2576 Aurora Ave N
Seattle, WA 98109Neighborhood:
NorthwestPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.canlis.com/
- Phone: 2062833313x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - close, Saturday: 5:00pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Northwest
- Executive Chef: Jason Franey
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wine
- Entertainment: Canlis believes in supporting real artists and live music. The evening is accompanied by live piano music from a 1920 Steinway Grand.
- Special Events: SPECIAL REQUESTS: Please call the reservationist directly to place any special orders or floral arrangements.
A word from Canlis
This is a place where you feel welcomed. Run by the Canlis family, Canlis is the Pacific Northwest's most celebrated restaurant, winner of fourteen consecutive Wine Spectator Grand Awards and three time James Beard runner up for best service in the country. Voted Most Romantic, Best View, Best Service, Best Design, Top Wine List and Wine Service, Washington Family Business of the year, and Best Overall Restaurant. At Canlis we are learners, and after 60 years of serving Seattle, we believe we're just beginning to get things right. We look forward to meeting you. For more information, we invite you to www.canlis.comContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Canlis - Best Restaurants in Queen Anne ›
Canlis reviews from OpenTable diners
279 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (248)scenic view (234)romantic (209)notable wine list (196)fit for foodies (175)neighborhood gem (29)hot spot (21)good for groups (18)late-night find (12)vibrant bar scene (7)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Special EveningMattDined on 9/13/2014We were here to thank and celebrate my mother-in-law for graciously allowing us to live with her over the summer during our remodel. This was my third time at Canlis and every visit has been exceptional from top to bottom.Special Features:
- We would have put a 3.5 starsElouneDined on 9/12/2014The quality/ price ratio is disappointing. The halibut was overcooked thus dry. Tartare has been made 'au couteau' which is the good way but it should have been longer thiner piece rather than cubs. We heard and read lots of good reviews so we have been disapointed.Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014This was the best dining experience my husband and I have ever had. It was our wedding anniversary and the staff made it so special. The food was amazing and we had a wonderful view of the moon rising over Lake Union. This will become a yearly tradition.Special Features:
- Good or Great?FLLovetoEatDined on 9/11/2014Really good food, but different recipes and service from the Canlis in San Francisco many years ago, which was outstanding.Special Features:
- Canlis is amazing!!MarciaDined on 9/10/2014We dined at Canlis for my mother's 94th Birthday and it was the most amazing experience we could have asked for! The service, food, and ambiance were all way above and beyond anything imaginable. We were especially thrilled with the service. Not only did they pay special attention to our guests with allergies, but they were extremely sensitive to our vegetarian needs. The appetizers were a lovely addition as were the little meringues and chocolate bars after dinner. Thank you, Canlis for making my Seattle native mother's 94th Birthday dinner so memorable and exquisite for all of us.Special Features:
- first anniversary dinner dateavgjoeDined on 9/6/2014incredible, if not overwhelming wine list. landed on an excellent bottle with some assistance. wife and i both went with four course option and loved each of our courses. service was outstanding and the live pianist was the cherry on top of an amazing evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeattleNativeDined on 9/6/2014Lovely innovative dinner with the best service and view in town!!Special Features:
- Best in classPapaDined on 9/5/2014I have given maybe 2 (5) star ratings in the last few years. Food was wonderful and service inpecable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Proposal!Newguy1047Dined on 9/2/2014I surprised my girlfriend with a special night out. She had no idea we were going to dinner at Canlis. The service was excellent and our table was great, facing out over Lake Union. Our food was perfect and they brought out the engagement ring in a special silver platter which she had to lift the cover to find her prize. This was one of the best dinner experiences I have ever had. Thanks CanlisSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic eleganceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/2/2014Staff welcomed us to their "home". Food, service, atmosphere and attention to detail were all five star. We were a party of nine and all felt the same way!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favoritedavequickDined on 8/30/2014We love treating ourselves here. Wagyu steak, the amazing prawn sauce along with the sourdough made on site, etc. And as usual the wonderful desserts. All of their menu is wonderful and their service impeccable. Thanks again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best place in SeattleOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014We will always go to Canlis for special occasions. the service and food are outstanding and we can never figure out how they know our car when it is time to leave.Special Features:
- Seattle has a gem!LuciDined on 8/29/2014We had a wonderful experience at Canlis. We chose the wine pairing menu which was extremely good and although we don't remember how we got back to the hotel, we do remember the dining experience itself!! LOL The service was good and personal and the view of Seattle was fabulous!! We, no doubt, will return!Special Features:
- gooddavidhagDined on 8/29/2014a good dining experience, if visiting Seattle an iconSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the Price!LuvToEatDined on 8/29/2014Canlis was fantastic and well worth the price! Service was excellent as well as the wine pairings! I highly recommend the Duck for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful experienceEastSideFoodieDined on 8/29/2014A perfect evening, the service flawless and enjoyable, professional but fun, not stuffy. The food was like eating art. Very interesting combinations, gorgeous presentation. So glad we chose Canlis for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service!GoodEatsDined on 8/28/2014Piano was too loud. Muffle piano, screen might help or softer, different repertoire.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nearly Flawlessthe1andonlyHoovDined on 8/28/2014My wife and I visited Canlis for our 11th year anniversary. We'd never dined here prior, so we were unsure of what to expect. Thankfully, nearly everything about the food, service and ambiance made for a flawless evening. The unique and unhurried atmosphere coupled with the warm and friendly wait staff was impeccable, and the food....well, there are no complaints. All four courses were perfectly prepared and presented, and in between each course were small, special servings to whet the appetite. After only one visit, Canlis has undoubtedly become a new anniversary tradition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingAlwayshungryVIPDined on 8/27/2014Service, food, ambiance and view. Simply outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/25/2014Nice view, nice service, food was very overpriced and nothing specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerTA12Dined on 8/22/2014Six of us dined at Canlis for my wife's sixtieth birthday celebration. Everything was great and especially the staff were very accommodating. We have dined at Canlis in the past and it seems that the menu was a bit more limited this time. That said, there was something good for everyone and everything was prepared perfectly. It is an expensive restaurant but I think that everyone knows that before they go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowMadDogLikes2EatDined on 8/22/2014One of the best restaurant experiences in my life. I had the 4 course meal and my wife the 3 course. Halibut and beef Waygu were are main dishes. Both exceptional. Service us fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just AveragedatenightDined on 8/22/2014While I would say the service and food were good, for these prices I was expecting outstanding. Nothing stood out other than the view. I had the Canlis salad and halibut. My husband had the oysters, steak and fries. We were only offered the 3 - 4 course menu for a fixed price. It came with a lot of explaining even though we made it clear we wanted to order a la carte. We were told it was the same menu. One problem, there were no prices on it. We were finally given the a la carte menu. We also had the Rombauer Chardonnay. It was $50 more expensive that at the restaurant we went to the previous week. That's fine if the service is spectacular but it just wasn't.Special Features:
- Amazing!LookinupDined on 8/21/2014This was our first time at Canlis. The service, staff, food, wine, and view are exceptional. We have discovered another Seattle gem and will be back again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Institution, the Like Space NeedleCoastHuggerDined on 8/21/2014Canlis is Seattle's most famous "expensive" restaurant, and what it does, it mostly does very well. Food is top quality, and almost always cooked right. (One of our party ordered a medium fillet mignon, and felt it was cooked a bit too far. But a medium rare fillet mignon was perfect, and in both cases the meat was excellent.) It is a steakhouse, so vegetarians have few options. Canlis is legendary for its service, but we were disappointed. A glass of wine with an entree did not arrive, and we literally had to waive twice at waiters who were engrossed with their phones. Much of the trade at Canlis is obviously "special occasion" traffic, with all that means. The lake view is spectacular. Oh, yes, and there is a dress code!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2014Beautiful food, incredible wine pairings. This was the most memorable meal I've ever had. Bravo!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MBP9563Dined on 8/20/2014This is a one of a kind place...phenomenal food , service and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014Outstanding food and atmosphere for a special occasion, like a birthday or an anniversary. This is a top notch restaurant, with super, polite waiters, comfortable seats and tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/19/2014We eat out a lot,almost every night. When we travel, we always enjoy at least one or two Michelin starred restaurants so we have some experience in fine dining. Our evening at Canlis was one of the most memorable meals we have ever had. Everything was perfect! While the food was amazing, the service was also impeccable. Perfect is the best word for Canlis!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014service, food, ambience all outstanding. Truly a unique dining experience. One of the best meals I have ever had. I will definitely come back and greatly look forward to my next evening at Canlis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A consistent delight, as expected.EastsideFoodieDined on 8/18/2014I went to Canlis with my daughter for a proper sendoff before she leaves for college several states away. As expected, Canlis delivered excellence in all respects - an event to remember rather than just a fine meal. The wait staff was highly knowledgeable, professional and discrete without being stuffy. The meal was a wonderful mixture of Canlis traditions, updated classics and new twists, all beautifully presented and served. The soufflé was a perfect combination of flavor and lightness. Of course, this level of elegance comes at a dear price. But for special occasions and creating memories, Canlis delivers and is well worth the investment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must Go!BrandyDined on 8/14/2014Restaurant staff are so informative, friendly and professional. The fillet mignon was AMAZING. Presentation of appetizers, main course and dessert was beautiful, true works of art that delight the palate. Great views of the Seattle skyscape, very cool, sophisticated setting. A must go if you are in Seattle!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a delight!EntrecoteDined on 8/14/2014As always, we thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Canlis. From the minute we drove into the portico, until we exited the driveway, we were treated as honored guests. We were welcomed and shown to our table immediately - no waiting. The food, of course, was fabulous!! I had the Foie Gras, a terrine, with cherries and pistachios and black pepper brioche as my first course. Not only was it delectable, but it was beautiful. I highly recommend it! The view is ever changing and it's fun to watch the boats and float planes. It was a lovely evening!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Striving to be the ultimateRossMcKVIPDined on 8/13/2014Canlis is a superb, fascinating, expensive, and memorable restaurant. It's frozen in time, the mid-20th century, preserving everything that was actually right. Male guests should wear jackets. Women should be dressed up. Informality does not occur. The wait staff is formal, albeit fairly young, and incredibly precise. They iron the table cloths before every use, in situ. Canlis uses a prix fixe approach, $80-125, depending on the number of courses. And it's all delicious. Food you savor in the mind and on the palate. I loved the prawns with vermouth, lime, and garlic, and the Gran Marnier souffle is among the best I've had. The wine list is spectacular. So is the view. Very highly recommended for those special events to remember.Special Features:
- dinner with friendKirklandnaplesVIPDined on 8/13/2014The only way to really articulate how wonderful this experience was is to add 5 more stars at the top - and then more! The excellent customer service starts on the phone and doesn't stop until the valet has brought your car and you drive away. Even then it continues...we were called the next day to get our address in order that they may mail a recipe card as we had requested! Our out of town friend is already looking forward to her next trip to Seattle - and has Canlis on her "absolutely must do" list....thanks to all!Special Features:
- A Spectacular AnniversaryChewandswallowDined on 8/12/2014We had the tasting menu with wine pairing. It was such an adventure. It was a bit heavy on the seafood but still fantastic. Everyone was so friendly and knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/11/2014I do not remember a more spectacular view, service, and delicious dinner. The tasting menu was exquisite. The fluke with strawberry sauce was subtle and deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic and TimelessAgentCheeseDined on 8/9/2014I'll keep this nice and short. If you want to take your significant other to the most romantic restaurant in town, look no further than Canlis. This will be a yearly outing for my wife and I to celebrate our marriage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing night!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014My husband and I went here for our anniversary and it better than we could have imagined. Beautiful place! Incredible food! Amazing service! We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveningrhodabeDined on 8/9/2014Every bite was special, but my favorites of the evening were the Nemean Lion cocktail and the perfectly medium rare lamb crusted with herbs and brioche crumbs. My companion raved about her Wagyu New York steak and truffle fries. Canlis is reliably impressive--not necessarily the most unusual or trendy food, but that is not my goal, either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.