48 John Street
Niagara-On-The-Lake, ON L0S 1J0Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.vintage-hotels.com/pillarandpost/dining.htm
- Phone: 9054682123
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:00pm; Breakfast: Monday - Saturday: 7:00am - 11:00am, Sunday: 7:00am - 10:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Mark Longster
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Our award-winning culinary team will create a delectable, original menus for your special event on or off-site.
- Private Party Facilities: Cannery Restaurant has a variety of private dining areas to accommodate 8 to 30 people.
- Private Party Contact: Jamie Drummond 9054681362x7454
A word from Cannery Restaurant
Capture a magical moment of Niagara-on-the-Lake’s past as you dine in one of its most historic buildings. The four-diamond Cannery Restaurant of today is reminiscent of its former life as a canning factory in the 1800s, where Niagara peaches and tomatoes were canned until 1957. Its agricultural past has been lovingly retained in its décor of rough hewn wooden beams, rich red brick walls and a hearth at the heart of the restaurant. Chef Mark Longster continues to serve up the best of the region in his menus which feature the freshest local produce and fine wines. Charming and casual Cannery Restaurant is the place to find all your favorites, from succulent steaks to catch of the day to a fabulous Sunday brunch. Chef Longster's food is prepared and presented perfectly, for your ultimate dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Cannery Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Niagara-on-the-lake ›
Cannery Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (72)romantic (43)fit for foodies (39)notable wine list (33)good for groups (30)neighborhood gem (17)great for brunch (14)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- great foodhunting4Dined on 10/23/2014entertained friends here, food was both very good and yet had a different touch. make sure you leave room for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryWallyDined on 10/18/2014My wife and I had a great time remembering old times at the PillarSpecial Features:
- Quality that matches the PriceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014In general, food was fresh, well prepared and generously portioned. I had the green curry seafood risotto and it was delicious. The seafood was cooked just enough and not rubbery. Big enough portion for two ladies. My husband had the Rib eye steak. You could smell the aroma of charcoal as the steak arrived. Nicely seared and cooked to perfection. Also, highly recommend ordering the taster platter of their signature appetizers. All delicious and beautifully displayed. Overall, a wonderful dinning experience.Special Features:
- Perfect for special occasionsMayiDined on 10/12/2014We came here for a special occasion. The waiting time was longer than normally for restaurants. We ordered the crab cakes as starter, it was good but nothing special. For main course I got salmon, it was amazing! And surf & turf, the steak was really good, the lobster was ok... I would suggest to get Salmon or steak at this restaurant. For dessert, the profiteroles were also ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sunday brunchyumitupDined on 10/12/2014You'll love the beautiful interior and exterior - it's gorgeous. The brunch was excellent - fresh with many selections. I'll return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie4everDined on 10/11/2014Disappointing service from an otherwise normally stellar restaurant.
- Thinking Red?MikeVIPDined on 10/11/2014The Cannery's signature dish is the prime rib and it was as claimed: Very Good. Spacious and quiet hard to believe it was once a cannery. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Great foodBarbaraDined on 10/7/2014First time we were there. The food was great as well as the service. Really liked the decor of the restaurant. If we ever go back to Niagaraon the Lake, we would go back there.Special Features:
- Great evening!Fishpond202Dined on 10/4/2014My husband said it was the best prime rib he has had in years and our server, Ashley, was both professional and lovely. A wonderful evening out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special EveningHarvey123Dined on 10/3/2014Excellent service was provided by an attentive server. Great selection of local wine with good variety of excellent choices for dinner. The prime rib dinner was outstanding! Nice choice of breads offered. Good offering of desserts with an option of adding ice wine or late harvest wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and foodAnnetteVIPDined on 10/1/2014The food is excellent particularly the prime rib and shrimp appetizer. The server was friendly, attentive and ensured all of our needs were met. The location of the restaurant is very convenient if you are staying at the Pillar and Post. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- bleslieDined on 9/27/2014Food was delicious and service wonderful! Celebrated our anniversary here- it was a perfect pick!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pretty goodfairbalancedDined on 9/26/2014I would say the food was "good" but it took a very long time to get out appetizer, then our entrée and then our bill. Dining room is very attractive. I do not think the food is worth the money.Special Features:
- Wonderful Birthday DinnerCoolaDined on 9/21/2014I reserved this restaurant because my husband LOVES prime rib!!!! We both had AWESOME meals!!! My only disappointment was that I had called a week earlier to see if they could arrange for a loaded chocolate dessert for the husband since it was his birthday. I was told that they would ensure that the restaurant received my request) Since you can not get through directly to the restaurant when you call (front desk of the Inn where the restaurant is located)they did not have this 'request'. They still were able to get my husband a chocolate tart (not his favorite, but it worked), and they put a candle and wrote Happy Birthday in chocolate on his plate. All in all, it was a GREAT evening!!! Our server was excellent as well!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/18/2014The atmosphere is casual yet elegant. It is a very relaxing interesting dining room and the menu offerings are well prepared and reasonably priced. Our waiter, however, seemed some "absent". He was never rude and was very polite but his mind seemed to be elsewhere. He was not attentive and appeared to be completely disinterested in our presence.
- Not a four star restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/15/2014My husband and I had dinner here for our 37th anniversary while vacationing in Niagara on the Lake. While we were seated promptly, two parties that came in after us were serviced first. It took a little long for our server to ask about wine. Once ordered, it arrived from the cellar in a reasonable amount of time and the rest of the timing of dinner was acceptable. For the food, my husband ordered rack of lamb ($42), but the "rack" consisted of two lamb chops. My prime rib had a considerable amount of fat which was hard to cut through. My prime rib came with vegetables and a baked potato. The server brought toppings for it before I had a chance to find the potato buried under everything else. The taste of everything was very good, though.Special Features:
- Never lets me downwinetrailerDined on 9/13/2014Our daughter decided to come home at the latest minute and we decided to plan an outing in Niagara. There are a number of trendy new restaurants in the area and given the weekend was the start of the Grape and Harvest festival everything was fully booked. We have eaten at the Cannery several times which were good to outstanding experiences. I was surprised and saddened that getting a reservation was not an issue. I guess the crowd flocks to the latest hot spot. Going in I wasn't sure if I was going to be disappointed but I have to say you exceeded my expectations. We shared our appetizers We also shared sampling of our main course too! Everyone was very pleased with our meal. The crowds don't know what they are missing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4goodfoodDined on 9/12/2014Great service, great food, warm ambience. Very relaxing experience.Special Features:
- tastyDined on 9/10/2014excellent meal very pleasant waitress. varied menu good presentation of foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay, but not great.3812Opentable9Dined on 9/5/2014We've had breakfast at the Cannery twice lately. We had brunch the first time. The lines were long and there was only one person doing egg dishes & waffles. And at one point that person went MIA. So we all just stood there and stared at each other for at least 10 minutes. Also, they didn't have enough food. My daughter happened to like a certain salad, but when she went up to get some more, there simply wasn't any more. No more in the kitchen either. On the second trip, we ordered off the menu, which was marginally better, but my poached eggs were way overdone. They just aren't getting the basics right. Nice setting, though. NOTE: call the restaurant to confirm your online booking since they had no record of mine.
- good food, great placegettheskinnyDined on 8/31/2014its hard to find if you don't know its at the Pillar & Post; unique facility in former canning factory adds interest and atmosphere; service attentive but formal rather than friendly; food excellent - but almost every dish has alcohol of some sort and they don't always say so on the menu, also a bit on the pricey side so come prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dissapointingJHF02Dined on 8/28/2014I booked my reservation through recommendations from friends and family but I was very dissapointed with the food quality. The staff was very friendly and professional however my prime rib steak was very fatty, and Luke warm at best, my girlfriends salmon was also cold to the touch. I ended up with horrible stomach cramps that night and this was the only solid meal I had eaten that day, I am not sure if it was just a fluke, or a bad day but I was very upset with how poor the food was especially being that the restaurant is not inexpensive. I would not go back and I most certainly would not recommend it to anyone.
- Good SteakhouseMofltDined on 8/25/2014Frankly, we found NOTL a beautiful spot, and located in wine country though it may be, the culinary arts just do not seem to be a driving force. Thus, the Cannery is a giant among midgets. We immediately became concerned as the reception desk was unattended. Almost 5 minutes for the host to greet us... 30 more seconds and we were out of there. Our waiter took a long time initially coming over but then things seemed to settle in okay. We stuck with their signature dishes--I had prime rib and my wife had the wild salmon. Both tasty and prepared to our liking. However, the baked potato was the consistency of having been nuked and the tomato feta soup, although tasty, was a bit institutional fare. All-in-all good but unimaginative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- choose you tablePLFANVIPDined on 8/22/2014we arrived at the end of the lunch hour. the restaurant closes for the afternoon to prepare for dinner which appears to be their "highlight" ! We were greeted with slight hesitation and were immediately escorted out of the dining room and out to the lounge or the patio ... both locations were not what we expected as their website features the dining room. The lounge is dated, dingy and dark or the patio which surrounded the Inn's pool! The tables around the pool were busy, loud and cheap furniture. We were seated but only for a minute before we asked to be moved to the dining room. reluctantly we were seated there, served and the food was good. The waiter was good and made us feel welcome . perception is everythingSpecial Features:
- Good mealsHuckDined on 8/17/2014Had great meals for Dinner, very good service but I did not relise or were we told a glass of white wine would cost us $23 per glass. Very supprised and dissappointed by that. Pretty pricy, especially with a $46 wine tab for 2 glass's Breakfast service was quite slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent All AroundSmartusoDined on 8/9/2014From the time we sat down the service was amazing. From choosing a wine, to ordering dinner the staff made it so enjoyable for my partner and I. Excellent place!Special Features:
- Overall foodLowKeywerDined on 8/9/2014We had the breakfast package. We would have like more selection in the buffet, coffee was a little strong, They left a new chef at the omlette station who could not turn over an omlette. actually burnt my wifes omlette. Dinner was outstanding, wine selection was good and when I asked for a specific shooter our waitress had the Bartender google it and made them for us. Best surf and turf I have had any where. Our Waitress? OUTSTANDING!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodMmmmWafflesDined on 8/9/2014We ate here for breakfast during our stay at the Pillar and Post. I was expecting a typical continental breakfast, and what I got was a bountiful buffet, with a omelet and waffle station. Plenty of food to eat, and an amazing server checking in on our every needs. The cooks even brough the waffle to our table. Great service and food, would recommend.Special Features:
- A great dining experienceitaliandinerDined on 8/8/2014My husband and I celebrated our 5 year anniversary in NOTL. We had our anniversary dinner at Cannery Restaurant and it exceeded our expectations. Friendly, knowledgeable service, and the food was excellent. We had crab cakes and shrimp cocktail to start, followed by rib eye and lamb rack mains. One of the best meals we've ever had. This is a great place for celebrating special occasions in particular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatdiningGreatdiningDined on 8/7/2014Our overall experience was amazing. The food was spectacular in presentation and taste. Katelyn our server was very friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious mealFoodAddictDined on 8/6/2014Overall we were impressed by the menu selections and everything turned out to be delicious. Our meal started with an amuse bouche caprese salad which was unexpected and a favorite of ours. We shared the taster appetizer which came with a crab cake, souffle & prawns- the shrimp dip was unique and fab! For the mains we both ordered steaks and the portions were generous. My husband had the prime rib and I got the tenderloin. The tenderloin is topped with blue cheese & wrapped in bacon, it was really really good, but rich. The lobster mash potatoes were fabulous as well. We got the wine pairings with our meal and they went well. Dessert was enough to share & also very good. All in all good value and really amazing food.Special Features:
- Niagara on the lakeBath9Dined on 8/6/2014The Cannery is a very nice restaurant with a nice selection of food on the menu. The food was very well prepared and the service excellent. Would highly recommend the prime rib roast, as well as the filet. Would certainly go back if I was in the area again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice, BUT.....bulingtonfoodiesDined on 8/5/2014This was our first time at this restaurant, and it's probably our last. Food, ambience, décor, service were all very good, BUT the wine list is outrageous. We ordered what appeared to be the least expensive Niagara wine for $41, and it tasted like the least expensive. Many wines are over $100 a bottle, including some Niagara region wines, most of which are priced at $60-$80 a bottle. My wife and I enjoy a good wine and are willing to pay for it, but this restaurant's wine pricing is obscene. Thankfully, there are other good restaurants to be enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/2/2014waitress greeted us by name and was very friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hoping for MUCH better..WELUVNOTLDined on 7/31/2014My $37.00 scallop and shrimp entree was a joke. It had 1 (one) scallop that was sectioned into 3 (three) thin sections, and laid on top of a bed of excessively salty risotto with 3 large shrimps. I expected a little more for our overall investment of over $200.00. My wife's $46.00 tenderloin was tiny, and the $70.00 bottle of Cali Zin is $21.95 at the Liquor Store. All in all, poor value and matching ambiance. Will not return or recommend.Special Features:
- Nice but OrdinaryBfloPadreDined on 7/31/2014With a 4-diamond AAA rating I was expecting a lot more. The grilled squid was very good as was the little crostini brought as an "amuse". But the rib eye steak was really lacking. Only 8 oz, it had none of the prized qualities of a rib eye. It tasted more like a sirloin filet. Little marbling, not trimmed properly of grizzle. The outside grill marks tasted really charred and it was not seasoned well. The local red wine suggested to go with the steak was not a good choice. It was harsh and tasted as if the bottle had been open too long.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerOpenTableKDined on 7/30/2014Food very good, only complaint was when I booked the reservation I requested a special dessert for husband's birthday. Received no email reply so assumed all was well; however, dessert was not available. Cannery should have notified me earlier. Birthday surprised was spoiled.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatNiagaraDined on 7/28/2014The Cannery was great. The food was delicious, service great.Special Features:
- Anniversary WeekendjazzmoeDined on 7/27/2014Stayed in Niagara Lake and booked hotel at Queens Landing and decided on Sunday Brunch at the Cannery. Great choice. Food selection was great and quality fairly good. Great atmospheres....very rustic. Would go back!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014To be honest, we were not that impressed with the restaurant. It was almost over priced fro the food we had. The pictures on-line show a smaller quaint space and we were surprised at how big the restaurant was. The restaurant also was quite close to being a steakhouse - which it should allude to on the site.