Cantina Laredo - Chicago
508 N. State St.
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Cantina Laredo - Chicago
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cantinalaredo.com/
- Phone: 3129550014
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Sunday-Wednesday 11:30 am - 10:00 pm Thursday-Saturday 11:30 am - 11:00 pm Upstairs Lounge & Tapas Sunday-Friday 3:00 pm - Late Saturday 12:00 pm - Late
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Cantina Laredo - Chicago
Cantina Laredo serves authentic Mexican dishes in a sophisticated atmosphere. We offer daily fish specials, grilled chicken and steaks complimented by signature sauces such as chipotle-wine with portobello mushrooms or sauteéd artichoke hearts and roasted red bell peppers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Cantina Laredo - Chicago - Best Restaurants in Gold Coast / Streeterville ›
Cantina Laredo - Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
247 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (136)hot spot (80)fit for foodies (73)special occasion (62)vibrant bar scene (62)great for lunch (49)neighborhood gem (45)romantic (41)late-night find (32)great for outdoor dining (30)kid-friendly (25)great for brunch (22)scenic view (20)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Great night outChicagoRes8yearsVIPDined on 10/18/2014This was my fourth trip to Cantina Laredo and as always, it did not disappoint. It's the perfect dining spot before a night out in Chicago. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Great Mexican FoodPhrjeffDined on 10/17/2014The food was excellent, the short rib tacos were outstanding and others that dined with us were please with their meals as well. I found out later one guy had fish that was dry and his rice undercooked but since he didn't bring it up to the waiter I guess it's his loss. We will definitely return.
- SLOW SERVICEcoffeeloversDined on 10/16/2014We dined on a Thursday night And the restaurant was packed. The waitress was slow and not very friendly. She told us the coffee pot was broken because it has been used so much that evening (excuse me? Isn't that the purpose of industrial coffee makers?) anyway, Two minutes later we see another waiter deliver what looked like coffee cups to a table near us. We will never know what was in those cups but I certainly didn't see any teabags...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SpotvedheadDined on 10/14/2014Nice little spot, great food, service was a bit slow and server was distracted/busy with other tables, but overall a great dinner experience. Definitely go visit Cantina Laredo if you're a foodie. Their brownie dessert was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bad bad bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/13/2014I have ate in so many resturants in chicago, we come from 4 hours away for dates to chicago all the time, and by far this was the worst restaurant we have ever been in. The hostesses when we walked in were terrible...no smile no welcoming. We sat 15 min..no water no server, no chips no nothing. there were only a few people in the resturant too. Not crowded not busy. 10 other servers standing around just standing there doing nothing. I had to stand up and get someone to come help us! No drinks no one came by to say they would be with us. Nothing. It was terrible. we should have talked to the manager and demanded our money back. We ordered drinks...straw daq. and they were really really bad. we deserve a refund!Special Features:
- Well, it's a chain.NameVIPDined on 10/12/2014Great/good Mexican food should be big on flavor (but not here), and of course, I could have ordered the wrong thing. Chips (OK) and salsa (not hot or spicy) were OK. The ceviche salad looked great on the plate, but had rubbery shrimp and bits of some other vague seafood. I had standard, non-inventive food for the entrée: chicken and beef tacos you can find in Anytown, US. So, maybe that's why I missed the unique flavors. I ordered corn tortillas and they came with flour tortillas. They got it right the second time, but both the dry chicken and beef were flavorless and under-seasoned. Service was spotty as the wait-person disappeared for long periods of time. Huge, loud place with a big bar; designed for a younger demographic.
- NosamEatingAgainDined on 10/10/2014Dinner was great, had the special of the night. Second time there and can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOregonmomDined on 10/9/2014Table was perfect for group of 5, service was very good - attentive, knowledgable; food was very flavorful. Table side guac and salsas were wonderful. Our group was international and they all raved about the evening! I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A-mazing!mizlaraVIPDined on 10/9/2014I have been walking past this place every day for a few years now. I'm so glad that I finally stepped inside. It's a cool, open concept of a place with a nice-sized bar downstairs. The wine list was substantial, the homemade salsas were delicious, and our dinners were spot-on. I can't wait to come back to try something else! Huge fan!Special Features:
- Good foodIshanDined on 10/6/2014A really nice place with really good food. Loved their desserts(Flan is to die for) and drinks. The service was kinda slow. But enjoyed everything else. Will definitely give it another chance.Special Features:
- FuntimeDined on 10/5/2014Hostess did not record our open table reservation & I had to correct. We were seated behind the hostess desk in a booth. When I complained she just rolled her eyes & walked away. Food and service from our waiter were great. Hostess need some training on how to please guests.
- They take care..OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Actually the food was not so good, but service was excellent and they take care about the table and make u relax.Special Features:
- Great timeCheshireVIPDined on 10/4/2014Food was excellent, service was good and prices were reasonable. We will be backSpecial Features:
- Euphoric Experiencencook78Dined on 10/4/2014I reserved Saturday for my birthday with a friend. The experience from the beginning to end was superb. The atmosphere, the food & Mojito, the desert, and the server were absolutely wonderful. To boot it was the best authentic Mexican cuisine I have tasted! A wonderful experience, can't wait to eat here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!LouGDined on 10/4/2014The food is excellent. Great selection, fresh ingredients, good service, nice decor. The food is a good or better than many of the other more expensive Mexican restaurants in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outoftownerDined on 10/1/2014We had a late fast lunch mid week mid afternoon and the restaurant was not crowded. The service was very good. The waiter was very knowledgeable, informative and attentive. The food was very good. We were served quickly and were on our way. I will go back and referr it to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreaT environmentDisappointedVIPDined on 9/30/2014This is a great place to eat after work. They have great guacamole! The service is fast and to a great place to talk and catch up. Well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food, Friends, Fantastic!DawnDined on 9/27/2014Your restaurant was very accommodating to our group of 20 gals from Michigan on a weekend getaway trip! The reservation process was great! They even called to confirm with us. The food was phenomenal, the atmosphere was great and the service was splendid! Thanks for helping to make our weekend getaway so very special! Can't wait to do it again! DawnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KellyVIPDined on 9/25/2014A must when visiting a Chicago! The Enchiladas Veracruz is the best item on the menu! Can't beat the margaritas or the service at this restaurant. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- doesnt disappointdeliciousVIPDined on 9/24/2014been here before. came back to celebrate my birthday. service and food was consistantSpecial Features:
- Amazing Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/23/2014The food was incredible and fresh and the server was outstanding. He should be promoted!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthdau Dinner with FamilyMomoDined on 9/21/2014Tried Cantina Laredo in Las Vegas in Summerlin this past August. Loved it. Everything was outstanding. Asked when they were putting one in Chicago and the GM said we already have one and he gave me a list off all the restaurants locations. It was 500 N. State. Well We planned to have my husband's Family Birthday dinner there, since it was close to my daughter college and my Brother in law that is so hard to please, would like it. First off our Server Mike was great. And the food was delish I had Conundrum red wine. it was great. Desserts fabulous. Everyone enjoyed it. The only thing I didn't like was my guacamole made table side. It tasted too sweet.Special Features:
- No es buenaChitownfoodieVIPDined on 9/20/2014There really were no redeeming qualities for us to return to Cantina Laredo. The server was inattentive; my husband had to keep asking for his cocktails, etc. The food was bland and mediocre, and the space was extremely noisy; it's not a place where you could carry on a conversation with your guests. However, if you're 20-30-something, enjoy going out in large groups, and really don't care if the food is edible, then seems to be Cantina Laredo perfect for you!!
- Loved the food & vibeHappyDinerVIPDined on 9/19/2014Really great meal! This is fresh & flavorful Mexican, not the type that makes you feel too full & lethargic. Very quick, friendly service. Design of the space is very cool- and location is convenient. We will return when in Chicago!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another awesome brunch!EricDined on 9/13/2014The food is great, the atmosphere is awesome, the wait staff is amazing.Special Features:
- A Pleasant SurpriseBobbyPVIPDined on 9/12/2014Cantina was a pleasnat change in menu selections from the standard fare Mexican restuarants. A broad selection of main courses and appetizers. Our waiter was not shy to make recommendations and did not rush us thru the meal. The table and chairs were also ezxtremely comfortable an often overlooked feature to a pleasant meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better and betterOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/12/2014Have been to this neighborhood gem numerous times and it simply gets better and better. The ambiance is fantastic, the food is outstanding and the service is great. Prices are reasonable and I and the people I am with always have a great time.Special Features:
- Yum!MissDaniDined on 9/8/2014Really enjoyed our meal. I like how the bar and the restaurant seating are right next to each other yet they didn't interfere with each other. It was Monday night football and you would never know it sitting in the restaurant. Food was delicious, wine list was deep and tasty. Will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Luv2 partyLuv2partyDined on 9/8/2014Very good restaurant One of my favourites Would go back for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun but loud place with good foodBoozeGuyDined on 9/6/2014Cantina Laredo is a huge space with a bar in the middle and a second floor to accommodate even more people. The guacamole was very good. We also had fajitas and enchiladas which were all prepared well and arrived hot and delicious. The drink list is a little "rita" focused with many different versions of a margarita, a few mojitos, and sangrias. My main memory of this restaurant was the noise level. Our table of 3 was barely able to hear ourselves over the Saturday night cacophony and the place wasn't even totally full. Some noise buffering structures in the ceiling would go a long way towards making the whole place more enjoyable. Overall, delicious food and drinks but don't expect good conversation other than "HOW'S YOUR FAJITA?"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday NightEattingOutDined on 9/6/2014Have been here several times and it is a favorite. For whtever the reason everything was a bit off this visit. On th plus side the guac was good but difficult to eat with the chips. Service was adequate. However, the Margarita's seemed waterdowned and not very good. The beef on the fagitas was very fatty, tough and not very flavorful. Will have to think twice about returning anytime soon.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Mexican FoodFloridaGalDined on 9/6/2014I never thought I'd find the best Mexican food I've ever had in the heart of Chicago. The food was even better than the local fare I've had in Mexico, definitely a must stop on my next trip to the windy city.Special Features:
- LoudChieaterVIPDined on 9/5/2014It was very, very loud. We were at a four top and the waiter had to do the specials once for each side of huge table. When he took the order, he had to lean in close to hear each person. We had to talk at elevated levels to hear each other. Just too loud for me. Also, one of dour party was an accommodating vegan and the menu was not ver accommodating. The staff and kitchen were not well versed in the ingredients of their dishes and would not make substitutions until we pressed all the way to management. Even then, they messed up the dishes by adding cheese.Special Features:
- Awesome dinnerParttimerDined on 9/3/2014Everything about the place was excellent. It's a must place to dine at.Special Features:
- Average Mexican food at High PricesukdinerVIPDined on 8/31/2014We went for my husband's birthday and were very disappointed. All of our food was cold and his beef fajitas were so chewy that he couldn't eat them. The children's menu only had sodas as the included beverage and we had to pay extra for milk. The server was very sweet and brought a manager over to discuss our concerns however, she was completely uninterested and did nothing to address our issues. For this amount of money, the food should have been stellar - save your money and go somewhere else!Special Features:
- Great for everyone!MShizzleDined on 8/29/2014Lots of options for different food restrictions. You can have your celiacs, vegetarians, folks watching salt intake, etc all at the same table! The energy and ambiance of your meal totally depends on where you're seated. There are a couple of romantic nooks, but the majority is meant for big group dinners. Wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok not amazingPoppyDined on 8/28/2014We had great margaritas. The food was good. The meat in my beef/steak tacos was quite chewy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesomejennyhDined on 8/28/2014Great food, awesome ambiance.....pineapple Margarita was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Upscale MexicanLuv2dineDined on 8/23/2014Great Mexican fare with an upscale vibe to it! Margaritas were the BOMB!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun placebdayDined on 8/20/2014We had a fun time at Cantina Laredo. I think we'll make it a place to stop in for drinks and snacks. The ambiance is vibrant and fresh. The drinks appetizers and desserts were excellent...some main dishes were just ok (veggie taco and pork taco were similar to other places and ok; barbacoa tacos were excellent). Maybe fewer options would allow all dinner plates to be outstanding?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.