2576 Aurora Ave N
Seattle, WA 98109Neighborhood:
NorthwestPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.canlis.com/
- Phone: 2062833313x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - close, Saturday: 5:00pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Northwest
- Executive Chef: Jason Franey
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wine
- Entertainment: Canlis believes in supporting real artists and live music. The evening is accompanied by live piano music from a 1920 Steinway Grand.
- Special Events: SPECIAL REQUESTS: Please call the reservationist directly to place any special orders or floral arrangements.
A word from Canlis
This is a place where you feel welcomed. Run by the Canlis family, Canlis is the Pacific Northwest's most celebrated restaurant, winner of fourteen consecutive Wine Spectator Grand Awards and three time James Beard runner up for best service in the country. Voted Most Romantic, Best View, Best Service, Best Design, Top Wine List and Wine Service, Washington Family Business of the year, and Best Overall Restaurant. At Canlis we are learners, and after 60 years of serving Seattle, we believe we're just beginning to get things right. We look forward to meeting you. For more information, we invite you to www.canlis.comContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Canlis - Best Restaurants in Queen Anne ›
Canlis reviews from OpenTable diners
277 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (250)scenic view (237)romantic (213)notable wine list (198)fit for foodies (179)neighborhood gem (32)hot spot (24)good for groups (17)late-night find (12)vibrant bar scene (7)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/25/2014Nice view, nice service, food was very overpriced and nothing specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerTA12Dined on 8/22/2014Six of us dined at Canlis for my wife's sixtieth birthday celebration. Everything was great and especially the staff were very accommodating. We have dined at Canlis in the past and it seems that the menu was a bit more limited this time. That said, there was something good for everyone and everything was prepared perfectly. It is an expensive restaurant but I think that everyone knows that before they go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowMadDogLikes2EatDined on 8/22/2014One of the best restaurant experiences in my life. I had the 4 course meal and my wife the 3 course. Halibut and beef Waygu were are main dishes. Both exceptional. Service us fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just AveragedatenightDined on 8/22/2014While I would say the service and food were good, for these prices I was expecting outstanding. Nothing stood out other than the view. I had the Canlis salad and halibut. My husband had the oysters, steak and fries. We were only offered the 3 - 4 course menu for a fixed price. It came with a lot of explaining even though we made it clear we wanted to order a la carte. We were told it was the same menu. One problem, there were no prices on it. We were finally given the a la carte menu. We also had the Rombauer Chardonnay. It was $50 more expensive that at the restaurant we went to the previous week. That's fine if the service is spectacular but it just wasn't.Special Features:
- Amazing!LookinupDined on 8/21/2014This was our first time at Canlis. The service, staff, food, wine, and view are exceptional. We have discovered another Seattle gem and will be back again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Institution, the Like Space NeedleCoastHuggerDined on 8/21/2014Canlis is Seattle's most famous "expensive" restaurant, and what it does, it mostly does very well. Food is top quality, and almost always cooked right. (One of our party ordered a medium fillet mignon, and felt it was cooked a bit too far. But a medium rare fillet mignon was perfect, and in both cases the meat was excellent.) It is a steakhouse, so vegetarians have few options. Canlis is legendary for its service, but we were disappointed. A glass of wine with an entree did not arrive, and we literally had to waive twice at waiters who were engrossed with their phones. Much of the trade at Canlis is obviously "special occasion" traffic, with all that means. The lake view is spectacular. Oh, yes, and there is a dress code!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2014Beautiful food, incredible wine pairings. This was the most memorable meal I've ever had. Bravo!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MBP9563Dined on 8/20/2014This is a one of a kind place...phenomenal food , service and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/19/2014Outstanding food and atmosphere for a special occasion, like a birthday or an anniversary. This is a top notch restaurant, with super, polite waiters, comfortable seats and tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/19/2014We eat out a lot,almost every night. When we travel, we always enjoy at least one or two Michelin starred restaurants so we have some experience in fine dining. Our evening at Canlis was one of the most memorable meals we have ever had. Everything was perfect! While the food was amazing, the service was also impeccable. Perfect is the best word for Canlis!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014service, food, ambience all outstanding. Truly a unique dining experience. One of the best meals I have ever had. I will definitely come back and greatly look forward to my next evening at Canlis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A consistent delight, as expected.EastsideFoodieDined on 8/18/2014I went to Canlis with my daughter for a proper sendoff before she leaves for college several states away. As expected, Canlis delivered excellence in all respects - an event to remember rather than just a fine meal. The wait staff was highly knowledgeable, professional and discrete without being stuffy. The meal was a wonderful mixture of Canlis traditions, updated classics and new twists, all beautifully presented and served. The soufflé was a perfect combination of flavor and lightness. Of course, this level of elegance comes at a dear price. But for special occasions and creating memories, Canlis delivers and is well worth the investment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must Go!BrandyDined on 8/14/2014Restaurant staff are so informative, friendly and professional. The fillet mignon was AMAZING. Presentation of appetizers, main course and dessert was beautiful, true works of art that delight the palate. Great views of the Seattle skyscape, very cool, sophisticated setting. A must go if you are in Seattle!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a delight!EntrecoteDined on 8/14/2014As always, we thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Canlis. From the minute we drove into the portico, until we exited the driveway, we were treated as honored guests. We were welcomed and shown to our table immediately - no waiting. The food, of course, was fabulous!! I had the Foie Gras, a terrine, with cherries and pistachios and black pepper brioche as my first course. Not only was it delectable, but it was beautiful. I highly recommend it! The view is ever changing and it's fun to watch the boats and float planes. It was a lovely evening!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Striving to be the ultimateRossMcKVIPDined on 8/13/2014Canlis is a superb, fascinating, expensive, and memorable restaurant. It's frozen in time, the mid-20th century, preserving everything that was actually right. Male guests should wear jackets. Women should be dressed up. Informality does not occur. The wait staff is formal, albeit fairly young, and incredibly precise. They iron the table cloths before every use, in situ. Canlis uses a prix fixe approach, $80-125, depending on the number of courses. And it's all delicious. Food you savor in the mind and on the palate. I loved the prawns with vermouth, lime, and garlic, and the Gran Marnier souffle is among the best I've had. The wine list is spectacular. So is the view. Very highly recommended for those special events to remember.Special Features:
- dinner with friendKirklandnaplesVIPDined on 8/13/2014The only way to really articulate how wonderful this experience was is to add 5 more stars at the top - and then more! The excellent customer service starts on the phone and doesn't stop until the valet has brought your car and you drive away. Even then it continues...we were called the next day to get our address in order that they may mail a recipe card as we had requested! Our out of town friend is already looking forward to her next trip to Seattle - and has Canlis on her "absolutely must do" list....thanks to all!Special Features:
- A Spectacular AnniversaryChewandswallowDined on 8/12/2014We had the tasting menu with wine pairing. It was such an adventure. It was a bit heavy on the seafood but still fantastic. Everyone was so friendly and knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/11/2014I do not remember a more spectacular view, service, and delicious dinner. The tasting menu was exquisite. The fluke with strawberry sauce was subtle and deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic and TimelessAgentCheeseDined on 8/9/2014I'll keep this nice and short. If you want to take your significant other to the most romantic restaurant in town, look no further than Canlis. This will be a yearly outing for my wife and I to celebrate our marriage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing night!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014My husband and I went here for our anniversary and it better than we could have imagined. Beautiful place! Incredible food! Amazing service! We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveningrhodabeDined on 8/9/2014Every bite was special, but my favorites of the evening were the Nemean Lion cocktail and the perfectly medium rare lamb crusted with herbs and brioche crumbs. My companion raved about her Wagyu New York steak and truffle fries. Canlis is reliably impressive--not necessarily the most unusual or trendy food, but that is not my goal, either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service very good goodhortonsdadDined on 8/8/2014Had a special dinner here last weekend. As always service was awesome. Views are awesome. Didn't get the tasting menu (which may have been a mistake). Starters were excellent. However, the main course was only OK. The shredded potatoes (expensive hash brown) and the lamb were underwhelming. The mushroom side that we usually love was too salty. Thankfully, the deserts were great. As always the wine selection is tops. Still a great dining experience with the noted caveats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2014Amazing food, service, view, and atmosphere. Could not have asked for a better anniversary dinner. Thanks for make it awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the Canlis of oldOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/7/2014While the service was vintage Canlis, the food was not. Everything was overly salty, the filet which was order medium well was still "mooing", and overall very unmemorable. Went there for a special occasion, as we had heard it was once again the best restaurant in Seattle - will not be going back.
- localdinerVIPDined on 8/7/2014have been there before and loved it. had the tasting menu this time and do not recommend it at all. several dishes were so sweet we had to send them back. pork was overcooked. very disappointing.
- FitzDined on 8/6/2014We went for the world class wine list, but we were won over by the food. If you haven't eaten at Canlis, put it on your list. Although it has been around forever, it has continued to move with the times. Every bite of the prix fixe meal was a bit of heaven. The sommelier did a nice job of wine pairing for our four course meal. The wine, the food, the ambience made a night to remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best everOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/5/2014This is one of the best restaurants we have ever dined at...impeccable service, outstanding wine list and perfect food.Special Features:
- Perfect anniversary spot...ClintBDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I recently celebrated our 5 year anniversary at Canlis, and I must say we were blown away. Everything about the restaurant is beautiful from the ambiance and food to the stunning view of Lake Union. We both ordered the tasting menu, and the kitchen was very accommodating of our dietary restrictions. The courses were all visually gorgeous, and equally delicious. Our favorite was the black cod in lobster broth. After the dessert course we were treated to some port, coffee, and tasty house-made macarons which were presented in a very neat wooden box. To top off the night, our car was waiting for us before we even walked out the door. These folks know food, and they know service even better. I can't recommend Canlis highly enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CanlisOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014Attentive, engaging without being intrusive, the staff was top notch. Food was outstanding. We had a superb anniversary dinner!Special Features:
- Fabulous BirthdayjoebDined on 8/1/2014We celebrated my wife's 50th birthday with our two adult children and their spouses and had a memorable experience. The food was outstanding and so was the service. We arrived early for our 7:30 pm reservation and were seated almost immediately at a table next to the window. Of the six of us, I was the only person who had been to Canlis before. We were all dazzled by the entire experience. The best dining experience of my life and I am comparing to the likes of Ruth's Chris, the Metropolitan Grill, Daniel's Broiler, El Gaucho and Morton's. Can't wait to go again.Special Features:
- Great ambiencesjlmVIPDined on 8/1/2014Most of the people at tables surrounding ours had never been to Canlis before and were celebrating an anniversary or birthday. It's that kind of restaurant. The view overlooking the lake and the fussy service say "special occasion." When we left the restaurant, our valet-parked car was waiting for us at the door. On the other hand, if a souffle dessert takes 1/2 hr, guests should be told about it before they receive the dessert menu. Similarly, if a chicken dish takes one hour to prepare, guests should be told about it when they first sit down and are discussing water and cocktails, etc. The food is good but not exceptional. We had the lamb and the salmon. $20 corkage fee is very reasonable. Would return only for a business dinner.Special Features:
- Great food, indifferent servicetravellibDined on 7/31/2014We loved Canlis prior to this visit--we were big fans. Yes, I used the word, "were." Our dinner experience on Thursday evening changed our opinion of the restaurant. We had a reservation--it was our 32nd wedding anniversary, which was acknowledged when we arrived and never again. The food was fabulous. The service, particularly the service from our waiter, was slow to the point of indifference. Neighboring tables seemed to get him as a charming, gracious guy. We did not see this side of him--no checking in, seeing if we wanted a drink, how's the food. You can have fantastic food, but the Canlis experience is what keeps people coming back, or in our case, not.Special Features:
- Finest RestauranttomcatDined on 7/31/2014Canlis is the finest restaurant without a doubt. Love the live piano but a bit overpowering. Great times with good friends.Special Features:
- A Seattle Gem Worth the $$$$ BillSeaUrbanDined on 7/30/2014A Seattle gem for over 65 years that feels contemporary and timeless. From the moment you pull into the driveway, you’re treated like a celebrity. The food and wine are some of the best in Washington. Make no mistake this is an experience and that comes with an expensive price tag, but Canlis more than delivers on every dimension, so you’ll happily pay the bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Canlis is A OneOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/30/2014My wife and I have been blesses to travel extensively and dine in fabulous and not so great restaurants coast to coast and abroad. This was our first trip to Canlis but will most definitely not be our last. We are not big eaters so we selected the 3 course meal which began with the Canlis salad a 50 year old family salad that was great. We then each selected a different cut of Wagu beef for steaks and they were the best steaks we've ever eaten. The soufflés at the end were more than we could eat but delicious. Oh, and I forgot the twice baked potato served in a Lodge round crock that was amazing. I know the superlatives sound thick here but truly this is a 6 star dinning experience!Special Features:
- A 'mixed' dining experienceTheCharles1688Dined on 7/29/2014Most cheerful and friendly staff welcomed us. Plate presentation were outstanding. Food quality and taste was most inconsistent?! From spectacular to borderline terrible!! The Foie Gras was way too salty and almost un-palettable! Same applied to the bread crust. Wagyu striploin was border-line disaster. Perfectly cooked but quality of the cut was questionable. Part was tough and gristly. Knife friendly part was flavorful & tender though. Good dishes include the Prawns. Nicely textured, tasty and a delight to eat. Winning dish was the Souffle. This superb creation must be the lightest, fluffiest and tastiest Souffle outside of France! An interesting dining experience made memorable not by the food or view but the superlatively service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing view and wonderful service65ClassicDined on 7/29/2014The food and wine were excellent and delicious as well, but it's just hard to top the service and the view. Make sure you get directions before you go, however, as one wrong turn can set you back and the GPS may be responsible for that wrong turn (as was the case with me.)Special Features:
- leahleahDined on 7/28/2014The entire staff at Canlis went above & beyond; making us feel as if the world revolved around only us. It was my mama's last night in town & we endulged in the chef's tasting menu & accompanying wine pairing. It was the single, most expensive/exorbitant meal either of us has ever had...& it was worth every penny! Everyone was extremely well versed on all aspects of the menu, fluently introducing each course. The service was impeccable, pianist classic & modern, & the food was amazing. I assure you will never think of cod the same way after you've had it at Canlis. Canlis has been on my foodie bucket list for a long time & the entire experience was more than I could've hoped to enjoy. I cannot thank them enough for such a wonderful evening!Special Features:
- Best in townMarkGVIPDined on 7/25/2014Still the best restaurant in all of Seattle. Food and service can't be beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Open Table reservation issue!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/24/2014I booked a reservation for Thursday July 24th on Open Table Reservations yet Canlis received my reservation for the FOLLOWING Thursday July 31st. They were booked solid that night upon my arrival. This was a VERY special occasion, it was my wife's birthday. Thanks for Canlis, they were able to find us a seat after about a 45 minute wait. I reviewed my Open Table reservation confirmation email and it was correct for dinner July 24th, however the Canlis email confirming a reservation was for Thursday July 31st! Clearly this was a failure on Open Table's behalf therefor I will NEVER be using Open Table's on-line reservation process EVER again. I will call every reservation I make in the future to avoid using Open Table's mis-managed service.Special Features: