7402 Germantown Ave.
Philadelphia, PA 19119Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cantinaavenida.com/
- Phone: 2673856857x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm,
Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Latin / Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Edgar Alvarez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering options are available, please inquire with the restaurant directly.
A word from Cantina Avenida
Cantina Avenida has the best margaritas in town! We have amazing Latin street fare and small plates for everyone. Check out our Crab Nachos and Crispy Fried Calamari with tomato habanero sauce. Cantina Avenida's Mole fries with vegetarian chorizo, Chihuahua cheese and pasilla mole sauce are simply amazing.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Cantina Avenida - Best Restaurants in Chestnut Hill ›
Cantina Avenida reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since April 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (35)neighborhood gem (33)fit for foodies (21)kid-friendly (18)good for groups (17)great for lunch (9)romantic (8)great for brunch (8)special occasion (6)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (2)hot spot (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Avenida never disappointsLove2DineVIPDined on 8/15/2014New menu is great, small plates are perfect for sharing. Best margarita in town. Must try cheese buns!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- STILL love AvenidashalafarkyDined on 7/27/2014This was my first visit since their rebranding as Cantina Avenida & I wasn't sure what to expect. The change seems to reflect a shift from Mexican haute cuisine to awesome Latin cuisine (not sure how this is "street fare"), but except for some awesome evolution of the menu, the place looks the same - maybe some new paint colors, and the wait staff remains attentive and very friendly. Most importantly, the food is still out of this world, unique, and leaves me looking forward to my next visit! I miss the spare ribs (hope they return!), but really enjoyed the Pollo a la Brasa and the Chicken Tacos. For dessert, do not miss the White Chocolate Burnt Caramel Pudding - out of this world!!Special Features:
- Nice but still noisysquireDined on 7/23/2014Food was good, although not quite as menu selections as before. Although we were there on a Wednesday night and relatively early, it was still quite noisy. Difficult for people with hearing difficulties to carry on a conversation. My husband missed the Pinot Noir they used to have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sbhbDined on 7/23/2014We were six people for a celebratory dinner. We ordered a wide variety of dishes from the interesting menu, including three type of tacos, and all were tasty and filling. The calamari with spinach, onions and jalapenos was a standout, as was the chopped salaadd with blueberries, corn, and avocado, and the crab nachos. We downed three pitchers of golden margaritas, which some drinkers later said were watery, but apparently it took them several glasses to come to that conclusion! Service was attentive without being cloying. All in all, a fine evening, and we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/15/2014I had driven past this restaurant a number of times, but my wife and I decided to check it out on our date night one night. The food was really good. Very tasty. I would have liked a few more options but the options that we did have were excellent. It is a nice looking restaurant and the service is excellent. Great Latin food!Special Features:
- Love the changes!mamagrainneDined on 7/13/2014The new menu is delightful -- lighter, more casual, just as tasty as ever. We love it! The new, brighter colors in the space are wonderful. Happy to see the slightly lower price points - makes it easy to choose to eat here more often. The chef was kind enough to make my kids' Pasta con Queso special for them (please bring it back, along with plain fried calamari, the two staples my children enjoy). A winning re-imagining, well done!Special Features:
- Great patio diningSmmphdVIPDined on 7/11/2014We really enjoyed our evening and will return often. Service was friendly but a bit disorganized. Food is very good and inexpensive. Wonderful salads and tacos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Approach a Winner!DonBDined on 7/5/2014The new tapas / small-plate menu keeps the flavors and variety of the old Avenida, adds great new tastes, and the lower prices means we will visit more often. Particular highlights on this visit: lingua soft taco, calamari salad, and carnitas. I'm not normally a fan of sangria, but it was the perfect addition to a festive dinner on this sunny summer evening!Special Features:
- Wonderful food and happy serversOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/4/2014Food is amazing and fun. Server was nice, but food came out reaaalllyyy slowly. Bus boy was a hard worker and really friendly and helpful. Like the restaurant a lot despite the slow service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Small Plate BrunchMichelleGDined on 6/29/2014Went for Sunday brunch and each of us had three small plates that were absolutely awesome. Chicken empanadas, cactus salad, and taco de carnitas were mine and all delicious. Great service and really nice outdoor patio for early Sunday brunch. Highly recommendSpecial Features:
- neighborhood dinersmotherdaughterDined on 6/26/2014Fun menu, delicious food, great service, lively atmosphere, attractive decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taco Bell would be a big step upFroemalletDined on 6/20/2014We were told that they recently changed their menu entirely. I hope the last version was a lot better. First, chips and salsa-basic fare at a Mexican restaurant, right? Wrong. They gave us about 7 small chips that paired in quantity with a stingy stepmother portion of salsa. We also had the guacamole-to give it a fair rating would be generous. My wife was astonished at how anyone could mess up the taste of refried beans. We tried three of their "small plate tacos". The carnita had just enough pork to be the highlight of an extremely lowlight experience. The fish taco....I wasn't convinced that it was really fish in there. As far as I'm concerned, bring back the Creshem Cottage. This place was terrible.
- Yummy Small PlatesLove2DineVIPDined on 6/20/2014New menu is great; nice selection of small plate options. Was surprised to see the caesar salad on the menu. After ordering it, I understand why the owners decided to keep it on the menu. Best caesar salad in town! Try the mole fries or cheese balls... They are both brilliant additions to the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So much potentialGhazahDined on 6/18/2014My friends and I wanted to love this restaurant so much. The food was good overall - a few tapas misses but mostly hits. The service made a negative impact. If you are eating tapas, you'd hope that the wait staff would check in regularly to find out if you want to order more. Not so, we had to grab their attention with difficulty when we wanted to order more and there was definitely a sour attitude. Not the friendliest staff at all. Bad enough that even though we'd LIKE to go back for the food, we probably won't because of the staff.
- Great Latin street food and drinksGlensideDined on 6/15/2014We've always loved the patio garden in back, and with the current owners and menu, good food has returned also. Small plates and tacos were just unusual enough to be interesting. Everything was delicious. Interesting selection of beer and mixed drinks, including a tasty blood orange mojito. One of our new instant favorite places in Chestnut Hill. We went twice in the same weekend since our first visit was so enjoyable.Special Features:
- Good Food/Poor HostessingAdventurousDinerVIPDined on 6/15/2014Went to celebrate my birthday and specifically picked the restaurant because of its outdoor seating. On arrival, we were informed the garden area was full. When we asked how long a wait it would be the hostess seemed to hem and haw, finally coming up with "25 minutes". We reluctantly chose to sit inside, but rather than taking us to the lovely sun room, she led us to a table behind a door in the dark back room. With what seemed like displeasure, she finally consented to seat us in the sun room. After this incredibly irritating introduction, I had little faith in the restaurant, but was pleasantly surprised by the food and the friendliness of the wait staff, however, through our entire meal there were always 6-8 open tables on the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!springerDined on 6/14/2014Wonderful place to sit outside and enjoy a first class margarita; food is excellent and different and not too much; staff couldn't be friendlier; plenty of parking. The perfect place to spend a summer evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/13/2014Was hoping the rebirth into a taqueria would help this restaurant, but the night we were there, we got stale chips, watery margaritas and boring tacos. Caipirinhas were great, as well as the gazpacho. Bummed b/c we live in the neighborhood and are desperate for decent restaurants..,
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/1/2014Had a wonderful time at the new Avenida Cantina! The new decor is lighter, brighter, and comfortable. The food on the new menu was light, fresh, and delicious. We ordered the Mescal and the Blood Orange Mojito cocktails, and those were great, too. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnnieDined on 5/30/2014First time at this restaurant. Was very happy with our choices. It was a beautiful night and we sat outside in a sweet garden area. The food was very good. I am a vegan and it is tough to find restaurants that have food options/choices and they had many! :) Our waitress was wonderful and very helpful. The staff was so nice, attentive, and friendly. Would certainly recommend and would eat here again. My friend said she had a wonderful meal as well.Special Features:
- DisappointeddisappointedDined on 5/29/2014Your change of menu was disappointing. Your Caesar salad with those soft croutons used to be awesome and best Caesar in the area, I actually came to have that the other night and was disappointed, none...I also loved the, I can't think of the name now, chicken with the red or green mole? That was off the menu. We brought guests with us, we were raving about the menu....very disappointing and kind of embarrassing. The service was terrific, warm and friendly staff.Special Features:
- Nice Staff, but......PhillybrunchDined on 5/11/2014Nice staff and very friendly people but the food just wasn't that great. Anybody can cook chicken.....except Avenida. I'm sorry but if you are looking for a good meal this just isn't the place.
- Excellent RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/3/2014Nice people who own and the food is outstanding. I would return and would recommend anyone who wants a very cool night.Special Features:
- Great Service and Wonderful FoodDannyDined on 5/3/2014We found this on open table just scanning through what was available for last minute dinning on Saturday night. It sounded like it would be a fun experience. We were not disappointed. We were seated immediately and our service person was there in a flash with a great big smile and full of enthusiasm. We prefer to order a lot of things from the appetizers and salads rather than dinner. Especially when we are eating somewhere for the 1st time. This strategy was impressed by the service person and she made several excellent suggestions we would not have spotted ourselves. We ordered sever dishes. Everything had an unusual combination of flavors and we had just enough room left to share 3 desserts. Try it yourself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Combo of Latin Food & MariachiRachelVIPDined on 5/2/2014I absolutely loved the Guatemalan vegetarian tamales with tomatillo sauce paired with some yucca fries and a delicious margarita. What topped it all off was a talented 4-piece Mariachi band that took requests and was very personable with all of the guests. Please bring the Mariachi band back often!!Special Features:
- Thursday in MayUrgenteaspoonDined on 5/1/2014For a Thursday evening in May we were fortunate to dine outside during the sunset. The margaritas were quick and tasteful and the service attentive. The appetizers led comfortably to two winning entree's of steamed mussels and pork spare ribs followed by ice cream flanked by a set of wonderfully baked brownies. Affordable and good time was had by all. I'll certainly return for another meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 272 reviews are from the Cantina Avenida reviews archive.
- Fiesta at AvenidaLinCDined on 4/26/2014Casual restaurant with an interesting Latin American inspired menu. They serve delicious gazpacho and ceviche. Pleasant waitstaff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant! We wentZoefDined on 4/12/2014Great restaurant! We went on a Saturday night, so it was a little bit loud but still a great experience. Staff are very friendly and accommodate dietary restrictions/allergies well. My boyfriend has celiac disease and so really appreciated the gluten free menu. Our waitress even pointed out what on my plate was and wasn't gluten free, just in case! I had the ceviche of the day, which was OK, and the grilled octopus which was fantastic! My boyfriend had a chicken dish which he really enjoyed (portion size was large for that one -- a surprise at such a sophisticated restaurant). Avenida is both a romantic, intimate spot, and a place totally welcoming to kids. Parking was easy even on a Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A rediscovered treasureCarmenDined on 4/6/2014It's been a while since we last ate at Avenida. This time we went for the prix fix brunch special. Well, let me tell you, everything was fabulous. Even in early April, the salads tasted farden fresh - not a wilted leaf to be had. Between the friendly and diverse wait staff, the hostess who lends them a hand without looking bothered, the ambiance of restaurant (I felt like I was in a small villa's dining room), and the great food, my family and I will keep this rediscovered gem on our radar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealCandlestyxVIPDined on 3/26/2014I particularly enjoyed the spare ribs and the skirt steak. They had ginger carrot soup that was excellent. Service was terrific, prompt but not overbearing. Great choice for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chicken was not tender. SoupCholleyVIPDined on 3/15/2014Chicken was not tender. Soup was tasteless. Last time here for us.
- Food good but inconsistentLeslieDined on 3/13/2014We enjoyed everything we ordered with one exception. My vegetarian husband ordered the vegetable tamale which was described as having zucchini but contained none and very little other veggies. It mostly consisted of corn meal made into a steamed loaf, which was disappointing to him. Our appetizer nachos with guacamole, pico de gallo and salsa, all house-made, was delicious. My roasted chicken with fired yucca and steamed broccoli with aoili mayo all tasted delicious. The vegan ice cream sandwich, which we shared, was amazing. We will definitely go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ole!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/8/2014Treat yourself to an evening out at this terrific little Chestnut Hill gem. The food is absolutely delectable and the margaritas are too. Like octopus? They've got it and it's nicely grilled -- served on a bed of fresh spinach with grilled avocado. The flank steak was nicely seasoned. Portions are just right and so are the prices. Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Latin food in Chestnut!afd1121VIPDined on 3/1/2014What a little gem of a restaurant. Menu was diverse and interesting from the citrusy guacamole and crisp chips, to the meaty and flavorful grilled octopus and unusual salads to perfectly prepared duck, steak, chickens and vegetarian dishes too. This is latin food with flavors and spices from places like Guatemala and Ecuador. Our server was personable and friendly. Restaurant was intimate - an absolute find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Pleasant SurprisethefoodanimalDined on 2/22/2014Went on a busy Saturday night and had drinks at the bar first. The bartender was the best and the drinks were great. Our table was ready as soon as we finished our drinks and Monica, our waitress was not only friendly and efficient, she was extremely knowledgeable about the menu, the ingredients of each dish and her recommendations were perfect. The food was beyond delicious. We had a person with a severe allergy at our table and she knew just what to avoid. Would recommend and would comeback in a heartbeat. Great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/22/2014We have been to Avenida many times. Everytime we go, i think to myself- why dont we go here all the time. The food was excellent!!!! The margaritas were great. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- At Mt. Airy gemSteveDined on 2/21/2014This was our 2nd dinner at Avenida and we'd definitely go back again. This time the four of us split many of the appetizers instead of going with entrees. Highlights were the ceviche, octopus and the ribs. Heck, even the guacamole and ground pepper sauce was really good. Not quite as fancy as Cantina Feliz, but maybe more authentic and closer to real upscale true Mexican food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the new Cantina Avenida!M119VIPDined on 2/16/2014Wanted to try their new menu, and really glad I did. Went there with some friends last night and we had all enjoyed our meals. So many great small plate choices paired with reasonably priced drinks ($5 beers, and while wines were more, they poured a generous glass). Really liked the fish taco and at $5 it was a great deal; chopped salad was fresh and delicious, and the flan trio got high marks from my companion. Main room definitely gets noisy; not much to absorb the sound of happy diners. Would opt for outside in warm weather. Think this place is going to be a big hit, and happy they took the leap to try this new concept. Definitely a great meet-up place.Special Features:
- Mt. Airy gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/14/2014My husband and I went to Avenida on Valentine's Day because it was in the neighborhood (Mt.Airy) and we didn't want to drive downtown in the snow where we had planned to go for the evening. Avenida was packed! They had a special menu for Valentine's Day which was wonderful (and came with a complimentary glass of Cava with the chocolate desserts). The wait staff had special V-Day tee shirts. It was so festive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family funPat4katzDined on 2/8/2014We took our son, daughter-in-law, and 19-month-old granddaughter out to dinner. It was their first visit to Avenida. Our son is vegan, and the girls can eat dairy. Everyone loved the food. They gave crayons & paper to Wynn, whose food from the kid's menu was brought very quickly, & she nummed every bit of it! She also happily tasted our desserts! A good time was had by all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.