Candle Cafe West
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
OrganicPrice: $31 to $50
Candle Cafe West
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.candlecafe.com/west
- Phone: 2127698900x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:30 pm
Dinner: Monday thru Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:30pm
Brunch: Satuday - Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Sunday Dinner - 4:00pm - 930pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Vegetarian / Vegan
- Executive Chef: Jorge Pineda & Angel Ramos
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Party Platters are available as well as full service off-site event catering. Including eco-bar service and cocktail parties.
- Cross Street: 89th street
- Public Transit: Both 86 and 104 bus lines will stop along Broadway and 86th
The Subway 1 line stops on 86 and Broadway.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking is available along the side streets. Please pay attention to the parking signs along these streets.
Nearby Parking lots include the following:
Parking Lot 700 is located just off of 86th street between S. Main street and Broadway. It has 21 spots and is open 24 hours Monday- Sunday. Maximum stay is 2 hours.
Lot 665 (87th and Grand) is open Monday- Friday 8am-6pm and is located on 87th street just off of S. Broadway.
A word from Candle Cafe West
Candle Cafe West combines delicious, organic, vegan cuisine with gracious and knowledgeable service. Just as the sister restaurants, Candle Cafe and Candle 79, on the east side have done, Candle Cafe West lovingly crafts “food fresh from farm to table." They also offer an intimate organic wine and eco-cocktail bar. The Candle’s passion is to sustainably create scrumptious, vegan cuisine and an unforgettable dining experience. All of which will have the conscientious foodie coming back for more.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Candle Cafe West reviews from OpenTable diners
162 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (115)neighborhood gem (97)special occasion (55)great for lunch (45)romantic (42)good for groups (31)great for brunch (31)notable wine list (19)hot spot (13)vibrant bar scene (8)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Solid choice in neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/27/2014We needed to grab dinner in the neighborhood before another engagement. This was a solid choice, though not the most inspiring. Our main courses were tasty (butternut squash risotto and a vegetable pasta) and the house ginger ale (with vanilla bean) delicious. The dessert -- a pumpkin-y bread pudding with chocolate, was on the dry side. What turned me off was the feeling that the restaurant was trying to hustle us out of there. The mains came within a couple minutes of ordering and the check was brought with our dessert without us asking (we would probably have ordered a coffee or tea otherwise).Special Features:
- Terrific FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/27/2014Too Loud....Food healthy and good. Service and Server were great. But nothing kills a meals with a friend faster then having to yell everything across the table.Special Features:
- Outstanding vegetarian/veganOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014Candle Cafe is probably the best vegetarian/vegan restaurant I've been to. While I'm not a vegetarian or vegan, my son is vegetarian, and has celiac disease, so we're very attuned to vegetarian, vegan and gluten free issues. The options at Candle Cafe are wide and very inventive, and the food is always great. We go there often when we're in Manhattan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best vegan dining in NYCGrndUpWellnessDined on 10/20/2014Candle Cafe West is a neighborhood staple for us, at least for special occasions or treat dinners out. My husband - an omnivore - and I - a vegan - love their beautifully prepared dishes, extensive organic/sustainable wine list and super-chill ambiance. The staff is always tremendously helpful and friendly, and they do a great job of accommodating food allergies and special requests. My favorite of all their dishes is the Spiced Indian Pea Cake; my husband's is the Portobello Steak. It's a great place to take non-vegans to expose them to really well-done plant-based food, and a nice place to celebrate birthdays, anniversaries, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything we hoped forWonderfulDined on 10/17/2014The food was wonderful. Even our carnivore friends loved it! The wine, the appetizer, the enter, &other dessert were all fabulous. Our waiter was friendly and informative. The restaurant was classy without being stuffy or pretentious. Not what people would expect from a vegan restaurant. Upscale dining. Delicious vegan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kailuagirll99Dined on 10/15/2014Great vegan food and wonderful atmosphere. Great NY veg place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What A TreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014Must-eat restaurant on Upper West Side, plant-based menu executed for refined palates.Special Features:
- Great veg / organic restaurantmorels711Dined on 10/14/2014Probably one of the best organic and/or vegetarian restaurants I've been to. It is hard to find a restaurant that sources both organic/local and is exclusively vegetarian and the quality is very good. Candle West has all three.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful, with one reservationMelsaysVIPDined on 10/13/2014We've been coming here for years. We have found it to be an excellent Vegan restaurant, though don't confuse it with health food. One member of our party of six ordered the mushroom salad. This was a huge disappointment: it was a plate of greens with a few mushrooms slices, very few. If one calls it a mushroom salad, an entree course, it should have a significant number of mushrooms. Alas... Other than than, it was fine.Special Features:
- Great food, great service!CTdineINnyDined on 10/11/2014Candle Cafe was a great experience! The food was outstanding. Lots of flavor, color and presentation of the plates. Even if you are not vegetarian or vegan you can definitely enjoy this restaurant. I absolutely loved Candle Cafe! Everyone should try it at least once!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For omnivores too...BlueCatDined on 10/9/2014There were three in my party: one vegan (who is also gluten-free), one omnivore, and one semi-vegetarian who eats fish, but no meat. We were all happy diners and the meat-eater cleaned his plate! Our server was unusually helpful in guiding our menu choices and the restaurant was generally very welcoming.Special Features:
- Delicious dinner!casbarDined on 10/9/2014A relaxing, pleasant setting and delicious healthful food with a nice wine and beer and mixed drink list.Special Features:
- Fantastic!sabtnycVIPDined on 10/9/2014The food is fresh, beautifully prepared, incredible combinations and beyond delicious. Not a vegetarian, but the food here is simply amazing.Special Features:
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 10/4/2014Delicious whether you are vegan or not. Creative, fun menu. Energetic and friendly wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scrumptious, healthful foodSensitivePoetTypeDined on 10/3/2014I love this restaurant. It's a bit pricey -- a glass of wine costs between $13 and $15 -- but everything is fresh and delicious. Also, the service is excellent. Our waiter was knowledgeable and completely attentive. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- Delicious vegan fareLunaeatsDined on 10/1/2014Each of the Candle restaurants offers exceptionally delicious, very imaginative vegan food. I really enjoy the ambiance at Candle West--it seems somewhere between the very relaxed and casual original Candle Cafe and the more "special occasion" feel of Candle 79. They make a delicious mole sauce at Candle West---I always order whatever menu item features it; this time it was pomegranate-chili tempeh over roasted veggies and sautéed greens in mole sauce---so tasty! Followed by pumpkin breading pudding, the perfect autumn dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousJammingDined on 10/1/2014I was entertaining people from out of town. They will go out of their way to get to Candle Cafe West next time - and it will become a regular for me. Food and service cannot be topped. What diversity in the gluten-free options.Special Features:
- Go VeganTerry56Dined on 9/27/2014The ambiance was great but more importantly the food was amazing . My wife and myself first time at a vegan restaurant and I say who needs meat , I recommend the Ravioli out of this world and the fall Risotto off the charts. Highly recommend will be back !!terry56Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcoming food and peopleEpicureVIPDined on 9/22/2014How often do you visit a restaurant where the staff seems genuinely happy to see you? The appeal of Candle Cafe begins at the door. You are welcomed and from that moment on the comfort of great food and a warm buzz continues. This is our favorite restaurant in New York. We leave fully sated and yet healthy. The "live"lasagne is not a traditional lasagne--no pasta, no tomato sauce, uncooked. But the freshness and liveliness of the vegetables make the dish improbably light yet filling. We always leave happy and walk out citing what we will try the next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You won't believe it's vegankidsnaveDined on 9/21/2014Candle Cafe, like the original Candle, creates unbelievably tasty, original and beautifully presented vegan dishes. Here you will find something for every taste, something that will meet or exceed similar dishes on traditional menus. Our friends, one of whom is a vegetarian, were both skeptical until the appetizers arrived. From them on it was all smiles and raves. They took several business cards with them to share with their friends - spread the good word.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Only for VegansBabsDined on 9/20/2014My non vegan husband enjoyed his lunch just as much as I (vegan) did. We both ordered a burrito which was stuffed to the rafters with seitan, black beans, corn and other veggies, just the right seasoning, drizzled with some "sour cream," and the result was perfect. Dessert--cheesecake with chocolate sauce and carrot cake, was also excellent. Service was prompt and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this placefoodieDined on 9/16/2014Candle Café Wast never disappoints. The dishes are always great.Special Features:
- Excellent VegetariannyfoodieDined on 9/14/2014Candle continues to have a creative vegetarian menu. It is deservedly busy and a very good option for vegetarians and also for Kosher diners. Interesting bar with organic wines and spirit choices. We live close by and often order takeout from Candle as well. Overall an excellent choice.Special Features:
- Great staffOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014The staff was knowledgeable about food option and the food was tasty. I left my credit card by accident and promptly received a call and was able to return and reclaim my card. Thanks again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan WorldliveganDined on 9/14/2014Had a wonderful dinner with friends. Great food and wines choices.Special Features:
- Loved itrinycDined on 9/13/2014Excellent food and service. Happy I finally ate thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/13/2014You have to be a vegetarian to fully enjoy this restaurant. It's very expensive. Portions, even desserts, are small and there's not even bread at the table to fill the gap. I went home and had supper. That having been said, some things are special. The mint/melon drink was exceptionally good. The live lasagna tasty and subtle in flavor. The waiter very efficient and sweet.
- NanceDined on 9/12/2014This restaurant is a must if your not a meat eater. The bar is beautiful and the bartenders are excellent mixologist. The food is excellent.Special Features:
- Tasty, sophisticated veggie fareadenizenofharlemVIPDined on 9/10/2014Wonderful to have such an elegant yet accessible vegetarian restaurant on the UWS! Delicious food that satisfied even my carnivorous dining mate.Special Features:
- Best food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014This was our second visit to Candle Cafe West and it was even better than the first! The food is just outstanding and we were left wanting to lick the plate!! I can truly recommend this restaurant both for vegans, vegetarians and carnivores (like my husband) who can't refuse an excellent meal.Special Features:
- Full of flavorNYFoodieDined on 9/4/2014Everything we ordered was amazing. It was so nice to have a delicious, healthy meal and not have a gluten hangover the next day. Ryan, our server, was fantastic!Special Features:
- Wonderful vegan FareOneearleftDined on 9/3/2014I have long enjoyed Candle Cafe on 3rd Ave. The food here is the same high quality, but ambiance is quieter, more commodious and better suited for quiet conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a treat!veggiegalDined on 9/1/2014Delicious food, wonderful service, amazing wine selections! Loved everything about this place. I'd go again in a heartbeat!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014My date and I had a fantastic time, my first time at a vegeterian restuarant the food was great, would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousLeah675Dined on 8/29/2014Candle cafe west is delicious, beautiful and has great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special for vegetarians/vegansOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014We had a fabulous meal here, a special occasion celebrating one of my vegan students passing his qual exams. Other diners were non-vegetarians, but found the meal, as did I, satsifying, creative and delicious. I saw some complaints about the price in reviews, but I found it inline with other upscale NYC restaurants (perhaps only if you think "vegetarian food should always be cheap"). I'm sure they invested in quality ingredients, and I found it good value considering the high quality of what we got. Standout dishes: the quesidilla, portobello burger, spicy cilantro "refesher".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Vegan/VegetraianARG17Dined on 8/26/2014This is a great restaurant. The food and service was exceptional. I'd recommend getting the Market Plate as it's a great variety of different choices. I went with the soba noodles, mustard grilled seitan, grilled zucchini and sauteed greens. Everything was spot on. The Avocado-Quinoa salad was great too.Special Features:
- Good lunch, great for vegetariansOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/26/2014I have never eaten at a vegetarian restaurant before. I did not know what to expect besides noodles and veggies. I had a delicious salad and shared steamed dumplings with a sweet sauce. The other dishes looked good, I will definitely try it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan VirginchristocinoVIPDined on 8/23/2014I am really a vegan virgin, but we had a reservation at a French restaurant for dinner and I knew I would probably be eating plenty of red meat and organ meets then, so we decided for something healthier for brunch. Imagine my surprise when we discovered how tasty a meal could be without animal stuff. I had the nuevos rancheros and my partner had the curry dish and we were both impressed by the quality of the ingredients and the creativity of the cuisine. The servers were also extremely helpful and patient even when I insensitively asked whether there was any pork lard in the tortillas. While I am not about to convert, I will continue to explore vegan cuisine from time to time, and I do plan to revisit Candle when I visit NYC again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Candle Cafe West. Easily one of my favorite restaurants. Brought a friend here for her first visit and she loved it too :) Service is always top notch - thanks Amena for always taking such good care of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.