Canela Bistro Bar
2272 Market Street
San Francisco, CA 94114Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $31 to $50
Canela Bistro Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.canelasf.com/
- Phone: 4155523000x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Latin / Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Mat Schuster
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Gluten-free Menu, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: For special events please contact Canela's General Manager at 415-552-3000.
- Cross Street: Noe St.
- Public Transit: One block from Castro or Church Muni stations (K, L, M, J, T) Also two blocks from Noe and Duboce station for N. Multiple buses (22, 24, 23) run within a block distance of Canela.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Public parking lot on the same block.
A word from Canela Bistro Bar
We invite everybody to enjoy our Spanish inspired cuisine, made with the best and most natural ingredients available. Mat Schuster, Canela’s executive chef, has dedicated his life to create sophisticated and unforgettable flavors using only top of the line products. Canela also offers unique wines from Spain and California. Whether you want to have a formal dinner, a "tapa" or small plate with a glass of wine or a delicious coffee with one of our signature desserts, come to Canela and be assured that you will find what you are looking for.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Canela Bistro Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
107 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (65)fit for foodies (62)romantic (48)special occasion (30)notable wine list (24)good for groups (19)hot spot (19)great for brunch (9)late-night find (7)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- not consistentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014I have been there 3 times now, the food seems to be really good one night but not the next time. It's frustrating to say the least. I hope that the chef can pull his team together. The place was not that busy on my last visit there were several open tables. I enjoyed my guest so that part of the evening was awesome.
- Great Food, Great AmbianceFrench4MeDined on 9/10/2014Canela Bistro Bar is a fantastic neighborhood bistro with wonderful ambiance and superb food. In addition to its standard menu, Canela offers a Daily Specials and Features menu, and I selected all, but my dessert, from the Specials Menu. Each course was superb, perfectly seasoned and prepared, the ingredients fresh and delightful, and each bite a taste sensation. The Bistro also offers a good selection of Spanish wines which truly compliment the menu offerings. The only negative was the quality of service. As my meal drew to an end, my server forgot about me in preference to newly arrived guests, and as a result my dessert arrived after I had finished my coffee. Had I waited for my dessert to arrive, my coffee would have gone cold.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food From SpainSFCAVIPDined on 8/31/2014The quality of the food at Canela is consistent and good. The rabbit and seafood paella are superb. My favorite is the seafood paella. I have never taken a friend there that they did not like the food. Service is friendly.Special Features:
- Vibrant and robustLuluVIPDined on 8/29/2014Relaxed but sophisticated ambiance, friendly staff. The room got full on a Friday eve but not too noisy to talk. Anchovy flatbread. Duck meatballs. Choc almond cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!New2SFDined on 8/29/2014We had never had Spanish tapas before and the wait staff was helpful to offer suggestions. All the food was delicious, the sangria was very good, and the atmosphere was nice for a quiet, romantic dinner for 2. We will definitely go back and save some room for dessert this time!Special Features:
- well-thought out flavor combos!michaelbaaronDined on 8/26/2014Canela is a solid tapas experience. Great ambiance, excellent and original flavor combos and many standard tapas (boquerones, etc.), combined with a solid Spanish wine menu. Mel was our waitress, and she was delightful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Canella Great as usualAcme2Dined on 8/22/2014Great spot love the restaurant, I have to say the I prefer when Rachel to serve us, because she does an excellent job. The person that served us was fair, came back to the table a couple times. I had to take my partners water because he never offered us any ...8((( and the restaurant was out Rose wine... But the food is so gooooood. The new lamb w couscous great addition to the menu.Special Features:
- Tasty but priceyMissVDined on 8/21/2014The food is really wonderful. And our server gets points for really knowing the wine list well. I found the price tag to be a little high for what we got, but that didn't make me regret going. It's just not going to be somewhere I go often. Highly recommend the wild boar stuffed peppers!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good unusual foodHadleyDined on 8/19/2014We had a very nice dinner with another couple at Canela last night. The menu had a large variety of dishes, vegetable, seafood, and meat, both small dishes and entrees, so we tried 6 different dishes. They ranged from good to excellent and included prawns, clams, lamb, zucchini, chicken, and a salad. I am loath to recommend Canela because I do not want it to become overly popular and difficult to get into!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great decor!DineroutVIPDined on 8/19/2014Beautiful setting. The dishes were hit or miss. Meatballs and shrimpe were fantastic, ink squid and salad just okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnhappycamperVIPDined on 8/17/2014Food and service were both a little off this time at brunch. It took 35-40 minutes for the first tapas plate to arrive. Patatas bravas were absolutely swimming in a thick brown sauce, topped off with even more sauce (that resembled remoulade). Absoltely swimming in sauce and soggy to boot. Tortilla espanola came late (and last) and was warm - evidently it had just been made before serving... Sandwiches were very good however.
- Great experienceLovetoeatDined on 8/16/2014My husband and I really enjoyed our dinner - everything from the service to the food was excellent! For the two of us we ordered 5 tapas which was a perfect amount - the portions are quite good tapas. The churros as other have indicated were delicious and a must have. Canela will definitely be on our list to visit again.Special Features:
- Great experiencePleasantVIPDined on 8/8/2014Canela is a wonderful restaurant. The food was excellent, from a delicious flatbread crostini with ham and arugula, to a lovely salad with shaved vegetable, then hearty, but delicate meatballs and pork, to two scrumptious desserts. The atmosphere is warms and welcoming.Special Features:
- Lacks flavorcedricbDined on 8/8/2014Obviously the restaurant focuses a lot on using fancy ingredients and creating good-looking dishes, but the flavors are just not there. The calamari cooked in their ink were flat, and the sauce/seasoning of the gambas was quite strange. The flatbreads were Ok, and the savior of my dinner was the pepper stuffed with wild boar. Sangria was OK but not great. The restaurant has potential but needs to shift the focus from presentation to flavors. Tapas are simple and small dishes, they are not supposed to look good but to taste good. Service and ambience were both good.
- Its a mixed bag.MeghaDined on 8/7/2014Went here twice. The first visit was pretty ok. The vegetarian in the group felt a bit of cheese overload. The portion sizes are tiny :( So the meal overall becomes very pricey although you get to try the different tapas. Ate the gambino prawn tapas which was ok. Also the red pepper veggie tapas which was delicious but can be quite cheesy. Somehow couldnt taste the roasted peppers at all. Also ordered the lamb kebabs which were well cooked but underseasoned. This dish was a mild success in the group. We were still left hungry, especially the veggie in the group. Except salad, nothing much for veggies here. No Entree dish at all :( The Lamb ribblets looked mouth watering but were so bland, underseasoned and oily.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Spanish Gem in the CastroOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/6/2014Canela has become my go-to spot for a special meal in my neighborhood. The food is fantastic, the ambience is great (especially since their remodel), and the service is gracious but not intrusive. Chef Mat routinely makes the rounds in his genuine, friendly way, to make sure that guests are having a great meal.Special Features:
- great spotDoctorWho1VIPDined on 8/5/2014Had a terrific dinner at Canela - outstanding selection of tapas and treats, with a very interesting wine list. Cozy, but not cramped, and very accomodating service. I look forward to returning there soon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/3/2014Great atmosphere, friendly staff, amazing food- absolutely loved it! The best tapas and paella around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas for brunch or dinnerworgrlDined on 8/3/2014Love this place. This is the second time I've been there and it's great to go with one or two other people in order to share as many tapas as possible. My favorites are the mambas, tortilla and croquettes. The only thing I'd improve is the coffee service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapas, good winepatronDined on 8/2/2014Our party of 5 had a lovely 2-1/2 hour dinner Satrurday night, with lots of excellent tapas and Spanish wine. Service was pleadant and not at all rushed, and the noise was low enough to allow us all to participate in our conversation and laughter. (perhaps by modern standards this is a noise level lower than moderate). We will definitely go here again.Special Features:
- Great!MikeDined on 8/1/2014Been here a few times and it is equally goo every time. Food and service are amazing. Definitely a keeper.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Canela Bistro reviewBms14Dined on 7/29/2014Didn't know much about Tapas so our Server was very patient and gave suggestions about what to pair with what. The meal was very relaxed and our Server was not hovering but appropriately present when needed. The area we were in was relatively quiet so the conversation was not having to shout at each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious TapasRosieAVIPDined on 7/23/2014This little neighborhood bistro serves surprisingly authentic and delicious tapas! Our waiter suggested a few dishes - the squid, a piquillo de pimento - and we added more. The flatbreads are huge and make a good start to the meal. The servers and host were sooo friendly!Special Features:
- Tapas in The CastroXochiDined on 7/22/2014This was our second time here. Service was warm and friendly. We asked for a table in the back, and were moved with no issues. Our server explained the menu and various options for our group of 4. We shared a lot of different plates. The tapas are authentic and made with fresh ingredients. We loved the coca flatbread with squash and blue cheese. We even ordered a 2nd one with jam and peaches. The sangria was very good as well. The ambiance is modern and comfortable. It's definitely a neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Dinner ExperienceJPFoodieVIPDined on 7/19/2014Had a reservation but waited for 15mins to get seated. I had a better experience during late afternoon/early evening.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid neighborhood spot, good tapasbayareaeaterDined on 7/19/2014Canela is a fun neighborhood restaurant with good food and a trendy ambiance. The Spanish tapas menu is extensive, and various sizing options make this place a good spot for group dining, as the table can order a variety of dishes so that everyone can sample a bit of everything. Service was attentive and helpful.
- Good, but just that.MaggieDined on 7/12/2014We liked everything we orderd. Everything was rich, and just the right amount to share. There was only ONE thing that blowed us out: the churros. Nice place, nice food, nice wine. Just that simple.
- A little bit of Spain in SFSanneHVIPDined on 7/12/2014Intimimate ambiance, great winelist and good tapas. We especially liked the cava, croquetas de jamon, manchego cheese and lamb skewers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Spanish food outside of Spain!foodiedocDined on 7/10/2014My friend said this is the best Spanish food she's had outside of Spain! I bring out-of-town guests here and it is always a hit. The food is beautifully prepared and the staff is always friendly and attentive. Dinner at Canela Bistro bar really feels like a treat. The space feels intimate but at the same time, with the high ceiling, it feels spacious and relaxing. The decor is clean and very tasteful and, as expected, a little darker than some places...with reds and a darkly stained wooden floor...appropriate for the theme. There is something for everyone's tastes and dishes can be ordered in tapas or entree sizes. I highly recommend Canela's for the terrific food and atmosphere, good value and a consistently wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JMurphyDined on 7/5/2014We ordered five tapas and everything was delicious. Don't miss the churros for dessert. A little pricey, but worth it.Special Features:
- very solid foodhelloVIPDined on 7/5/2014We came to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday with some friends. The food was very nice. the salted peppers were outstanding, as were the meatballs (which were browned to perfection) and fried potatoes (great sauce and soft on the inside crispy on the outside). The flatbread was just ok, the dough ended up being very stiff almost like a hard cracker and the shrimp was ok as well. nothing too special, nice sauce though. The desserts were outstanding, chocolate olive oil cake and the ice cream were fabulous, churros were al title too crispy. Our waitress was outstanding. she knew the menu inside and out and rec great wines. lavender lemonade was a nice non alcoh choice!!! the owner came by to say hello and chatted. very engaging. Bravo!Special Features:
- Elegant Spanish FoodErikaSFVIPDined on 6/26/2014Canela offers excellent Spanish food in a beautiful setting. We had a peach gazpacho that was terrific. We also had some of the best rabbit and monkfish I've ever tasted. The wine list is extensive with many good affordable bottles. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/21/2014Goooooood food. But I thought there were a few too many servers involved. At least 4 different waiters checked on us throughout the meal, a little but too much if you ask me. Good white sangria and small plates though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RecommendationsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014Recommendations given by our waitress was spot on. Everything we tried was delicious! Oh and the churros....wow....melted in your mouth!! They were incredibleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood DiningRandyDined on 6/15/2014Even before seeing the address I felt that the decorative awning must be where Canela Bistro Bar was located. And inside the nicely designed restaurant continued to please the eye as well as the palate. I enjoyed the huevos rotos, pimentos de piquillo, and most especially the dessert of almond cake. It was my first time during the dine about town schedule and well worth the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VHung08VIPDined on 6/14/2014Gambas a bit of a kick but flavors were great overAll.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always AmazingHandsomeCoupleDined on 6/14/2014I have been to here a few times and never been disappointed. The service was great and great winesSpecial Features:
- came in handyrjaywDined on 6/14/2014We were going to the Sui Generis store right across the street and were glad to find this nice tapas place. food was quite good and the people were all very friendly. atmosphere dark, spanish style decor. we had wine, beer, dessert, came to ~100 dollars for two. we were seated a little too close to the next table. they don't have a full bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Father's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/12/2014The wait staff was very attentive, nice and patient with us taking our time deciding what to order. The food was inventive and very tasty. The portions were nice as well. We enjoyed the simplicity of the food and the flavors that were brought out of it, especially the seafood dishes. The cinnamon chocolate ice cream was very intense and a great way to finish off a wonderful meal. My Dad really enjoyed the dining experience. We will be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic spot to take friendsbreadfish82Dined on 6/11/2014or to eat alone. the small plates and larger plates are wonderful to share. The salt cod with anything is always delightful :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.