Cantine Bistro & Bar
138 Avenue Rd.
Toronto, ON M5R 2H6Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Cantine Bistro & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cantine.ca/
- Phone: 4169234822
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30AM - 2:30PM
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00AM - 3:00PM
Dinner: Sunday & Monday: 5:00PM - 9:00PM
Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00PM - 11:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Comfort Food
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, BYO Liquor, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We are able to curtain off the rear of the restaurant to accommodate 36 to 40 guests; however the entire restaurant is available for bookings we can accommodate 70 guests
- Private Party Contact: Vivian 4169234822
- Entertainment: Alternating Friday evenings we feature a live musical performance from 8 pm to 10 pm
A word from Cantine Bistro & Bar
Continuing a long tradition of great food, an inviting & warm atmosphere, and excellent service, Cantine Bar & Grill welcomes you. Under the helm of longtime restaurateur Joey Bersani, of Bersani and Carlevale, Flo's Diner and Byzantium, Cantine serves up just the right mix of great food, a great crowd and the perfect ambience; Making the corner of Avenue Road and Davenport the ONLY place to be. Cantine is your place for a romantic dinner for two, a fun evening out with friends, brunch with the kids, a family celebration, or a large group gathering/function. From the cozy, welcoming oversized leather sofa chairs that greet you upon entering, to the newly renovated full service bar (with 8 draft beers on tap), to the monthly art installations lining the walls, through to the weekly in house guest musicians and vocalists, Cantine remains one of Toronto's best kept secrets. With the city at our doorstep, the energy, beauty and vibrancy of Yorkville all around come and enjoy lunch andContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Cantine Bistro & Bar - Best Restaurants in Yorkville ›
Cantine Bistro & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (51)fit for foodies (28)great for brunch (24)great for lunch (23)good for groups (21)special occasion (16)romantic (9)notable wine list (9)hot spot (8)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Weekend BrunchTorontoMomDined on 10/11/2014A colleague was in Toronto for the weekend. This was the perfect place for brunch. Great service. Diverse menu. Good food. Able to chat with noise level not too bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch VenueISpyDined on 9/28/2014Had brunch here last Sunday. The Caprese omelet was to die for. Coming back again soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ode to all things deliciousMontanaDined on 9/26/2014Have visited this restaurent mant times and have never been disappointed. Food is beautifully prepared, and presented and substantial. It's so nice to know that you're dining experience will be so satisfying time after time. If you like liver this is the very best and the mussels are wonderful. Can't wait to returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown comfortablefoodlloverDined on 9/18/2014Food is always hot! Service is fast and friendly . Lots of variety and specials on to menu. Comfortable surroundings with beautiful artwork on the walls which is different every visit . Not too noisy but very busy. This is definitely a neighbourhood downtown gemSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, not good service.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014Had brunch with my girlfirends there. The ambiance was great and we didn't feel like we were being rushed out. The food was good, although portion sizes smaller than in the past when I have eaten there. The food came quickly, but overall the service wasn't good. We waited forever to get our coffee's re-filled and had to ask repeatedly. Overall just not that friendly either!Special Features:
- Loved it!KrisDined on 8/30/2014Great spot for brunch. Really nice ambiance, and service was impeccable! Thanks so much for having us!Special Features:
- JayteeFoodmavenDined on 7/22/2014Lunched with a friend, salad nicoise , Cobb salad, no wine. Food was fine, not outstanding, service a bit slow but adequate. Cantine is very consistent and well priced. I have lunched and dined many times and will continue to do sp.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the steakjollyrancherDined on 7/20/2014The steak here is amazing! I loved it. Would definitely come back again. Great experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best summerliscious mealCheerfulFoodieDined on 7/20/2014Dinner at Cantine was a treat! We were greeted immediately upon entering the restaurant, had a wonderful server and a friendly helpful bus boy. The menu was extensive compared to other summerliscious menus and the food was great. I had herb crusted cod that was to die for. All four people at my table cleaned their plates bare. We had an early reservation on a Sunday night and by the time we left the place was full and hopping and very noisy. I would definitely go back for any meal there in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable neighborhood go-toBenna9VIPDined on 7/20/2014A good straightforward neighborhood restaurant with high standards for unpretentious mains. Fresh ingredients, well prepared, served in a friendly yet orderly way. Unusually for a place of tjis kind, the desserts are excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarbieDined on 7/20/2014Great omelettes. I was delighted when I ordered scrambled eggs with salmon to have it presented with two large slices of salmon perfectly presented. The onions were sautéed and every so yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- summerlicious delicioustotrynewplacesDined on 7/18/2014Yummy_Good, tasty, and nice varied menu. Waiters seemed to have other things on their minds. Seem like they don't want to be there? A little bit more on the plate would have been good too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/15/2014Loved the flat iron steak! Great ambiance and overall dining experience.Special Features:
- divinediner19Dined on 7/15/2014Lots of choices for the Summerlicious menu. We received our food quickly however we found that the servers were not very friendly. Overall we expected better service.
- ClaudiaDined on 7/14/2014We had a great night, food and service were fantasticSpecial Features:
- good place to go on a special dayjeekkkDined on 7/14/2014friendly service, good foods, good atmosphere, located in a good neighbourhoodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and good serviceFoodieKamDined on 7/10/2014I went for summerlicious and truly enjoyed the grilled calamari and fish of the day which happened to be tilapia. The service was great initially, but as it started to get busier, it took almost 30 minutes just to get someone to bring the debit machine so we pay for our meals... Overall, a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/8/2014This is my favourite neighbourhood restaurant. The food and service are both excellent and the staff are always friendly and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food!Tom77Dined on 7/8/2014We went there for summerlicious and enjoyed every bite.Special Features:
- Summerlicious are not availableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/6/2014We went for Summerlicious, but menu was not available on that day we went even though there was such a indication from their web. I checked with them after we visit( didn't eat) E mail reply was even more made me unpleasent. I won't go this place again.
- kareeDined on 7/5/2014I love this restaurant . It is a really fun place and it has great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KitekaiDined on 7/5/2014Excellent choice. Enjoyed the meal and whole dining experience very much. Look forward to returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulcitygirlDined on 7/5/2014Saturday night at Cantine Bistro. Summerlicious menu was wonderful. Had the grilled Calamari and Flat Iron Steak. Both done to perfection. Wine list is extensive and sommelier was very knowledgeable. Wouldn't change a thing!Special Features:
- Great little bistrofrenchyDined on 7/4/2014We have been regular customers for many years and always return to Cantine for great food at a very fair price.Special Features:
- No DinnerRabihDined on 6/27/2014I went to dinner and when i got there the hostess told me: SORRY but we are CLOSED. I was surprised and explained that i have a reservation at 9. She went to check the system and found it so she was like OK you can stay but you have to order right now because the kitchen is closing. I was so upset and replied by NO THANKS and left. It was very unprofessional and I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/25/2014Disappointed at the table we were put at; I said we were bringing people for an occasion and we got stuck in a corner. I specifically asked for a good table. Food, however, is very good.Special Features:
- The following 258 reviews are from the Cantine Bistro & Bar reviews archive.
- BuddyDined on 6/14/2014Consistently great food. Best chicken and/or liver with mashed potatoes in the city! Reasonably priced as well. I dine here often as one of my "go-to" restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodfaddieDined on 6/2/2014Always reliabl. Always served gourmet food beautifully plated. the service is warm and attentive. the menu is extensiiiiive with many great offerings. Love this place.Special Features:
- Our Go-To Place!LebaDined on 5/25/2014Cantine Bistro & Bar is a delicious and friendly restaurant. My friends, family and I have been coming here for years. The food is terrific and the staff/service are knowledgeable, efficient and kind. The maitre d's are welcoming and helpful. Owner Joey Bersani greets his guests with a relaxed, brief visit; you can tell he loves his business. The menu has lots to offer...they'll even do my egg-white omelettes without butter or oil when I ask! The breads and olives at dinner are the best in town. The grilled salmon with wasabi is also a perennial favourite - delish. The restaurant itself is very pretty and displays local artists. In short, and as you can tell, I love Cantine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good to Goldy113Dined on 5/23/2014I have been coming to Cantine on a non-regular basis since it originally opened, then closed then opened again, guessing 30 years on and off. Alwasy found it a comfortable and relaxing place with goog food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ODEEODined on 5/20/2014FOOD IS CONSISTANLY GOOD & THE SERVICE & ATMOSPHERE CASUAL & FRIENDLYSpecial Features:
- Great neighbourhood gemfoodfaddieDined on 5/15/2014The food is well prepared and beautifully served. Service is warm and efficient. Great menu with lots of optio s. This is a neighbourhood gemSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/26/2014Cantine never fails to please. We went for brunch, just coffees and eggs, and the madeleine is always perfect. The poached eggs are medium, smoked salmon thinly sliced and the spinach just blanched. Yum! A basket of toast arrived to munch on while we waited (not that it took long at all!). Coffee refills were prompt.Special Features:
- Cantine BistroED64Dined on 4/20/2014Cantine is a neighbourhood gem. The food is consistently good, we eat there often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014A great neighbourhood restaurant with reasonable prices for good cuisine. This has been a staple go to place in the area for over a decade and has a loyal client base of neighbours who appreciate the value and consistently good food and service.Special Features:
- Delicious, relaxed and reasonableBeautySpeshDined on 4/4/2014The food is consistently good. The prices are extremely reasonable. It's almost weird to me that a pint of beer is 5.50. Especially considering the area and the staff is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time for BrunchComment8rDined on 3/23/2014Easy to book online; table was ready; felt welcomed; no waiting to be offered coffee! I loved seeing an artist's excellent work for sale! Lots of menu choices; each of us enjoyed our various selections--my Tuscan omelet with 1/2 salad 1/2 frites was excellent! I look forward to my next brunch or meal at Cantine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014all around, it was a very nice brunch. ill definitely go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday brunch delightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/22/2014From eggs to salads, to hamburgers, our birthday celebration was delicious. Truly enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If only service could match foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014The food at Cantine is absolutely wonderful - great flavour and cooked perfectly. Unfortunately, the service from the waiting staff pales in comparison. Our waiter did not ONCE check on how our food was tasting after he brought it to us, never filled up our water glasses, did not utter a word when he brought our appetizers and entrees nor when he removed our plates, and when prompted to place our order, he approached us and merely said "you ready?". To say he seemed disinterested in us is a vast understatement. He conversed with us as if we were dining at a Burger King. I was rather shocked to be treated in such a fashion and feel it is doing a great disservice to an establishment that actually provides fantastic food.