob, skip the cocktail menu - they sound promising, but the delivery was lacking. We're foodies, so we'd say the food was 'good', but we weren't excited about it. The beer selection however was fantastic. We sat outside and it really was a lovely time. We'll definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going into the past....lovefoodDined on 8/14/2014Really enjoyed dinner. Too far from home to make it a regular spot. Food was good, I had the salmon. Very good, portion would have been halved for take home but too far away. Men all had steaks which were all enjoyed. Outdoor patio would be a great spot to have drinks, dinner. Overall, probably the best location in this area to have dinner.Special Features:
- 1whiskeygirlDined on 8/10/2014We had reservations for 1:30 but got there much earlier so we took in brunch. Nice place, pleasant staff and good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday brunchGDudeVIPDined on 8/10/2014Meeting friends half way, we had a fine brunch Sunday. The weather was ideal, nice patio seating and a great waiter serving all our needs. Reasonably priced, food quality is good, so is the ambience. Worth giving it a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good findHumbledinerDined on 7/30/2014I like trying new places and this one did not disappoint. It was a cool atmosphere and truly an upscale casual dining experience. The food was very good and the portions misleading. I took my girlfriend her for date night and she was very pleased.Special Features:
- Charming outdoor diningnightengalenanaDined on 7/29/2014Perfect ambience for a summer evening. Relaxed dining. Great salmon BLT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cantwell's is an annual tradition12345abcdeDined on 7/26/2014I've dined her 4-5 times over the past 3 years. We come as a group and love dining al fresco. Service is very good and the food is delicious. We always start with drinks and appetizers and this is the perfect place to sit and talk. I would have given a solid 5 stars for everything but the keyboard player, while very good, was a bit loud for conversation. Perhaps background music without vocals would have worked out better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/25/2014lovely site, renovated old inn/hotel - outside was lovely and shaded - good food and beer selectionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun2dineDined on 7/19/2014Enjoyed the food and music on the patio. Will be back.Special Features:
- Second great experienceDinaDined on 7/19/2014My boyfriend and I had such a good dinner at Cantwell's the last time we were there a few months ago, that we made it our choice again. Once again, the menu was fresh, creative, and the food was awesome. Cooked perfectly and served attractively. Our server (Jacob, I think) was a perfect blend of friendly and professional and made great recommendations. We will visit again very soon.Special Features:
- Good EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/17/2014Very nice dinner, good bottle of wine and a charming server, Jacob. We haven't been for awhile and we need to get back more often. Keep up the good work.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service but loudHalleDined on 7/3/2014Great restaurant popular for large groups which makes for a very noisy dining experience every time we go. And they tend to seat everyone all bunched up together leaving some quiet areas completely empty, which is very frustrating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SRossDined on 6/20/2014Very good food Service slow. Garbage Truck too much noise during our lunch. We ate outside!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great First Time ExperiencePeteDined on 6/15/2014This restaurant came highly recommended from a friend. The staff was very attentive and went above and beyond to ensure our dining experience was pleasant. My wife and I enjoyed the extensive craft beer and wine list. The crab dip was great and we enjoyed the NY Strip Steak and Cajun Fish Fry. Most large plate dinner options are in the $20-$25 range. I highly recommend for a special occasion or night out. They do offer daily specials, outdoor dining, entertainment, and Happy Hour options for those seeking a more casual atmosphere. We will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding food and atmospherelolliedollieDined on 6/15/2014We went to Cantwell's for Father's Day brunch. The restaurant is so charming and the food was excellent. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- BoLoves2EatDined on 6/14/2014Excellent service combined with very good food is a perfect way to share an evening out with friends. Add a superb outdoor setting, throw in a very talented singer and you have a winning combination to bring me back many times!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing eveningSal4diningDined on 6/10/2014We chose Cantwell's for a birthday dinner based on the reviews. The building is lovely. We were greeted and seated quickly. Our waiter was pleasant and attentive. However, the noise level was high with rock and roll from the bar. We like the music but not at dinner. The waiter brought the appetizers which were good. Then, mid-way through the appetizers, dinner was served. We are not slow eaters! We did not return the food as it was, for the most part, overcooked already. The flavors were good but not noteworthy, although that might be due to being so overcooked. As it was a week night and not particularly crowded, we wondered if it is the bar and bar food that draws crowds. We will not return.Special Features:
- Great brunch on the patio!coffeesnobDined on 6/8/2014Had brunch on the outdoor patio last Sunday. Quaint location with shady umbrellas. The kitchen offers delicious and creative food options that go along nicely with a very tasty Bloody Mary. Good service too. We will return!Special Features:
- Poor serviceKmelDined on 6/1/2014Service was slow; one diner's meat was not cooked as ordered - not anywhere close. It was sent back - new portion didn't come out until all other diners were finished. Even though that wasn't really cooked as ordered, the diner ate it. To the restaurant manager's credit, she comped us the dinner and offered free deserts. This wouldn't have happened had it not been for the fact that we specifically asked the waitress about some kind of consideration on the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great patio for brunchSwellDined on 6/1/2014Made our first trip to Cantwell's Tavern for brunch on the patio on a beautiful sunny Sunday. Everything on the menu sounds delicious. Portions are enormous; the breakfast board is a meal for two or a starter for four. We took home a huge doggie bag. Definitely worth the 30 minute drive from Wilmington.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great patioGDudeVIPDined on 5/31/2014we met friends for dinner and inquried about patio seating, which was terrific on a beautiful evening. Most of our menu items were fresh and tasty; however, one entree, delmonico steak, wasn't up to par. Our friend had a difficult time cutting the steak. He was offered other choices but declined to try something else. Desserts were very tasty, however, and made up for the one blemish. Music was provided on the patio. While it was very enjoyable, it did cut into our conversation. All in all, a nice evening out for most of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!NicoleDined on 5/28/2014The good was fantastic. My table ordered a variety of dishes, including the friend chicken, cheeseburger and steak - all of the dinners we received were fantastic. Service was OK - the waitress could have been more attentive in filling up our beverages. We also ordered a rum punch which was also just OK - could have used more alcohol. Overall, we loved our visit to Cantwell's Tavern and will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 350 reviews are from the Cantwell's Tavern reviews archive.
- Good, Warm, Friendlyjimkev22Dined on 5/13/2014Relaxed, very accommodating. Everyone in our party of 5 was able to find a dish that was appealing. Portions were sized perfectly. Food was really good, atmosphere was delightful, we really enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of Stock nightDP523Dined on 5/11/2014We came here on May 11th (Mothers Day) at 6:30PM. After bragging about the crab dip to our family we ordered the crab dip appitizers and we were told after ten minutes that the crab dip was no longer avaialable. While ordering our meals my son ordered a dinner special and we again were told after aout ten minutes that this dish was not available as well. The table next to us were told one of their meals were no longer available also. For Mothers Day you would think that the restaurant would be prepared for dinners. We come here often. We were very disappointed and are now re-thinking about coming back even though it is a three miles from our home.Special Features:
- Great ServicebkhapDined on 5/11/2014This was my second visit to this restaurant. First time was lunch, this time dinner. I had one of the specials and it was outstanding. Both members of my party were also pleased with there meals. Service was very good. Wait time was minimal. I made last minute reservations on Mother's Day through open table. Very satisfied.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014Crab cakes were excellent although they shouldn't serve the crab cake sandwich with slawSpecial Features:
- Always FabulousBobbiecakesDined on 5/11/2014I've been coming to Cantwells for years and I will say the one thing that keeps me coming back is their consistently excellent food. Ive never had not only a bad meal but even an average meal here. Ive tried (as well as my family) items all over the menu, both new and staple and its always been delicious. Its almost just a garnish that its set in such a beautiful historic building with a GORGEOUS outdoor patio spot. ALso the bar is terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and good service.SocaldrumminDined on 5/9/2014Great date night spot. Food was great. Really enjoyed the fried chicken wings. Put a new spin on an old idea. Server was nice and responsive. Had a great time and will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014Cantwell's is always a sure bet. Good food and service. Outdoor patio isn't lighted. Make reservations for weekends (especially Sunday brunch).Special Features:
- Nice Afternoon on the PatioFuzzWuzzVIPDined on 5/9/2014Had a very nice meal on the patio on a beautiful day.Special Features:
- Great Place!!MOTMomDined on 5/5/2014My husband and I recently moved to Odessa and everyone in town has been telling us to try Cantwell's. We finally did try them this past Monday for our anniversary and it was wonderful! The food was incredible and my husband is still talking about how great the beer list was. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Wow-love this placelovetodineoutDined on 5/3/2014We were greeted by a friendly hostess; were at our table in minutes and had a wonderful waitress. The food was outstanding and we can't wait to go back. I highly recommend this restaurant set in historic Odessa with great scenery and a wonderful ambience. The trip into town is beautiful and the restaurant lives up to all the hype==great wine, awesome beer selection and the food from appetizers to dessert was delicious.Special Features: