346 Hanover Street
Boston, MA 02113Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cantinaitaliana.com/
- Phone: (617) 723-4577
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Charles Colella
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
- Entertainment: We are offering a special menu on SUNDAYS from 12:00pm-10:30pm, 2 courses for $25.00.
- Special Events: "2 for $25 Sunday Special" Cantina Italiana will be offering a set menu on Sundays from Noon-10:30 pm. An appetizer and an entree all for $25 per person.
A word from Cantina Italiana
A tradition in Boston’s historic North End. We have been serving generations of families,locals and tourists in the North End since 1931. People crave the taste of our food. Some say their mouths water just thinking about eating here. That’s why when we change even the slightest thing,they let us know it. Some things should stay just as they are.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cantina Italiana reviews from OpenTable diners
93 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (58)fit for foodies (28)good for groups (27)special occasion (24)notable wine list (15)kid-friendly (14)romantic (14)hot spot (6)great for lunch (4)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Above and beyondScarlattiDined on 11/22/2014We had an 8:30 reservation for six people on Saturday night. We planned to meet there at 7:30 and hang at the bar until we could be seated. So, even though they said our full party needed to be there to seat us, they went ahead and seated the first two people to show up. Unknown to us, there was a Bruins game and a Christmas concert at Quincy market that night, so there was no parking anywhere. The husbands had dropped us off, and went in search of parking. A while later we told our waiter, Noel, why we were still waiting, and he suggested they just use the valet parking (duh!). My husband walked in at that point, but the other driver who had been circling for 45 min had pulled over on the street a few cars away and was texting that he might just go home and come back after dinner! Our waiter actually went outside and flagged him down, dragged him in with him, and the valets took his car from there. Doesn't sound like much, but it really made the evening work for us! The food was served just in the right timing, everyone's dish was great- I had the arugula salad with balsamic glaze, and the pasta dish with broccoli rabe and sausage, mmmm. The Chianti was very good. The place was packed and I definitely know why. Every time we come here we are guaranteed of a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre lunchjends23VIPDined on 11/22/2014Our service was good, and the waitress was friendly and helpful. The food was just so so. One of our dishes was luke warm, and the taste was mediocre. Nothing fantastic about it. Sadly, we won't be going there again, since there are plenty of places in the North End, though just because it's the North End doesn't make it better then other areas.
- What can I say . . .bfdMikeDined on 11/21/2014Cantina never disappoints. Food is always delicious. Great wine. Probably my favorite restaurant in the North End.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant was very nice!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014Loved the food and the service. It was larger than we thought which we liked. It was quiet with the real Italian feel to it. Wonderful - would go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodMattmanVIPDined on 11/18/2014Really enjoyed the food and service! Waiter was knowledgeable and attentive. Larger group and all thoroughly enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kitkatDined on 11/11/2014fabulous and will return. great service, great foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Basic Italian FoodLennyVDined on 11/9/2014Very good menu selections and assortment of different dishes. Waiter was very attentive and service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good Italian in the North EndNYCFoodieVIPDined on 11/8/2014Ate here on a hectic Saturday night for the first time. Food was a cut above most North End restaurants I've eaten at. Very good drink menu and wine list. Restaurant could use a makeover - ambiance is really the only thing lacking. Would recommend and will be back.Special Features:
- like grandma s Sunday mrslOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Authentic Italian cuisine. Fantastic menu. Everything is made on premises. We will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK last resortOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014I chose the antipasto special which was good. We had the Bombolotti alla Buongustaia, which was good and the Vitello Fiore, 2 smallish pieces of veal, which were very tender, covered by 2 thin slices of eggplant in a very good red sauce. It was tasty but the portion was small and did not come with pasta. It was on OK last resort, but I know there are much better options in the North End.Special Features:
- Great time, great foodF00d1eDined on 11/1/2014Our dining experience was awesome. We had a knowledgeable and polite server, the ambiance and energy were awesome, and the food- delicious. We'll definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Pleasantly SurprisedAmysmDined on 10/25/2014Made a last minute reservation on a Saturday night. Most places I checked could not accommodate my party of 4 until 10:00pm so I was a little nervous that there was room here. Boy were were surprised. The food was excellent, and service even better. Omar, our waiter was outstanding. Friendly, knowledgeable and efficient. I would not hesitate to go back.Special Features:
- Definitely should go!TamtDined on 10/25/2014I thought the food was quite good. We even had the meatballs and many Italians don't eat meatballs out(at least the ones I know). The portions were sufficient and reasonable price. It is very loud. I also suggest making a reservation.Special Features:
- Great Food!KJNHDined on 10/25/2014Food was great, as was the service. The restaurant was a little on the loud side. Great place to go with family or friends. Would not suggest if you are looking for a quiet, romantic dinner for two. Thought prices were a little higher than average but the food was well presented and delicious! Will be back soon.Special Features:
- Great North End Evening!PJNHDined on 10/25/2014Wonderful dining prior to the Fleetwood Mac concert! Ample and delicious food, tasty lemon sorbet for dessert, and very nice staff! Costa, the waiter, graciously answered all questions regarding Vegetarian selections. Though busy with chatty people, the noice level was not too loud for my husband with a hearing issue. Very nice choice and we will certainly return!Special Features:
- YumKinderVIPDined on 10/24/2014Love the just like home Italian dinner. A special dish not on the menu was accommodated. Love the house wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MontanafoodieDined on 10/24/2014Antipasti great but entres lacking in flavor to write home about. Nice atmosphere with energy and yet not too loud. Excellent for small groups.Special Features:
- Great food in the heart of ItalyMikeytodVIPDined on 10/20/2014Food is amazing and service is friendly. Try the lasagna is worth a try.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2014Excellent meal, service and knowledge of waiter was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth seeking outBostonSporeDined on 10/18/2014This is a Boston suburbs local gem. We drove out from the city especially for our anniversary. The menu changes seasonally and was truly outstanding. Octupus that was incredibly tender, homemade fettucini, wow. Pumpkin creme brulee. Sommelier on hand, we found a small production Italian wine that was outstanding. The service was very attentive, just perfect. Casual atmosphere, a neighborhood place. Considering all of the great restaurants in Boston proper, I can attest it is worth heading to Waltham for this wonderful restaurant. I look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the walkValNikDined on 10/18/2014I always visit when in Boston!!! The staff is friendly and will actually have a conversation with you. Food is wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service was outstanding.ChalfontfoodieVIPDined on 10/11/2014Don't get there before your reservation. Bar is small and there is no place to wait for your table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!foodieVIPDined on 10/2/2014Lobster ravioli and cavatelli formagi were awesome and the service attentive. If I had any problem with this place, it was when I ordered a vodka and tonic and was told they had nothing but flavored vodka and they didn't have a full bar. I was somewhat taken aback as there are hundreds of Italian restaurants in the north end somehow I wound up with one without a full bar.
- Great for a small group!BarryCDined on 9/20/2014My friends and I were looking for an Italian place in the North End, and chose Cantina Italiana. We arrived early for our reservation, and they accommodated us. We had a great table. The service was friendly and attentive. The food was good. Everything was served at the appropriate temperature. Sometimes, it was a little difficult to hear because the noise level was very high, but such is often the case in a small environment. Overall, a very good experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good as alwayswheninbostonDined on 9/13/2014Have dined here every year when in Boston for conferences, excellent every timeI would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok onlyPAGS57VIPDined on 9/5/2014My wife really liked the chicken parm but I did not like the veal parm.
- Consistently greatVegasVIPDined on 9/1/2014My husband and I have been coming to Cantina Italiana for over 30 years. It remains our North End staple. The food is always delicious,and the service is always excellent. You won't be disappointed. Ambiance is warm and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WARNING: VALET PARKING RIPOFFSomeoneSomewhereVIPDined on 8/29/2014What they don't tell you about the valet parking is that it's $20!! That's not service, that's a rip-off. That said, if you park elsewhere or walk, you'll find very good food, with most portions enough for two meals.
- Over saucedbostonflyboyVIPDined on 8/26/2014Yesterday I had a wonder pasta dish that I raved about: broken up fennel sausage, rabe, with a light sauce that just coated the rigatoni. Here the pasta with salmon and peas was totally over sauced. Too much,too rich and just too much pasta. The sauce overpowered the salmon, which was surprisingly tender in same bites. There are too many other good italian restaurants that prepare pasta dishes with just the right mix of pasta. intriguing ingredients and sauce to draw me back here.
- One word -- BombolottiyummoDined on 8/24/2014This was the second time I've been to Cantina Italiana. The last time was probably 3 or 4 years ago (I don't live in the Boston area), but I couldn't forget their signature homemade pasta - Bombolotti - which is long uncut wagon wheel pasta. This is the dish I had both times and loved it! Straight from the menu: "Bombolotti alla Buongustaia - Homemade Bombolotti pasta, tossed with spicy Italian sausage, fresh basil and marinara sauce, topped with parmigiano and fresh goat cheese, baked to perfection." Many of the pasta types are homemade. Everyone in my party of 6 was happy with their choices ranging from seafood pasta to gnocchi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A night outParrinoNightoutDined on 8/23/2014Had a great time and really enjoyed the great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time ... Will go backCathyVIPDined on 8/23/2014The food and service were both OUTSTANDING! The restaurant is dated but it almost added to the charm. We would go back for the great food. Very casual diningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SheckySheckyDined on 8/22/2014Have never had a bad meal at this place. Had dinner there Friday night, 8/22. I had Veal Saltimboca. Absolutely delicious. My companion had Veal Parm. Also delicious. Service was superb, as always. There are a lot of newer, fancier Italian restaurants to go to in the North End, but we prefer the Cantina. It never disappoints.Special Features:
- Great food as always!BobODined on 8/20/2014We absolutely enjoyed our dinner at Cantina Italiana. We were celebrating my daughters last day of interning at the statehouse and wanted to have dinner at a place we knew would be great. The wait staff was very attentive right from greeting us to explaining the outstanding specials for the evening and making sure we had everything we needed. The lasagna is a favorite and did not disappoint. The seafood ravioli special which was recommended by our waiter was delicious beyond my expectations. We can always count on a memorable experience when we visit the Cantina....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerJXP70Dined on 8/17/2014Last minute reservations for 6 people. Food and service were both great. Veal parm was excellent. No trendy stuff here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014everything from food to service was very good.shrimp appetizer was very good and different.two different veal dishes were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014Very good food and service was great. everyone was so friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014This was my fourth visit and every time it has been excellent. The bolegnes is wonderful!Special Features:
- AWSOME food and servicePauldigiDined on 8/2/2014Loved the service. Third time going in past 6 months. The broccolirabe was AWSOME. Gluten fee pene tasted like regular pasta and loved the sauce and sausages with it. Wine selection was decent. They had two nice Sauvignon Blancs to choose from. Chianti Classico reserva always a good standby. Omar was a terrific and very attentive waiter. Only problem was the noise level as we were seated next to a party of 10.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tourist TrapOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/31/2014This is a TOURIST TRAP. There are plenty of other good options that are much better and reasonably priced. Average cost of a dish is 20$ and the price does not match the quality of the food. It's not bad but its not anything I'd write home about. The waiter got my order wrong and tried to blame me. When I placed the order he repeated what I said and yet blamed me for the mistake. He wasn't a jerk about it but he could have owned up to it. I don't think I will be going back. I was offered the dinner that came out mistakenly to be packed. When I left the restaurant I never got it. Guess they changed their mind.