Canela Bistro Bar
2272 Market Street
San Francisco, CA 94114Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $31 to $50
Canela Bistro Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.canelasf.com/
- Phone: (415) 552-3000
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Latin / Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Mat Schuster
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Gluten-free Menu, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: For special events please contact Canela's General Manager at 415-552-3000.
- Cross Street: Noe St.
- Public Transit: One block from Castro or Church Muni stations (K, L, M, J, T) Also two blocks from Noe and Duboce station for N. Multiple buses (22, 24, 23) run within a block distance of Canela.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Public parking lot on the same block.
A word from Canela Bistro Bar
We invite everybody to enjoy our Spanish inspired cuisine, made with the best and most natural ingredients available. Mat Schuster, Canela’s executive chef, has dedicated his life to create sophisticated and unforgettable flavors using only top of the line products. Canela also offers unique wines from Spain and California. Whether you want to have a formal dinner, a "tapa" or small plate with a glass of wine or a delicious coffee with one of our signature desserts, come to Canela and be assured that you will find what you are looking for.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Canela Bistro Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
90 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (60)fit for foodies (60)romantic (41)special occasion (26)good for groups (23)notable wine list (23)hot spot (21)late-night find (9)great for brunch (7)great for lunch (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Think Spain Not MexicoSFCAVIPDined on 11/23/2014Too many folks think of Mexican food when they hear the word Spanish food. The food of Spain has no resemblance at all to that of Mexico. Spanish food is food that is more refined and grown-up. I always have the gambas, shrimp in a mildly spicy sauce served with a wonderful La Brea white bread. My other favorite are the coquettes, a fried ball of bechemel sauce with bits of ham, the two textures make for a nice contrast. Many of the items can be had as a tapas, small portions, or entree size, larger portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely neighborhood gemKenHendSFDined on 11/19/2014A lovely neighborhood gem with delicious Spanish tapas and good wines. Nice decor and friendly servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and winePrincetonVIPDined on 11/15/2014Nice ambiance, delicious food (hard to chose, everything looked amazing), and a nice Rioja. Little bit pricy (at almost 200$ for two with wine and tip). The small dishes add up fast and the wine is good but a bit overpriced. Server was a point of criticism. We clearly we enjoying ourselves, talking and taking our time and after the 4th time she came by to ask in a short time, felt rush to order something. Could be a bad coincident, but there were two groups of at least 10 sequentially close to us. That is too large for a place this size. Way to noisy. The 'energetic' means one more level. Too much noise.I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at this restaurant.EretiredVIPDined on 11/12/2014Like being in Spain once again; Wonderful meal. The food was inspiring. My wife and I will definitely come backSpecial Features:
- Ambiance sells this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/7/2014Went here for a romantic dinner with my husband. Loved the decor, vibe and service. Food was just OK. Decent but not really memorable in any way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/5/2014Had a great night here celebrating my friends 40th birthday. Sweet place. Great food and personal. Lovely staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- stephDined on 10/25/2014I have been to Canela a few times now, and have never been disappointed with the food. They had daily specials both times I have been, but the most popular items were gone by the time we arrived (reservations at 8pm and 8:30pm). The Chef came out to the table to see how everything was, he seemed to genuinely care about the product he was serving and wanted to make the most of the dining experience for the guests. You could definitely take the love in his cooking! It was a fantastic meal and I am sure to be back again.
- SFrdBikerDined on 10/25/2014Food was great, but a bit overpriced for small portions.Special Features:
- garyVIPDined on 10/21/2014been twice and it's consistently good food - best in the Castro!Special Features:
- Simply the best!JaybellanDined on 10/21/2014What can I say it's my favorite restaurant. Each time I return the croquettes are even better than I remember. The atmosphere is fun, relaxed and intimate. The decor is classy:pretty but subtle. The service is super friendly and helpful. I love that Matt , the owner/chef comes and checks on the customers- it makes you feel special. It never fails to impress anyone I bring. Thanks Matt and thanks Canela!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious as always….OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/18/2014… and the new waiter was great. Also loved the new chocolate dessert! It is always a pleasure to return to Canela.Special Features:
- Good addition to the hoodfoodforthoughtVIPDined on 10/10/2014Good food, very authentic, very helpful wait staff. My only criticism is that the restaurant was hot.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceSaraDined on 10/2/2014Had a fantastic meal and exceptional service. Definitely looking forward to coming back with my husband soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemLRReviewsVIPDined on 9/19/2014The title says it all, We are are from Palm Springs and look forwared to visiting San Francisco and make a Reservation at Canela. The food is outstanding a great find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not consistentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014I have been there 3 times now, the food seems to be really good one night but not the next time. It's frustrating to say the least. I hope that the chef can pull his team together. The place was not that busy on my last visit there were several open tables. I enjoyed my guest so that part of the evening was awesome.
- Great Food, Great AmbianceFrench4MeDined on 9/10/2014Canela Bistro Bar is a fantastic neighborhood bistro with wonderful ambiance and superb food. In addition to its standard menu, Canela offers a Daily Specials and Features menu, and I selected all, but my dessert, from the Specials Menu. Each course was superb, perfectly seasoned and prepared, the ingredients fresh and delightful, and each bite a taste sensation. The Bistro also offers a good selection of Spanish wines which truly compliment the menu offerings. The only negative was the quality of service. As my meal drew to an end, my server forgot about me in preference to newly arrived guests, and as a result my dessert arrived after I had finished my coffee. Had I waited for my dessert to arrive, my coffee would have gone cold.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food From SpainSFCAVIPDined on 8/31/2014The quality of the food at Canela is consistent and good. The rabbit and seafood paella are superb. My favorite is the seafood paella. I have never taken a friend there that they did not like the food. Service is friendly.Special Features:
- Vibrant and robustLuluVIPDined on 8/29/2014Relaxed but sophisticated ambiance, friendly staff. The room got full on a Friday eve but not too noisy to talk. Anchovy flatbread. Duck meatballs. Choc almond cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!New2SFDined on 8/29/2014We had never had Spanish tapas before and the wait staff was helpful to offer suggestions. All the food was delicious, the sangria was very good, and the atmosphere was nice for a quiet, romantic dinner for 2. We will definitely go back and save some room for dessert this time!Special Features:
- well-thought out flavor combos!michaelbaaronDined on 8/26/2014Canela is a solid tapas experience. Great ambiance, excellent and original flavor combos and many standard tapas (boquerones, etc.), combined with a solid Spanish wine menu. Mel was our waitress, and she was delightful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Canella Great as usualAcme2Dined on 8/22/2014Great spot love the restaurant, I have to say the I prefer when Rachel to serve us, because she does an excellent job. The person that served us was fair, came back to the table a couple times. I had to take my partners water because he never offered us any ...8((( and the restaurant was out Rose wine... But the food is so gooooood. The new lamb w couscous great addition to the menu.Special Features:
- Tasty but priceyMissVDined on 8/21/2014The food is really wonderful. And our server gets points for really knowing the wine list well. I found the price tag to be a little high for what we got, but that didn't make me regret going. It's just not going to be somewhere I go often. Highly recommend the wild boar stuffed peppers!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good unusual foodHadleyDined on 8/19/2014We had a very nice dinner with another couple at Canela last night. The menu had a large variety of dishes, vegetable, seafood, and meat, both small dishes and entrees, so we tried 6 different dishes. They ranged from good to excellent and included prawns, clams, lamb, zucchini, chicken, and a salad. I am loath to recommend Canela because I do not want it to become overly popular and difficult to get into!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great decor!DineroutVIPDined on 8/19/2014Beautiful setting. The dishes were hit or miss. Meatballs and shrimpe were fantastic, ink squid and salad just okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnhappycamperVIPDined on 8/17/2014Food and service were both a little off this time at brunch. It took 35-40 minutes for the first tapas plate to arrive. Patatas bravas were absolutely swimming in a thick brown sauce, topped off with even more sauce (that resembled remoulade). Absoltely swimming in sauce and soggy to boot. Tortilla espanola came late (and last) and was warm - evidently it had just been made before serving... Sandwiches were very good however.
- Great experienceLovetoeatDined on 8/16/2014My husband and I really enjoyed our dinner - everything from the service to the food was excellent! For the two of us we ordered 5 tapas which was a perfect amount - the portions are quite good tapas. The churros as other have indicated were delicious and a must have. Canela will definitely be on our list to visit again.Special Features:
- Great experiencePleasantVIPDined on 8/8/2014Canela is a wonderful restaurant. The food was excellent, from a delicious flatbread crostini with ham and arugula, to a lovely salad with shaved vegetable, then hearty, but delicate meatballs and pork, to two scrumptious desserts. The atmosphere is warms and welcoming.Special Features:
- Lacks flavorcedricbDined on 8/8/2014Obviously the restaurant focuses a lot on using fancy ingredients and creating good-looking dishes, but the flavors are just not there. The calamari cooked in their ink were flat, and the sauce/seasoning of the gambas was quite strange. The flatbreads were Ok, and the savior of my dinner was the pepper stuffed with wild boar. Sangria was OK but not great. The restaurant has potential but needs to shift the focus from presentation to flavors. Tapas are simple and small dishes, they are not supposed to look good but to taste good. Service and ambience were both good.
- Its a mixed bag.MeghaDined on 8/7/2014Went here twice. The first visit was pretty ok. The vegetarian in the group felt a bit of cheese overload. The portion sizes are tiny :( So the meal overall becomes very pricey although you get to try the different tapas. Ate the gambino prawn tapas which was ok. Also the red pepper veggie tapas which was delicious but can be quite cheesy. Somehow couldnt taste the roasted peppers at all. Also ordered the lamb kebabs which were well cooked but underseasoned. This dish was a mild success in the group. We were still left hungry, especially the veggie in the group. Except salad, nothing much for veggies here. No Entree dish at all :( The Lamb ribblets looked mouth watering but were so bland, underseasoned and oily.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Spanish Gem in the CastroOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/6/2014Canela has become my go-to spot for a special meal in my neighborhood. The food is fantastic, the ambience is great (especially since their remodel), and the service is gracious but not intrusive. Chef Mat routinely makes the rounds in his genuine, friendly way, to make sure that guests are having a great meal.Special Features:
- great spotDoctorWho1VIPDined on 8/5/2014Had a terrific dinner at Canela - outstanding selection of tapas and treats, with a very interesting wine list. Cozy, but not cramped, and very accomodating service. I look forward to returning there soon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/3/2014Great atmosphere, friendly staff, amazing food- absolutely loved it! The best tapas and paella around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas for brunch or dinnerworgrlDined on 8/3/2014Love this place. This is the second time I've been there and it's great to go with one or two other people in order to share as many tapas as possible. My favorites are the mambas, tortilla and croquettes. The only thing I'd improve is the coffee service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapas, good winepatronDined on 8/2/2014Our party of 5 had a lovely 2-1/2 hour dinner Satrurday night, with lots of excellent tapas and Spanish wine. Service was pleadant and not at all rushed, and the noise was low enough to allow us all to participate in our conversation and laughter. (perhaps by modern standards this is a noise level lower than moderate). We will definitely go here again.Special Features:
- Great!MikeDined on 8/1/2014Been here a few times and it is equally goo every time. Food and service are amazing. Definitely a keeper.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Canela Bistro reviewBms14Dined on 7/29/2014Didn't know much about Tapas so our Server was very patient and gave suggestions about what to pair with what. The meal was very relaxed and our Server was not hovering but appropriately present when needed. The area we were in was relatively quiet so the conversation was not having to shout at each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 309 reviews are from the Canela Bistro Bar reviews archive.
- Delicious TapasRosieAVIPDined on 7/23/2014This little neighborhood bistro serves surprisingly authentic and delicious tapas! Our waiter suggested a few dishes - the squid, a piquillo de pimento - and we added more. The flatbreads are huge and make a good start to the meal. The servers and host were sooo friendly!Special Features:
- Tapas in The CastroXochiDined on 7/22/2014This was our second time here. Service was warm and friendly. We asked for a table in the back, and were moved with no issues. Our server explained the menu and various options for our group of 4. We shared a lot of different plates. The tapas are authentic and made with fresh ingredients. We loved the coca flatbread with squash and blue cheese. We even ordered a 2nd one with jam and peaches. The sangria was very good as well. The ambiance is modern and comfortable. It's definitely a neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Dinner ExperienceJPFoodieVIPDined on 7/19/2014Had a reservation but waited for 15mins to get seated. I had a better experience during late afternoon/early evening.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid neighborhood spot, good tapasbayareaeaterDined on 7/19/2014Canela is a fun neighborhood restaurant with good food and a trendy ambiance. The Spanish tapas menu is extensive, and various sizing options make this place a good spot for group dining, as the table can order a variety of dishes so that everyone can sample a bit of everything. Service was attentive and helpful.