2576 Aurora Ave N
Seattle, WA 98109Neighborhood:
NorthwestPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.canlis.com/
- Phone: 2062833313x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - close, Saturday: 5:00pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Northwest
- Executive Chef: Jason Franey
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wine
- Entertainment: Canlis believes in supporting real artists and live music. The evening is accompanied by live piano music from a 1920 Steinway Grand.
- Special Events: SPECIAL REQUESTS: Please call the reservationist directly to place any special orders or floral arrangements.
A word from Canlis
This is a place where you feel welcomed. Run by the Canlis family, Canlis is the Pacific Northwest's most celebrated restaurant, winner of fourteen consecutive Wine Spectator Grand Awards and three time James Beard runner up for best service in the country. Voted Most Romantic, Best View, Best Service, Best Design, Top Wine List and Wine Service, Washington Family Business of the year, and Best Overall Restaurant. At Canlis we are learners, and after 60 years of serving Seattle, we believe we're just beginning to get things right. We look forward to meeting you. For more information, we invite you to www.canlis.comContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Canlis - Best Restaurants in Queen Anne ›
Canlis reviews from OpenTable diners
281 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (249)scenic view (236)romantic (214)notable wine list (199)fit for foodies (175)neighborhood gem (28)hot spot (22)good for groups (20)late-night find (11)vibrant bar scene (5)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- BreathtakingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014This experience was one for the record books. I won't drone on about every detail other than to say that this was by far, the best meal I have ever had, in the best restaurant I've ever dined in.Special Features:
- a high class experienceDavidNShilpaDined on 9/26/2014Nice to know your in good company, the service is prompt and in our 7 course with pairing experience each dish was prompt and preparation with the pairing was a delight. They answered all our questions and met every expectation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding, as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/26/2014Never get tired of going to Canlis for a special occasion. Food, service, ambience, staff - all over the top.Special Features:
- A Special nightJTF2000Dined on 9/26/2014Finally visited Canlis after so many years living here. Should have done it sooner. A little pricey perhaps, but we left feeling like we had a great evening, not just a dinner. Service was extremely friendly, precise and yet non intrusive. One would be hard pressed to find better service anywhere in the Country. It was actually fun to watch. The wine list is extensive and amazing - recommend you review it on line before you get there as it could take an hour just to get through it. If you can afford it... eat here often. If not... save up for that special occasion; you will remember it. For you EastSiders like us... well worth the trip across the lake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlexbDined on 9/24/2014All great expect foie gras which actually is a "mousse". Recommend they switch to a real slice of "foie gras entier" instead. Apart this, Exceptional! The Oysters, Wagyu beef, Lamb and Mille-Feuille are extraordinary.Special Features:
- Always fabulous!abbysnacksDined on 9/24/2014Dining at Canlis is always a wonderful experience from the friendly staff to the fabulous food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where's MichelinWTR2VIPDined on 9/23/2014I have rarely eaten a meal this good, served so well in such a beautiful environment. I have eaten at a number of Michelin rated restaurants and Canlis is in the same league. One can only wonder why Michelin has yet to recognize this restaurant. The food is outstanding. The service is perfect - not intrusive but always ready. The ambiance is classy and the view is wonderful. I couldn't ask for more in a dining experience.Special Features:
- Absolutely WonderfulImpressedCoupleDined on 9/22/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday knowing his love for food that looks like art and his want to find a restaurant where the food tastes the way it looks! It was a first for the both of us and I don't believe you could have done anything differently to make our night any more enjoyable. Other than the food being flawless in preperation and flavor, we were exceptionally impressed with your wonderful service and coordination with all of the staff. I have already bragged about this restaurant to friends and we will most definitely be dining with you again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentitteradaDined on 9/22/2014Nothing to say that hasn't been touched on repeatedly already, but Canlis seems to shine specifically in every criteria. The Ambiance is subdued but with enough movement to not feel sleepy or slow. The building itself is gorgeous, the view is ridiculously nice. The service is immaculate; servers are precise and polite without coming off as stuffy. The food is artwork, and the tasting menus seem to be well thought out in terms of a cohesive style. I took a platonic friend as my guest, but would absolutely love to take a date at some point as the romantic feel of the restaurant is on point. All in all a great night, and fairly affordable for what you get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ajperezDined on 9/19/2014The food & service exceeded our expectation. We were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary & will be back. The responsive valet system was very cool.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW!DieHardFoodieVIPDined on 9/19/2014By far, the best restaurant I have ever been to. Not only was the food wonderful, the service was just amazing. The staff, particularly Michael & Xavier, provided such great customer service and anticipated your needs; further, they weren't pretentious. The view was breathtaking and the live piano music was very pleasant. It was truly a wonderful experience. Everything from the Lemon Fennel Sourdough dinner roll to the to-die-for Sea Bass...it was just simply amazing. This is definitely 2 thumbs up. I can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unparalleled serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/18/2014Once again, impeccable service, great wine, delicious food. What we have come to expect and we were far from disappointed. A memorable night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Experiencemorganpaige333Dined on 9/18/2014Canlis is not just wonderful food, it is an amazing dining experience. The views of Lake Union only compliment the experience. We had the Chef's tasking menu with the Sommelier wine pairings. Every dish was as beautiful and special as it was delicious. The service was impeccable. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Seattle's Best Hands DownDrawmarkVIPDined on 9/16/2014Canlis never fails to impress, the tradition, the architecture, the service and the food. Sure it will set you back a pretty penny, but I've spent nearly as much at lesser restaurants around the world. There are many fine restaurants in Seattle, with inventive chefs, nice rooms and good service, but none reach Canlis' level on all counts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special EveningMattDined on 9/13/2014We were here to thank and celebrate my mother-in-law for graciously allowing us to live with her over the summer during our remodel. This was my third time at Canlis and every visit has been exceptional from top to bottom.Special Features:
- We would have put a 3.5 starsElouneDined on 9/12/2014The quality/ price ratio is disappointing. The halibut was overcooked thus dry. Tartare has been made 'au couteau' which is the good way but it should have been longer thiner piece rather than cubs. We heard and read lots of good reviews so we have been disapointed.Special Features:
- AmazingSLandMLDined on 9/12/2014This was the best dining experience my husband and I have ever had. It was our wedding anniversary and the staff made it so special. The food was amazing and we had a wonderful view of the moon rising over Lake Union. This will become a yearly tradition.Special Features:
- Good or Great?FLLovetoEatDined on 9/11/2014Really good food, but different recipes and service from the Canlis in San Francisco many years ago, which was outstanding.Special Features:
- Canlis is amazing!!MarciaDined on 9/10/2014We dined at Canlis for my mother's 94th Birthday and it was the most amazing experience we could have asked for! The service, food, and ambiance were all way above and beyond anything imaginable. We were especially thrilled with the service. Not only did they pay special attention to our guests with allergies, but they were extremely sensitive to our vegetarian needs. The appetizers were a lovely addition as were the little meringues and chocolate bars after dinner. Thank you, Canlis for making my Seattle native mother's 94th Birthday dinner so memorable and exquisite for all of us.Special Features:
- first anniversary dinner dateavgjoeDined on 9/6/2014incredible, if not overwhelming wine list. landed on an excellent bottle with some assistance. wife and i both went with four course option and loved each of our courses. service was outstanding and the live pianist was the cherry on top of an amazing evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeattleNativeDined on 9/6/2014Lovely innovative dinner with the best service and view in town!!Special Features:
- Best in classPapaDined on 9/5/2014I have given maybe 2 (5) star ratings in the last few years. Food was wonderful and service inpecable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Proposal!Newguy1047Dined on 9/2/2014I surprised my girlfriend with a special night out. She had no idea we were going to dinner at Canlis. The service was excellent and our table was great, facing out over Lake Union. Our food was perfect and they brought out the engagement ring in a special silver platter which she had to lift the cover to find her prize. This was one of the best dinner experiences I have ever had. Thanks CanlisSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic eleganceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/2/2014Staff welcomed us to their "home". Food, service, atmosphere and attention to detail were all five star. We were a party of nine and all felt the same way!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favoritedavequickDined on 8/30/2014We love treating ourselves here. Wagyu steak, the amazing prawn sauce along with the sourdough made on site, etc. And as usual the wonderful desserts. All of their menu is wonderful and their service impeccable. Thanks again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best place in SeattleOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014We will always go to Canlis for special occasions. the service and food are outstanding and we can never figure out how they know our car when it is time to leave.Special Features:
- Seattle has a gem!LuciDined on 8/29/2014We had a wonderful experience at Canlis. We chose the wine pairing menu which was extremely good and although we don't remember how we got back to the hotel, we do remember the dining experience itself!! LOL The service was good and personal and the view of Seattle was fabulous!! We, no doubt, will return!Special Features:
- gooddavidhagDined on 8/29/2014a good dining experience, if visiting Seattle an iconSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the Price!LuvToEatDined on 8/29/2014Canlis was fantastic and well worth the price! Service was excellent as well as the wine pairings! I highly recommend the Duck for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful experienceEastSideFoodieDined on 8/29/2014A perfect evening, the service flawless and enjoyable, professional but fun, not stuffy. The food was like eating art. Very interesting combinations, gorgeous presentation. So glad we chose Canlis for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service!GoodEatsDined on 8/28/2014Piano was too loud. Muffle piano, screen might help or softer, different repertoire.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nearly Flawlessthe1andonlyHoovDined on 8/28/2014My wife and I visited Canlis for our 11th year anniversary. We'd never dined here prior, so we were unsure of what to expect. Thankfully, nearly everything about the food, service and ambiance made for a flawless evening. The unique and unhurried atmosphere coupled with the warm and friendly wait staff was impeccable, and the food....well, there are no complaints. All four courses were perfectly prepared and presented, and in between each course were small, special servings to whet the appetite. After only one visit, Canlis has undoubtedly become a new anniversary tradition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingAlwayshungryVIPDined on 8/27/2014Service, food, ambiance and view. Simply outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/25/2014Nice view, nice service, food was very overpriced and nothing specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerTA12Dined on 8/22/2014Six of us dined at Canlis for my wife's sixtieth birthday celebration. Everything was great and especially the staff were very accommodating. We have dined at Canlis in the past and it seems that the menu was a bit more limited this time. That said, there was something good for everyone and everything was prepared perfectly. It is an expensive restaurant but I think that everyone knows that before they go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowMadDogLikes2EatDined on 8/22/2014One of the best restaurant experiences in my life. I had the 4 course meal and my wife the 3 course. Halibut and beef Waygu were are main dishes. Both exceptional. Service us fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just AveragedatenightDined on 8/22/2014While I would say the service and food were good, for these prices I was expecting outstanding. Nothing stood out other than the view. I had the Canlis salad and halibut. My husband had the oysters, steak and fries. We were only offered the 3 - 4 course menu for a fixed price. It came with a lot of explaining even though we made it clear we wanted to order a la carte. We were told it was the same menu. One problem, there were no prices on it. We were finally given the a la carte menu. We also had the Rombauer Chardonnay. It was $50 more expensive that at the restaurant we went to the previous week. That's fine if the service is spectacular but it just wasn't.Special Features:
- Amazing!LookinupDined on 8/21/2014This was our first time at Canlis. The service, staff, food, wine, and view are exceptional. We have discovered another Seattle gem and will be back again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Institution, the Like Space NeedleCoastHuggerDined on 8/21/2014Canlis is Seattle's most famous "expensive" restaurant, and what it does, it mostly does very well. Food is top quality, and almost always cooked right. (One of our party ordered a medium fillet mignon, and felt it was cooked a bit too far. But a medium rare fillet mignon was perfect, and in both cases the meat was excellent.) It is a steakhouse, so vegetarians have few options. Canlis is legendary for its service, but we were disappointed. A glass of wine with an entree did not arrive, and we literally had to waive twice at waiters who were engrossed with their phones. Much of the trade at Canlis is obviously "special occasion" traffic, with all that means. The lake view is spectacular. Oh, yes, and there is a dress code!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2014Beautiful food, incredible wine pairings. This was the most memorable meal I've ever had. Bravo!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.