Canteen - Edmonton
10522 124 St
Edmonton, AB T5N 1R9Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Canteen - Edmonton
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.canteenyeg.ca/
- Phone: (780) 485-6125
- Hours of Operation:
Open All Day Tuesday - Friday 11:30 - 10:00
Open All Day Saturday & Sunday 10:00- 10:00 - Brunch until 2:00 (Brunch Starts January 5th, 2013)
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Frank Olson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Canteen - Edmonton
A new restaurant on 124th street from those that brought you the Red Ox Inn.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Canteen - Edmonton - Best Restaurants in Edmonton ›
Canteen - Edmonton reviews from OpenTable diners
138 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (97)neighborhood gem (72)special occasion (59)great for brunch (34)hot spot (33)great for lunch (31)romantic (28)notable wine list (19)good for groups (14)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Remains an outstanding restaurantskeeter23VIPDined on 9/17/2014Once again a very nice meal with attentive staff. Only concern is the noise level can be high so a large group may have problems talkingSpecial Features:
- Fresh and creativeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Worth a re-visit. Was there at Xmas and loved it, and am glad they are open for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Canteen is a gemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014The menu has some fabulous items- I wanted to try everything! The staff were attentive and professional and the food was scrumptious. Great lunch break!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still goodReviewManVIPDined on 9/14/2014I started with the Cod and then I had the beef which was as tender as could be and spicy. I finished it off with the poppy seed dessert with rhubarb and strawberries. There seems to be more Belgian beer available which is welcome.Special Features:
- PickyDined on 9/14/2014Limited menu Too noisy Very large and uncomfortable table for 6. ( unable to talk). Had made a reservation, but the size and configuration of table would be for group 13
- Too loud to bear!8isenoughDined on 9/13/2014The noise level hit me right in the head when we entered. People were actually yelling at their tables to be heard above the noise. Not exactly what I had in mind when my husband and I celebrated our 20th Wedding Anniversary. Tables are very close together and I couldn't even hear my husband speak. However, the food was very good. Recommend taking some Advil ahead of time. :)Special Features:
- wow the food was excellent!Aud2bmeDined on 9/12/2014Great place to go when your tired of ordinary. The beef cheeks were extraordinary! !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than the menutomiboiDined on 9/9/2014The menu was intriguing but belied the superb blending of tastes and visual presentation of the main lunch dishes. Mushroom soup was perfect for an early winter day and a request for accompanying bread delivered perfect garlic toast. Both the chicken dish and pastrami were excellent with accompanying vegetables temptingly displayed and enhancing the contrast with the meat items.As a pastrami lover,this is one of my gourmandish gold standards and Canteen's own version was in the platinum level. So the rhubarb in the desert was not of the sweetness served up by my mother, but was a fine finish to lunch. All at reasonable pricesSpecial Features:
- just visitingTradeshowDinerVIPDined on 9/7/2014The room is great, the bar looks great, the servers area great. The food was good. i was really excited about the chickpea fries and the regular parm fries. Both were delish!!! Two of the four mains came with a BBQ sauce of some kind which we were totally not expecting! Though everything was great I wish they would focus on the food rather than slathering everything in so much sauce. Definitely worth a visit to Canteen just ask for no sauce on the steak and lamb if you're not a sauce fan like us!Special Features:
- Excellent service & knowledgemoderncomfortDined on 9/7/2014Food has always been superb at Canteen. Great ingredients make great dishes which this restaurant consistently provides. The service team is prompt, knowledgable about their wine list and food menu.Special Features:
- Great foodjpgrannyDined on 9/2/2014Had a special birthday dinner with a friend on a recent Tuesday night. Her first time, my second visit. The service was very good, the food excellent and the staff allowed us to just sit and enjoy the wine and dessert without feeling rushed. Will certainly go back!!Special Features:
- lovely long weekend Sunday dinnerspoiledfoodieDined on 8/31/2014As always, Edmonton can be a struggle to find something great on a long weekend Sunday but was delighted to find Canteen open to bring an international friend to. Service was a bit dismal at first. We had a reservation while two other tables (walk ins) seated after us got menus taken to them before us followed with a 15 minute wait for our wine order to be taken while the other 2 tables both had drinks delivered and orders taken. Grateful we were not in a rush. Food was solid although a little too heavy on the salt on the entrees. Would return again and still recommend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date Night!fooderfoodieDined on 8/30/2014It's not always just the person sitting across from you that makes or breaks a date night....sometimes it's the restaurant! Canteen (and my date!) made for a great date night! We were late for our 8:00 reservation. We called ahead to let them know and they were gracious about it. We had our choice of table upon arrival and our server (who doubled as the bartender) was out of this world. She knew the menu like the back of her hand and asked thoughtful questions to make appropriate recommendations. As a result we had the bacon wrapped dates, the smoked trout, the Halibut, the Duck (wow!) and a lovely bottle of white wine. Great spot to visit if you're in YEG.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!MG83Dined on 8/29/2014I was really impressed. The food was familiar but had high-end twists. Really delicious, fresh and gourmet! Definitely will be back to try everything on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SosoDined on 8/28/2014Had a great meal with excellent service. Definately would go back.Special Features:
- Nice for something differentFantasticDined on 8/27/2014Lots of unique things on the menue, twists on your favorites. Portions were smaller but rich with flavour. Great service, lemon desert was yummmmy!Special Features:
- Feeling cool about this hot spotwestiegirlDined on 8/24/2014I treated my friends to brunch at Canteen on a recent Sunday. This is a highly recommended hot spot in town so I was excited to go. The decor is cool and the service was very good - efficient and friendly. I noticed the noise level right away. It seemed high for just a small restaurant with people having conversations. The offerings on the brunch menu were creative but I found it a little hard to choose a healthier option - most choices had sausage or sauce or cheese or deep fried items. My meal was tasty but a little greasy and every so slightly on the small side for the price. We had a nice time together but I would not likely choose Canteen as my first choice for brunch next time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014The first time we went to Canteen, I was very impressed. I even bought 2 gift cards for friends. This time, my meal (lamb chops) was very cool. It is really important to serve a meal on heated plates especially when the restaurant is heavily air conditioned. The green,yellow cauliflower was charred and dry. The meal was not worth $32.00. When asked "how was the meal?" I said it was OK. The manager replied "OK, that's not what we are aiming for" but did not take the time to question further and did nothing. We actually left and went elsewhere for dessert and coffee!!
- Wonderful 124st restaurant12footdavisDined on 8/22/2014Excellent service, beautiful decor, great drinks...but really amazing food! Lots of care from someone who is obviously passionate about great food. Really good prices and easy parking. When I move back to Edmonton, this will be my neighborhood, and Canteen will be my regular haunt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner at CanteenSandSDined on 8/22/2014This was our first time at Canteen and we came away thoroughly impressed. Everything we ordered was absolutely delicious. Nothing about our applies, main course or dessert was anything but fantastic. One of the best meals we have enjoyed at any restaurant. As a side note, the corn fritters on the "small stuff" portion of the menu where probably the best I have ever had. I could have eaten my weight in these. I almost wanted to forgo dinner and just order 5 or 6 more plates of these. So delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great findGeezerDined on 8/22/2014Our daughter from Austin, Texas was visiting us and joined a university-era girlfriend and her husband for dinner. They took her to Canteen. She came home extremely impressed with the restaurant, the service, and the food. So, we decided to try it. Our daughter's enthusiasm was not misplaced. Our server was very friendly and was there when we wanted her but discretely elsewhere when we obviously didn't need anything. All of the staff were helpful and friendly. The food and the wine were excellent. Canteen is upper mid-range in price, but well worth the expenditure. We will definitely go there again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/20/2014service and food were really good. The restaurant could use a bit mor decor to increase the ambiance though. Given the price point, one would expect a bit more romantic ambiance.Special Features:
- WillreturnDined on 8/17/2014I have eaten here a few times -- typically for special occasions, but not always. This weekend, I tried their main course preparation of scallops; it may be the best main course I've eaten here, but I have never been disappointed. I appreciate that this restaurant is open on Sundays. Also, the emphasis here seems to be on ingredients and preparation rather than quantity -- they are not over-feeding you to distract you from a dearth of quality.Special Features:
- Simply amazingRHF1Dined on 8/16/2014The servers are knowledgable, friendly, and efficient, and the owner/hostess is most helpful. As for the food, it is always consistent--consistently amazing! The appetizer octopus cooked in a sous vide was tender and absolutely delicious. The hanger steak was wonderful! The chef at Canteen is truly an artist!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceDonnamDined on 8/10/2014Loved loved loved the food and service...attractive place but too noisySpecial Features:
- Overpriced but great serviceFoodie81Dined on 8/9/2014We had excellent service throughout the night. It gets noisy quickly so not the best ambiance for a quiet romantic evening. Our appies were great (stuffed dates and pork belly) but entrees were disappointing. My scallops were fishy and my husband's pork tenderloin, although cooked well, lacked flavour.
- Great evening.happydinerDined on 8/2/2014Went for a meal at Canteen, having been there for lunch once before. I was interested to see how the dinner menu would compare. The food was amazing! Had beef tartare to start which was so delicious, a perfect blend of flavours. Followed it with scallops which were fabulous. The noise level was high and took a few moments to get used to but that reflects the atmosphere, a fun place to be. Great service from super-friendly staff.Special Features:
- Best Brunch in EdmontonLaurieSDined on 8/2/2014Canteen never fails to impress! Love the brunch menu and specials. Service is great and friendly.Special Features:
- CraveEdmstageVIPDined on 8/1/2014I crave Canteen's food! Everything is always the best and the service is the best in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go backBlissfulinBanffDined on 8/1/2014The service was fantastic. I loved the flavour of the olive oil on their salad and asked where it came from so the chef sent out a little container for me to take home. The food was exceptional. The list of wines by the glass could use some creativity and a few more selections. I don't live in Edmonton but will definitely make it there the next time I am in town.Special Features:
- DeliciousStacy0330Dined on 7/25/2014The food was great! Wine was delightful. It was a little noisy and busy, expected on a Friday night. Overall, a wonderful experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sample sized portions of tasty foodeetsiDined on 7/25/2014Good food, VERY small portions. Don't come here if you are very hungry! Get an appetizer, entree and desert or you will leave feeling like you haven't eaten! The service is average. The restuarant looks new and nice/modern. Decorative and tasty dishes.Special Features:
- Canteen 3ArnieSaatDined on 7/25/2014Went with my Mom , was awesome food was very good and the service was amazing.Special Features:
- It's all about the food.lydsandgazzerDined on 7/25/2014Had a wonderful meal here again! Wish the room would be a little gentler on the ears, but this is a small complaint. Our server was personable and attentive. We had an amazing steak tartare and, as usual, the fish selection is always delicious and beautifully presented. As for the wine, we've had some very good bottles here without breaking the bank and the list is a good one for pairing with the menu selections.Special Features:
- Yummy appies!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/22/2014The appetizers were great! I would stick with those and forget the main. The mains were underwhelming considering the hype the restaurant has for being fantastic. The stuffed dates, pork belly, and smoked tuna were excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place.SanchezDined on 7/20/2014There for Sunday Brunch with three others. I had the special, a frittata. It was okay even though underseasoned. Two ordered the French Toast and it looked decent. The fourth member of the party had the Huevos Canteenos and said that they were very good.
- Brunch is a no go for usSBRossDined on 7/20/2014We have had dinner at Canteen before and thoroughly enjoyed it. We had visitors from London, UK over and thought we'd take them there for brunch. The biscuits weren't cooked, the eggs were so runny they had clear whites and it was just a real disappointment after the great dinner we'd had their before.
- Lovely Evening!cmyegDined on 7/19/2014We had an absolutely lovely meal at Canteen. They have an excellent cocktail menu, wonderful appetizers and superb mains. I filled up on far too much food to try their desserts, but I can imagine those are quite delicious too. I've now been to Canteen for both brunch and dinner, and have had a delicious meal both times. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Fantastic Time at CanteenNerakDined on 7/18/2014Our group of six had a wonderful time at Canteen - the food, service and atmosphere were fantastic! A couple of our friends were vegans, so one of our friends called ahead to ask what vegan dishes could be prepared? The Chef at Canteen made four special meals for them which were, again, fantastic. He also personally served the vegan dishes explaining what they were and how he prepared them. We really appreciated him going above and beyond for our group. Also, our server provided the best service we have received in a very long time. We all highly recommend Canteen as that go-to place for excellent food and a great time! With their very creative Chef, Canteen might want to consider putting those vegan items on the menu, they are must haves!Special Features:
- Repeat successKiwibirdDined on 7/16/2014Enjoy the comfort of an innovative and well presented meal with friendly smiling service and an excellent wine. Love the window tables for the down town people spotting. We've introduced two different couples to this restaurant and they both remember the name months later. We would return for the date steamed pudding alone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.