817 Sutter Street
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sfcanteen.com/
- Phone: 4159288870
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 10:00 pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Dennis Leary
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Chef's Table, Cigar Room, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Smoking Area (patio only), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Watch the art school students asleep on the couch.
Get high from secondary pot smoke as it comes in from the street.
- Special Events: We serve a PRIX-FIXE MENU every Tuesday evening. We also serve several PRIX-FIXE dinners on other evenings - please check the website for details.
A word from Canteen
HELLO: WE ARE CURRENTLY RUNNING OUR "100 MENUS" PROJECT EVERY WED, THURS, AND FRIDAY. THE MENU WILL BE BASED ON CLASSICAL FRENCH DISHES. TWO SEATINGS ONLY - AT 6PM AND 8PM. VEGETARIANS WILL BE ACCOMMODATED. TUESDAYS AND SATURDAYS ARE STILL PRIX-FIXE. PLEASE CHECK THE WEBSITE FOR SAMPLE MENUS. THANKS - DLContinued
Please note, parties of 3 or less may be seated at our dining counter. If for any reason you need a table, please call us ahead of time for availability.
Please note, parties of 3 or less may be seated at our dining counter. If for any reason you need a table, please call us ahead of time for availability.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Canteen reviews from OpenTable diners
- Say it ain't soChilesVIPDined on 9/27/2013Rumor has it Canteen will be closing. Hopefully chef owner Dennis Leary will surprise us with a new venture. So appreciated all the wonderful meals that we have had at Canteen..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- get it while it lastsmissabcDined on 8/20/2013Apparently they are closing down at the end of August, too bad I didn't find them earlier. Creative dishes with interesting ingredients (and so delicious!). The bread was incredible, and the waitress slipped us an extra after she'd served everyone else. Just the right amount of food (we took one dessert to go). The menu was prix fixe, and I was a little disappointed that there was only one choice (usually I'd expect 2 or 3 options for each course). It would have been nice if my boyfriend and I could have picked different dishes so we could sample more.Special Features:
- It is such a shame that suchMikeVIPDined on 8/16/2013It is such a shame that such a great restaurant is closing. This restaurant has never disappointed.Special Features:
- last days of a great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/13/2013Have been to Canteen many, many times, since it opened several years ago. Dennis Leary is a great chef. Menu changes are refreshingly creative always, with the freshest ingredients. So sad it is closing with the last meal to be served on August 23, 2013. We will follow Dennis to his new restaurant, and will continue to savor the wonderful luncheons at Sentinel and Golden West, not to mention having a nice drink at his bar next to Sentinel and across from the Palace Hotel. Memorable meals always at Canteen, despite the humble ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sorry that this was probablylive4foodVIPDined on 8/10/2013Sorry that this was probably our last meal at Canteen after all the wonderful years of eating Dennis Leary's wonderful food. Everything was great as usual and Ashley (our waitperson) as gracious as ever. Much luck to Dennis and his crew.Special Features:
- Every dish had a very freshChipsVIPDined on 8/7/2013Every dish had a very fresh taste as if the ingredients had just been brought in from the garden. Too bad that they're closing at the end of this summer. Note: parking can be a challenge in this neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So sad to see you go!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/6/2013I have been to Canteen several times now and each dining experience is just as good as the last if not better. The house made brioce are to die for and a must try. Extra servings definitely recommended! The portions are just right and presentation are always note worthy. The service is friendly and efficient. They only have 1 server working the room each seating but manages to never fail to fill your water or neglect table service. Canteen is definitely in my top 3 favorite restaurant in the City.Special Features:
- Last ChanceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/3/2013They're closing daily operating on Aug 23. So hurry for you last chance at a top shelf meal in a personal, intimate yet non pretentious place. This restaurant has been my favorite in SF for 7 years!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite!HNL4niteDined on 7/25/2013Wow! It was a memorable meal at the counter watching the chefs working their magic. What fresh clean tastes! And the rolls and desserts fresh from the oven were sublime. It doesn't get better than this. Love the casual atmosphere with top notch cuisine. Canteen will be missed when it closes in August.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diner feel, 5 star foodMmmthatwasgoodDined on 7/17/2013This was second time at Canteen. I love the casual atmosphere. It makes you concentrate even more on the great food. Had bass the first time and steak this time. The bass was amazing. The steak was very good. The soups and salads have been extraordinary. Who knew cold corn soup fanf*ckingtastic?,. I'm sorry to hear its closing. I'll miss it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/13/2013Canteen does not disappoint. We had no idea what was going to be served but it didn't matter. Every single bite of food was spectacular. Canteen is a must if you are San Fran.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food overallHungryVIPDined on 7/10/2013Very good food overall, especially the first two courses. Somewhat underwhelming desserts, but overall an excellent meal. Lovely to see the chef and sous-chef hard at work finishing every single dish. Would go back in a heartbeat - too bad they are closing soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable.StacyBDined on 7/9/2013We live just around the corner from Canteen, and finally got an opportunity to try it. We had the prix fixe menu (we had intended to go for the 100 menus french project currently underway, but didn't realize that is only on certain days of the week). The meal was delicious and simple -- green tomato & basil soup w/ fruity olive oil, Chilean Sea Bass over roasted corn and artichokes, and cherry coulis w/ creme fraiche. Service was exceptional, and the ambience cozy and interesting. We will try to go back for the other menu before it's too late. Very disappointed to hear that Canteen will be closing soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Canteen Still Rocks!JonRDined on 7/7/2013Dennis Leary continues to work magic with every meal I have at Canteen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love CanteenAredubVIPDined on 7/6/2013Tiny spot with fantastic food put out by a minimal staff. Unfortunately, it's closing soon.Special Features:
- Amazing find! The menu wasOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/28/2013Amazing find! The menu was creative, the food delicious and the service friendly and attentive. A tiny place, so you need reservations. We will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/14/2013Loved this place! The elusive 3 stars food + $$. Although current limited-offer prix fixe menu doesn't reflect $$ (more like $$$), food was fabulous and we were very pleased. Much care & attention to detail obviously put into the food. Service was friendly & fine, but inconsistent btwn our two servers. We would definitely come back, and have already recommended it to friends.The only complaint, and it's a smallish one, was the raucous music at dinnertime the night we were there. Not awful, but not pleasant either. Unfortunate! Our musical tastes truly run the gamut (from Mozart to Foo Fighters) but this was still pretty off-putting. Other than that (and we may have just picked a bad music night) it really was wonderful. I say Don't miss it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The most amazing corn soupOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/8/2013The most amazing corn soup was part of a four course tasting menu. Exquisite food, wonderful service. A lovely evening. If I lived I'm San Francisco I would be a repeat customer.Special Features:
- Canteen—unpretentious & wonderfulHereAndNowDined on 6/6/2013In a world of forced showiness and flash, it's a pleasure to come to a modest room and indulge in a well-prepared range of courses and the ease of a prix fixe dinner. Each item was intensely flavorful yet somehow subtle and understated. The recommended white burgundy-style wine was a brilliant pairing. And the hot fresh rolls were cloud-like, melting in the mouth. The fact that the chef is engaged in a project called 100 Menus, based on a 1971 French cookbook by Robert Courtine, means eating there marks a moment in time. Week 28 was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very creative and fresh. greatminnieVIPDined on 5/30/2013very creative and fresh. great before theater - They easily get oyu in and out in 1 1/2 hours without feeling rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wouldn't recommendSharonDined on 5/30/2013As a foodie, I chose Canteen because it was described as farm to table, relaxed. It was billed as a la carte or price fixe. My conclusion:The servers were unaware of the a la carte advertisement and were disinterested in the menu, actually answering a question about the ingredients of a dish with "didn't you read the menu?" The food was very under seasoned and substantially lacked the highlighted ingredient. For example, my Smoked Trout salad had only 4 small pieces of trout. The crab soup was so thin and tasteless, lacking any crab, that we could not even eat it. Although there were four courses, all were equally disappointing. Our taste buds were assaulted as well as our wallet with a $190 bill with wine. I would not recommend Canteen.
- CuteFooodieVIPDined on 5/25/2013Cute setup nice service pleasant food. love the ever changing menu and the fab wines!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 100 menus project is wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/24/2013This is my second visit during this project. It is a pre-fixe with entree and dessert choices. 2 seating per night. Friendly warm service and delicious seasonal menu. I will be back from my home in L.A.Special Features:
- Great choice for our anniversaryMaryCDined on 5/21/2013We were in town to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and Canteen was a perfect choice. It was in the neighborhood in which we are staying, it is quiet and has great food. We loved the format of being served the chief's choice of the day. It left more time for us to talk and no fuss about choices and preparations. In fact, it was almost a reverential experience...food served in near silence. Loved the entire evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great great food going courseOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2013Great great food going course to course! Fantastic, inovative cooking with texture, color, aroma of each dish intoxicating.Special Features:
- Canteen is Good!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/9/2013Canteen has a terrific limited menu that changes each night, and very good wine choices. Seating is limited and the setting is a bit like an upscale diner - the service is very personal. It's a great place with an individual personality that brings you back and back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Affordable Casual Fine DiningJonnyLikesVIPDined on 4/26/2013Had a fabulous 4-course dinner for $52! Again! Couldn't be happier with the food or service. The menu options are limited but everything was delicious and everyone went away satisfied. Well-priced wine list--I do wish they'd add a few higher-end bottles, though, because the food deserves it.Special Features:
- Really enjoyed this smallOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 4/25/2013Really enjoyed this small restaurant. Limited menu, but everything very good.Special Features:
- Delicious food, as always!OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 4/25/2013Delicious food, as always! All 4 of us agreed that the 1st course (trumpet mushroom salad with walnuts) and 2nd course (crab soup) were spectacular -- these were the only choices on the prix fixe menu, thank goodness, otherwise we might have missed them. The 2 choices for main course (cod or lamb) were also fabulous, as were the 2 dessert choices (chocolate mousse with chicory tulle or old fashioned strawberry shortcake). This tiny "diner" restaurant in the Union Square area continues to serve up amazing food.Special Features:
- Quaint and cozy, the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/24/2013Quaint and cozy, the food was tasty and the atmosphere inviting.Special Features:
- Still A WinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/24/2013I had not eaten at Canteen in years and it remains a terrific destination. Yes it is funky with the four booths and eight seats at the bar and only two seatings. But get over it and just sit on down and enjoy a truly fabulous meal. The food is amazingly good--beautifully prepared, very fresh and 100% delicious. The service is relaxed and fun--clearly the people who work there love it. It ranks up there with any other of the highly-touted restaurants in the city. As a bonus it is in a funky little space next to the art school and you get to tour the dorm when you go to the loo. Go for the food--you will not be disappointed. And the prix fixe price (around $50)is quite reasonable for the quality and volume of food you get.Special Features:
- Canteen was excellent. WenonameVIPDined on 4/18/2013Canteen was excellent. We both had the same thing but enjoyed every bit of it. The trout salad, cod soup, bass and strawberry shortcake. The dessert was the best strawberry shortcake either has ever eaten. The cod soup was a bit unusual and unexpected but delicious. The bass was wonderful and the trout amazing. Canteen never disappoints which nice to be able to depend on that.Special Features:
- We loved our dinner at Canteen!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/17/2013We loved our dinner at Canteen! The food was absolutely delicious. The service was attentive but not overbearing, and the meal was paced perfectly. Every dish was comprised of incredibly fresh ingredients with flavors that melded perfectly together. We aren't typically big dessert enthusiasts, but we ate every bite of our meal from the first course all the way through to the outstanding strawberry shortcake.Special Features:
- Small in more ways than oneOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/17/2013I love small, unique spots in unexpected locations which is true of Canteen. Also on the plus side, the food is refined in almost every respect. Well, perhaps the rolls were a bit pedestrian. But speaking of rolls, they exemplify one of Canteen's main shortcomings: too small portions. Don't get me wrong. I'm not expecting some oversized hunk of expensive fish for my entree. (The bass I had was quite adequate and ever so tasty.) But I hungered - literally - for more when it came to everything else. The other major failing was service. Not that it wasn't attentive or prompt. Quite the contrary. We were practically rushed through our dinner and then abruptly given the check in a manner that said "there's the door!" Overall value = small.
- Loved the prix fixe menu.svanhookVIPDined on 4/12/2013Loved the prix fixe menu. Really had a great time and felt so cozy in there. Excellent wine.Special Features:
- The two sitting prix-fix menuOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/23/2013The two sitting prix-fix menu offering is an experience on is own. The dishes were amazing, each better than the one before. The main course of pork and lentils, richly spiced and mellow, cooked to perfection with well balanced flavors. And the dessert of pear and hazelnut tart with chocolate mousse a worthy ending to an incredible diner. This place is a must for foodies.Special Features:
- Overall, excellent. Wish theOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/20/2013Overall, excellent. Wish the menu had a few more choices.Special Features:
- This is now my favorite restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/20/2013This is now my favorite restaurant in SF, hands down.Special Features:
- I want to keep this treasureOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/20/2013I want to keep this treasure available at all times, for myself, but that is about selfishness. Everyone will love this restaurant, despite smallness, with many of us at bar stool seating. We had great view of ongoing operation and total access to staff!Special Features:
- You Can't Miss at CanteenJonnyLikesVIPDined on 3/14/2013Canteen is a "can't miss" restaurant. They always serve up a delicious meal, the staff is charming and ambiance is casual and fun.Special Features: