Cantina Laredo - Chicago
508 N. State St.
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Cantina Laredo - Chicago
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cantinalaredo.com/
- Phone: 3129550014
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Sunday-Wednesday 11:30 am - 10:00 pm Thursday-Saturday 11:30 am - 11:00 pm Upstairs Lounge & Tapas Sunday-Friday 3:00 pm - Late Saturday 12:00 pm - Late
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Cantina Laredo - Chicago
Cantina Laredo serves authentic Mexican dishes in a sophisticated atmosphere. We offer daily fish specials, grilled chicken and steaks complimented by signature sauces such as chipotle-wine with portobello mushrooms or sauteéd artichoke hearts and roasted red bell peppers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Cantina Laredo - Chicago - Best Restaurants in Gold Coast / Streeterville ›
Cantina Laredo - Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
282 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (140)hot spot (95)vibrant bar scene (78)fit for foodies (71)special occasion (71)great for lunch (68)neighborhood gem (58)great for outdoor dining (42)late-night find (38)romantic (32)kid-friendly (29)great for brunch (28)scenic view (23)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Average Mexican food at High PricesukdinerVIPDined on 8/31/2014We went for my husband's birthday and were very disappointed. All of our food was cold and his beef fajitas were so chewy that he couldn't eat them. The children's menu only had sodas as the included beverage and we had to pay extra for milk. The server was very sweet and brought a manager over to discuss our concerns however, she was completely uninterested and did nothing to address our issues. For this amount of money, the food should have been stellar - save your money and go somewhere else!Special Features:
- Great for everyone!MShizzleDined on 8/29/2014Lots of options for different food restrictions. You can have your celiacs, vegetarians, folks watching salt intake, etc all at the same table! The energy and ambiance of your meal totally depends on where you're seated. There are a couple of romantic nooks, but the majority is meant for big group dinners. Wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok not amazingPoppyDined on 8/28/2014We had great margaritas. The food was good. The meat in my beef/steak tacos was quite chewy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesomejennyhDined on 8/28/2014Great food, awesome ambiance.....pineapple Margarita was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun placebdayDined on 8/20/2014We had a fun time at Cantina Laredo. I think we'll make it a place to stop in for drinks and snacks. The ambiance is vibrant and fresh. The drinks appetizers and desserts were excellent...some main dishes were just ok (veggie taco and pork taco were similar to other places and ok; barbacoa tacos were excellent). Maybe fewer options would allow all dinner plates to be outstanding?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place to meet visiting guestsalexDined on 8/16/2014Been to Cantinia Laredo twice when meeting out of town guests. It has been easy to get a reservation, good food and service, and convenient location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KellyVIPDined on 8/14/2014Another wonderful meal!!!! Food is fresh and well prepared. Service cannot be beat.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2014Everything was fine except the noise level. This group of people were literally screaming.Special Features:
- Nice decor, good drinksALF1Dined on 8/13/2014Nice decor, good drinks. Don't order the fish tacos.Special Features:
- What a disappointment!BillyKlubDined on 8/11/2014Have been here several times a couple years ago and was always great........ This past visit was terrible. Service was poor and amateurish. Bus person were playing games and obnoxious in behavior. Never will go again!
- Great ExperienceBPMMillerDined on 8/9/2014I loved the atmosphere! Food was fantastic! The waiter forgot a couple of our orders. Besides that it was a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the visit but.......WolfgangDined on 8/8/2014We've been here many times when visiting the city and love the food. When it's busy, the noise level is terrible. Not as good of a trip this time. Server spilled an entire margarita on my wife and she wasn't offered anything. Could have complained but we were on our way to a concert and short on time. May think twice about coming back next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/6/2014My mom and I were not impressed with the food or the service at Cantina Laredo. The food was very bland. We ordered the made to order guacamole, but there was still not taste to it. I didn't think it was possible to ruin guacamole, but there was way too much lime juice and the tasted seemed watered down in someway. I had the fish taco, which was a house special, but I have definitely had better options elsewhere. The only thing I would go back for is the drinks. The Ginger Mango Rita was delicious!Special Features:
- 4th Time... always good.CharlieDined on 8/2/2014I am in Chicago at least 10 times a year and this spot makes a great cocktail, outstanding food and reasonably priced. You can go wait in line to get into the cramped and trendy Frontera Grill down the street, but Laredo has equally good food, at a better price. Fun place.Special Features:
- great food!dinerDined on 8/1/2014We love the food, and the atmosphere is happening. Love the outdoor fire feature.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- modern vibe and great foodKateDined on 8/1/2014Cantina Laredo had amazing food, from the guac to the tacos, we were very impressed! Also great margaritas and a fun modern vibe to the restaurantSpecial Features:
- Food very disappointing this time.BPragmaticDined on 8/1/2014Guacamole, which in the past had been outstanding, was tasteless, except for the heat from too hot jalapeno bits in it. My guest asked for it to be made mild, but even though there wasn't a lot of jalapeno in it, even one tiny piece made my tongue burn for a long time after. and I like hot! My Chicken enchiliada with mole was tasty, but sauce on top had been there long enough to soak in, and there was no sauce under it, making it way too dry. My Patron Silver Margarita too sweet and very limey. Couldn't tell there was any tequila in it. My guest asked for her steak to be medium rare, but was medium to well-done.
- Don't Waste Your MoneymamasarsDined on 8/1/2014We were very disappointed in the restaurant. Mostly it was the service, but the food was just adequate. We ordered a margarita and chips and guacamole. We gave the waiter our dinner order but told him we wanted to relax and to please not put the order in right away. We had not even finished our guacamole or our first drink and the dinner plates arrived. We were in and out of there in less than 45 minutes. Not the relaxing dinner we had expected. When I told him our dinner came too early he said well Mexican food doesn't take that long to make. Not only did the waiter lose out on a larger tip, the restaurant lost out on us ordering additional drinks and dessert. If I wanted fast food I would have gone to Taco Bell or Chipolte.
- Fun Mexican PlaceECVHDined on 7/31/2014I love when restaurants honor reservatiom times! Our table was ready upon our arrival and we were promptly seated despite having only 3 of 4 in our party. Will come back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect weekend night ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014Great for pregame and light food before going out on a weekend night. Margaritas are good. And the music gets you in the mood for a enjoyable night aheadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This time I was disappointedmaybenexttimeDined on 7/26/2014I have been to Cantina Laredo a couple times before and usually had a great experience. This time....not so much. I found the margarita to be pretty poor quality and I thought the guacamole was lacking taste. My main entrée was just ok. I think it's a great place, maybe just off on Saturday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014Great food, excellent service and wonderful atmosphere. Have been here many times and am never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Muy BuenoSarahJDined on 7/25/2014The food is delicious and comes out quickly. We had the fresh made guacamole (so fresh and tasty) appy ahi tuna tacos, tacos de carnitas (the best!) and tacos de castillos. Everything tasted amazing! The margaritas are tasty and go down way to easy. Warm, social environment, but good for date nights as well.Special Features:
- Great restaurantHalMVIPDined on 7/21/2014We were in town and with my college age kids. They had a great time. We love margaritas and street tacos. Both were great. Service was excellent. We would recommend to anyone whether they were with adults or familiesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent Food and Average service.ChitownnewbyDined on 7/20/2014We had the chicken and steak Fajitas, which was good, but nothing spectacular. We did not do the table side Guacamole because neither of us can stand avacados, so I cannot speak to that. The restaurant is very modern and sleek and has a chic vibe to it, so I dont really recommend it as a family restaurant, but for singles on a date, or out for lunch it is more than adequate. In the end, decent food but the service was less than spectacular.Special Features:
- LoudSuarulesDined on 7/19/2014I have been to the Cantina Laredo in Branson, MO on many occasions and like that one better. The times I have been to the Chicago location it is very noisy and hard to carry on a conversation with those in your party.
- Great Place to EatAmazingDined on 7/19/2014I just love this restaurant. Amazing food, great service. I would recommend this place to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FrankDined on 7/19/2014Great place! Great food! We are looking forward to our next visit.
- Great timeLove2eatDined on 7/19/2014My in laws were in town for the night and they don't come to the city often. We wanted to take them to one of our favorite places to eat. We took them to Cantina Laredo and they weren't disappointed. The food was excellent and our server, Tony was awesome! The entire dinner went perfect and no one left hungry. Never unhappy when we leave this place and that's why we love it so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceIlovefoodDined on 7/19/2014Our waitress was awesome! Extremely friendly and prompt! She chatted with us and recommended drinks, which were perfect. The food was absolutely outstanding! I was in a group with 6 people and all of us loved it, I got the steak fajitas and next time I'm in chicago I will definitely be back for those fajitas. My go to restaraunt for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding yet againPBfoodVIPDined on 7/19/2014Cantina never disappoints. I have been going there since they opened and it has become my "go to" Mexican restaurant in the city. I seriously could eat there multiple times a week, oh right, I just did! Their tableside quac and queso dip are the perfect start to the meal. Topped off with their chips which are perfect, heavy enough to hold the quac and lightly salted. On to the entrees ... their tamales are wonderful as are the brisket tacos. Yum! The last two visits I had both the shrimp quesadillas for one and the trio fajitas (shrimp wrapped in bacon, steak and chicken) for the other. Neither disappointed! Have hosted dinners as well as private events there and it always receives rave reviews after!Special Features:
- Awesome food!Javy1415Dined on 7/18/2014Food is awesome! Ceviche was great, I had the mole enchiladas, my wife had the crab enchiladas ( didn't think there was such thing ) although my mole enchiladas were a bit dry they where very good!. Must of been the mole sauce, the crab enchiladas on the other hand were amazing! Will definitely go again. Only thing that bothered me was that even though I had a reservation and was their 10 minutes early I still had to wait a few minutes after the reservation time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the GuacChicagoDiner1318Dined on 7/18/2014Great spot to enjoy drinks and appetizers. We always get the made-fresh-tableside guacamole to enjoy with the in-house made salsa. We usually get the fajitas but went on the lighter side with the tacos this visit. Recommended for date night or catching up with friends; relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:
- Modern MexicanKAONDined on 7/18/2014Mexican food with a twist. Large portions - enough to share. Friendly and efficient staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointingfc1234Dined on 7/17/2014Overall very disappointing. One of the drink orders were wrong to start of with. They never refilled my tea glass till the end when it was time to leave. One of the food orders that came out was also wrong. The 2 fajita chicken orders had a burnt taste to it and was not edible. The server never really came by as much as they should have. The server, table assists all seem to very disorganized. The value was not there for what we paid. I had eaten at this location months earlier and it was fine but not on the latest visit.Special Features:
- First time diningLove2dineDined on 7/16/2014Server couldn't hear us because the noise. It was my friends birthday and he brought him the wrong drink. Never checked back with the table to see how anything was for the drinks or the food. I owned a restaurant for 20 yrs and that's the first thing you teach your staff " customer satisfaction" how can you have a great experience if you have no service? I enjoyed the food and will give you another chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sophisticated Mexican foodBJNMIAMI1Dined on 7/14/2014Great location, atmosphere service and food. Service was excellent. Fresh food. Great presentation. Guacamole prepared at you table ++Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Meal!mbt725Dined on 7/12/2014Went to Cantina for the 2nd time after over a year and I completely forgot how good the food and drinks are made...some of the best margaritas (you can tell it's good liquor and mixed well) and high quality food! I took my parents here who were visiting downtown and they had great things to say because everything was perfect! We had the freshly made guac (made in front of you!), one brunch dish which was good and two different taco plates (sorry forgot the names), but then we finished with an amazing brownie dish! I would definitely recommend Cantina if you're looking for really good mexican dishes and tasty drinks! It might be pricey to some but I think it's pretty average for River North.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience!!govik007Dined on 7/11/2014Love the restaurant, it was a great experience. I had already gone once before with a friend and really liked it. I decided to take a few friends out on Friday evening and the service was excellent a bit loud but thats not the resaturant's fault I think people are just really happy and enjoying themselves and with few cocktails so the volume goes up just a bit so it makes it difficult to talk but I am sure on other days is not like that. But really loved the food and the mojitos!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loud, but food worth the noiseBdinesVIPDined on 7/11/2014We shared a delicious salad of greens, pecans, mango, shrimp & jicama; a carnitas entree; chicken stuffed with shrimp entree; the hot apple pie & nut brownie desserts. As a warning, salad dressing had a definite heavyhanded ginger note, which wasn't listed on the menu (for those not expecting the Asian spice). Entrees were a little on the spicy side for diners who can't handle much heat, but were so tasty nonetheless. We asked our waiter if he would leave off the sizzling Mexican butterscotch topping, which he said wasn't possible - why? I don't know, as splattering butter is poured over the top of our completed desserts. While all that butter is yummy, we could have easily done without it. Overall, a nice meal, I will go back!!Special Features: