Canoe Restaurant and Tavern
232 Whittier Hwy.
Center Harbor, NH 03226Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Canoe Restaurant and Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.eatatcanoe.com/
- Phone: (603) 253-4762
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Scott Ouellette
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View
A word from Canoe Restaurant and Tavern
Hello, and welcome to Canoe. We invite you to come, sit back and relax in our quaint, rustic style restaurant. Located at Lake Winnipesaukee in Center Harbor, New Hampshire, Canoe's atmosphere and the surrounding picturesque landscapes capture the essence of the Lakes Region. Come enjoy a meal with us, and we're sure you'll make Canoe a regular dining stop. Executive chef and owner Scott Ouellette and his talented, creative team of culinary artists will beckon your taste buds, with Canoe's exquisitely prepared cuisine. Canoe's friendly, cheerful wait staff will see to your every culinary and beverage need.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Canoe Restaurant and Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
7 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (6)good for groups (4)scenic view (2)neighborhood gem (2)special occasion (2)great for brunch (1)romantic (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- FavoritesbeaDined on 9/27/2014Canoe is a favorite local restaurant. Consistent quality. Great menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a great findluv2dineDined on 8/15/2014We've been visiting the lakes region for over a decade and haven't ventured into center harbor. So glad we did! Our party of 4 all thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Hits were the sweet and sour calamari, lobster Mac and cheese, home made cheesecake and the olive oil w foccacia bread. Service was great. Do yourself a favor and make a reservation. This place fills up fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!EllDeeDined on 8/3/2014Yummy food and ambiance - beautiful spot by the water. Treat yourself!!Special Features:
- The following 54 reviews are from the Canoe Restaurant and Tavern reviews archive.
- Special Not So SpecialDonMDined on 7/18/2014I have dined at Canoe many times and the food is usually really good and there is always allot to choose from. The special on Friday was a steak with mushrooms. I was let down by the size and quality of the meat but will continue to patronize the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere!jensilvDined on 7/13/2014We had lunch with a good size group for my mother in laws 80th birthday. The service was great, the food very yummy and the atmosphere was really nice and inviting. Great selection of food and everything was delicious. I had the Ahi tuna and calamari which were mouth watering! They have a great service for people who come by boat. They will pick you up at the docks. Had a wonderful lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeLakesregioneateDined on 6/30/2014All 6 members of our party loved our meal. Best Rest in the lakes region area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed on Mother's DaytsquaredDined on 5/11/2014My family and I dined at the Canoe Restaurant for Mother's Day. The food was very disappointing. I had dined multiple times at this restaurant for lunch and dinner and had always had an outstanding meal which is why our meal on Mother's Day was so disappointing. We may go back again when in the area, but certainly not for a holiday or special occasion. The food was not well prepared or tasty.Special Features:
- dinner with friendsChunsDined on 4/3/2014The atmosphere was relaxing with views of the lake. Excellent service. Food very good but from one of our groups, she mentioned that in comparison to previous visits, lighter on the quantity of fish to rice.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was just okay. However,LDoll13VIPDined on 1/25/2014The food was just okay. However, the steak tips were inedible. We were a party of 7 and 3 people ordered them. They could not eat them, they were too salty, over marinated and an odd texture. We told the waitress and she offered nothing to compensate us. We would never go back or recommend it.
- AWESOMECharmingVIPDined on 1/4/2014Not my first time at the Canoe. Every time is a great experience. Food is always delicious. A must eat at!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanksgiving at CanoetookieDined on 11/28/2013We gathered at Canoe this year for Thanksgiving and had a great meal. A couple of us do not eat meat, so we were very happy with the selections. Others got a traditional Turkey dinner and enjoyed it immensely. We frequent Canoe when we are in Center Harbor and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NOT kid friendlyEthansgrandmaDined on 10/19/2013We have dined at Canoe many times and loved it. This was not the case on Saturday. We had made reservations in advance and let them know we would be dining with a toddler. They stuck is in a back corner and then forgot about us. The food was good but the service was horrible.Special Features:
- Good FoodBaronessaVIPDined on 9/23/2013Have an Ultimate Cosmo! Drinks are generous. Food was good. I had steak tips and others had seafood casserole and veal parmigiana. All food was good except the red sauce on the veal dishes. It was acidy and lacked flavor (but then again we are Italian and usual never order red sauce..doesn't anyone know how to really make it. Desserts were very good, Crème brulee was outstanding and fried dough, yep like at carnivals, was good but almost a meal in itself. Service seemed a little slow especially since it was a Monday night and not busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarSlainteDined on 8/16/2013Great bartender! Emily certainly took care of our group of 7 with a smile, conversation and delicious drinks!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ExcellentMsavage444Dined on 8/3/2013Large portions and great wait staff. Our last visit was perfect and even brought out Birthday dessert for our daughter, unsolicited!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/12/2013Great food and service First time for us will definitely go again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in the east!RoyleeDined on 6/27/2013We live in Idaho and make a couple of trips to New Hampshire a year. No trip is complete without a trip to Canoe at least once. Service is excellent and the food never disappoints. We would and do recommend Canoe to anyone and everyone that will listen! Big big thumbs up!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Canoe Great Food with a ViewOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/8/2013Great restaurant with fresh food prepared with flair; service is excellent, view of the lake is great, ambiance of NH at its best. We return again and again. Great for groups and families.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need a kid section?OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/25/2012We had my grand kids with me and we felt like we were bothering the other diners and staff. It felt like a restaurant that is on the edge of kid friendly and not kid friendly. Over had a great time.Special Features:
- The food and service at thensdinerDined on 8/23/2012The food and service at the Canoe is consistently very good. The staff is friendly and very accommodating.Special Features:
- We make an annual pilgrimageOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2012We make an annual pilgrimage to this Moultonborough gem during our stay at the lake. Great food, helpful and friendly service staff and very welcoming to families. Try it and enjoy!Special Features:
- Great food, but their freezerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/10/2012Great food, but their freezer wasnt working propoerly and they tried to give us half melted ice cream and sorbet. The other desserts werent very good either.
- We were extremely pleasedJaybirdVIPDined on 8/5/2012We were extremely pleased with our entire evening!!Special Features:
- Been to Canoe many times,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/4/2012Been to Canoe many times, always great food and good service. This time, we were seated on the porch area on a scorchingly hot evening with no air conditioning. When we asked to be moved we were told by our server that we couldn't. She had a terrible attitude and we actually got up to leave. The hostess came to us and then was able to find us a table inside. The manager came later and apologized but it still left a sour taste for us.
- Always a great meal. We'veOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/24/2012Always a great meal. We've been regular customers since 2005 and are never disappointed.Special Features:
- Less than pleasedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/21/2012I was disappointed with this place. Mostly that they lump all families with kids in one room..which makes for a very loud and unpleasant experience. If you wonder why they want to know if you have kids under 11 in your party..that is why! Ironically, one of the parties in the room had only one child..and 6 adults! The adults were so loud, we had to ask them to try and be a bit more quiet!! And their server was too loud as well. The place was extremely busy and the staff was eh. The servers seem to have a weird way of placing meals on the table; they tended to reach across one diner to get a plate to another diner across the table. It made for a very awkward set up. I doubt we'll be back..but I am curious how the adult-only dining room isSpecial Features:
- We were seated at a remoteOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/14/2012We were seated at a remote table in the front of the restaurant with a view of Route 25. When I asked to be moved to a table in the main restaurant nearer to Lake Winnipesaukee views I was told the only tables in the restaurant for my group of 8 were in the small room with the road ambiance. Not exactly what i had in mind for the 3 couples that were visiting my husband and I for the weekend. Luckily the food was delicious and our ability to have a great time overcame the lack of "lake" feeling. Too bad 2 tables for 4 people each could not have been pushed together to make room for our party of 8 people but it was not able to be done. The server couldn't reach the diners with food and drinks so we constantly had to keep passing things down
- A Tavern With Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/18/2012If you are looking for a tavern experience, this is your new spot. As a restaurant, the atmosphere is decidedly more bar than bistro. The food was great, the menu diverse. It was a bot empty at 7pm on a Monday night, but that was more a sign of the times and indicator of the early summer season than a reflection on the food. For an empty place, service was a bit uneven.Special Features:
- Great restaurant! Went thereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/13/2012Great restaurant! Went there for Mother's Day this year and last year.Special Features:
- Try the apps...we had theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/12/2012Try the apps...we had the Canoe Chips and the BBQ Pork Flatbread, both are fantastic! We have never had a bad meal at the Canoe. A little pricey but if everyone at the table can't talk because the food is so delicious and the plates are all empty it is worth it. Oh and don't forget dessert....Canoe dough....heavenly!Special Features:
- The restaurant was on theJessVIPDined on 5/12/2012The restaurant was on the water and provded beautiful views. The food was good. My mother really liked the lobster mac & cheese. All the portions were huge except for the ravioli which was rather small. If rating the restaurant on the food alone, I'd say it was very good. Unfortunately our server was subpar. If I lived in the area I am sure I would go back and try the place again with a new server and see if I was left with a more plesant experience.
- Great experience, great food,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/17/2012Great experience, great food, and a fantastic waitstaff. An alltogether great experience that left everyone feeling pleasantly full and planning a return trip. The stuffed peppers appetizers were a particularly nice surprise and the Mac and cheese was a favorite for all.
- Canoe is a great place forOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/23/2011Canoe is a great place for any occasion; food, service, cocktails all are A+++++ Highly recommended.Special Features:
- We are vacation owners andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/12/2011We are vacation owners and frequent Canoe regularly but Sat. the food was the best it has ever been....just a fantastic evening! The Special with Shrimp over corn avocado salad was delicious and should be on your menu permanently!! Thank you so much1Special Features:
- I had the seafood cakes andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2011I had the seafood cakes and they were filled with mostly bread very little seafood. Had them before and they were delicious. Will try something different the next time.ThanksSpecial Features:
- Excellent food and wine, asOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2011Excellent food and wine, as always. We like to treat out of town guests to the "Canoe experience."Special Features:
- We love Canoe. Over the lastOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/4/2011We love Canoe. Over the last 25 years there have been a number of restaurants in that spot - all with some problem or another. Canoe's arrival was very welcome. It has been there for many years now and it has been consistently good. My whole family thinks their Mac'n'Cheese is the best around.Special Features:
- Have been here twice now.JustagirlintheworldVIPDined on 8/9/2011Have been here twice now. We will come back every time we are in the area (which is every summer.) We've enjoyed everything we've eaten here so far. The back porch is wonderful if the weather is nice.Special Features:
- We have been to this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/26/2011We have been to this restaurant several times and each time the food and service are always excellent. I have never been disappointed and recommended the Canoe to many family and friends.Special Features:
- A really nice place to eat in NH!EricNHDined on 2/11/2011Probably one of the 20 best places to eat in Nh! You will love this place, special food prepared well. Very strong following, make a reservation.Special Features: