Canterbury Kitchen and Bar
123 South Illinois St.
Indianapolis, IN 46225Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Canterbury Kitchen and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.canterburyhotel.com/default-en.html
- Phone: 3176343000
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Everyday: 7:00am - 10:00am; Lunch: Everyday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Everyday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Earnest Luster
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Historic Canterbury Hotel provides an intimate and relaxing location for your Private Dining, Banquet, and Meeting Room needs. Our boutique style hotel offers the city's most unique banquet and meeting spaces, accommodating up to 100 guests. The Atrium and Parlor areas are perfect for small receptions and other special occasions. Our fully private second floor spaces are open and elegant. The Historic Canterbury Hotel offers a variety of options to cater to your specific needs.
- Private Party Facilities: The Canterbury Hotel offers the city's most unique and intimate private dining, banquet and meeting spaces. We can accommodate 2 - 100 guests comfortably. Here you will experience gourmet cuisine, service expertise, and historical elegance. Be Unique, Dine Boutique!
- Private Party Contact: Jame Thompson 3176349715
- Special Events: Please contact Canterbury Kitchen and Barif you would like updates on special events at our restaurant such as Holiday Buffets, Wine Dinners, Artist Receptions, etc.
A word from Canterbury Kitchen and Bar
Canterbury Kitchen and Bar offers wonderful and innovative dishes that are fun, fresh, and always new! We are built on a tradition of excellent service and a rich history in Indianapolis. We offer an atmosphere that is unique and boutique. Whether looking for a romantic night out or entertaining clients, Canterbury Kitchen and Bar is the perfect choice.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Canterbury Kitchen and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
- Our Dinner Posse finds another gem.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/2013Great atmosphere, really good food, pleasant and helpful (but busy) waiter led to sl. delayed service. I'll orde rthe lambchops one temp. higher next time. I didn't expect the 20% tip added to our table of six, seperately billed.Special Features:
- YUM!PickyEaterVIPDined on 6/5/2013I can not say enough good things about Turner's at the Canterbury Hotel. While the food is terrific, I have to say that it's the service that really sets it apart. Lori (behind the bar) is amazing. Fantastic service, a great personality, and savvy enough to know who wants to talk and who just wants to read the paper. I hope the new owners know what a prize they have in Turner's and know what to do with it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Canterbury TaleBummerVIPDined on 5/24/2013I so wish Turners had lived up to my expectations! What a neat venue. The service was great, and the setting wonderful. But, alas, the food was terrible. I was a tourist in Indy for the races and had, in the past, loved Turner's Bar. Still do - but I now understand why the restaurant is empty. Diners beware...
- Boutique Hotel/RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/17/2013My wife and I love the classic ambience and appointments in the hotel/restaurant. It is unique to Indpls. and staff is exceptional. We are members of the Columbia Club but our favorite destination is the Canterbury!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- upscale dining at it's bestdrkjDined on 5/12/2013again,i was very impressed with the service,atmosphere and food at turner's. thanks again-Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were disappointed withOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/12/2013We were disappointed with the Mother's Day Brunch because we felt that there were items advertised that were not present. My daughter and I both had looked at the site before we made the reservation. While we may have mixed up some of the offerings with other brunches we looked at, the brunch at the Canterbury was definitely not a $35 brunch. The main menu was carved ham, pot roast, salmon, and chicken piccatta. The breakfast offerings were eggs benedict, bacon, quiche, and assorted pastries. Side items included scalloped potatoes and green beans and an everyday salad without added toppings. Desserts were very plain. While everything that we tried was ok, it was not up to what we have expected from a Mother's Day Brunch.
- Poor ServiceRobertDined on 5/12/2013For a high-end hotel having their annual Mother's Day brunch the service was very disappointing. We were seated at a table that was basicllay in the hotel lobby. Foot traffic all around our table the entire meal. Our waiter on checked with us only once and did not appeared very concerned with our dining experience. Huge disappointment!
- Great food; Reasonably pricedRunnerGirlDined on 5/3/2013Great food (My husband and I both had the risotto and added chicken) and good service for a reasonable price. The hotel is slightly off the main strip in downtown Indy which gets you away from the crowds and chain restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little "hidden" place.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/19/2013Great little "hidden" place. Should be considered for special occasions.Special Features:
- Classy place with quiet andOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/13/2013Classy place with quiet and sophisticated decor. Good food especially the Tuna with pistachio crust. Even got a table on a Sat. night with OPEN TABLE.Special Features:
- Took customers for a businessOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/10/2013Took customers for a business dinner and it was perfect. Intimate and quiet enough so that the conversations were easy to hear. Service and food were excellent!
- Another fantastic dining experienceChefkenVIPDined on 4/10/2013Another fantastic dining experience (Thanks Phil and Will!) The food was exceptional. Three of us went and everyone ordered different appetizers, entrees, and desserts and then sampled each other's choices. The appetizer of the night was the baked brie en croute. Simply delicous. The flavor combinations were perfect. Kuddos to the Chef and the guys out front.Special Features:
- Turner's always a 'winner'OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/6/2013We're no strangers to Turners and they never fail us. The superb service, elegantly prepared cuisine and quiet small dining room is perfect for either before the theater or just a special evening out. I've also gone there for business lunches. Their wait staff is attentive and top notch. Note: while older children might be fine, this is not a place to bring babies or small children! The intimate dining room lends itself to quiet conversation or a two-four person business lunch. Turner's is always at the top of our list and for a special occasion like an anniversary, you can't beat Turner's.Special Features:
- Had a lovely and memorableOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/2/2013Had a lovely and memorable dinner with a dear friend at Turner's, The food was excellent and our waiter was friendly and approachable. I will definitely return for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Easter Brunch was terrific.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/31/2013Easter Brunch was terrific. Enjoyed the food and the pianist that played in the lobby where the Brunch tables were set up.Special Features:
- A special placeChipVIPDined on 3/30/2013Turners is a small but amazing spot for a special night or when you want to be able to hear the person you came with and have a converstaion. From the time you drive up you begin to see the special touches that go along with your evening. Wonderful food and service too!Special Features:
- I have been going to Turner'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/22/2013I have been going to Turner's for almost four years. This is a quiet, respectable place for a business meeting or a romantic evening. This is not a place to bring children. Service is excellent and the menu and quality of food is outstanding. They have exceptional valet service, even for lunch. Their staff knows me and they take good care of my car: they will do the same for all patrons. I make sure I tip them well. Turner's at The Canterbury is my "go to" place both for business and family.Special Features:
- I had a poor experience onConnieDined on 3/12/2013I had a poor experience on my first visit to Turners--our server was not at all engaged with us and had to be flagged down several times, especially to get the check. This despite the fact that the place was not even half full. So, I'd pretty much written you off. However, since it is a favorite spot for a friend and we were celebrating her 88th birthday, I decided to give you another chance. This time our experience was quite different. This waiter was friendly and attentive, and that made all the difference. A restaurant can have outstanding food, but if the service is poor, it ruins the experience for me.Special Features:
- Another great dining experience.ChefkenVIPDined on 3/6/2013Another great dining experience. The food was fantastic and Phil was once again a very exceptional waiter. Had the shrimp cocktail which has all the flavor, but none of the burning sensation that the neighboring restaurant seems to believe is acceptable. The beef medallions and mero sea bass were tender and succulent. The lobster bisque was full of flavor. The coffee and key lime pie where an excellent closing for the evening.Special Features:
- Turner's a downtown gemOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/5/2013Turner's is one of my favorite places to go for dinner for a special occasion and I frequently do business lunches there: it is quiet, superb professional waitstaff and the quality of their food is always top notch. Because I've been there so many times, they recognize me right away. Since parking in downtown Indy is a major nuisance and distraction (coming from someone who grew up in Chicago with subways and good public transportation) the Canterbury's valet service is excellent and costs nothing more than a well-deserved good tip for the courteous doormen. Bottom line: Turner's is my place to go when I want to 'escape' from restaurants with families with loud children--sorry, but it's the truth and 'the truth will set you free.'Special Features:
- Give your review a title (optional)OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/27/2013I was in town for a convention and staying at the Canterbury for the first time. I took a party of 9 customers and business associates to Turners for dinner. The service we received from Phil was amazing and my guests were talking about his expertise in de-boning fish tableside for 2 days afterwards. All in my group are well traveled and experienced diners. We all agreed that meal we had at Turners along with service and ambiance equaled one of our best dining experiences EVER. I HIGHLY recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Shockingly Good!PickyEaterVIPDined on 2/18/2013I'm at Turner's at least once each week - sometimes more. I've only had lunch there, but the dinner menu looks interesting, too. You'll like the service (especially if you sit in the bar and Lori is there). The food is fresh and well-prepared; the service is great; and the room is warm with its wood panelled walls. The prices are much more reasonable than you might expect -- actually less than many lunch places downtown. I hesitate to leave a review because I'm not sure I want people knowing about my secret gem, but I want them to succeed. So, go! (Just leave me a spot at the bar.)Special Features:
- We lived the atmosphere inOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/17/2013We lived the atmosphere in ths historic hotel. Our food and service was excellent.Special Features:
- Excellance all aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/16/2013My wife and I enjoyed a belated Valentine's Day dinner at Turner's. Everything was wonderful! My surf n turf (lobster and fillet) was excellent, as was my wife's chicken entree. The buttered rolls were fabulous! A great bottle of wine went perfect with the meal. Live piano music drifted in from the hotel lobby to add to our enjoyable evening. Our table was a little drafty, but not anything to prevent us from having a fantastic evening. We would return to Turner's, without question.Special Features:
- The atmosphere at Turner'sMadFoodieDined on 2/16/2013The atmosphere at Turner's was the best part of the experience. The hostess was very akward and lacked the grace and polish that one would expect to find in a host at a restaurant of this caliber. One example---we had to find our own coats as we were departing while she stood at her desk observing us without concern. The food was good but served lukewarm. Service was slow even though the room was only half full. Our server volunteered several excuses that seemed odd and were things we didn't need to know. I would say that management needs to work on the quality and polish of the service.Special Features:
- Had a wonderful Valentine'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013Had a wonderful Valentine's Day dinner in the warm glow of Turner's at the Canterbury. The food was very good, fantastic 'special' bottle of wine and great service.Special Features:
- They treat you like you are2downtownersDined on 2/12/2013They treat you like you are the only customer and their full attention is on you. They give you time to relax, they do not hurry you, yet they are so attentive. The food is fabulous! I had the dover sole and my husband had the 8 ounce filet. Just superb! Nothing but the finest for their guests.Special Features:
- I would highly recommend Turner's.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/12/2013I would highly recommend Turner's. The only downside was that it took forever for our plates to be cleared and our server to check on us. I really wanted dessert, not that I need it, but wanted to try it. After waiting well over 30 minutes to have our plates cleared, I wasn't about to add another course to the meal. On the positive side, they certainly don't rush you out of the restaurant!Special Features:
- IncredibleSuzanneVIPDined on 2/9/2013Super incredible service! You are living the good life when you are there. Sophisticated and classy. Kudos to everyone.Special Features:
- Turner's is a wonderfullyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/9/2013Turner's is a wonderfully tucked away restaurant and lounge with great ambiance and even better food. I had the mesquite rubbed salmon and ate every last bite. My guests tried the pistachio-encrusted tuna, and enjoyed their meals just as much as I did. The wood-paneled restaurant is intimate and cozy. It wasn't too loud, but it had a wonderful energy. I would suggest sitting up by the windows for a post-dinner drink or coffee and watching the world walk by from the front windows. A great experience all around- I'll be back!Special Features:
- Great food and wonderful atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/2/2013Great food and wonderful atmosphere to sit back and relax.Special Features:
- Turner's was a nice experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/1/2013Turner's was a nice experience and we would go back for dinner. Everyone in our party for four enjoyed their food.Special Features:
- Another fine night of diningChefkenVIPDined on 1/30/2013Another fine night of dining during Devour Downtown. Although the crowded conditions during the promotional event slowed the service a bit, the quality remained high. Nice options for the three course meal. The noise level was low enough that conversation was easy. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- What a wonderful place toOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/27/2013What a wonderful place to go for dinner. Have been there many times ad always perfert.Special Features:
- We had a great experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/26/2013We had a great experience. Erik was a great server!Special Features:
- We dined here by way of theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/26/2013We dined here by way of the devour downtown promotion. We got so much more that we ever imagined. The experience started with Valet Parking on a very busy Pennsylvania street. Brandon took car of us and our car in a most professional way. The setting was lovely and welcoming; we sat in the front parlor. The staff treated us like royalty. Our waiter Eric seemed to have been new to his position, but did a wonderful job. We enjoyed a great bottle of Merlot with our meal and the portions and presentation was just perfect. With dessert I enjoy a cup of coffee via a french press. The coffee was wonderful and ended our evening on the perfect note. We are making plans to return. I am also looking into bringing my Mother for tea.Special Features:
- Downtown was very crowdedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/26/2013Downtown was very crowded and valet parking was impossible. Our table was behind the host stand and was very cold whenever someone came in the front door. The food was excellent although the service seemed very slow. We have been to Turner's before and will go again although this wasn't the best experience.
- Great food. The pretzel rollsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/26/2013Great food. The pretzel rolls (I'm not sure of the actual name but that's what it reminded me of and it was what came with the meal) were fabulous. I also had the ribeye which just melted in your mouth.Special Features:
- Excellent service, excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/25/2013Excellent service, excellent food....great dining experience!Special Features:
- Rolls are not the waiters thing.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/25/2013This was our second trip to this resturant - the first was for lunch at Christmas. Our first experience was great, the second trip for dinner not so. As our waited came to take order, he seemed a little less than friendly. This was the first clue to an evening of poor service. Appetizers came out wrong, soup cold, coffee luke warm, and the waiter stated we must have waited too long to eat the soup. We asked for more rolls and got "thats not my thing" from one of the waiters - but saw him later with rolls. To be fair, we did have about 4 different waiters, maybe they were mixed up. In the end, the food was pretty good if you look past the service issue. Cant recommend during busy times based on this experience, pick a quiet day.