346 Hanover Street
Boston, MA 02113Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cantinaitaliana.com/
- Phone: (617) 723-4577
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Charles Colella
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
- Entertainment: We are offering a special menu on SUNDAYS from 12:00pm-10:30pm, 2 courses for $25.00.
- Special Events: "2 for $25 Sunday Special" Cantina Italiana will be offering a set menu on Sundays from Noon-10:30 pm. An appetizer and an entree all for $25 per person.
A word from Cantina Italiana
A tradition in Boston’s historic North End. We have been serving generations of families,locals and tourists in the North End since 1931. People crave the taste of our food. Some say their mouths water just thinking about eating here. That’s why when we change even the slightest thing,they let us know it. Some things should stay just as they are.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cantina Italiana reviews from OpenTable diners
- Excellent food, excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/13/2008Excellent food, excellent service, very attentive waiter and a very pleasant dining experience overall. We would definitely go back!Special Features:
- The waiter was very helpfulOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/7/2008The waiter was very helpful and congenial. The food was excellent and the ambiance was pleasant. They seated us within minutes of our arival. Overall I would highly recommend this restaurant to our friends.Special Features:
- The food was wonderful, thoughOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/7/2008The food was wonderful, though I would have appreciated more vegetarian options. However, two factors really detracted from our experience: 1) No one refilled our water glasses for the entire meal. We had to ask our waiter several times for more water, and each time it took another server several minutes to get to us. It was difficult to fully enjoy the food when we were constantly thirsty. 2) Our table was crammed into a corner with another table for 4, in an area with constant traffic of waitstaff and customers. The two people in the outside seats were constantly having to move their chairs, which made it difficult to just relax. Having made a reservation several days ahead of time, we should have been given a better table.
- Dependable. Yummy ItalianPastaFreakDined on 5/27/2008Dependable. Yummy Italian food and a very nice wine list. Prices were very reasonable.Special Features:
- The food was absolutely deliciousChiller101VIPDined on 5/24/2008The food was absolutely delicious and the service was superb! Another bonus - the wine list had bottles of wine in the $20's which is gret for a restaurant like this! I would definitely recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- This is the second time thatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/24/2008This is the second time that I have been to Cantina Italiana and both times I have loved it!Special Features:
- Great food, nice atmosphere.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/22/2008Great food, nice atmosphere. The wait staff also went out of their way to make sure my wife felt special on her birthday.Special Features:
- Enjoyed a family dinner hereRockstar730Dined on 5/19/2008Enjoyed a family dinner here for 4 people and 2 bottles of wine, our bill was under $200 which is impressive these days. Everything was delicious, our waiter was knowledgeable about the menu and neighborhood and our evening was truly wonderful. Thanks Cantina, hope to come back again soon!Special Features:
- Our party of six (three adultssenorsteveDined on 5/18/2008Our party of six (three adults and 3 young adults) went on a very busy night. Our 8:30 reservation ran over to almost 9. Our waiter was excellent. Food-wise, three things stand out: 1) we asked for olive oil and a server (not our waiter) poured a large pool for dipping without telling us it was seasoned with hot pepper. One of our diners had to leave the table due to a coughing fit. 2) the “fresh pasta” seemed a lot like dry pasta—thick, tough, and ordinary. 3) my stuffed pork chop, one of the evening’s specials was tough and dry.; I only ate a few bites. The mussels, lasagna and side dishes of spinach, broccoli, and mushrooms were all excellent. It’s a great place for a large group and families.Special Features:
- Our meal was excellent andsaysayDined on 5/18/2008Our meal was excellent and the service was fantastic!Special Features:
- The oldest restaurant in theConcordNativeDined on 5/17/2008The oldest restaurant in the North End keeps delivering the best southern Italian fare in New England. We've been dining at Cantina for 20 years and every time we go it's wonderful. Any place that will let you order off the menu (Linguine Vongole in red sauce is to die for) is tops in my book. It's one of our top 5 in New England.Special Features:
- This is a North End gem.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/17/2008This is a North End gem. It was crowded, busy, spirited, Italian, and just what we were looking for to celebrate a college graduation. The food was delicious and our service was absolutely outstanding. Also the reservation system worked smoothly; they had us in their system when we arrived and we only had a short wait, as the line of walk ins grew and grew for the minimum hour wait. All in all a perfect evening.Special Features:
- Went on a Saturday night duringOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/17/2008Went on a Saturday night during graduation week. The place was wall to wall people and likely a bit overbooked. We ended up waiting about 30 min past our reservation for a table, which all things considered was not horrible. The hostess was very nice and was doing her best. Once we were sat,the service was good, but not spectacular, as our waiter was cordial, but not friendly. The food was excellent, their breads and pastas were impressive and the sauce was very good as well. They had a very nice wine list with a decent range of prices and styles. All and all a very enjoyable meal. I would certainly go back for a second time and would recommend to anyone that likes good, homemade pasta.
- very good food. nice waitOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/17/2008very good food. nice wait staff and good wine list. did not feel rushed. worth a trip back on our next boston visit.Special Features:
- I ended up making reservationsOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 5/16/2008I ended up making reservations here because two other North End restaurants more "in the news" these days had no tables available for 7pm on a Friday night. My wife was skeptical of my choice because she assumed Cantina Italiana, because it has been around for so long, might turn out to be an unexciting place with traditional but unexciting fare. We (including our brother-in-law from Elkhart IN) were pleasantly surprised and had a fantastic time! Though very noisy, there was a great atmosphere, and the noise seemed to echo the excitement of all the guests who loved being back there. All three of our choices - pork chop, seafood assortment, lasagna (can't remember all the official names, sorry!) - were excellent, as was the waiter!Special Features:
- We sat at the bar while weOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/10/2008We sat at the bar while we waited for our table. It was pleasant but being a cool night it was very cold at the bar with the doors left open. There were also too many staff members hanging around the hostess area - it was distracting. Otherwise it was a wonderful restaurant - excellent food and service.Special Features:
- We left the menu choices upEJOGVIPDined on 5/8/2008We left the menu choices up to Stefano the waiter --- so we could have choices and share --- both his service and the his and the chefs picks were absolutely beyond what we could have just ordered looking at the menu ============== wonderful wonderful!!! I shall return and I shall always ask for Stefano ............ thanks!!!Special Features:
- overall really good, serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/3/2008overall really good, service food etc, however one BIG MISS they were told by my daugther to charge our meal on her credit card it was suppose to be a supprise for us this did not happen.Special Features:
- There was nothing bad aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/26/2008There was nothing bad about my meal - or the others at my table. I think everyone enjoyed their meals - I would definitely come back. Although, I wouldn't come with a big group of 6 again as the booths seem to comfortably accomodate 4 - and it's best to sit in the front room for better ambiance.Special Features:
- What alot of people do notOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/23/2008What alot of people do not realize is this is the oldest restaurant in the North End, but the food and ambiance make it very enjoyable. If you are going there as a couple the window table is great at night, it lets you enjoy the dining experience and the North End at the same timeSpecial Features:
- Wonderful evening...... PinoOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/19/2008Wonderful evening...... Pino our waiter was GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- From out of state and thisOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/18/2008From out of state and this was the best italian restaurant I have ever dined in. Loved the food and the service. I can not imagine a better place to spend an evening meal. Our waiter Micheal was very informed and extremely helpful when making menue deciosions.Special Features:
- Great food and plenty of it.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/17/2008Great food and plenty of it. The accordian player was a bit obnoxious!!! He was soooooo loud and interupted a couple having dinner 3 times during their evening! We have been to Cantina 30+ times and always look forward to our dinners there. The new deserts are GREAT! See you soon!Special Features:
- food and service was good;OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/10/2008food and service was good; but nothing spectacular or memorable. we had nice table near street. should note that while wine list and beer selection were OK; they do not serve any types of hard liquor.
- Outstanding food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/7/2008Outstanding food and service. The waiter actually sent my dessert back to the kitchen because he didn't like the way it looked--I really appreciated that!Special Features:
- There was no place to putOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/5/2008There was no place to put coats except for at the end of the booths, and they kept falling off. Some of us had to sit with our jackets on our laps so it was annoying. There could have been a couple more less expensive wine options as well. The service was outstanding and the food was great.
- The food was fantastic, IOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/3/2008The food was fantastic, I had the Veal Parmasean and my date had the Eggplant Parmasean. My date said "it was the best she ever had". We also had the Fried Calamari as an appatizer, which was also phenominal. We got there a little bit before our reservation, but we were able to be sat when we came in. The accordian player/singer was a nice touch, and service was great. Our waiter knew the specials without having to read them off a card (good to see), and was attentive with our drinks and refills. Overall it was a great first dining experience for me in the North End, and would have no problem recomending this restaraunt.Special Features:
- Overall, very fun place!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/29/2008Overall, very fun place! A bit crowded when waiting for a table, but the experience was very fun, casual, traditional, and delicious!Special Features:
- My husband and I only lovess777Dined on 3/29/2008My husband and I only love good food, I'm very particular about food. The dinner we had here was excellent! I have only one suggestion, the bread should be served warm.Special Features:
- Spinach salad and Veal FioreOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/28/2008Spinach salad and Veal Fiore were outstanding. Open Table is the way to go for reservations -fast and it works. when we walked in the reservation was all set although I had only made it online an hour before.Special Features:
- Not pleased with the waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/26/2008Not pleased with the waiter overall. Most importantly, we were served a dish we didn't order and when we mentioned the mistake to the waiter he argued with us. We didn't want/didn't eat the extra food yet the waiter never even offered to adjust the bill. Consequently, we ended up paying for the extra dish. I've been dining at the Cantina for years, usually the service is excellent but not the other night.Special Features:
- I had been there 20+ yearsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/22/2008I had been there 20+ years ago and didn't know what to expect this time. The food was excellent! Everything was cooked perfectly. The restaurant was busy with only a few waiters, but service was good as well. Very enjoyable meal and not too expensive.Special Features:
- Not the most notable ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/22/2008Not the most notable Italian food I've ever had, but traditional southern Italian. We had a great table in the front window which, for 8 people, allowed us some quiet to share conversation. Those who had wine enjoyed the choices.
- We had a very good time onOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/21/2008We had a very good time on the busy last day of Restaurant Week. Service was efficient and friendly. Good hearty fare - big serving sizes!Special Features:
- The food was wonderful andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/19/2008The food was wonderful and our waiter was commented by the group as one of the best for service and charm... It was a pleasure to dine at lunch and plan to give dinner a try soon with my husband. thanks againSpecial Features:
- Always consistent - food isOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/17/2008Always consistent - food is yummy, service is great and the accordion guy is the BEST!Special Features:
- The booth divider thing shouldOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/15/2008The booth divider thing should be made more firm so that if I accidentally bump my arm against it, it shouldn't rattle.
- It is an old school itailianOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/15/2008It is an old school itailian restaurant with a lot of character. Far more than any of the newer, trendier places. The food was excellent. A perfect Boston North End experience.Special Features:
- A tight fit especially crammedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/15/2008A tight fit especially crammed into a corner with a larger party talking loudly in our ears. Were not seated very quickly despite several open tables and reservations. Waiter not very good. Never brought over the Diet Coke my wife ordered and would walk away before we could make any requests. Seemed annoyed to have been serving us. He made several trips because he wouldn't let us ask for sugar, more water, etc. Expensive though we knew that, but were also charged twice for our tip: cash and then credit card. Waiter definitely did not deserve TWO tips as he barely deserved the one he got.Special Features:
- Very good food, decent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/15/2008Very good food, decent service and atmosphere. Would go again sometime...too many other choices on Hanover street in Boston to go to the same place all the time.Special Features: