2576 Aurora Ave N
Seattle, WA 98109Neighborhood:
NorthwestPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.canlis.com/
- Phone: (206) 283-3313
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - close, Saturday: 5:00pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Northwest
- Executive Chef: Jason Franey
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wine
- Entertainment: Canlis believes in supporting real artists and live music. The evening is accompanied by live piano music from a 1920 Steinway Grand.
- Special Events: SPECIAL REQUESTS: Please call the reservationist directly to place any special orders or floral arrangements.
A word from Canlis
This is a place where you feel welcomed. Run by the Canlis family, Canlis is the Pacific Northwest's most celebrated restaurant, winner of fourteen consecutive Wine Spectator Grand Awards and three time James Beard runner up for best service in the country. Voted Most Romantic, Best View, Best Service, Best Design, Top Wine List and Wine Service, Washington Family Business of the year, and Best Overall Restaurant. At Canlis we are learners, and after 60 years of serving Seattle, we believe we're just beginning to get things right. We look forward to meeting you. For more information, we invite you to www.canlis.comContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Canlis - Best Restaurants in Queen Anne ›
Canlis reviews from OpenTable diners
276 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (251)scenic view (231)romantic (219)notable wine list (192)fit for foodies (169)neighborhood gem (34)hot spot (25)good for groups (24)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (6)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Beautiful View and Great ServicenomnomnomVIPDined on 11/22/2014Service is wonderful and had a nice view. The Wagyu was the best part of the meal. Truffle fries was recommended by others but we would not order again. Some pieces were burnt but everything else tasted delicious. Oysters were cleaned well and fresh. It is on the more pricey side but worth it.Special Features:
- Overpriced for what it isNonicknameVIPDined on 11/22/2014If you're into eating dinner in a fancy suit and paying nearly 600 for three people to have a bottle of 30 wine( they charged 60) and the 7 course little tasting menu go for it.. You'll be rewarded with an outstanding view, superb service and a one of a kind higher than average bill. I found their service to be a bit over the top annoying, because they might as well of pulled up a chair and sat down. You drink two sips of water, they are there, they take your plate on one of the bite size courses, they are there to scrape the non existent crumbs,for each dish, they then come back to give you a long explanation of what it is, they then continue to come to the table to make sure all is liked, well etc. The food was good, original, but I've had better in fine dining restauraunts. Anchovy soup was our least favorite.the two scallops were good. I wouldn't return, but I'm glad I got to experience it just once.dont even think about trying to find it in the dark,coming on hey 99 from the north. You can't turn into the place and then it's easy to get lost. Come from mercer st.Special Features:
- LaurenDined on 11/21/2014From the surprising and tantalizing amuse-bouche to the surprising and delectable complimentary after-sweet, Canlis does not fail to deliver an exceptional dining experience. Astonishing flavour combinations make unique offerings... serving a fois gras on cinnamon bread?? Delicious. Our evening was a culinary adventure, and we were supported by a knowledgeable and friendly staff who clearly love to share their insights. And the service is impeccable and highly attuned to the patrons. We have been there a couple of times for extremely special occasions, because it is not a night at the Keg and we have to save our pennies for it, but it is worth every one of those pennies!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely experience, overpriced so-so foodronioDined on 11/21/2014Dining at Canlis is an "experience" and it's presented that way. You need to get reservations way in advance, you need to dress up, you need to use the valet, they know your name, etc. etc. That's pretty fun. But we were rather disappointed by the food itself. First, you are forced to order one of the prix fixe menus (3, 4, or 7-course chef menu). At our table we had 3- and 4-course variations. The menu choices are not numerous but do cover a decent range of types and flavors. Service was excellent if a little on the slow side, but the cocktails we had weren't really that good. The appetizers were ok -- my beets could definitely have used some salt and less vinegar. For the main course, most at our table had the filet, and the two people who ordered medium got steak that was rawer-looking than my medium-rare, which was pretty spot on. The deserts were ok -- nothing to write home about. We had one bottle of wine and 4 cocktails, and the bill was rather impressively pricey. This is not a place for foodies. But it is a place to go for a "special" outing.Special Features:
- A Divine Evening!potbellyVIPDined on 11/20/2014Canlis is a dimension above and beyond. Stunningly enjoyable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I would not recommend the duck.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/20/2014I have eaten duck on many occasions. This was a very different experience. In Europe the ideal is that the fat is rendered and the skin crispy. Maybe this was supposed to be a different way of cooking, but it's not one I would repeat.Special Features:
- A proper Seattle landmarklsgrizVIPDined on 11/19/2014Canlis is practically a Seattle institution now, having been around so long. It's a beautiful location and restaurant, so you can't go wrong celebrating a special occasion there. The food is very good and the service is stellar. If you're expecting a view, you should ask for it when making a reservation. Many tables further inside have no view. Valet was a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/15/2014Although the service and ambiance met my expectations, I was very underwhelmed by the food and wine. Our group of four decided to do the 7 course tasting meal with 5 wine pairings, so that we could get the true experience. Of the 7 dishes, there were only 2 that our group thought was anything special. The wine pairings were also disappointing and there were several that we did not finish. It felt like they were serving the wines that they could not sell otherwise. I see why someone would go there for a special occasion because the ambiance and service are great, but if you care more about food, I would go elsewhere. There are at least 10 restaurants in the city with far better food for a fraction of the price.Special Features:
- Service was awful with a large number of servers.whoknows077VIPDined on 11/14/2014Canlis has a large staff. It is unclear what they do because they take long, pay little attention to the rhythm of the table, and are not helpful with explanations.Special Features:
- Absolutely fantastic!!MaryC03Dined on 11/12/2014My very generous Realtor took me and a friend out to this restaurant to celebrate the new house I bought. I loved every minute of our night there! The service was impeccable, the food was amazing and the view cannot be beat. It was expensive certainly but it was well worth it to me. I split the whole duck with one of my table mates and it was the best duck I'd ever had. The souffle was also delicious and so much fun to eat. Its not something I'll do all the time but I am eagerly anticipating my next visit. Thanks Canlis for a wonderful night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wife's birthdayKTIZZLEDined on 11/11/2014I had heard good things about this place. I knew that it was a high end dinning experience so my expectations were pretty high. Fortunately they were also met. I took my wife her for her birthday. We got a 4 top by the window to ourselves with an amazing view over lake Union. I try and stay away from dairy and the service was very accommodating. All in all a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mikeDined on 11/11/2014Great service and food as always. Other restaurants could learn from this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of this worldTimMDined on 11/8/2014I've been to some expensive restaurants before, but Canlis really was a whole new level. The service, food, presentation, etc., were all flawless. Everyone knows about their valet service, but I wanted to mention how the waitstaff operations are somewhat "choreographed". It's this sort of attention to detail that really puts Canlis above and beyond any other restaurant I've ever been to.Special Features:
- Great Dinner ExperienceDeanfromseattleDined on 11/8/2014Great service, great food. Not inexpensive, but lots of extras with appetizers and chocolate to go. See more in my tripadvisor reviewSpecial Features:
- Outstanding restaurant met the hypePeasOnMossDined on 11/6/2014We have been anticipating our dinner at Canlis for a while and were not disappointed. The service is precise and friendly, and the servers are well versed with the menu, options, and food allergen concerns. The dishes were beautifully plated, generously portioned, and well seasoned. The course timing was done well. We spent about 2 and a half hours dining and enjoying the evening. Reservations are absolutely recommended - the dining room was full, and the bar was busy. Despite a full house, the servers seemed calm, and our service was wonderful.Special Features:
- Night in Seattlegourmet2Dined on 11/6/2014We brought guests from the East Coast to dine at Canlis last week as they have read about the restaurant but never been there. It was a lovely evening for viewing, however our table was not. Only two of the four could enjoy the view and that was disappointing. The food waitress was okay and the food good. Our guests enjoyed their meals and especially the Flaming Coffee Diablo for two. This was quite a show and worth waiting for as the guests were quite impressed. Extensive wine list that one needs to read online prior to dining. The wine steward is knowledgeable and helpfulSpecial Features:
- View, service, food outstandingNasijarviVIPDined on 11/5/2014We have dined here many times over the past 40 years and the view has changed only subtlely, excellence of service has remained constant, and the food offerings have evolved, yet remain outstanding. Pleasant piano music in the background. A must when we visit Seattle.Special Features:
- missmDined on 11/5/2014Our third visit to Canlis in the past 6 or 8 years. Our first was just prior to the sons taking over operations, and we were unimpressed by that long ago visit. After the makeover and meeting Brian Canlis at a private food event as well as enjoying demos by the chef at the farmer's market, we visited for a second time last fall to celebrate a wedding anniversary, then again recently to celebrate a promotion in the family. The Canlis boys have made this very special place relevant again while maintaining the classic atmosphere and dishes. It just keeps getting better, they have been and are doing an amazing job.Special Features:
- ReviewNorske42Dined on 11/4/2014A most amazing evening and meal! The meal and presentation were amazing and the attentiveness of our hostess Stephanie made a wonderful evening even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing as Usualehurn32Dined on 11/4/2014This is the second time me and my boyfriend have dined at Canlis, and it definitely exceeded our expectations once again. The food is as wonderful as the experience, so classy and modern at the same time. I love that even the piano music is current! Such a great place to spend an evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingMazzyroseDined on 11/4/2014For my husbands 40th birthday this was such a treat. The food was amazing in so many ways. The service was like a well choreographed dance between every staff member. I swear they have eyes in the back of their head. Ready at all times to pull your table out, re fold your napkin, clear your plates. Never does a plate go in front of you unless it is at the exact same time as your table mates. I loved it. ALL of it. So happy.Special Features:
- Been wishing to visit...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/3/2014Will be returning for sure. I had read countless positive reviews and had many friends tell me to go but never quite had the chance. Finally the perfect opportunity came up and I thought ahead enough to make a reservation in advance. I emailed with Guest Services to arrange something special, I was bringing my then girlfriend with plans to propose :) We got a great seat with a good view of Lake Union and service was great. We fancy ourselves foodies and totally loved everything we ate and drank during our visit. It provided the perfect atmosphere to propose to my fiance. We both left very happy with plans to come back with friends.Special Features:
- Never DisappointsJimOVIPDined on 11/3/2014Our 20 year tradition of including Canis in our Seattle trips continues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Canli never dissappoints!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/3/2014I have been here 4 times in the last few months because nothing in Seattle comes close to the dining experience here. I keep bringing new friends each time. I highly recommend!!!Special Features:
- Outstanding Service & QualitymyoshDined on 11/1/2014My husband and I recently went to Canlis to celebrate our 10th Anniversary after hearing about their legendary service and quality. We were thoroughly impressed by the waitstaff and food! We tried the 4 course meal with the Classic Wine Pairings and loved every bit of it (the Canlis Shrimp and Muscovy Duck are outstanding). Though we had a long dinner service, we never felt rushed. What felt like an hour and a half was actually three hours! As we approached the front to leave, I was immediately greeted by a gentleman with my coat, and as soon as we stepped out the door, our car was already sitting out front. Thank you Canlis for such a wonderful experience. We will be returning soon!Special Features:
- Simply perfectionOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/31/2014Perfect service and to die for food. From the moment you walk in you know that you are in for a treat. This restaurant does not disappoint. It surpasses expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5th AnniversarythebrudersDined on 10/31/2014I made reservations for my husband and I for our anniversary and we were not disappointed. Canlis is certainly the finest dining we've ever experienced (we even bought some new clothes for the occasion). The staff and servers and sommeliers were gracious, knowledgeable, and super attentive. We were impressed every time how synchronized everything was, and even though we're not the fancy dining type, they made us feel taken care of and comfortable. We chose the seven-course chef's tasting menu with the classic wine pairings. Everything we ate and drank was an adventure in taste, texture and presentation. We ate and drank for close to 3 hours but we were never rushed nor bored. A truly unforgettable, amazing experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/31/2014This classic restaurant lived up to its billing in terms of the excellent, attentive service and beautiful atmosphere. The food was fine, though not as good as the quite hefty price tag would suggest. The fact that the best dish was the salad probably doesn't say much for the food (although it really was an incredible salad.....). Two days later, we were talking with friends about it, and had forgotten three of the six dishes that we had. It was a lovely place to celebrate a momentous occasion, and I'm glad that I went, but I wouldn't return.Special Features:
- reggieboyDined on 10/31/2014We had an excellent dining experience. We are over the top foodies. We know food and the food was wonderful. The service was outstanding. The view is not to be missed. We arrived in time to drink cocktails while looking at the lake in the sunshine and stayed to dine under the stars. Really, a perfect 65th birthday.Special Features:
- excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014We went there for my wife's birthday. The ambiance was excellent and they sat us right away. The food was some of the best that ive eaten. The wine that was recommended was so good we had 2 bottles. I had made a request to the piano player to play our wedding songs since it was our honeymoon and to our surprise it was played.Special Features:
- 25th Anniversary TreatLizSDined on 10/28/2014I cannot say enough good things about our experience at Canlis. From the valet to the hostess, to the wait staff, all were unfailingly polite and knowledgeable. The restaurant was tastefully decorated - very elegant and understated. The booth type seating was very comfortable and we had a spectacular view of the city lights. Our menu choices were clearly explained to us and there was a fair amount of selection of gourmet food that was mouth-watering. From the hors d'oeuvres to the dessert, everything was beautifully prepared and presented. We had the salad prepared at the table and it was very tasty. Our filet mignons were done to perfection. Dessert (with candle and happy 25th anniversary on the plate) and cappuccino - perfect!Special Features:
- Outstanding serviceDrpurple25Dined on 10/27/2014Difficult to find but worth the driving aggravation. Beautiful view. Fantastic service. Great house champaign. Very special . Food was very good and beautifully presented. We had a group of 6 who had not seen eachother in a year and it was a great atmosphere.Special Features:
- RandyDined on 10/27/2014One of the outstanding restaurants in the country. While it is pricey, it is worth it for a special occasion.Special Features:
- A true dining experienceseriousdiningDined on 10/25/2014Dining as an experience - the way it is always supposed to be, and the food was equally superb. Bravo!Special Features:
- Special place for friends & familyPhillyfoodieDined on 10/25/2014Canlis is simply divine. The restaurant is a true classic of Seattle, but not "dated" feeling in any way. It is elegant and modern but warm and cozy at the same time. The view and the ambiance make it visually one of a kind, but the amazing food brings you back. And last but not least, the service and attention of the staff is among the best I have ever experienced and made the gourmet food that much better. The cost is high but worth every penny! The staff always asks when you arrive if you are celebrating a special occasion. Well, anytime you go to Canlis, the experience you have creates the special occasion in and of itself. I recommend this restaurant highly and without reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CanlisfloydingDined on 10/24/2014We tried the vegan tasting menu with wine pairing and were unimpressed. It seemed as though they took the regular tastings menu and removed anything non vegan rather than have an actual vegan tasting menu. While all of the dishes were adequate they were mostly bland and uninspired. The wine paring was also a bit off, again because of the lack of an actual vegan tasting menu. While the experience as a whole was good, the service, ambiance, and view were all outstanding, the food was not up to the quality I would expect from this caliber of an establishment.Special Features:
- It's Canlis; What Did You Expect?Rocky9Dined on 10/24/2014Mom and Dad footed the substantial bill for the immediate family (8 persons) to celebrate our daughter's 30th birthday. This restaurant was on her bucket list! While I have been here before, it was at least 15 years ago. The highlight then was finding Kenny G jamming with the piano player in the bar! The service is exceptional; the greeter and wait staff are all polite and professional, and the parking valets know who you are from just a few tidbits of information. You feel special just being there. Our party chose to have warm and cold appetizers, and then the entrees, as we were having cake and presents nearby after dinner. Muscovy Duck, pork collar, and lamb were the entrees, and all were spectacular. Worth the money for us.Special Features:
- an excellent eveningbabyjuneDined on 10/24/2014incredibly prepared- beautifully presented food, great service, very refined and lovely atmosphere. very expensive but extraordinarily special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and viewEveningOutDined on 10/23/2014The service was great and the wine pairing was nicely done, but the food was not exceptional for the Chef's menu. Loved the Manhattan, best I have had.Special Features:
- MIchVIPDined on 10/22/2014The service at the restauant is exceptiona as the staff are very attentive.Special Features: