Canteen - Edmonton
10522 124 St
Edmonton, AB T5N 1R9Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Canteen - Edmonton
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.canteenyeg.ca/
- Phone: (780) 485-6125
- Hours of Operation:
Open All Day Tuesday - Friday 11:30 - 10:00
Open All Day Saturday & Sunday 10:00- 10:00 - Brunch until 2:00 (Brunch Starts January 5th, 2013)
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Frank Olson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Canteen - Edmonton
A new restaurant on 124th street from those that brought you the Red Ox Inn.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Canteen - Edmonton - Best Restaurants in Edmonton ›
Canteen - Edmonton reviews from OpenTable diners
136 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (90)neighborhood gem (64)special occasion (58)great for brunch (37)great for lunch (29)romantic (28)hot spot (26)good for groups (16)notable wine list (14)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014Had a great meal with excellent service. Definately would go back.Special Features:
- Nice for something differentFantasticDined on 8/27/2014Lots of unique things on the menue, twists on your favorites. Portions were smaller but rich with flavour. Great service, lemon desert was yummmmy!Special Features:
- Feeling cool about this hot spotwestiegirlDined on 8/24/2014I treated my friends to brunch at Canteen on a recent Sunday. This is a highly recommended hot spot in town so I was excited to go. The decor is cool and the service was very good - efficient and friendly. I noticed the noise level right away. It seemed high for just a small restaurant with people having conversations. The offerings on the brunch menu were creative but I found it a little hard to choose a healthier option - most choices had sausage or sauce or cheese or deep fried items. My meal was tasty but a little greasy and every so slightly on the small side for the price. We had a nice time together but I would not likely choose Canteen as my first choice for brunch next time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014The first time we went to Canteen, I was very impressed. I even bought 2 gift cards for friends. This time, my meal (lamb chops) was very cool. It is really important to serve a meal on heated plates especially when the restaurant is heavily air conditioned. The green,yellow cauliflower was charred and dry. The meal was not worth $32.00. When asked "how was the meal?" I said it was OK. The manager replied "OK, that's not what we are aiming for" but did not take the time to question further and did nothing. We actually left and went elsewhere for dessert and coffee!!
- Wonderful 124st restaurant12footdavisDined on 8/22/2014Excellent service, beautiful decor, great drinks...but really amazing food! Lots of care from someone who is obviously passionate about great food. Really good prices and easy parking. When I move back to Edmonton, this will be my neighborhood, and Canteen will be my regular haunt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner at CanteenSandSDined on 8/22/2014This was our first time at Canteen and we came away thoroughly impressed. Everything we ordered was absolutely delicious. Nothing about our applies, main course or dessert was anything but fantastic. One of the best meals we have enjoyed at any restaurant. As a side note, the corn fritters on the "small stuff" portion of the menu where probably the best I have ever had. I could have eaten my weight in these. I almost wanted to forgo dinner and just order 5 or 6 more plates of these. So delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great findGeezerDined on 8/22/2014Our daughter from Austin, Texas was visiting us and joined a university-era girlfriend and her husband for dinner. They took her to Canteen. She came home extremely impressed with the restaurant, the service, and the food. So, we decided to try it. Our daughter's enthusiasm was not misplaced. Our server was very friendly and was there when we wanted her but discretely elsewhere when we obviously didn't need anything. All of the staff were helpful and friendly. The food and the wine were excellent. Canteen is upper mid-range in price, but well worth the expenditure. We will definitely go there again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/20/2014service and food were really good. The restaurant could use a bit mor decor to increase the ambiance though. Given the price point, one would expect a bit more romantic ambiance.Special Features:
- WillreturnDined on 8/17/2014I have eaten here a few times -- typically for special occasions, but not always. This weekend, I tried their main course preparation of scallops; it may be the best main course I've eaten here, but I have never been disappointed. I appreciate that this restaurant is open on Sundays. Also, the emphasis here seems to be on ingredients and preparation rather than quantity -- they are not over-feeding you to distract you from a dearth of quality.Special Features:
- Simply amazingRHF1Dined on 8/16/2014The servers are knowledgable, friendly, and efficient, and the owner/hostess is most helpful. As for the food, it is always consistent--consistently amazing! The appetizer octopus cooked in a sous vide was tender and absolutely delicious. The hanger steak was wonderful! The chef at Canteen is truly an artist!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceDonnamDined on 8/10/2014Loved loved loved the food and service...attractive place but too noisySpecial Features:
- Overpriced but great serviceFoodie81Dined on 8/9/2014We had excellent service throughout the night. It gets noisy quickly so not the best ambiance for a quiet romantic evening. Our appies were great (stuffed dates and pork belly) but entrees were disappointing. My scallops were fishy and my husband's pork tenderloin, although cooked well, lacked flavour.
- Great evening.happydinerDined on 8/2/2014Went for a meal at Canteen, having been there for lunch once before. I was interested to see how the dinner menu would compare. The food was amazing! Had beef tartare to start which was so delicious, a perfect blend of flavours. Followed it with scallops which were fabulous. The noise level was high and took a few moments to get used to but that reflects the atmosphere, a fun place to be. Great service from super-friendly staff.Special Features:
- Best Brunch in EdmontonLaurieSDined on 8/2/2014Canteen never fails to impress! Love the brunch menu and specials. Service is great and friendly.Special Features:
- CraveEdmstageVIPDined on 8/1/2014I crave Canteen's food! Everything is always the best and the service is the best in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go backBlissfulinBanffDined on 8/1/2014The service was fantastic. I loved the flavour of the olive oil on their salad and asked where it came from so the chef sent out a little container for me to take home. The food was exceptional. The list of wines by the glass could use some creativity and a few more selections. I don't live in Edmonton but will definitely make it there the next time I am in town.Special Features:
- DeliciousStacy0330Dined on 7/25/2014The food was great! Wine was delightful. It was a little noisy and busy, expected on a Friday night. Overall, a wonderful experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sample sized portions of tasty foodeetsiDined on 7/25/2014Good food, VERY small portions. Don't come here if you are very hungry! Get an appetizer, entree and desert or you will leave feeling like you haven't eaten! The service is average. The restuarant looks new and nice/modern. Decorative and tasty dishes.Special Features:
- Canteen 3OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/25/2014Went with my Mom , was awesome food was very good and the service was amazing.Special Features:
- It's all about the food.lydsandgazzerDined on 7/25/2014Had a wonderful meal here again! Wish the room would be a little gentler on the ears, but this is a small complaint. Our server was personable and attentive. We had an amazing steak tartare and, as usual, the fish selection is always delicious and beautifully presented. As for the wine, we've had some very good bottles here without breaking the bank and the list is a good one for pairing with the menu selections.Special Features:
- Yummy appies!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/22/2014The appetizers were great! I would stick with those and forget the main. The mains were underwhelming considering the hype the restaurant has for being fantastic. The stuffed dates, pork belly, and smoked tuna were excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place.SanchezDined on 7/20/2014There for Sunday Brunch with three others. I had the special, a frittata. It was okay even though underseasoned. Two ordered the French Toast and it looked decent. The fourth member of the party had the Huevos Canteenos and said that they were very good.
- Brunch is a no go for usSBRossDined on 7/20/2014We have had dinner at Canteen before and thoroughly enjoyed it. We had visitors from London, UK over and thought we'd take them there for brunch. The biscuits weren't cooked, the eggs were so runny they had clear whites and it was just a real disappointment after the great dinner we'd had their before.
- Lovely Evening!cmyegDined on 7/19/2014We had an absolutely lovely meal at Canteen. They have an excellent cocktail menu, wonderful appetizers and superb mains. I filled up on far too much food to try their desserts, but I can imagine those are quite delicious too. I've now been to Canteen for both brunch and dinner, and have had a delicious meal both times. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Fantastic Time at CanteenNerakDined on 7/18/2014Our group of six had a wonderful time at Canteen - the food, service and atmosphere were fantastic! A couple of our friends were vegans, so one of our friends called ahead to ask what vegan dishes could be prepared? The Chef at Canteen made four special meals for them which were, again, fantastic. He also personally served the vegan dishes explaining what they were and how he prepared them. We really appreciated him going above and beyond for our group. Also, our server provided the best service we have received in a very long time. We all highly recommend Canteen as that go-to place for excellent food and a great time! With their very creative Chef, Canteen might want to consider putting those vegan items on the menu, they are must haves!Special Features:
- Repeat successKiwibirdDined on 7/16/2014Enjoy the comfort of an innovative and well presented meal with friendly smiling service and an excellent wine. Love the window tables for the down town people spotting. We've introduced two different couples to this restaurant and they both remember the name months later. We would return for the date steamed pudding alone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodJDubDined on 7/13/2014First time there. Had the brunch special. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/11/2014We arrived for a 5 pm reservation and were greeted by an enthusiastic and knowledgable waiter who was very informed of the menu and beverage options, but regrettably did not yet know what the appetizer/small plate offering s would be for the evening. We ordered our starters and meals, all of which were spectacular and when we were ready to order desert, about 6:30 we overheard the appetizer specials for the evening. The decision made by me was fried oysters for desert, a new first for our waiter. Enjoyed the meal and will book for a later arrival next time we eat here, so the specials are nailed for us and our waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014Excellent restaurant. One of the best meals we have had in a long time. Attentive service. Excellent affordable wine list.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014I had a great time and food was delicious, it was a bit loud but I'm not sure how to improve that. Service was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent food and awesome stafffoodieDined on 7/2/2014I love Canteen. The food is good not always outstanding but consistently good and service is always amazing. Attentative, friendly and knowledgeable staff. Since the renovations the noise is not as overwhelming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get there now!KellyumDined on 6/29/2014The food here is inventive and absolutely delicious. I'm still thinking about the dish I had. Will be back again and again and again.Special Features:
- Something different for brunchtheporkgirlVIPDined on 6/29/2014Canteen serves up a delicious brunch menu with a unique take on classic breakfast items. There are always several gluten-free options for me to choose from, and their in-house gluten free cornbread biscuits are so good I could be happy eating a plate of them for breakfast. I am always happy to meet friends for brunch at this neighbourhood gem.Special Features:
- CanteenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014Pleasant minimalist decor, friendly staff, food was tasty, tiny portionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice night outparentsnightoutDined on 6/28/2014My husband and I don't get out very often and Canteen offered a nice night of dining out for the two of us. He had the special, ivory salmon, which neither of us were crazy about but my short ribs were really good and so were the appetizers and wine. We sat close to the front of the restaurant and found it really hard to hear not only each other but the waitress as well. Maybe the back is quieter?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great StartersNotmeDined on 6/28/2014Canteen is always a go to upscale restaurant for my girlfriend and me, and we were seated promptly at the table we always seem to get. The appetizers were amazing. Corn fritters with a great smoked maple dip, and cauliflower spread with crustini (sp). We weren't as fond of our mains, a pork dish, and a salmon piece cooked sous vide. There was great attention to detail in plating, but the taste just wasn't there. The pork was good, but the sides were over the top with the truffle oil. Earthy is one thing, but this had a rotted earthy taste. The salmon tasted unseasoned. Salmon can quite often stand by itself, but this was so mild, that there was very little, if any flavour. After dinner coffees were outstanding. Will eat here again.Special Features:
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/27/2014Although the lunch menu was limited, the food we ordered was fantastic! Their house fries are so good!Special Features:
- DisappointngsomwhereelsenexttimeDined on 6/25/2014For three out of the five in our party, the overall rating above was (from their reactions) "Very good". For two of us, "good" is generous. My own food was "very good" (not "excellent"): one of the "small stuffs" too bland, the other two excellent. My wife's food was definitely "poor": the pork loin was so overcooked it was almost inedible, the corn bread stuffing cold. She hardly ever complains but did tell the server when the plate was taken away: we expected some (small) gesture in return -- a free dessert, perhaps -- but received nothing. We shared a dessert: sticky date pudding -- the least interesting of many we have had in many restaurants. The ambience: too cramped. The noise level: appalling -- we could not hear ourselves speak.
- Delicious unique foodHoodieDined on 6/22/2014Food was delicious; portions not large. Choices for brunch were wonderfully unique. Not too many. Service was good but the cappucinos arrived luke warm- they replaced them. Nice 124 St location.Special Features:
- Well Done!!ContinentalCatastropheDined on 6/21/2014This is the second time i've been to Canteen with the first time almost a year ago to date. The place is loud and tables are relatively close to each other. They changed the menu because the last time i've been there, they had bone marrow. Both me and my friends really enjoyed the food and the service provided and the price was reasonable. Would definitely go back to see what wonders the kitchen will offer on my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.