Canteen - Edmonton
10522 124 St
Edmonton, AB T5N 1R9Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Canteen - Edmonton
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.canteenyeg.ca/
- Phone: (780) 485-6125
- Hours of Operation:
Open All Day Tuesday - Friday 11:30 - 10:00
Open All Day Saturday & Sunday 10:00- 10:00 - Brunch until 2:00 (Brunch Starts January 5th, 2013)
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Frank Olson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Canteen - Edmonton
A new restaurant on 124th street from those that brought you the Red Ox Inn.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Canteen - Edmonton - Best Restaurants in Edmonton ›
Canteen - Edmonton reviews from OpenTable diners
138 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (109)neighborhood gem (78)special occasion (54)hot spot (38)great for brunch (32)great for lunch (29)romantic (29)good for groups (20)notable wine list (20)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- CanteenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The menu online looked fabulous! I went with some friends for was was supposed to be a late lunch before an event and was a little dissappointed that the lunch menu wasn't available. We ended up picking items from the Afternoon list which is a few 'appetizer' like items. They were good, but kind of wish I could of chosen from a bit more. I'd go back for more.Special Features:
- exppected a wider lunch menuanonDined on 10/18/2014we went on a Sarurday at noon and appeared to be a bruch menu not a lunch menuSpecial Features:
- unimpressiveveneeDined on 10/17/2014I recieved a gift certificate for Canteen from a friend. We went there with no expectations and I wasn't really impressed. The atmosphere was dark and cold. Ambience is ok for dinner but I don't know if I would go there for lunch. The service was very basic, and the food was unimpressive. I'm glad we had the gift certificate and didn't pay full price. Especially in comparison to other places in the city, this isn't great, and I probably won't be back.Special Features:
- Hip49Dined on 10/16/2014Food and service good but noise level too high to carry on proper visit with companionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- joelmcDined on 10/11/2014My friends & I had three of the small plates: chick pea fries, corn fritters with smoky maple syrup & fennel sausage stuffed dates wrapped with bacon. All were scrumptious. Ordered hanger steak for the main; had it a few times (most recently in London) and always enjoyed it. Canteen's version is spice rubbed, and the steak and vegetables are presented on a bed of tomato jam. Sounds yummy, but to us it had the effect of making everything taste the same. We thought we could have been eating any type of protein because the spices masked the marvelous beef flavor. Similarly, vegetables were practically unidentifiable because they are tasted like the tomato jam. Wait staff was wonderful and we'd return, maybe just for apps.Special Features:
- Canteen was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014We would highly recommend Canteen. The food was fabulous and we were impressed by the service. We would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch spotLulu123VIPDined on 10/11/2014Canteen is my husband and my favorite brunch spot in the city. I finally convinced my husband to try the pastrami hash dish and he agreed that it was delicious. The service is always impeccable and the brunch choices unique and delicious.Special Features:
- Great again!CathymacVIPDined on 10/9/2014Good addition of the ceiling baffles made it less noisy.....we will be back.Special Features:
- First timerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/3/2014I had wanted to try out this restaurant ever since dining at the Red Ox Inn (which I love). I was not disappointed! I love the food! I will certainly be back. We were there for lunch. It got busy very quickly however our server was still very attentive and helpful with the food selections. My friend had the Halibut and I had the buttermilk chicken. Both were delicious.Special Features:
- Great place to eat brunch!BellammmmDined on 9/28/2014Brunch items were unique and very delicious! Waiter and service however could have been better and it wasn't even busy! Can't wait to try the fritters!Special Features:
- Great FoodFoodFiendDined on 9/27/2014A smaller dining establishment so the tables were rather close together, making it less intimate and noisier but the outstanding food made up for it. My husband's appetizer of Fennel Sausage Stuffed Dates was excellent; I had the Crispy Pork Belly which was very good but the dates were definitely the better of the two. My main of Seared Duck Breast was crispy on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside and the Beluga lentils were delicious! My husband enjoyed his perfectly prepared scallops as well. We both found the Rhubarb, Strawberries, Crispy Meringue, Hibiscus Syrup, Poppyseed Cake a nice, light, interesting dessert. Service was friendly and for the most part, attentive. A good selection of reasonably priced wines as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!PrivatedinerDined on 9/26/2014The lamb and halibut were delicious and had twists that I haven't tried before so score one for Canteen for originality. Chocolate ganache was the best dessert we have had in a long time out. Everything was great but slightly slow... But good wine so we didn't mind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great placejcg1959Dined on 9/26/2014Excellent service. Food is great. Only minor criticism: its still a bit loud.Special Features:
- Fresh and TastyhappydinerVIPDined on 9/26/2014Great service. Excellent recommendations. Food was well prepared and presented in an appealing manner. Loved the Halibut and the chicken is always good! Informal setting with top quality food. Look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EdmontonDinerDined on 9/21/2014I had been here for a group supper before and the food was good, which made me want to try their brunch. We weren't disappointed. The menu options were very unique (not your typical omlettes and pancakes) but the two dishes we ordered were very good (poached eggs and biscuits in gravy and the breakfast sandwhich that was on special). The service was also good and the restaurant is clean and nicely set up. The only down side was the cappuccino wasn't very good.Special Features:
- Remains an outstanding restaurantskeeter23VIPDined on 9/17/2014Once again a very nice meal with attentive staff. Only concern is the noise level can be high so a large group may have problems talkingSpecial Features:
- Fresh and creativeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Worth a re-visit. Was there at Xmas and loved it, and am glad they are open for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Canteen is a gemfoxyljDined on 9/16/2014The menu has some fabulous items- I wanted to try everything! The staff were attentive and professional and the food was scrumptious. Great lunch break!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still goodReviewManVIPDined on 9/14/2014I started with the Cod and then I had the beef which was as tender as could be and spicy. I finished it off with the poppy seed dessert with rhubarb and strawberries. There seems to be more Belgian beer available which is welcome.Special Features:
- PickyDined on 9/14/2014Limited menu Too noisy Very large and uncomfortable table for 6. ( unable to talk). Had made a reservation, but the size and configuration of table would be for group 13
- Great Service; Small, Charming MenuMrsMDined on 9/14/2014A group of us went for brunch. Our server was terrific - attentive, helpful, and really enthusiastic about the restaurant. Several of us had the poached eggs on biscuit with Irving farms sausage and sausage gravy. This was an inventive and unusual take on a standard menu item - the gravy was more of a sauce and not the stodgy, heavy thing it can be. The eggs came very soft poached (had I known I likely would have requested more medium). The biscuit and the hash browns were delicious as was the sausage. Fabulous americanos. I look forward to trying the dinner menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loud to bear!8isenoughDined on 9/13/2014The noise level hit me right in the head when we entered. People were actually yelling at their tables to be heard above the noise. Not exactly what I had in mind when my husband and I celebrated our 20th Wedding Anniversary. Tables are very close together and I couldn't even hear my husband speak. However, the food was very good. Recommend taking some Advil ahead of time. :)Special Features:
- wow the food was excellent!Aud2bmeDined on 9/12/2014Great place to go when your tired of ordinary. The beef cheeks were extraordinary! !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than the menutomiboiDined on 9/9/2014The menu was intriguing but belied the superb blending of tastes and visual presentation of the main lunch dishes. Mushroom soup was perfect for an early winter day and a request for accompanying bread delivered perfect garlic toast. Both the chicken dish and pastrami were excellent with accompanying vegetables temptingly displayed and enhancing the contrast with the meat items.As a pastrami lover,this is one of my gourmandish gold standards and Canteen's own version was in the platinum level. So the rhubarb in the desert was not of the sweetness served up by my mother, but was a fine finish to lunch. All at reasonable pricesSpecial Features:
- just visitingTradeshowDinerVIPDined on 9/7/2014The room is great, the bar looks great, the servers area great. The food was good. i was really excited about the chickpea fries and the regular parm fries. Both were delish!!! Two of the four mains came with a BBQ sauce of some kind which we were totally not expecting! Though everything was great I wish they would focus on the food rather than slathering everything in so much sauce. Definitely worth a visit to Canteen just ask for no sauce on the steak and lamb if you're not a sauce fan like us!Special Features:
- Excellent service & knowledgemoderncomfortDined on 9/7/2014Food has always been superb at Canteen. Great ingredients make great dishes which this restaurant consistently provides. The service team is prompt, knowledgable about their wine list and food menu.Special Features:
- Great foodjpgrannyDined on 9/2/2014Had a special birthday dinner with a friend on a recent Tuesday night. Her first time, my second visit. The service was very good, the food excellent and the staff allowed us to just sit and enjoy the wine and dessert without feeling rushed. Will certainly go back!!Special Features:
- lovely long weekend Sunday dinnerspoiledfoodieDined on 8/31/2014As always, Edmonton can be a struggle to find something great on a long weekend Sunday but was delighted to find Canteen open to bring an international friend to. Service was a bit dismal at first. We had a reservation while two other tables (walk ins) seated after us got menus taken to them before us followed with a 15 minute wait for our wine order to be taken while the other 2 tables both had drinks delivered and orders taken. Grateful we were not in a rush. Food was solid although a little too heavy on the salt on the entrees. Would return again and still recommend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date Night!fooderfoodieDined on 8/30/2014It's not always just the person sitting across from you that makes or breaks a date night....sometimes it's the restaurant! Canteen (and my date!) made for a great date night! We were late for our 8:00 reservation. We called ahead to let them know and they were gracious about it. We had our choice of table upon arrival and our server (who doubled as the bartender) was out of this world. She knew the menu like the back of her hand and asked thoughtful questions to make appropriate recommendations. As a result we had the bacon wrapped dates, the smoked trout, the Halibut, the Duck (wow!) and a lovely bottle of white wine. Great spot to visit if you're in YEG.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!MG83VIPDined on 8/29/2014I was really impressed. The food was familiar but had high-end twists. Really delicious, fresh and gourmet! Definitely will be back to try everything on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SosoDined on 8/28/2014Had a great meal with excellent service. Definately would go back.Special Features:
- Nice for something differentFantasticDined on 8/27/2014Lots of unique things on the menue, twists on your favorites. Portions were smaller but rich with flavour. Great service, lemon desert was yummmmy!Special Features:
- Feeling cool about this hot spotwestiegirlDined on 8/24/2014I treated my friends to brunch at Canteen on a recent Sunday. This is a highly recommended hot spot in town so I was excited to go. The decor is cool and the service was very good - efficient and friendly. I noticed the noise level right away. It seemed high for just a small restaurant with people having conversations. The offerings on the brunch menu were creative but I found it a little hard to choose a healthier option - most choices had sausage or sauce or cheese or deep fried items. My meal was tasty but a little greasy and every so slightly on the small side for the price. We had a nice time together but I would not likely choose Canteen as my first choice for brunch next time.Special Features:
- BellaDined on 8/23/2014The first time we went to Canteen, I was very impressed. I even bought 2 gift cards for friends. This time, my meal (lamb chops) was very cool. It is really important to serve a meal on heated plates especially when the restaurant is heavily air conditioned. The green,yellow cauliflower was charred and dry. The meal was not worth $32.00. When asked "how was the meal?" I said it was OK. The manager replied "OK, that's not what we are aiming for" but did not take the time to question further and did nothing. We actually left and went elsewhere for dessert and coffee!!
- Wonderful 124st restaurant12footdavisDined on 8/22/2014Excellent service, beautiful decor, great drinks...but really amazing food! Lots of care from someone who is obviously passionate about great food. Really good prices and easy parking. When I move back to Edmonton, this will be my neighborhood, and Canteen will be my regular haunt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner at CanteenSandSDined on 8/22/2014This was our first time at Canteen and we came away thoroughly impressed. Everything we ordered was absolutely delicious. Nothing about our applies, main course or dessert was anything but fantastic. One of the best meals we have enjoyed at any restaurant. As a side note, the corn fritters on the "small stuff" portion of the menu where probably the best I have ever had. I could have eaten my weight in these. I almost wanted to forgo dinner and just order 5 or 6 more plates of these. So delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great findGeezerDined on 8/22/2014Our daughter from Austin, Texas was visiting us and joined a university-era girlfriend and her husband for dinner. They took her to Canteen. She came home extremely impressed with the restaurant, the service, and the food. So, we decided to try it. Our daughter's enthusiasm was not misplaced. Our server was very friendly and was there when we wanted her but discretely elsewhere when we obviously didn't need anything. All of the staff were helpful and friendly. The food and the wine were excellent. Canteen is upper mid-range in price, but well worth the expenditure. We will definitely go there again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/20/2014service and food were really good. The restaurant could use a bit mor decor to increase the ambiance though. Given the price point, one would expect a bit more romantic ambiance.Special Features:
- WillreturnDined on 8/17/2014I have eaten here a few times -- typically for special occasions, but not always. This weekend, I tried their main course preparation of scallops; it may be the best main course I've eaten here, but I have never been disappointed. I appreciate that this restaurant is open on Sundays. Also, the emphasis here seems to be on ingredients and preparation rather than quantity -- they are not over-feeding you to distract you from a dearth of quality.Special Features:
- Simply amazingRHF1Dined on 8/16/2014The servers are knowledgable, friendly, and efficient, and the owner/hostess is most helpful. As for the food, it is always consistent--consistently amazing! The appetizer octopus cooked in a sous vide was tender and absolutely delicious. The hanger steak was wonderful! The chef at Canteen is truly an artist!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.