510 Glenwood South Ste 109
Raleigh, NC 27587Neighborhood:
Contemporary MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://cantinasouth.com/
- Phone: 9197204778
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am -2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 2:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: David Peraza
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch
- Private Party Facilities: Two rooms convertible to one. Up to 30 guests for one room and up to 65 guests when converted to one large room. Room can accommodate up to 100 for a cocktail party.
- Private Party Contact: Kristi Hale 9198024306
- Entertainment: DJ entertainment spinning an eclectic mix of new country, danceable rock, and high energy Latin. Thursday-Saturday night after 10 pm.
A word from Cantina South
Modern Mexican Kitchen and Tequila Bar. Chef David Peraza, a native of the Yucatan prepares authentic Mexican Cuisine with a modern twist pulling inspiration from surrounding Latin cultures. The Cantina is an a polished but yet upbeat environment and our tequila bar simply put has the best selection of tequila and savory margaritas around.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cantina South reviews from OpenTable diners
- Now I know why ...sabre74kknVIPDined on 6/10/2012... it was easy to make a reservation. It was closed. Open Table needs to wake up and remove this restaurant from it's listing. Lights off and noone was home. Not even a sign on the door. Very disappointing.
- Restaurant is out of business.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/9/2012Restaurant is out of business. For some reason the Open Table will still allow reservations.
- I'm sure Cantina South wouldOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/3/2012I'm sure Cantina South would have been better had they actually been open. We made a reservation through Open Table, checked out their website to learn more about their Sunday Brunch, but when we got there last Sunday at 11:30, the doors were locked, lights were off and there wasn't a soul in sight. Thanks for wasting our Sunday morning.
- We drove the twenty minutesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/27/2012We drove the twenty minutes to get there and the doors were locked!
- Tasty, fun brunch on Sundays.TravelGirlVIPDined on 5/20/2012We really enjoyed our visit to Cantina South - the food was very good. We were there for brunch and besides some of the food being lukewarm, everything was good. The taco bar was excellent with both fish and shortribs being our favorites. Guacomole was delicious and the omelet and pancake stands turned out excellent hot, made-to-order food. Desserts were plentiful but the tiny cups of chocolate and dulce du leche were very sweet. $10 all you can drink mimosas were heavy on the oj but tasty and cheap. Once construction is complete across the street the view will be much better and it's already pleasant sitting outdoors. Staff includng manager and server were friendly and very helpful. the made our meal more pleasant by checking in on us ofSpecial Features:
- The food was good. GuacamolelocalcornerVIPDined on 5/18/2012The food was good. Guacamole was excellent. Service was poor enough to prevent our return any time soon.
- The brunch was the best we'veOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/13/2012The brunch was the best we've had! I loved the taco bar!!!Special Features:
- Very nice experience for firstOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/13/2012Very nice experience for first visit. We made reservations through Open Table and were seated immediately. We were not rushed. Mother's Day brunch was a hit with my wife. Music was good. The omelet station was very good. Mom enjoyed the bottomless Mimosas. Will definitely return with friends.Special Features:
- My first time at Cantina South.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2012My first time at Cantina South. I had been to the physical location before when it was Bogart's. That meal wasn't memorable, but this one certainly was. They were good size portions fit for sharing. We sat outside and really enjoyed the ambiance. The noise from the surrounding Glenwood Avenue area was a bit loud, but the patio is on the side to not cause much problem. Also, the parking is plentiful in the deck.Special Features:
- Love this place. I've beenOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/28/2012Love this place. I've been a few times for brunch and have been wanting to try the dinner menu. Everything is seasoned well and fresh. Service was great and loved the atmosphere. The dinner music was even good! NO COMPLAINTS!Special Features:
- The skinny margaritas wereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/24/2012The skinny margaritas were so tasty we had to have two. The food was wonderful. It was a great stop before going to a show at the Progress Energy Center. We will definitely go back as well as spread the word to others!Special Features:
- This place is GREAT for dinner,OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/15/2012This place is GREAT for dinner, but I was not as impressed with their brunch.
- I was look for a restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/13/2012I was look for a restaurant that had a pulse with a hip young crowd and was sorely disappointed. It was very quiet for a friday night with only around 10 table full. There is a wonderful menu but everything was heavy on the spice. The table side guacamole was wonderful. The serve was good, but there was no sense of timing. We had chips and salsa then ordered guacamole. Our food arrived 5 minutes after the guacamole so we couldn't enjoy it.Special Features:
- Service was excellent. WaiterOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 4/13/2012Service was excellent. Waiter was engaging and helpful. Fresh guacamole and pico were a great start to the meal. Wife loved the soup and the sangria. Tacos were good, but may try something different next time. Looking forward to visiting again.Special Features:
- delicious brunch, great varietyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/8/2012Brunch was delicious! Very unique, a ton of different options to satisfy everyone. Omelettes made to order, all sorts of delicious meat... pulled pork, chicken, and braised ribs. Unbelievable b-fast casserole. Friendly servers. I'll go back.Special Features:
- Good and Not So GoodNeighborVIPDined on 4/5/2012Our experience was a mixture of good and not so good. The restaurant atmosphere is good. The guacamoli and salsa were excellent. The chips tasted good but many were curled and folded. Food presentation was good. Most dishes were too spicy. The beef medalions with the Carne Asada were burned. After a long wait to get our food, my wife's food arrived and mine did not. After a 15 minute wait and no service, I asked about my food. The waitress checked and had to reorder it. Only about 8 tables were being used on a Thursday evening. Prices were somewhat high. Service was friendly, but poor.
- The food was amazing and theBlakeDined on 4/1/2012The food was amazing and the staff were extremely helpful.Special Features:
- Tucked away off Glenwood,OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/28/2012Tucked away off Glenwood, Catina South is a great place for a mexican meal. Our server, Cameron, was fantastic - he walked through all our questions and we had quite a few. Some of the items on the menu weren't names we've heard of before, so he was great to really explain what the dishes were and made lots of recommendations. Dove into the chips and salsa while checking out an extensive, but not overwhelming, menu. Tried their shrimp enchiladas (or de la costa) - the sauce was wonderful, the cold spicy slaw was a nice balance to the creamy enchiladas and there was a tomato-sized disk that looked like a small, fried thick tortilla that was fantastic. Also enjoyed the nice touch of pumpkin seeds on the enchiladas. Overall a really tast
- great for all types of dining outOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/24/2012I have been to Cantina South 3 times now: once with my husband and two small children, once on a date with my husband, and now as part of a girls night out. What I love about this resaurant is that it was perfect for each type of dining! The food is great, the atmosphere is awesome, and the service is perfect. The kids menu is unique as is so much of their food. Much of the food is a little spicy for me, but that is not saying much as most mexican food is spicy for me. But at Cantina South I can still enjoy the food, just making sure to have one of their excellent frozen drinks nearby. I love this place and plan to return many more times.Special Features:
- Tried some of the new menutriguyVIPDined on 3/24/2012Tried some of the new menu items and they were very good.Special Features:
- Great Mexican, Better FlavorOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/22/2012A variety of mexican/spainish cuisine await you at Cantina South. From their large, Carne Asada Burrito to shrimp tacos, they have delicious options for any appetite or food preference. To get started, try the Guacamole de la Casa and a staff member will make your guac fresh and to your liking/spiciness. For those who like hotter dishes, Cantina provies a hot sauce caddy filled with familiar (texas pete, tobasco, etc.) and unfamiliar variants. Those wanting to catch the game or grab a round can do so in their large bar area. Many tvs ensure you can catch whatever game you're cheering for and daily specials ensure you don't break the bank. Thursday's offer $4 skinny girl margaritas are below 100 calories and don't sacrifice on tastSpecial Features:
- Cantena South was a nice surprise.northraleighliferVIPDined on 3/10/2012Cantena South was a nice surprise. It's less than a year old,occupying the old Bogart Restaurant location. The restaurant is updated with mexican flavor decor, but otherwise remains the same layout as before. The staff was friendly and attentive. The food was very good... I'd describe the menu as tex-mex with super fresh ingredients. The seasonings were exceptional. My only complaint (and it's a small one) is the pricing was a tad high for tex-mex, but that's partly due to my own perception that mexican food should always be inexpensive :-)Special Features:
- Good food, ambiance, but limitedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/3/2012Good food, ambiance, but limited menu. I wish they had more of a variety.Special Features:
- Guacamole was fab. As wasPurduegalDined on 3/1/2012Guacamole was fab. As was the skinny margarita. The special I had was just ok. Should have stuck with my usual fajitas.Special Features:
- Excellent food, great service,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/26/2012Excellent food, great service, nice atmosphere and very clean.Only there once for breakfast but will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Good food at the Sunday buffet,WayneLeeDined on 2/26/2012Good food at the Sunday buffet, but a little pricey. Service was poor, our server apparently had a rough night as well as the sniffles.
- This is a very casual restaurantFoodieVIPDined on 2/26/2012This is a very casual restaurant that had an "ok" brunch. We've had better, but it was good for the reasonable price.
- Very reasonable prices forcgw68VIPDined on 2/22/2012Very reasonable prices for fare that has a range of Mexican beyond the standard taco-type fast food,e.g., ceviche. Service is very accommodating and pleasant, but was unusually slow. That's great to savor a meal as we wanted to do, but not if you have later evening plans. Ambiance could be improved to feel more intimate, and an annoying overhead light flickered during our meal.Special Features:
- Major Let DownOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/20/2012I was looking forward to trying Cantina South and was really let down by our experience. Food was mediocre and overpriced, and our waitress was nonexistent. Next time I'm craving Mexican I'll be at Dos Taquitos.
- We thoroughly enjoyed outOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/20/2012We thoroughly enjoyed out experience at Cantina South! The menu is outstanding. We loved the guacamole being prepared table side! Staff was wonderful and our cocktails were amazing! We'll be back!!!Special Features:
- Pretty good food, portionsWayneLeeDined on 2/20/2012Pretty good food, portions a little small. Beer and drink selections a little expensive, especially considering the competition in the area.
- For the price the food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/19/2012For the price the food was good, however the service was terrible. We waited nearly ten minutes before ever seeing our server. This was a buffet, so all he had to do was clear our plates and refill our glasses. Our server did neither. We had to repeatedly ask for refills which were very slow in coming and our plates continued to pile up on the table.
- great Sunday brunch! Don'tOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/19/2012great Sunday brunch! Don't miss the awesome braised ribs.Special Features:
- Must-GoMattVIPDined on 2/18/2012Great restaurant. Energetic atmosphere with amazing food.Special Features:
- Food is ok but service wasRyanDined on 2/18/2012Food is ok but service was slow. The servers were very nice but absent most of the time. We never received our appetizer. We also had to flag someone down to clear our plates and ask for the bill. This was our second time at this restaurant after a similarly fair experience before. We won't be returning again.Special Features:
- Great guakamoleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/18/2012Great guacamole!!! Very reasonable prices, a lot to choose from on the menu.
- I think everyone should goOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/17/2012I think everyone should go there at least once. The server was great. Very attentive. The food was ok more spicy than flavorful. But if you like spicy it is the place to go.Special Features:
- This was my first visit andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2012This was my first visit and will definitely go back. Food was fresh with just right spices. Great appetizer and entree choices. Try the ceviche and duck enchiladas.Special Features:
- I love Tex-Mex food! I haveOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2012I love Tex-Mex food! I have discovered Cantina South and I'm in flavor heaven. Cantina South raises the bar for Mexican food above all others. I have told many of my friends they need to dine there.Special Features:
- Awesome atmosphere. MusicOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2012Awesome atmosphere. Music was the right volume and the place looked great. My careen asada steak was incredible and the chips and dip were outstanding. Can't wait to go back.