Canteen - Edmonton
10522 124 St
Edmonton, AB T5N 1R9Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Canteen - Edmonton
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.canteenyeg.ca/
- Phone: (780) 485-6125
- Hours of Operation:
Open All Day Tuesday - Friday 11:30 - 10:00
Open All Day Saturday & Sunday 10:00- 10:00 - Brunch until 2:00 (Brunch Starts January 5th, 2013)
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Frank Olson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Canteen - Edmonton
A new restaurant on 124th street from those that brought you the Red Ox Inn.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Canteen - Edmonton - Best Restaurants in Edmonton ›
Canteen - Edmonton reviews from OpenTable diners
150 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (120)neighborhood gem (85)special occasion (59)hot spot (44)great for brunch (36)romantic (32)notable wine list (27)great for lunch (27)good for groups (25)late-night find (10)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Dessert Was AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/21/2014The food was very good, cooked just right and the presentation was very pleasing. Service was impeccable! My only complaint is the noise level was a bit high and the lighting was too dim, I shouldn't need the flashlight on my phone to read the menu plus I like to see what i am eating. All in all a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 66 th Anniversary - Found A Gem"GeminapatchofflowersDined on 11/9/2014We were looking for the perfect spot for our parents 66th Wedding Anniversary, and had enjoyed many meals at the Red Ox Inn over the years. We wanted something a little quieter, and they really enjoy trying out a variation of foods. We were asssigned a table near the back, it was very comfortable, and it was perfect for all of us to visit and enjoy our evening. We ordered two of the appetizer plates, with six of us, and it was so well presented, and delicious. All,of,our main courses were very nicely done, proportions were just perfect, and the meals were delicious. Dad saidhe had never had such tasty pork. We shared two desserts, and they were both wonderful, and rounded off the evening well. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something MissingMichaelDined on 11/9/2014I have been in for brunch a few times and it is outstanding, dinner however seemed to be lacking. I had the duck on the servers recommendation and while it had many ingredients not a single one stood out as being memorable. My dates salmon was perfectly seared and cooked but the accompanying veggies where lacking in flavour. Service and cocktails where great. Worth it for brunch, skip dinner.Special Features:
- Delicious!HappydinerDined on 11/8/2014Some friends and I went for brunch and it was delicious! There aren't a lot of items on their brunch menu but each dish is unique, creative and most importantly, tasty!! I had their sweet potato has, which was very flavourful. I also had a bite of their porridge, chicken and waffle specidal as well as their poached egg....all were fantastic! I would recommend making reservations as it is a popular restaurant. Looking forward to going back!Special Features:
- Great RestaurantDaleDined on 11/7/2014Absolutely fantastic restaurant. This was my third time there and the waitress, Chelsea, remembered myself and my girlfriend from previous visits. It is really great service when a server can remember you. The service is top notch and so is the food.Special Features:
- nice placechefjeffDined on 11/7/2014Went there for the first time and enjoyed it. Similar to 3 boars or the glass monkey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/2/2014My husband and I came here for dinner and were truly treated to a wonderful night out. Service was quick and friendly. Food was outstanding. The scallops were seared to perfection and my husband's hanger streak was grilled to a perfect medium rare. If you are ever just in the mood for a late night latte and dessert, definitely come in and try the chocolate ganach. Lots of thought and care goes into the preparation of the food at Canteen and is evident in the finished product that comes out of the kitchen. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place for a Dateshelb1Dined on 11/2/2014A small, nicely decorated restaurant that serves up a fine selection of uniquely blended flavors. Can be a bit tight if full which is fine unless you are out on a romantic dinner eve. Looking forward to trying the brunch. For fine dining at a reasonable price, this is a score.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smallest scallops ever!DinealotDined on 10/31/2014Went on a Friday night and ordered their seared scallops. Those got to be the smallest scallops i have ever had, maybe the size of a Twoonie and thin. I wondered if they split it half lengthwise. I ordered frequently in restaurants and the ones I had were much thicker that this. On the plate there were maybe 20 Orrechiete pasta, some potatoes and greens. The temperature can be hotter. For a $29 plate I expected my 5 scallops to be full size and a little more pasta. I am not a big eater but i find myself hungry after a very expensive dinner. I will not be back!
- A delicious relaxed night outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014My husband and I decided we would at least once per year choose a restaurant we had never been to before and truly try and experience all it has to offer. This year we picked Canteen and what a treat. Our food was delicious, the service was prompt, friendly and so informative. The atmosphere was very relaxed and unique. We will for sure be back!Special Features:
- Hidden gem...Dolly10Dined on 10/26/2014Wow.. it is so nice to walk into a restaurant after booking it on Open Table as a special event, and have someone greet you and ask you what you are celebrating? The staff was amazing. Prompt and plugged in, the menu options were interesting, somewhat unpredictable and delicious. I loved the entire experience and will return as soon as I am able to. Thanks Canteen!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place for Casual Night Outrjp2014Dined on 10/25/2014Great place to go when you are going out with friends but not for more formal events since crowd can be loud at times and conversations can be difficult. Menu has some gems but salad choices are so so. Service was excellent, though.Special Features:
- Excellent dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014My wife and I celebrated our anniversary this past Friday and it was very pleasurable. When booking online I requested a quiet table, and we were seated at a table in the corner by a window, which was very nice. We will definitely return to The Canteen. Thank you.Special Features:
- Date NightMidknightDined on 10/24/2014We didn't have to think twice on where we wanted to go for our end of the week date night. Everything was excellent and the service was exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/24/2014Table for a larger group (6) was in a nice, semi-private setting. The service was punctual and accommodating. The service staff appeared to be knowledgeable of the product, however, seemed a tad nervous in her explanations. While her facts were correct, charisma was lacking. Food was excellent as always. The corn fritters are a favorite of mine, they did not disappoint this time! I really enjoyed their take on beef tartar. Halibut lacked some seasoning and probably could have used a touch less heat. The beans were a tad beyond aldente, but the dish as a whole was quite delicious. The hanger steak was amazing. One slight flaw seemed to be an accidental garnish of cilantro.....it was strange.Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/24/2014Canteen is one of our favourites! The food is always fantastic with great flavour and the service is always well timed and extremely welcoming.Special Features:
- Cozy spotTastebudsMatter2muchDined on 10/22/2014I loved the atmosphere. Quiet and romantic. And while the service was really good, I was not keen on the menu items. Might consider going back for drinks and dessert but probably not dinner.Special Features:
- CanteenFoodieInTrainingDined on 10/18/2014The menu online looked fabulous! I went with some friends for was was supposed to be a late lunch before an event and was a little dissappointed that the lunch menu wasn't available. We ended up picking items from the Afternoon list which is a few 'appetizer' like items. They were good, but kind of wish I could of chosen from a bit more. I'd go back for more.Special Features:
- exppected a wider lunch menuanonDined on 10/18/2014we went on a Sarurday at noon and appeared to be a bruch menu not a lunch menuSpecial Features:
- unimpressiveveneeDined on 10/17/2014I recieved a gift certificate for Canteen from a friend. We went there with no expectations and I wasn't really impressed. The atmosphere was dark and cold. Ambience is ok for dinner but I don't know if I would go there for lunch. The service was very basic, and the food was unimpressive. I'm glad we had the gift certificate and didn't pay full price. Especially in comparison to other places in the city, this isn't great, and I probably won't be back.Special Features:
- Hip49Dined on 10/16/2014Food and service good but noise level too high to carry on proper visit with companionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- joelmcDined on 10/11/2014My friends & I had three of the small plates: chick pea fries, corn fritters with smoky maple syrup & fennel sausage stuffed dates wrapped with bacon. All were scrumptious. Ordered hanger steak for the main; had it a few times (most recently in London) and always enjoyed it. Canteen's version is spice rubbed, and the steak and vegetables are presented on a bed of tomato jam. Sounds yummy, but to us it had the effect of making everything taste the same. We thought we could have been eating any type of protein because the spices masked the marvelous beef flavor. Similarly, vegetables were practically unidentifiable because they are tasted like the tomato jam. Wait staff was wonderful and we'd return, maybe just for apps.Special Features:
- Canteen was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014We would highly recommend Canteen. The food was fabulous and we were impressed by the service. We would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch spotLulu123VIPDined on 10/11/2014Canteen is my husband and my favorite brunch spot in the city. I finally convinced my husband to try the pastrami hash dish and he agreed that it was delicious. The service is always impeccable and the brunch choices unique and delicious.Special Features:
- Great again!CathymacVIPDined on 10/9/2014Good addition of the ceiling baffles made it less noisy.....we will be back.Special Features:
- First timerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/3/2014I had wanted to try out this restaurant ever since dining at the Red Ox Inn (which I love). I was not disappointed! I love the food! I will certainly be back. We were there for lunch. It got busy very quickly however our server was still very attentive and helpful with the food selections. My friend had the Halibut and I had the buttermilk chicken. Both were delicious.Special Features:
- Great place to eat brunch!BellammmmDined on 9/28/2014Brunch items were unique and very delicious! Waiter and service however could have been better and it wasn't even busy! Can't wait to try the fritters!Special Features:
- Great FoodFoodFiendDined on 9/27/2014A smaller dining establishment so the tables were rather close together, making it less intimate and noisier but the outstanding food made up for it. My husband's appetizer of Fennel Sausage Stuffed Dates was excellent; I had the Crispy Pork Belly which was very good but the dates were definitely the better of the two. My main of Seared Duck Breast was crispy on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside and the Beluga lentils were delicious! My husband enjoyed his perfectly prepared scallops as well. We both found the Rhubarb, Strawberries, Crispy Meringue, Hibiscus Syrup, Poppyseed Cake a nice, light, interesting dessert. Service was friendly and for the most part, attentive. A good selection of reasonably priced wines as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!PrivatedinerDined on 9/26/2014The lamb and halibut were delicious and had twists that I haven't tried before so score one for Canteen for originality. Chocolate ganache was the best dessert we have had in a long time out. Everything was great but slightly slow... But good wine so we didn't mind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great placejcg1959Dined on 9/26/2014Excellent service. Food is great. Only minor criticism: its still a bit loud.Special Features:
- Fresh and TastyhappydinerVIPDined on 9/26/2014Great service. Excellent recommendations. Food was well prepared and presented in an appealing manner. Loved the Halibut and the chicken is always good! Informal setting with top quality food. Look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EdmontonDinerDined on 9/21/2014I had been here for a group supper before and the food was good, which made me want to try their brunch. We weren't disappointed. The menu options were very unique (not your typical omlettes and pancakes) but the two dishes we ordered were very good (poached eggs and biscuits in gravy and the breakfast sandwhich that was on special). The service was also good and the restaurant is clean and nicely set up. The only down side was the cappuccino wasn't very good.Special Features:
- Remains an outstanding restaurantskeeter23VIPDined on 9/17/2014Once again a very nice meal with attentive staff. Only concern is the noise level can be high so a large group may have problems talkingSpecial Features:
- Fresh and creativeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Worth a re-visit. Was there at Xmas and loved it, and am glad they are open for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Canteen is a gemfoxyljDined on 9/16/2014The menu has some fabulous items- I wanted to try everything! The staff were attentive and professional and the food was scrumptious. Great lunch break!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still goodReviewManVIPDined on 9/14/2014I started with the Cod and then I had the beef which was as tender as could be and spicy. I finished it off with the poppy seed dessert with rhubarb and strawberries. There seems to be more Belgian beer available which is welcome.Special Features:
- PickyDined on 9/14/2014Limited menu Too noisy Very large and uncomfortable table for 6. ( unable to talk). Had made a reservation, but the size and configuration of table would be for group 13
- Great Service; Small, Charming MenuMrsMDined on 9/14/2014A group of us went for brunch. Our server was terrific - attentive, helpful, and really enthusiastic about the restaurant. Several of us had the poached eggs on biscuit with Irving farms sausage and sausage gravy. This was an inventive and unusual take on a standard menu item - the gravy was more of a sauce and not the stodgy, heavy thing it can be. The eggs came very soft poached (had I known I likely would have requested more medium). The biscuit and the hash browns were delicious as was the sausage. Fabulous americanos. I look forward to trying the dinner menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loud to bear!8isenoughDined on 9/13/2014The noise level hit me right in the head when we entered. People were actually yelling at their tables to be heard above the noise. Not exactly what I had in mind when my husband and I celebrated our 20th Wedding Anniversary. Tables are very close together and I couldn't even hear my husband speak. However, the food was very good. Recommend taking some Advil ahead of time. :)Special Features:
- wow the food was excellent!Aud2bmeDined on 9/12/2014Great place to go when your tired of ordinary. The beef cheeks were extraordinary! !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.