Candle Cafe West
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Candle Cafe West
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.candlecafe.com/west
- Phone: 2127698900x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:30 pm
Dinner: Monday thru Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:30pm
Brunch: Satuday - Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Sunday Dinner - 4:00pm - 930pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, American, Vegetarian
- Executive Chef: Jorge Pineda & Angel Ramos
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Party Platters are available as well as full service off-site event catering. Including eco-bar service and cocktail parties.
- Cross Street: 89th street
- Public Transit: Both 86 and 104 bus lines will stop along Broadway and 86th
The Subway 1 line stops on 86 and Broadway.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking is available along the side streets. Please pay attention to the parking signs along these streets.
Nearby Parking lots include the following:
Parking Lot 700 is located just off of 86th street between S. Main street and Broadway. It has 21 spots and is open 24 hours Monday- Sunday. Maximum stay is 2 hours.
Lot 665 (87th and Grand) is open Monday- Friday 8am-6pm and is located on 87th street just off of S. Broadway.
A word from Candle Cafe West
Candle Cafe West combines delicious, organic, vegan cuisine with gracious and knowledgeable service. Just as the sister restaurants, Candle Cafe and Candle 79, on the east side have done, Candle Cafe West lovingly crafts “food fresh from farm to table." They also offer an intimate organic wine and eco-cocktail bar. The Candle’s passion is to sustainably create scrumptious, vegan cuisine and an unforgettable dining experience. All of which will have the conscientious foodie coming back for more.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Candle Cafe West reviews from OpenTable diners
185 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (117)neighborhood gem (111)special occasion (56)great for lunch (54)great for brunch (53)romantic (49)good for groups (35)notable wine list (20)kid-friendly (19)hot spot (15)vibrant bar scene (11)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- Special for vegetarians/vegansOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014We had a fabulous meal here, a special occasion celebrating one of my vegan students passing his qual exams. Other diners were non-vegetarians, but found the meal, as did I, satsifying, creative and delicious. I saw some complaints about the price in reviews, but I found it inline with other upscale NYC restaurants (perhaps only if you think "vegetarian food should always be cheap"). I'm sure they invested in quality ingredients, and I found it good value considering the high quality of what we got. Standout dishes: the quesidilla, portobello burger, spicy cilantro "refesher".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan VirginchristocinoVIPDined on 8/23/2014I am really a vegan virgin, but we had a reservation at a French restaurant for dinner and I knew I would probably be eating plenty of red meat and organ meets then, so we decided for something healthier for brunch. Imagine my surprise when we discovered how tasty a meal could be without animal stuff. I had the nuevos rancheros and my partner had the curry dish and we were both impressed by the quality of the ingredients and the creativity of the cuisine. The servers were also extremely helpful and patient even when I insensitively asked whether there was any pork lard in the tortillas. While I am not about to convert, I will continue to explore vegan cuisine from time to time, and I do plan to revisit Candle when I visit NYC again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Candle Cafe West. Easily one of my favorite restaurants. Brought a friend here for her first visit and she loved it too :) Service is always top notch - thanks Amena for always taking such good care of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BEST Upscale Vegan in NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/20/2014The food here is unfailingly delightful: tasty, creative, beautiful presentation and excellent service. Never disappointed! Never.Special Features:
- Great food as alwaysOpenStudioVIPDined on 8/20/2014It's hard to judge the restaurant this time since we came in so early that we were the only ones there (4:30p). The food was excellent as always with the appetizers tasting even better than the main meal. The service was excellent and the waiter was particularly helpful in selecting our wine. Will always return to this restaurant as long as it stays this good.Special Features:
- Run by amaturesHIN421VIPDined on 8/18/2014Even if you have reservations getting seated is always complicated. It seems difficult to find a table even when the place is half empty. Food is flavorless.
- Great and interestingLarryVIPDined on 8/13/2014The imaginative uses which the chef makes of all sorts of vegetable products is amazing. At night, try to get a table in the front away from the bar, in order to avoid the very high noise level in the rear.Special Features:
- Health food for foodiesbrusselsproutsDined on 8/12/2014Tis is a vegan / organic restaurant that is so delicious that no one of any food stripe would complain (unless you really need red meat!). I've taken meat and potatoes friends there, and they are blown away by the food. Though I usually go for lunch and don't drink wine, their organic wine list is excellent.Special Features:
- A Vegan GemMCanEatDined on 8/8/2014If you enjoy a healthy vegan alternative, then this restaurant is made for you. Five of us shared a couple of appetizers; everything on the menu was an option, so settling on only two was difficult. My Live Lasagna entrée was fresh and delicious. I knew I couldn't go wrong when the first ingredient listed was heirloom tomatoes. Yum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious and healthy foodJackieVIPDined on 8/7/2014Came here for the first time last week, and I will definitely be back! The cocktails were delish (I tried the one with chia seeds and my friend got the one with tequila, cilantro and lemon). I highly recommend the nachos, BBQ quesadillas and the seitan sandwich. The sesame tofu needed salt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Healthy FoodAlieDined on 8/6/2014Bet Vegetarian food I've discovered on the Upper West Side...worth a return visit, definitely!!!Special Features:
- Haven for uptown vegansRoxieDined on 8/5/2014The food was amazing and our server was so friendly. My favorites were the nachos starter, the vegetable curry cake and the peach crumble for dessert. As a vegan it is nice to dine out somewhere special, where your choices are endless and everything tastes great. You will be seeing more of me Candle Cafe!Special Features:
- Fablous vegan for everyoneLuvsToEatandDrinkVeganDined on 8/4/2014Candle Cafe West is always busy and why wouldn't it be? Food, ambiance, service, wine and cocktail list, this healthy, organic vegan has it all- except for one thing… there is not hint of preachy. That is why my guests, who are avid omnivores, were entralled. They will go back and I certainly have become a regular.Special Features:
- Best Vegan Restaurant in NYC!Willsing4supperDined on 8/4/2014I've been vegan for 7 years and Cafe West offers the best combination of food, service, ambience and price of any vegan restaurant I've found in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveningVegenutDined on 8/4/2014The service was friendly and efficient. The ravioli, an appetizer, delicious and the special artichoke tasty as well. We made a reservation, was sedated right away and didn't wait long for food. A lovely restaurant which I would go to again.Special Features:
- Outstanding meal!BasbcaseyVIPDined on 8/3/2014As a non vegan who went here with my vegan friend I was more than pleasantly surprised. The food was fantastic! We both loved it. The restaurant itself is lovely. Service was great. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food!JunegirlsDined on 8/2/2014Our party of four had lunch here and it was amazing. We loved the choices and will certainly come back to try the rest of the menu.Special Features:
- Vegan havenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Candle Cafe West is a fabulous restaurant that deserves all the praise it gets. The welcome was very warm, our waitress was fun, friendly, helpful and attentive. The decor was young, fresh and classy. The choices on the menu were so numerous, and all so very tempting, and all of them lived up to their expectations. The food came reasonably fast, and looked and tasted phenomenal. All the staff was incredibly professional. Two big thumbs up for this vegan haven in the upper west side. Trendy, but not pretentious. I loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Veggie RaviolistaceyVIPDined on 7/30/2014My favorite vegan restaurant ever. The Vegetable Ravioli was the best meal I've ever had...ever...amazing
- exceptionalDivaDocDined on 7/29/2014This was an exceptional dining experience overall. The food menu was unique from the content (kosher and vegan yet also diverse ethnic tastes) to the presentation and our waitress was superb. We were a party of 6 and shared all the dishes so had an opportunity to sample many different dishes, best one hands down was the tortellini, absolutely savory! The ambiance is very comfortable, dimly lit, pleasant music. The only criticism is the cocktail drinks were not very tasty and took too long to bring out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fitting end to a fun dayEpicureDined on 7/27/2014We walked from the bottom of Manhattan --an unusual activity for us--to our final destination, Candle Cafe. And what a feast we had. Steamed dumplings, mezze plate, "live" lasagne, burrito, paella, key lime pie and carrot cake. Sublime. Every dish was superb. (Indian curry cake was the only sub-par choice.) The Rockaway cocktail with greenhook gin was excellent (hold the agave.) And beer selection was terrific. We groaned with delight. We'll be back and will even stroll six miles to do so!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent vegan restaurant2hbsDined on 7/25/2014Nice quiet atmosphere, interesting and delicious vegan food, good service and almost glamorous look. It is one of my favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Candle Cafe West RocksDebbie1328Dined on 7/24/2014An outstanding destination for vegetarian food. This is not a "meat eaters will love it place." It's a place for people who appreciate how delicious fresh greens and veggies are. The service is friendly, warm, and very "white glove" which you don't find a lot on the Upper West Side. I would eat here every day if I couldSpecial Features:
- WonderfulGood4UdiningDined on 7/23/2014I have been a long time customer of the eastside cafe and also the restaurant on 79th. I was meeting an old friend so I wanted it to be at a nice friend. The food, the service were great. Good choice. I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- West Side CandleNewyorkchickVIPDined on 7/22/2014If you're a Candle lover, this ranks up there with the East side restaurants. Great food, more comfy than the Cafe but not as private or special as 79. More families and kiddies dropping food here, which at avg of $80 per dinner for 2 is a turnoff. Different menu than the others, still great. But PLEASE seat the family crowd in the back?! Or maybe that's the West side vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MothersNDaughtersMothersNDaughtersDined on 7/22/2014The four of us shared everything and agreed all to be delish ~ grilled kale and avocado quinoa salads especially. The chocolate almond joy cake was totally scrummy.Special Features:
- A vegan restaurant that succeedsDNMISDined on 7/21/2014This is the second time I have been to Candle Cafe West and it succeeds where other restaurants of its genre fail. There is no attempt to make faux meat or fish. All that is served is a wonderful combination of vegetables and spices, both cold and hot, that titillate the taste buds and leave one pleasantly satiated. The cold avocado soup and roasted artichokes were wonderful. For the main course I wanted to try a variety of things so I opted for the sides. I had a plate of greens, soba noodles and sauteed mushrooms and they were excellent. Others in our party enjoyed the seitan scampi special, the farfelle special, vegetable paella and wild mushroom salad. The recommended dessert, Live Coconut Key Lime Pie, was yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AndrewAndrewDined on 7/19/2014Love all of the Candle locations. We are staying on the upper east side (8 days) and this location is closest. We are dining at Candle 79 (east side) on Thursday with friends/colleagues from Long Island. We feel like Candle is a treasure/gem for vegetarian, healthy food. One of our go-to spots when in New York. We love it. Started going to Candle Café many years ago when I lived nearby at E 74th and 1st Avenue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan DelightSuzanneDined on 7/19/2014Excellent food! This was my first time to this restaurant and I certainly hope to return. It came highly recommended and want to pass that recommendation along to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan heavenCBartelsVIPDined on 7/17/2014I always try to get to Candle Cafe West at least once when visiting NY. You don't have to be vegan to enjoy delicious, fresh, healthy and gourmet food! Their wine list is quite nice...daily specials are great and some tried and trues that are also delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan/vegetarian?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014Perfect restaurant for anyone looking for quality vegan/vegetarian food. Very pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to East Side CandlesMarlaDined on 7/15/2014Sadly disappointed in food and service. Food not up to par at either east side location. Service a joke. We ordered 6 small plates between us and asked waiter to stagger them. He brought all dishes within 10 minutes of our ordering. We returned plates because they were cold by the time we got to them.
- Lost opportunityak4dinnerDined on 7/14/2014Great ambiance as a special neighborhood find - for vegetarian guests this was a real positive start. Downhill really fast - maître d was too slick and disinterested, then cheerful waitress seemed like a winner but turned out to be the worst - hurried us to make decision then didn't come back to take order for 20 mins - but had time to hang with the maître d! Repeatedly bad service - took almost 2 hours for four of us on a straightforward meal. Her food suggestions were insincere as everything seemed to be her favorite. Tofu was excellent and vegetable paella was simply tasteless mush. Price was ok. Not rushing back there. Attitude problems usually mean management problems.
- Gluten free VegetarianOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/12/2014This restaurant has a gluten-free menu and their food is good. Staff are helpful and friendly. Menu is also vegan. If you have celiac disease let the staff know that you are not gluten-free by choice.Special Features:
- Nice place to meet for first dategoodfoodandfunDined on 7/11/2014This restaurant is not too noisy, with great food and good service. If you get a front window seat, you can sit and eat while watching NYC go by. Nice first date place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great healthy spotOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/11/2014Amazing food, delicious and healthy. Lots of great options, and the service was fast and on point. Will definitely go again!Special Features:
- Bland uninteresting foodBoulderVeganDined on 7/9/2014I was really hoping this restaurant would be great. It wasn't. Everything we had was a bland. The Kale salad was dull and lifeless and the dumplings were bad imitations. We also tried the Picatta which had a decent flavor (could have used more lemon) but the size of and thickness of the seitan was overpowering and had a rubbery consistency.
- Good organic restaurant!UWSVeganVIPDined on 7/8/2014Last night was not a good meal but most of the time the food is over the top fabulous!!Special Features:
- Candle Cafe is wonderful!itschocolate4meDined on 7/5/2014A wonderful restaurant with great choices for vegans--delicious for us non-vegans that don't want too many tofu products! Lots of choices--lots of yummy foods!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good meal!Teddi928Dined on 7/4/2014Since discovering Candle Cafe West a year ago we've remained faithful to its good food and fine service. We've never had a disappointing meal or overall experience at the restaurant, and friends we've referred have been similarly pleased. Candle Cafe boasts non-meat food that is both tasty and attractive, ad carnivores may be surprised by how delicious non-meat alternatives can be!Special Features: