Candle Cafe West
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
OrganicPrice: $31 to $50
Candle Cafe West
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.candlecafe.com/west
- Phone: (212) 769-8900
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:30 pm
Dinner: Monday thru Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:30pm
Brunch: Satuday - Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Sunday Dinner - 4:00pm - 930pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Vegetarian / Vegan
- Executive Chef: Jorge Pineda & Angel Ramos
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Party Platters are available as well as full service off-site event catering. Including eco-bar service and cocktail parties.
- Cross Street: 89th street
- Public Transit: Both 86 and 104 bus lines will stop along Broadway and 86th
The Subway 1 line stops on 86 and Broadway.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking is available along the side streets. Please pay attention to the parking signs along these streets.
Nearby Parking lots include the following:
Parking Lot 700 is located just off of 86th street between S. Main street and Broadway. It has 21 spots and is open 24 hours Monday- Sunday. Maximum stay is 2 hours.
Lot 665 (87th and Grand) is open Monday- Friday 8am-6pm and is located on 87th street just off of S. Broadway.
A word from Candle Cafe West
Candle Cafe West combines delicious, organic, vegan cuisine with gracious and knowledgeable service. Just as the sister restaurants, Candle Cafe and Candle 79, on the east side have done, Candle Cafe West lovingly crafts “food fresh from farm to table." They also offer an intimate organic wine and eco-cocktail bar. The Candle’s passion is to sustainably create scrumptious, vegan cuisine and an unforgettable dining experience. All of which will have the conscientious foodie coming back for more.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Candle Cafe West reviews from OpenTable diners
166 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (118)neighborhood gem (92)special occasion (54)great for lunch (42)romantic (41)good for groups (27)great for brunch (24)notable wine list (21)hot spot (13)kid-friendly (9)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great vegan food, great ambiancePlisskenDined on 11/19/2014I needed to find a place to meet a business colleague on the UWS. Didn't want a noisy diner or typical restaurant. This was the perfect place. We had bean soup and appetizers. Everything was delicious and my non-vegetarian friend didn't miss meat options. Atmosphere is pleasant and relatively quiet. Service was friendly and non-obtrusive. We enjoyed our meal ver much and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice food, better sofa neededKatsuDined on 11/17/2014I liked food and fresh juice. Healthy and ambiance of the restaurant is nice.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014I usually have such great and attentive service at Candle West, but that evening was particularly poor --- my hostess ended up having to take my check at the end of the meal, and while we had an hour and a half back-by from the restaurant and for ourselves for a film we were catching down the street, the server didn't seem to be aware of it and left us little time for dessert, even though we tried to flag her down. I work in a restaurant as well and particularly noticed that disorganization, though I also noticed that our server had many larger tables. My only note is that servers should be more aware of the back-by times and allow the table flexibility for dessert, even if its just an hour and a half for a group of 4. We ended up missing our movie and having to work 10 blocks to go to another theatre. I also got a strange confirmation call asking for a different person to confirm my reservation which I made the day of (I would think that if its made the day of on OT there's no need to confirm, but every restaurant is different).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice vegetarian organic, but way overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014I loved being able to relax into all organic vegetarian.... ahhh :-) But the bliss does not carry through. The portions are very small, and the food is not nearly as good as the prices would indicate. I would have paid $10 for my meal, but at $30+ (I got an appetizer to go with the main entree), I expected significantly exalter quality, and it did not strike me that way.
- Great Food, Great TimecitygirlVIPDined on 11/12/2014The service was very friendly; however, upon checking in the hostess seemed disorganized and the kitchen was very slow. Our server was great, and very welcoming but overall - even to receiving our wine - it was slow. And the wine red was a little warm. Either way though, a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan goodnessLoveVeganFoodDined on 11/9/2014Very good dinner. Nachos were perfect and ravioli was also very good. Kale and bean soup needed some umph, like something spicy. The empanadas were pretty good, but also needed something extra, like pico de gallo on the side. Desserts were excellent - almond joy pie and pumpkin bread pudding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Vegetarian FoodJoeNYCVIPDined on 11/9/2014I'm as happy as every eating here. Or third visit was as satisfying as our first time. Very capable staff serves chefs specials with a smile. No complaints based on food, decorating, staff. A little steep on prices but sometimes you truly get what you pay for. Soups are good, entrees are too, and desserts (especially pie ala mode) are yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food but service not on parOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/8/2014The food is absolutely amazing and the kitchen is quick! However, the restaurant was busy and we had to wait like 20 min before they took our order, normally I don't mind, but I felt like the staff was ignoring us instead of just saying, "sorry, we are very busy right now, we will be with you asap"....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wholesome goodnessJofeatDined on 11/8/2014Twice a year we drive 175 miles so we can eat at Candle Cafe. We have never been disappointed and look forward to going back again, and again, and again! Wholesome deliciously flavorful and a friendly atmosphere. It doesn't get any better than that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Veggie Delight!gumbreauxDined on 11/6/2014I took a friend there for a special dinner and we were totally blown away by the attention to detail by the kitchen, the service staff, and the waiter. The menu is wonderfully broad and holds something for everyone. For my first visit, I didn't know what to expect. I am a fan and will be back! Bravo!!Special Features:
- Always excellent meal and serviceLuvsToEatandDrinkVeganDined on 11/5/2014Candle Cafe West has it all. Lovely room, excellent service, interesting cocktails and varied wine list and food fit for all foodies, vegan and otherwise.Special Features:
- FabulousDR67Dined on 11/3/2014My wife and I love to eat here or one of the other Candle restaurants when we are in New York. Candle West is probably our favorite of all. It has a lovely atmosphere and is much less intense than many other NY restaurants. It feels like an oasis. When crowded, of course, the intensity level goes up but we never find it too stimulating. We found it quiet this time because we were on the early side. We love the vegetarian and vegan menu and even the desserts are delicious. This may be too unfamiliar for carnivores but I think even they might enjoy this restaurant if they have an open mind about great vegetarian food.Special Features:
- Warm, charming and delicious.aloemissDined on 11/2/2014Most members of my family are vegan. We all chose a different entree and everyone was more than pleased. Well rounded dinners and decadent desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SatisfiedEatOutDined on 11/2/2014I went here with a friend on Sunday night. We were a half hour late due to traffic from the NYC marathon. The hostess was very nice when we called and notified her of our lateness and did well to warn us that they needed the table at 7 but that an hour should be plenty of time to have a nice meal. This was fine for us because we had to be at a show downtown at 7. That said, the meal was rushed and if we hadn't willingly eaten fast I would have been unsatisfied. We ordered two apps and two entrees as well as cocktails and we barely had breathing room. If you want to have a "nice meal" here and be able to enjoy the food, give yourself more than an hour.Special Features:
- Amazing food and martinisLanafoodieVIPDined on 10/31/2014Can't wait to come back and try more! The risotto and almond cake were scrumptious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid choice in neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/27/2014We needed to grab dinner in the neighborhood before another engagement. This was a solid choice, though not the most inspiring. Our main courses were tasty (butternut squash risotto and a vegetable pasta) and the house ginger ale (with vanilla bean) delicious. The dessert -- a pumpkin-y bread pudding with chocolate, was on the dry side. What turned me off was the feeling that the restaurant was trying to hustle us out of there. The mains came within a couple minutes of ordering and the check was brought with our dessert without us asking (we would probably have ordered a coffee or tea otherwise).Special Features:
- Terrific FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/27/2014Too Loud....Food healthy and good. Service and Server were great. But nothing kills a meals with a friend faster then having to yell everything across the table.Special Features:
- Outstanding vegetarian/veganKokomoODined on 10/27/2014Candle Cafe is probably the best vegetarian/vegan restaurant I've been to. While I'm not a vegetarian or vegan, my son is vegetarian, and has celiac disease, so we're very attuned to vegetarian, vegan and gluten free issues. The options at Candle Cafe are wide and very inventive, and the food is always great. We go there often when we're in Manhattan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best vegan dining in NYCGrndUpWellnessDined on 10/20/2014Candle Cafe West is a neighborhood staple for us, at least for special occasions or treat dinners out. My husband - an omnivore - and I - a vegan - love their beautifully prepared dishes, extensive organic/sustainable wine list and super-chill ambiance. The staff is always tremendously helpful and friendly, and they do a great job of accommodating food allergies and special requests. My favorite of all their dishes is the Spiced Indian Pea Cake; my husband's is the Portobello Steak. It's a great place to take non-vegans to expose them to really well-done plant-based food, and a nice place to celebrate birthdays, anniversaries, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything we hoped forWonderfulDined on 10/17/2014The food was wonderful. Even our carnivore friends loved it! The wine, the appetizer, the enter, &other dessert were all fabulous. Our waiter was friendly and informative. The restaurant was classy without being stuffy or pretentious. Not what people would expect from a vegan restaurant. Upscale dining. Delicious vegan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kailuagirll99Dined on 10/15/2014Great vegan food and wonderful atmosphere. Great NY veg place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What A TreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014Must-eat restaurant on Upper West Side, plant-based menu executed for refined palates.Special Features:
- Great veg / organic restaurantmorels711Dined on 10/14/2014Probably one of the best organic and/or vegetarian restaurants I've been to. It is hard to find a restaurant that sources both organic/local and is exclusively vegetarian and the quality is very good. Candle West has all three.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful, with one reservationMelsaysVIPDined on 10/13/2014We've been coming here for years. We have found it to be an excellent Vegan restaurant, though don't confuse it with health food. One member of our party of six ordered the mushroom salad. This was a huge disappointment: it was a plate of greens with a few mushrooms slices, very few. If one calls it a mushroom salad, an entree course, it should have a significant number of mushrooms. Alas... Other than than, it was fine.Special Features:
- Great food, great service!CTdineINnyDined on 10/11/2014Candle Cafe was a great experience! The food was outstanding. Lots of flavor, color and presentation of the plates. Even if you are not vegetarian or vegan you can definitely enjoy this restaurant. I absolutely loved Candle Cafe! Everyone should try it at least once!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For omnivores too...BlueCatDined on 10/9/2014There were three in my party: one vegan (who is also gluten-free), one omnivore, and one semi-vegetarian who eats fish, but no meat. We were all happy diners and the meat-eater cleaned his plate! Our server was unusually helpful in guiding our menu choices and the restaurant was generally very welcoming.Special Features:
- Delicious dinner!casbarDined on 10/9/2014A relaxing, pleasant setting and delicious healthful food with a nice wine and beer and mixed drink list.Special Features:
- Fantastic!sabtnycVIPDined on 10/9/2014The food is fresh, beautifully prepared, incredible combinations and beyond delicious. Not a vegetarian, but the food here is simply amazing.Special Features:
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 10/4/2014Delicious whether you are vegan or not. Creative, fun menu. Energetic and friendly wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scrumptious, healthful foodSensitivePoetTypeDined on 10/3/2014I love this restaurant. It's a bit pricey -- a glass of wine costs between $13 and $15 -- but everything is fresh and delicious. Also, the service is excellent. Our waiter was knowledgeable and completely attentive. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- Delicious vegan fareLunaeatsVIPDined on 10/1/2014Each of the Candle restaurants offers exceptionally delicious, very imaginative vegan food. I really enjoy the ambiance at Candle West--it seems somewhere between the very relaxed and casual original Candle Cafe and the more "special occasion" feel of Candle 79. They make a delicious mole sauce at Candle West---I always order whatever menu item features it; this time it was pomegranate-chili tempeh over roasted veggies and sautéed greens in mole sauce---so tasty! Followed by pumpkin breading pudding, the perfect autumn dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousJammingDined on 10/1/2014I was entertaining people from out of town. They will go out of their way to get to Candle Cafe West next time - and it will become a regular for me. Food and service cannot be topped. What diversity in the gluten-free options.Special Features:
- Go VeganTerry56Dined on 9/27/2014The ambiance was great but more importantly the food was amazing . My wife and myself first time at a vegan restaurant and I say who needs meat , I recommend the Ravioli out of this world and the fall Risotto off the charts. Highly recommend will be back !!terry56Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcoming food and peopleEpicureVIPDined on 9/22/2014How often do you visit a restaurant where the staff seems genuinely happy to see you? The appeal of Candle Cafe begins at the door. You are welcomed and from that moment on the comfort of great food and a warm buzz continues. This is our favorite restaurant in New York. We leave fully sated and yet healthy. The "live"lasagne is not a traditional lasagne--no pasta, no tomato sauce, uncooked. But the freshness and liveliness of the vegetables make the dish improbably light yet filling. We always leave happy and walk out citing what we will try the next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You won't believe it's vegankidsnaveDined on 9/21/2014Candle Cafe, like the original Candle, creates unbelievably tasty, original and beautifully presented vegan dishes. Here you will find something for every taste, something that will meet or exceed similar dishes on traditional menus. Our friends, one of whom is a vegetarian, were both skeptical until the appetizers arrived. From them on it was all smiles and raves. They took several business cards with them to share with their friends - spread the good word.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Only for VegansBabsDined on 9/20/2014My non vegan husband enjoyed his lunch just as much as I (vegan) did. We both ordered a burrito which was stuffed to the rafters with seitan, black beans, corn and other veggies, just the right seasoning, drizzled with some "sour cream," and the result was perfect. Dessert--cheesecake with chocolate sauce and carrot cake, was also excellent. Service was prompt and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this placefoodieDined on 9/16/2014Candle Café Wast never disappoints. The dishes are always great.Special Features:
- Excellent VegetariannyfoodieDined on 9/14/2014Candle continues to have a creative vegetarian menu. It is deservedly busy and a very good option for vegetarians and also for Kosher diners. Interesting bar with organic wines and spirit choices. We live close by and often order takeout from Candle as well. Overall an excellent choice.Special Features:
- Great staffOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014The staff was knowledgeable about food option and the food was tasty. I left my credit card by accident and promptly received a call and was able to return and reclaim my card. Thanks again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan WorldliveganDined on 9/14/2014Had a wonderful dinner with friends. Great food and wines choices.Special Features: