48 John Street
Niagara-On-The-Lake, ON L0S 1J0Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.vintage-hotels.com/pillarandpost/dining.htm
- Phone: 9054682123x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:00pm; Breakfast: Monday - Saturday: 7:00am - 11:00am, Sunday: 7:00am - 10:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Mark Longster
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Our award-winning culinary team will create a delectable, original menus for your special event on or off-site.
- Private Party Facilities: Cannery Restaurant has a variety of private dining areas to accommodate 8 to 30 people.
- Private Party Contact: Jamie Drummond 9054681362x7454
A word from Cannery Restaurant
Capture a magical moment of Niagara-on-the-Lake’s past as you dine in one of its most historic buildings. The four-diamond Cannery Restaurant of today is reminiscent of its former life as a canning factory in the 1800s, where Niagara peaches and tomatoes were canned until 1957. Its agricultural past has been lovingly retained in its décor of rough hewn wooden beams, rich red brick walls and a hearth at the heart of the restaurant. Chef Mark Longster continues to serve up the best of the region in his menus which feature the freshest local produce and fine wines. Charming and casual Cannery Restaurant is the place to find all your favorites, from succulent steaks to catch of the day to a fabulous Sunday brunch. Chef Longster's food is prepared and presented perfectly, for your ultimate dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Cannery Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Niagara-on-the-lake ›
Cannery Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (66)romantic (44)fit for foodies (29)notable wine list (27)good for groups (19)great for brunch (15)neighborhood gem (14)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)hot spot (2)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- good food, great placegettheskinnyDined on 8/31/2014its hard to find if you don't know its at the Pillar & Post; unique facility in former canning factory adds interest and atmosphere; service attentive but formal rather than friendly; food excellent - but almost every dish has alcohol of some sort and they don't always say so on the menu, also a bit on the pricey side so come prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dissapointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014I booked my reservation through recommendations from friends and family but I was very dissapointed with the food quality. The staff was very friendly and professional however my prime rib steak was very fatty, and Luke warm at best, my girlfriends salmon was also cold to the touch. I ended up with horrible stomach cramps that night and this was the only solid meal I had eaten that day, I am not sure if it was just a fluke, or a bad day but I was very upset with how poor the food was especially being that the restaurant is not inexpensive. I would not go back and I most certainly would not recommend it to anyone.
- Good SteakhouseMofltDined on 8/25/2014Frankly, we found NOTL a beautiful spot, and located in wine country though it may be, the culinary arts just do not seem to be a driving force. Thus, the Cannery is a giant among midgets. We immediately became concerned as the reception desk was unattended. Almost 5 minutes for the host to greet us... 30 more seconds and we were out of there. Our waiter took a long time initially coming over but then things seemed to settle in okay. We stuck with their signature dishes--I had prime rib and my wife had the wild salmon. Both tasty and prepared to our liking. However, the baked potato was the consistency of having been nuked and the tomato feta soup, although tasty, was a bit institutional fare. All-in-all good but unimaginative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good mealsHuckDined on 8/17/2014Had great meals for Dinner, very good service but I did not relise or were we told a glass of white wine would cost us $23 per glass. Very supprised and dissappointed by that. Pretty pricy, especially with a $46 wine tab for 2 glass's Breakfast service was quite slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent All AroundSmartusoDined on 8/9/2014From the time we sat down the service was amazing. From choosing a wine, to ordering dinner the staff made it so enjoyable for my partner and I. Excellent place!Special Features:
- Overall foodLowKeywerDined on 8/9/2014We had the breakfast package. We would have like more selection in the buffet, coffee was a little strong, They left a new chef at the omlette station who could not turn over an omlette. actually burnt my wifes omlette. Dinner was outstanding, wine selection was good and when I asked for a specific shooter our waitress had the Bartender google it and made them for us. Best surf and turf I have had any where. Our Waitress? OUTSTANDING!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodMmmmWafflesDined on 8/9/2014We ate here for breakfast during our stay at the Pillar and Post. I was expecting a typical continental breakfast, and what I got was a bountiful buffet, with a omelet and waffle station. Plenty of food to eat, and an amazing server checking in on our every needs. The cooks even brough the waffle to our table. Great service and food, would recommend.Special Features:
- A great dining experienceitaliandinerDined on 8/8/2014My husband and I celebrated our 5 year anniversary in NOTL. We had our anniversary dinner at Cannery Restaurant and it exceeded our expectations. Friendly, knowledgeable service, and the food was excellent. We had crab cakes and shrimp cocktail to start, followed by rib eye and lamb rack mains. One of the best meals we've ever had. This is a great place for celebrating special occasions in particular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatdiningGreatdiningDined on 8/7/2014Our overall experience was amazing. The food was spectacular in presentation and taste. Katelyn our server was very friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious mealFoodAddictDined on 8/6/2014Overall we were impressed by the menu selections and everything turned out to be delicious. Our meal started with an amuse bouche caprese salad which was unexpected and a favorite of ours. We shared the taster appetizer which came with a crab cake, souffle & prawns- the shrimp dip was unique and fab! For the mains we both ordered steaks and the portions were generous. My husband had the prime rib and I got the tenderloin. The tenderloin is topped with blue cheese & wrapped in bacon, it was really really good, but rich. The lobster mash potatoes were fabulous as well. We got the wine pairings with our meal and they went well. Dessert was enough to share & also very good. All in all good value and really amazing food.Special Features:
- Niagara on the lakeBath9Dined on 8/6/2014The Cannery is a very nice restaurant with a nice selection of food on the menu. The food was very well prepared and the service excellent. Would highly recommend the prime rib roast, as well as the filet. Would certainly go back if I was in the area again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice, BUT.....bulingtonfoodiesDined on 8/5/2014This was our first time at this restaurant, and it's probably our last. Food, ambience, décor, service were all very good, BUT the wine list is outrageous. We ordered what appeared to be the least expensive Niagara wine for $41, and it tasted like the least expensive. Many wines are over $100 a bottle, including some Niagara region wines, most of which are priced at $60-$80 a bottle. My wife and I enjoy a good wine and are willing to pay for it, but this restaurant's wine pricing is obscene. Thankfully, there are other good restaurants to be enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/2/2014waitress greeted us by name and was very friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hoping for MUCH better..WELUVNOTLDined on 7/31/2014My $37.00 scallop and shrimp entree was a joke. It had 1 (one) scallop that was sectioned into 3 (three) thin sections, and laid on top of a bed of excessively salty risotto with 3 large shrimps. I expected a little more for our overall investment of over $200.00. My wife's $46.00 tenderloin was tiny, and the $70.00 bottle of Cali Zin is $21.95 at the Liquor Store. All in all, poor value and matching ambiance. Will not return or recommend.Special Features:
- Nice but OrdinaryBfloPadreDined on 7/31/2014With a 4-diamond AAA rating I was expecting a lot more. The grilled squid was very good as was the little crostini brought as an "amuse". But the rib eye steak was really lacking. Only 8 oz, it had none of the prized qualities of a rib eye. It tasted more like a sirloin filet. Little marbling, not trimmed properly of grizzle. The outside grill marks tasted really charred and it was not seasoned well. The local red wine suggested to go with the steak was not a good choice. It was harsh and tasted as if the bottle had been open too long.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerOpenTableKDined on 7/30/2014Food very good, only complaint was when I booked the reservation I requested a special dessert for husband's birthday. Received no email reply so assumed all was well; however, dessert was not available. Cannery should have notified me earlier. Birthday surprised was spoiled.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatNiagaraDined on 7/28/2014The Cannery was great. The food was delicious, service great.Special Features:
- Anniversary WeekendjazzmoeDined on 7/27/2014Stayed in Niagara Lake and booked hotel at Queens Landing and decided on Sunday Brunch at the Cannery. Great choice. Food selection was great and quality fairly good. Great atmospheres....very rustic. Would go back!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014To be honest, we were not that impressed with the restaurant. It was almost over priced fro the food we had. The pictures on-line show a smaller quaint space and we were surprised at how big the restaurant was. The restaurant also was quite close to being a steakhouse - which it should allude to on the site.
- Expected more given reviewsRoadWarriorAZVIPDined on 7/26/2014This restaurant got really good reviews on Open Table, Yelp, and from a local, so I went in expecting big things. Unfortunately, what I got was a hotel restaurant--overpriced, somewhat standard steakhouse type fare. The mussels were good, but I got the exact same mussels at other locations, so nothing special. The prime rib was surprisingly gristly. The other steak dish that we got was fine, but again, nothing remarkable. I think the best item was the baked potato! Service was really slow--not just leisurely, slow. For two people ordering one appetizer, two entrees, and one dessert, I did not expect to be there 2.5 hours. I wanted to like this place, and I love a good steakhouse, but The Cannery just didn't click with me.Special Features:
- AmazingPickyDinnersDined on 7/26/2014My husband and I dined there for our anniversary dinner. The meal was absolutely delicious and our waitress (Lisa) was fabulous!!! We would recommend this place to anyone! and certainly plan to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ceroyDined on 7/25/2014Excellent service and ambiance - the food at best is average - but very high prices - they do a great job recognizing special occasions.Special Features:
- A Must when in Niagara on the lakeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/24/2014Absolutely every serving was delicious! Try the poached pear Gorgonzola bruschetta to die for! The prawn scallop risotto was a gastronomic delight! The brownie cheesecake finale topped off a perfect evening. All courses were so delicious with very attentive service, we will definitely return on our next trip to the regionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/21/2014As with most restaurants, several dishes were wonderful, several dishes were just fine, price too high If all the dishes brought to the table were wonderful then the price we paid was worth it, sadly that was not the case. Before we make a more in depth review, we will try it again, on a different night, time of day and different dishes. Then we will make our decision to bring guest here or not. Thank you D.Special Features:
- DinnergeogorDined on 7/19/2014Overall, our experience was good. Prime rib was excellent. My husband had the surf and turf special and was disappointed in the portion size for the price point. Lobster tail was very small and so was the steak.Special Features:
- very enjoyablethr1llsDined on 7/19/2014My wife and I had dinner to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. The waitress was fun and helpful, the food was delicious, and they gave us a thoughtful "Happy 10th Anniversary" message on our dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The CanneryFoodieVIPDined on 7/19/2014Great roast beef! Highly recommend. Bring your appetite - large portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantasticIDGirlDined on 7/18/2014I took my mom here for her birthday. The food was amazing. I had the beef wrapped in bacon and she had the cornish hen. The food was fantastic. When you are seated, make sure not to be seated next to the elevator, it was somewhat disruptive and unexpected for an expensive dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely fabulous!WestburyDined on 7/16/2014Dinner at the Cannery is truly an amazing experience. Great food, from silky smooth crab cannelloni, to very traditional, but perfectly cooked, prime rib and Yorkshire pudding. Great Niagara wines, and imports too. Very professional and pleasant service. The room itself is also very charming, warm and comfortable. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- livetoeatVIPDined on 7/15/2014A wonderful restaurant worth return visits. Service was efficient. We ordered the crabcakes. It was served hot and did not tast of fillers common to many crabcakes. Delicious. Entrees included marrakech salmon and curry scallops & prawns. Portions were large. Both dishes were served hot as they should be and done just right. The risotto in the scallops and prawns was delicious although a bit salty. It didn't really tasted curry, but the overall impression was a dish "to die for". Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice for special occasiontime2dineDined on 7/15/2014This restaurant is expensive, but not out of line with other restaurants in Niagara on the Lake. Dining was quiet and leisurely when we were there early on a weekday evening. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good RestaurantwhewDined on 7/12/2014Good food, great ambiance. No external signage so unless you know its in the hotel you might get confused trying to find it. But once discovered, its worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Your not in Kansas anymore!TopekaTravelerDined on 7/12/2014Romantic getaway weekend visit to the Niagara-on-the-Lake area! The food was exceptional, but what made it an unforgettable evening was our server, Ashley. Ashley truly made us feel appreciated and had excellent recommendations. Thanks Ashley!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014While the food was well prepared we were disappointed by the lack of veggies with the entrees. Also, we were quite disappointed by the lack of a moderately priced bottle of wine - everything was over $50. Not everyone is a wine expert and it would have been nice to have a choice of a less expensive wine. Otherwise the service was excellent and the ambience quite nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good, but bring your money!!Dsmiley15Dined on 7/6/2014The service was absolutely incredible -- the staff are wonderful here. The food only made the experience perfect! Everything on the menu sounded delicious. My husband ordered the "Surf and Turf" that was on special and it was excellent. I ordered the rib eye steak and it was cooked to perfection. The appetizer platter was great. The ONLY downside is the price is quite high & couple that with Canada's OUTRAGEOUS tax of 13.5% and you get the idea!! I would definitely recommend for the food or a special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was tastyAugystoDined on 7/5/2014Nice Food but too quiet and in the middle of No where.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A local must see.Tjheath0423VIPDined on 7/4/2014Wife and I were there for our anniversary. Service impeccable from start to finish. Wife had prime rib and she was thrilled. I had tenderloin, and while small, it was very good. Root veggies awesome. Creme brûlée was one of the best we have had anywhere. We had a Reif Estate Cab and was pleasantly surprised. Next time in Niagara on the Lake, we will return.Special Features:
- Romantic excellencewftlDined on 6/23/2014It's hard to review the Cannery without talking about the Pillar and Post because it's really part of the experience. The restaurant itself is wonderful with superb food and a great menu, especially if you are a meat lover. Both of us had a meal with variations on beef tenderloin, but each dish was different and excellent in its own right. The sampler platter appetizer (at $22) is a must with awesome crab cakes, amazing shrimp, and a superb baked goat cheese treat. My own peach mille feuille dessert was a fantastic way to wrap up the meal. Highly recommended but as I mentioned, so much of the experience, including the relaxing, romantic setting (including pools, spa, and Niagara-on-the-Lake itself), are part of what makes the Cannery great.Special Features:
- great food plusCeeeDined on 6/22/2014Great food. Our server Ashley was amazing. I would definitely go back and recommended to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceKatherineDined on 6/15/2014The slow roasted sirloin was amazing, as was the Cornish hen. Our waitress was friendly and engaging, had lots of great wine recommendation for dinner. A very enjoyable meal.Special Features: