109 Main Street
Odessa, DE 19730Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cantwells-tavern.com/
- Phone: (302) 376-0600
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: Open 11:30 am - 9:00 pm
Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday: 2:30pm - 9:00pm,
Tuesday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm;
Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bryan Crowley
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Patty 3023760600x
A word from Cantwell's Tavern
Cantwell's Tavern in the historic Brick Hotel offers upscale casual dining with a farm to table appreciation in an early 19th century ambiance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Cantwell's Tavern - Best Restaurants in Odessa ›
Cantwell's Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (46)special occasion (26)fit for foodies (26)romantic (23)good for groups (16)great for outdoor dining (14)great for lunch (13)great for brunch (11)vibrant bar scene (10)notable wine list (9)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (5)late-night find (4)hot spot (4)Show More
- A gem in DelawareOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/22/2014Would have preferred a more extensive wine list, but the specialty drinks were unique. Loved the ambiance, but our table was very wobbly (we were upstairs right next to the fire) and when I cut my steak our drinks would slosh. ;) Glad we made reservations because the place was packed! We arrived early and got a corner seat at the bar to enjoy the ambience. Cantwell's Tavern reminded us of a smaller version of Dilworthtown inn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointedBSeniorDined on 11/21/2014We have dined at Cantwell's on several occasions either alone or with family or friends and have never been disappointed in either the food or the service. On this visit we tried the Squash soup with Cinnamon spice flavors and its was tasty and excellent. On most of our visits we found the soup of the day and the specials especially good. The only reason not getting five stars in every aspect is it can be a little noisy - old building, small rooms, hard walls - so noise level too be expected but still distracting on occasion. Our server Mike was pleasant, informed and very quick and the fire burning in the open fireplace on a chilling evening is a very nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014We have dined at the Cantwell Tavern now for several years, having our first visit per the recommendation of a friend. Without exception, this quaint, historic tavern consistently provides the best food, best atmosphere and skilled service of any comparable eatery in the New Castle/Cecil County area...and all at very reasonable prices. It is and will continue to be our 'go to" place.Special Features:
- A STEP BACK IN TIMElkh123Dined on 10/27/2014Cantwells has done a nice job in preserving the past yet feel current. the food is fresh and tasty. Great craft brew selection. Wonderful place for a romantic dinner, a group of friends or a family celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4yourliveDined on 10/27/2014We have been to the Cantwell's Tavern on several occasions...Although we like going there, we find it a bit noisy.... There is nothing to soak up the noise..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and servicedmw12Dined on 10/27/2014Food is always excellent and service is wonderful. First time for Monday night and specials are great.Special Features:
- SomersLuv2dineDined on 10/24/2014Great service, fun menu, and a cool old building for ambience. Definitely worth checking out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our go to in middletown deChalet133VIPDined on 10/24/2014This is our family special occasion restaurant when we visit middletown DE. Whenever we visit we have fun and love the ambiance of this historic house. This time we sat in our private room for a party of six. We had a great meal,, from apps to dessert. The only minus - we each ordered a dessert and it was far too much for the table, though all were excellent. Look forward to going back at our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Odessa GemCluneyDined on 10/24/2014Cantwells Tavern has consistently wonderful food - I have never been disppointed - it is worth the drive and the draft beer is unique and delicious - Desserts are phenomenal!Special Features:
- William was excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Our server, William, was excellent! he made the experience even more enjoyale.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great findluvgoodfoodDined on 9/26/2014We are new to the area and looking for a good go to restaurant. We came across Cantwell's while driving around the neighborhood. We had a fantastic meal and our waiter Jacob was great . The on seared Tuba was done to perfection. I will definitely be making a return trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local restaurantBSeniorDined on 9/26/2014The Tortilla soup was outstanding and the shrimp scampi with gnocchi was a great match of flavors- shrimp was firm and the gnocchi just right, hint of garlic but not overpowering and the house Cabernet was excellent. Service was fast but not rushed and our server was attentive and enthusiastic. Just a great all around experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect PlacebkhapDined on 9/24/2014What an enjoyable meal, fantastic service, and a mini tour of the historic building after our meal. Would recommend to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TeafancierDined on 9/21/2014We ate in the dining room and thus didn't hear much bar noise as it was Sunday; on previous visits, the bar has been very active and thus some noise gets into the dining room. There are rooms for groups upstairs. When I was trying to decide between 2 wines, the delightful server brought me a taste of both. I've enjoyed both lunch and dinner here and gladly recommend this restaurant in an historic building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not much to choose fromTiredtodayDined on 9/19/2014I went in to Cantwells expecting a wide variety of dishes to pick from on the menu. Unfortunately, the local Applebys has a more robust food menu. The service is outstanding and the bar selection cannot be beat but when the most appealing items were hamburgers and salads, We were very disappointed.Special Features:
- Great experienceTraceyDined on 9/13/2014We had a group that was seated in the room at the top of the stairs. It was perfect place for us. Service was excellent as was the food! It was a perfect evening all around.Special Features:
- Very pleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Great food, building, and service. Meals (Large Plate) could have come with a small salad; but not mandatory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cellogirlDined on 9/10/2014Wonderful food, polite staff, love the setting. We enjoy for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, attentive service, but.BrowneyedgirlDined on 9/6/2014Everything was great except for the noise level in the room. It was very loud and difficult to engage in conversation. Despite this, I would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food great atmosphereHarleyDined on 9/1/2014Have hade the pleasure of dining there for both lunch and dinner on several occasion. We have been there with friends or just the my wife and I. It is always one of our favorite places to go or take company there for a meal. I recommend it to anybody that is looking for some place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDINGOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014There is nothing BAD that can be said about Cantwells. Coming down from New York, I would put Cantwells up against any 5 Star restaurant there.Special Features:
- nice little taverntattooDined on 8/30/2014Excellent food and great beer list. Nice restaurant in downtown Odessa and has a nice outdoor patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Four thumbs up!Blt223Dined on 8/30/2014Fist time experience. Will definitely visit again...and often. Food was exceptional, service was spot on. Overall A-plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Private party of 42dineoutDined on 8/29/2014I had requested a corner table, so that with friends we hadn't seen in almost a year, we could spend some time talking and not disturb other diners. We were surprised and thrilled to be given the small private room at the top of the stairs on the second floor. This allowed us to talk, laugh, and show pix without disturbing others. Thank you for that great location. The service and food were great, as this was our friends first time here, so everything worked out perfectly.Special Features:
- Great spot for lunch & walking tourOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014Great beers on tap. If you're a cocktail snob, skip the cocktail menu - they sound promising, but the delivery was lacking. We're foodies, so we'd say the food was 'good', but we weren't excited about it. The beer selection however was fantastic. We sat outside and it really was a lovely time. We'll definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going into the past....lovefoodDined on 8/14/2014Really enjoyed dinner. Too far from home to make it a regular spot. Food was good, I had the salmon. Very good, portion would have been halved for take home but too far away. Men all had steaks which were all enjoyed. Outdoor patio would be a great spot to have drinks, dinner. Overall, probably the best location in this area to have dinner.Special Features:
- 1whiskeygirlDined on 8/10/2014We had reservations for 1:30 but got there much earlier so we took in brunch. Nice place, pleasant staff and good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday brunchGDudeVIPDined on 8/10/2014Meeting friends half way, we had a fine brunch Sunday. The weather was ideal, nice patio seating and a great waiter serving all our needs. Reasonably priced, food quality is good, so is the ambience. Worth giving it a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good findHumbledinerDined on 7/30/2014I like trying new places and this one did not disappoint. It was a cool atmosphere and truly an upscale casual dining experience. The food was very good and the portions misleading. I took my girlfriend her for date night and she was very pleased.Special Features:
- Charming outdoor diningnightengalenanaVIPDined on 7/29/2014Perfect ambience for a summer evening. Relaxed dining. Great salmon BLT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 366 reviews are from the Cantwell's Tavern reviews archive.
- Cantwell's is an annual tradition12345abcdeDined on 7/26/2014I've dined her 4-5 times over the past 3 years. We come as a group and love dining al fresco. Service is very good and the food is delicious. We always start with drinks and appetizers and this is the perfect place to sit and talk. I would have given a solid 5 stars for everything but the keyboard player, while very good, was a bit loud for conversation. Perhaps background music without vocals would have worked out better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/25/2014lovely site, renovated old inn/hotel - outside was lovely and shaded - good food and beer selectionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun2dineDined on 7/19/2014Enjoyed the food and music on the patio. Will be back.Special Features:
- Second great experienceDinaDined on 7/19/2014My boyfriend and I had such a good dinner at Cantwell's the last time we were there a few months ago, that we made it our choice again. Once again, the menu was fresh, creative, and the food was awesome. Cooked perfectly and served attractively. Our server (Jacob, I think) was a perfect blend of friendly and professional and made great recommendations. We will visit again very soon.Special Features:
- Good EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/17/2014Very nice dinner, good bottle of wine and a charming server, Jacob. We haven't been for awhile and we need to get back more often. Keep up the good work.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service but loudHalleDined on 7/3/2014Great restaurant popular for large groups which makes for a very noisy dining experience every time we go. And they tend to seat everyone all bunched up together leaving some quiet areas completely empty, which is very frustrating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SRossDined on 6/20/2014Very good food Service slow. Garbage Truck too much noise during our lunch. We ate outside!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great First Time ExperiencePeteDined on 6/15/2014This restaurant came highly recommended from a friend. The staff was very attentive and went above and beyond to ensure our dining experience was pleasant. My wife and I enjoyed the extensive craft beer and wine list. The crab dip was great and we enjoyed the NY Strip Steak and Cajun Fish Fry. Most large plate dinner options are in the $20-$25 range. I highly recommend for a special occasion or night out. They do offer daily specials, outdoor dining, entertainment, and Happy Hour options for those seeking a more casual atmosphere. We will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding food and atmospherelolliedollieDined on 6/15/2014We went to Cantwell's for Father's Day brunch. The restaurant is so charming and the food was excellent. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- BoLoves2EatDined on 6/14/2014Excellent service combined with very good food is a perfect way to share an evening out with friends. Add a superb outdoor setting, throw in a very talented singer and you have a winning combination to bring me back many times!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.