Candle Cafe West
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
OrganicPrice: $31 to $50
Candle Cafe West
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.candlecafe.com/west
- Phone: 2127698900x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:30 pm
Dinner: Monday thru Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:30pm
Brunch: Satuday - Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Sunday Dinner - 4:00pm - 930pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Vegetarian / Vegan
- Executive Chef: Jorge Pineda & Angel Ramos
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Party Platters are available as well as full service off-site event catering. Including eco-bar service and cocktail parties.
- Cross Street: 89th street
- Public Transit: Both 86 and 104 bus lines will stop along Broadway and 86th
The Subway 1 line stops on 86 and Broadway.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking is available along the side streets. Please pay attention to the parking signs along these streets.
Nearby Parking lots include the following:
Parking Lot 700 is located just off of 86th street between S. Main street and Broadway. It has 21 spots and is open 24 hours Monday- Sunday. Maximum stay is 2 hours.
Lot 665 (87th and Grand) is open Monday- Friday 8am-6pm and is located on 87th street just off of S. Broadway.
A word from Candle Cafe West
Candle Cafe West combines delicious, organic, vegan cuisine with gracious and knowledgeable service. Just as the sister restaurants, Candle Cafe and Candle 79, on the east side have done, Candle Cafe West lovingly crafts “food fresh from farm to table." They also offer an intimate organic wine and eco-cocktail bar. The Candle’s passion is to sustainably create scrumptious, vegan cuisine and an unforgettable dining experience. All of which will have the conscientious foodie coming back for more.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Candle Cafe West reviews from OpenTable diners
182 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (120)neighborhood gem (107)special occasion (57)great for lunch (52)romantic (47)great for brunch (46)good for groups (36)notable wine list (20)hot spot (14)kid-friendly (11)vibrant bar scene (10)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Not Only for VegansBabsDined on 9/20/2014My non vegan husband enjoyed his lunch just as much as I (vegan) did. We both ordered a burrito which was stuffed to the rafters with seitan, black beans, corn and other veggies, just the right seasoning, drizzled with some "sour cream," and the result was perfect. Dessert--cheesecake with chocolate sauce and carrot cake, was also excellent. Service was prompt and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this placefoodieDined on 9/16/2014Candle Café Wast never disappoints. The dishes are always great.Special Features:
- Excellent VegetariannyfoodieDined on 9/14/2014Candle continues to have a creative vegetarian menu. It is deservedly busy and a very good option for vegetarians and also for Kosher diners. Interesting bar with organic wines and spirit choices. We live close by and often order takeout from Candle as well. Overall an excellent choice.Special Features:
- Great staffOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014The staff was knowledgeable about food option and the food was tasty. I left my credit card by accident and promptly received a call and was able to return and reclaim my card. Thanks again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan WorldliveganDined on 9/14/2014Had a wonderful dinner with friends. Great food and wines choices.Special Features:
- Loved itrinycDined on 9/13/2014Excellent food and service. Happy I finally ate thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/13/2014You have to be a vegetarian to fully enjoy this restaurant. It's very expensive. Portions, even desserts, are small and there's not even bread at the table to fill the gap. I went home and had supper. That having been said, some things are special. The mint/melon drink was exceptionally good. The live lasagna tasty and subtle in flavor. The waiter very efficient and sweet.
- NanceDined on 9/12/2014This restaurant is a must if your not a meat eater. The bar is beautiful and the bartenders are excellent mixologist. The food is excellent.Special Features:
- Tasty, sophisticated veggie fareadenizenofharlemVIPDined on 9/10/2014Wonderful to have such an elegant yet accessible vegetarian restaurant on the UWS! Delicious food that satisfied even my carnivorous dining mate.Special Features:
- Best food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014This was our second visit to Candle Cafe West and it was even better than the first! The food is just outstanding and we were left wanting to lick the plate!! I can truly recommend this restaurant both for vegans, vegetarians and carnivores (like my husband) who can't refuse an excellent meal.Special Features:
- Full of flavorNYFoodieDined on 9/4/2014Everything we ordered was amazing. It was so nice to have a delicious, healthy meal and not have a gluten hangover the next day. Ryan, our server, was fantastic!Special Features:
- Wonderful vegan FareOneearleftDined on 9/3/2014I have long enjoyed Candle Cafe on 3rd Ave. The food here is the same high quality, but ambiance is quieter, more commodious and better suited for quiet conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a treat!veggiegalDined on 9/1/2014Delicious food, wonderful service, amazing wine selections! Loved everything about this place. I'd go again in a heartbeat!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014My date and I had a fantastic time, my first time at a vegeterian restuarant the food was great, would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousLeah675Dined on 8/29/2014Candle cafe west is delicious, beautiful and has great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special for vegetarians/vegansOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014We had a fabulous meal here, a special occasion celebrating one of my vegan students passing his qual exams. Other diners were non-vegetarians, but found the meal, as did I, satsifying, creative and delicious. I saw some complaints about the price in reviews, but I found it inline with other upscale NYC restaurants (perhaps only if you think "vegetarian food should always be cheap"). I'm sure they invested in quality ingredients, and I found it good value considering the high quality of what we got. Standout dishes: the quesidilla, portobello burger, spicy cilantro "refesher".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Vegan/VegetraianARG17Dined on 8/26/2014This is a great restaurant. The food and service was exceptional. I'd recommend getting the Market Plate as it's a great variety of different choices. I went with the soba noodles, mustard grilled seitan, grilled zucchini and sauteed greens. Everything was spot on. The Avocado-Quinoa salad was great too.Special Features:
- Good lunch, great for vegetariansOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/26/2014I have never eaten at a vegetarian restaurant before. I did not know what to expect besides noodles and veggies. I had a delicious salad and shared steamed dumplings with a sweet sauce. The other dishes looked good, I will definitely try it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan VirginchristocinoVIPDined on 8/23/2014I am really a vegan virgin, but we had a reservation at a French restaurant for dinner and I knew I would probably be eating plenty of red meat and organ meets then, so we decided for something healthier for brunch. Imagine my surprise when we discovered how tasty a meal could be without animal stuff. I had the nuevos rancheros and my partner had the curry dish and we were both impressed by the quality of the ingredients and the creativity of the cuisine. The servers were also extremely helpful and patient even when I insensitively asked whether there was any pork lard in the tortillas. While I am not about to convert, I will continue to explore vegan cuisine from time to time, and I do plan to revisit Candle when I visit NYC again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Candle Cafe West. Easily one of my favorite restaurants. Brought a friend here for her first visit and she loved it too :) Service is always top notch - thanks Amena for always taking such good care of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BEST Upscale Vegan in NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/20/2014The food here is unfailingly delightful: tasty, creative, beautiful presentation and excellent service. Never disappointed! Never.Special Features:
- Great food as alwaysOpenStudioVIPDined on 8/20/2014It's hard to judge the restaurant this time since we came in so early that we were the only ones there (4:30p). The food was excellent as always with the appetizers tasting even better than the main meal. The service was excellent and the waiter was particularly helpful in selecting our wine. Will always return to this restaurant as long as it stays this good.Special Features:
- Run by amaturesHIN421VIPDined on 8/18/2014Even if you have reservations getting seated is always complicated. It seems difficult to find a table even when the place is half empty. Food is flavorless.
- Great and interestingLarryVIPDined on 8/13/2014The imaginative uses which the chef makes of all sorts of vegetable products is amazing. At night, try to get a table in the front away from the bar, in order to avoid the very high noise level in the rear.Special Features:
- Health food for foodiesbrusselsproutsDined on 8/12/2014Tis is a vegan / organic restaurant that is so delicious that no one of any food stripe would complain (unless you really need red meat!). I've taken meat and potatoes friends there, and they are blown away by the food. Though I usually go for lunch and don't drink wine, their organic wine list is excellent.Special Features:
- A Vegan GemMCanEatDined on 8/8/2014If you enjoy a healthy vegan alternative, then this restaurant is made for you. Five of us shared a couple of appetizers; everything on the menu was an option, so settling on only two was difficult. My Live Lasagna entrée was fresh and delicious. I knew I couldn't go wrong when the first ingredient listed was heirloom tomatoes. Yum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious and healthy foodJackieVIPDined on 8/7/2014Came here for the first time last week, and I will definitely be back! The cocktails were delish (I tried the one with chia seeds and my friend got the one with tequila, cilantro and lemon). I highly recommend the nachos, BBQ quesadillas and the seitan sandwich. The sesame tofu needed salt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Healthy FoodAlieDined on 8/6/2014Bet Vegetarian food I've discovered on the Upper West Side...worth a return visit, definitely!!!Special Features:
- Haven for uptown vegansRoxieDined on 8/5/2014The food was amazing and our server was so friendly. My favorites were the nachos starter, the vegetable curry cake and the peach crumble for dessert. As a vegan it is nice to dine out somewhere special, where your choices are endless and everything tastes great. You will be seeing more of me Candle Cafe!Special Features:
- Fablous vegan for everyoneLuvsToEatandDrinkVeganDined on 8/4/2014Candle Cafe West is always busy and why wouldn't it be? Food, ambiance, service, wine and cocktail list, this healthy, organic vegan has it all- except for one thing… there is not hint of preachy. That is why my guests, who are avid omnivores, were entralled. They will go back and I certainly have become a regular.Special Features:
- Best Vegan Restaurant in NYC!Willsing4supperDined on 8/4/2014I've been vegan for 7 years and Cafe West offers the best combination of food, service, ambience and price of any vegan restaurant I've found in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveningVegenutDined on 8/4/2014The service was friendly and efficient. The ravioli, an appetizer, delicious and the special artichoke tasty as well. We made a reservation, was sedated right away and didn't wait long for food. A lovely restaurant which I would go to again.Special Features:
- Outstanding meal!BasbcaseyVIPDined on 8/3/2014As a non vegan who went here with my vegan friend I was more than pleasantly surprised. The food was fantastic! We both loved it. The restaurant itself is lovely. Service was great. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food!JunegirlsDined on 8/2/2014Our party of four had lunch here and it was amazing. We loved the choices and will certainly come back to try the rest of the menu.Special Features:
- Vegan havenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Candle Cafe West is a fabulous restaurant that deserves all the praise it gets. The welcome was very warm, our waitress was fun, friendly, helpful and attentive. The decor was young, fresh and classy. The choices on the menu were so numerous, and all so very tempting, and all of them lived up to their expectations. The food came reasonably fast, and looked and tasted phenomenal. All the staff was incredibly professional. Two big thumbs up for this vegan haven in the upper west side. Trendy, but not pretentious. I loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Veggie RaviolistaceyVIPDined on 7/30/2014My favorite vegan restaurant ever. The Vegetable Ravioli was the best meal I've ever had...ever...amazing
- exceptionalDivaDocDined on 7/29/2014This was an exceptional dining experience overall. The food menu was unique from the content (kosher and vegan yet also diverse ethnic tastes) to the presentation and our waitress was superb. We were a party of 6 and shared all the dishes so had an opportunity to sample many different dishes, best one hands down was the tortellini, absolutely savory! The ambiance is very comfortable, dimly lit, pleasant music. The only criticism is the cocktail drinks were not very tasty and took too long to bring out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fitting end to a fun dayEpicureVIPDined on 7/27/2014We walked from the bottom of Manhattan --an unusual activity for us--to our final destination, Candle Cafe. And what a feast we had. Steamed dumplings, mezze plate, "live" lasagne, burrito, paella, key lime pie and carrot cake. Sublime. Every dish was superb. (Indian curry cake was the only sub-par choice.) The Rockaway cocktail with greenhook gin was excellent (hold the agave.) And beer selection was terrific. We groaned with delight. We'll be back and will even stroll six miles to do so!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent vegan restaurant2hbsDined on 7/25/2014Nice quiet atmosphere, interesting and delicious vegan food, good service and almost glamorous look. It is one of my favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Candle Cafe West RocksDebbie1328Dined on 7/24/2014An outstanding destination for vegetarian food. This is not a "meat eaters will love it place." It's a place for people who appreciate how delicious fresh greens and veggies are. The service is friendly, warm, and very "white glove" which you don't find a lot on the Upper West Side. I would eat here every day if I couldSpecial Features: