154 East 79th Street
New York, NY 10021Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
OrganicPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://candle79.com/
- Phone: 2125377179x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Brunch: Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:30pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Vegetarian / Vegan, Vegan
- Executive Chef: Angel Ramos
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Delicious organic vegan catering for intimate at-home dinner parties, corporate events, weddings, and lavish galas. Recent events include Paul McCartney's private New York concert, David Steinberg's book signing, Mehmet Oz's HealthCorps fundraiser for 1000 guests, fundraisers in Peter Max's Art Studio, and a wedding shower at Norma Kamali's showroom. Regular caterer for PETA and Farm Sanctuary's yearly Galas.
A word from Candle 79
Candle 79 combines delicious organic vegan cuisine with gracious, knowledgeable service in a gorgeous duplex space. Lovingly crafted food fresh "from local farm to table." Intimate organic wine and eco-liquor cocktail bar. Favorite of East Side regulars and celebrities like Paul McCartney, Woody Harrelson, and Alicia Silverstone. The only vegan restaurant ever reviewed by former New York Times restaurant critic Frank Bruni, who wrote "Candle 79 showed me the light!"Continued
We offer an extensive Gluten Free Menu.
Brunch available Saturday and Sunday.
Take-out & catering available, no delivery.
We offer an extensive Gluten Free Menu.
Brunch available Saturday and Sunday.
Take-out & catering available, no delivery.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Candle 79 reviews from OpenTable diners
314 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (222)special occasion (152)romantic (135)neighborhood gem (132)great for lunch (73)great for brunch (52)notable wine list (44)good for groups (31)hot spot (28)kid-friendly (13)scenic view (9)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (7)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- If you want something different...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014I'm not vegan but when we head to NYC, we like to eat at Candle 79. It is such a great experience to eat vegan. You never leave hungry and the food has always been incredible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan findFannyDined on 9/27/2014excellent vegan fare, inventive, beautiful, and delicious. Noise level was just right. Easy to carry on a conversation but not so quiet you feel everyone is eavesdropping. Service was friendly and unobtrusive. Decor was lovely, tables arranged for privacy. Did I mention the food was delicious?Special Features:
- Innovative VegetarianGriffin9Dined on 9/25/2014We came here on a recommendation from a friend, and were not disappointed. My husband is a vegetarian and we loved the many choices. The food is all vegan as well, so I have to admit to my cheese-loving tastebuds it took a little adjustment. However, we both enjoyed our meals very much. The have a good wine selection, the service was great, I enjoyed the lighting and the view next to the large windows, and we were seated a full 15 minutes prior to our reservation time.Special Features:
- amazing!BeccaVIPDined on 9/25/2014I would be vegan if I could eat here every day. Possibly my favorite NYC restaurant...and I have been to many.Special Features:
- Best vegetarian restaurantHugodoggieVIPDined on 9/25/2014I always feel good after a meal at Candle 79. My favorite dish is the Setan Picatta. I am not wild about the deserts. However the waitstaff is great and I could eat here every night.Special Features:
- The Perfect DateZcowan1993Dined on 9/22/2014We were in New York City for a Jason Mraz concert, but had planned a day around it. My date has lived the vegan lifestyle for a few years now, so I was excited when I found candle 79 online. When you walk in you are immediately struck by the romantic atmosphere. From the employees dressed to the nine and the ambient lighting. Being someone who isn't vegan I was hesitant to try a lot of the food; but everything I tried was delicious. I highly recommend this restarting to anyone planning a special night for a special someone. Getting there from Time Square area also includes a walk through central park, which is beautiful at sunset.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pure BlissgjcarmicDined on 9/21/2014Dining at Candle 79 was amazing. The food was timely, hot, and made to perfection. I shared the chimichurri starter and stuffed avocado, then had the mushroom and vegetable fricassee, and then ended with the chocolate and peanut butter bliss mousse cake. Everything was delicious. Our service was also incredible- very professional yet extremely personable. Candle 79 is a great place to have quality vegan food, whether you are vegan or not.Special Features:
- ErinODined on 9/20/2014This is my second time dining at Candle 79, and both times it was fantastic. This visit I tried the dumplings, kale salad special and the seitan picatta. The salad was a nice surprise- it had an unusual combination of flavors (sweet potato, fig and avocado) that worked wonderfully together. I highly recommend the picatta- it is life altering. :) Everything was great and I can't wait to be back in NYC to dine here again!Special Features:
- Once Again...SamuelSVIPDined on 9/20/2014... exceeded expectations, overall. Only disappointment was when asking about low-fat options, waiter did not have or offer any suggestions. But, that is NOT to say the food was not great, regardless. Next time I will have them ask the chef... everyone in the party was quite pleased with everything, so much so that it was talked about for two (2) days afterwards.. Thank you and try this place..Special Features:
- Delicious and healthy (it happens)NuritVIPDined on 9/20/2014Being a vegetarian and gluten-free, I finally found a restaurant that has so many delicious selections. It also has vegan choices that accommodated our friends. Everytime I visit NYC, Candle 79 is on my list as a 'must have'. The service is 5star! Deliciously consistent in every aspect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Candle 79 good but blossoms betterOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/19/2014Went to candle 79 friday night food was ok ginger ale infusion was excellent and the chocolate dessert was great as well but went to blossoms near highland park and everything was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan at its bestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014It is rare to find a vegan restaurant that is more upscale, usually they are like cafes or diners. This is a place that can provide the ambiance and cuisine for special occasions as well as a sunday lunch. I love coming here and will return again and again when I am in NYC. I have their cookbook too now I am so inspired and love it.Special Features:
- 20 Year AnniversaryDandDDined on 9/16/2014One of our favorite restaurants on Earth, so of course we went there (from Chicago) to celebrate our 20 year anniversary. Dinner was awesome as always...Special Features:
- Unbelievable!!DeliciousVIPDined on 9/14/2014The best vegetarian restaurant that there is!! I look forward to go to whenever I am in New York!!Special Features:
- The best vegan resto in NYCRoZaiDined on 9/10/2014Candle 79 is the best vegan restaurant in NYC. The service was impeccable. The food was good. I'd definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/10/2014Great place to bring any non-vegan who thinks what vegans eat is strange or boring or tasteless. They will be awed by the food here.Special Features:
- Great experience, great foodsatellightDined on 9/9/2014Everything turned out fantastic. Our server was friendly and accommodating, the food was delicious —highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasion dining for all!!EricaFitzpatrickDined on 9/9/2014Absolutely wonderful experience. Great place to take your vegan boyfriend for his birthday! I would recommend this restaurant to anyone but especially those who a) appreciate vegetarian cuisine and/or have food allergies. Portion size is heftier than at other upscale vegan restaurants which we loved (hello leftovers!). Staff, ambiance, drinks - everything was perfect. I want to eat here every day!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ManhattanEricaDined on 9/9/2014We've been to Candle 79 several times and always enjoy it immensely. Food is creative, delicious, and healthy--a combination that's hard to beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- frogloverVIPDined on 9/8/2014As a vegetarian, this has become my favorite restaurant in NYC. I love the Seitan picata! For those meat eaters, the menu is limited, but if one is flexible enough, he will be surprised and delighted with the delicious taste of food that does not contain meat.Special Features:
- excellent placeAllanDined on 9/7/2014I had never been to a vegetarian restaurant before and so was looking forward to it. The service was friendly and informative. The booth was comfortable and private so we could carry on a conversation. and the food was creative and delicious. i would definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Ed from the UKEPCHRY68Dined on 9/7/2014Outstanding food with service to match. Interesting cocktails with staff willing to offer recommendations and who are clearly genuinely enthusiastic about the menu.Special Features:
- Great vegan foodbarrodctDined on 9/7/2014Only one member of our party was vegan but all enjoyed our meals very much. Two of us had the waffles - great texture and served with really nice fruit. The quinoa pancakes looks really good as well. The hubby (a carnivore) raved about the tofu scramble. The drinks were good as well a few mimosas. The only critique is that the service, while pleasant, was extremely slow. I had to flag someone down for an additional cup of tea. Our food took over 45 minutes to come. A little extreme.Special Features:
- excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014excellent menu and great sized portions...good valueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious vegan food!gloriousfoodDined on 9/6/2014Candle 79 has been on my restaurant list for a long time, and I'm glad I finally made a reservation there this weekend. The food is delicious and if I could cook like this on a daily basis I would go vegan. We had no complaints about any dish we ordered - their artichoke in a tomato sauce appetizer was so good! My entree was the popular seitan piccata, and of course, it did not disappoint. Dessert was a cannoli, which was my first vegan cannoli, and I couldn't tell the difference! Will definitely be back the next time I'm in the city. Great for a date night (lower level) or with a group of friends (upper level).Special Features:
- Lived up to expectationsItzydawDined on 9/6/2014What Candle 79 is able to do with vegetables is truly transformative. Each course was perfect in it's simplicity. The wine list complimented every aspect of the menu. We will be back on each future visit to NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great vegan restaurant.NutsforveganismDined on 9/6/2014It's basically our go-to spot when we spend a night in NYC. We are never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageEasterDinnerDined on 9/1/2014Food was quite mediicre, uninspiring, bland taste. Not much care taken in preparation
- Hate Veggies? Not After This!Candle79Dined on 9/1/2014Every dining experience here has been superb.....the chefs know their way around vegetables, and you'd be surprised to find you like dishes made with veggies you historically disliked. For example, the Caesar salad included kale, and the whole dish was so tasty you won't realize you're eating about the MOST nutritious leafy green out there! The drinks are creative and delicious, try the watermelon lemonade, wow. Lentil burger and polenta fries? Different and Delish! The food is filling, healthy, unusual and perfect for ANYONE. You don't have to be vegetarian or vegan to LOVE CANDLE 79 !!Special Features:
- Fantastic eveningFCfoodieDined on 8/31/2014This was definitely in the top meals that I've ever had, and I was amazed with all the flavor combinations and textures; not an easy feat for a vegan restaurant. The cocktail menu was very creative, and both of our drinks were delish. The service was prompt, and our server had an understated elegance and was able to eloquently describe dishes. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Consistent favoriteDisgustedVIPDined on 8/31/2014This was the first time I didn't like my entree. Everything else was perfect. The server said the meal I ordered (frichosee) was the most popular. It was flavorless and watery. I didn't eat it. But I've liked everything else about the food and restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbAmyEDined on 8/31/2014I had heard about Candle 79 years ago but never had the opportunity to eat lunch there until the end of August. It was even better than I imagined. The food was superb - light, interesting, flavorful, beautiful. The staff were all lovely. Everyone seemed relaxed and friendly. Our waiter was perfect and he had a lovely, warm smile. We all felt totally comfortable and welcome. We don't get into the city very often, but when we do we will certainly eat at Candle 79 again! Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Engagement ErrorTheGroomDined on 8/30/2014I didn't get the service I requested (cake with candles & VIP area) after double confirming with the host. Despite the incompetence, I was able to make this milestone enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not just for vegansBillNVIPDined on 8/30/2014All but the most dedicated carnivores would appreciate the savory products of this kitchen, any cook wanting to get some ideas for more creative handling of "sides" will find inspiration here, and certainly those whose dietary preferences are more restrictive will find this one of their best restaurant experiences. Ambiance is warm and relaxed, one notch down in formality from a white cloth resto but still very much a stylish neighborhood spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best Vegans...OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/27/2014I took two friends that are far from vegan and they both enjoyed. That says a lot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Done with this restaurantPamelaVIPDined on 8/27/2014Always loved Candle 79, but we both agreed we will never go back. Lunch on an August Wednesday. Service was horrible. My salad came and looked sooo small. I'd expected an entree-size salad. When I said as much, the waitress agreed and took it back, saying she'd get them to make it bigger. Then she returned with the SAME SALAD, spread out over the plate! I joked, "What did you do, just spread it out?" She said, "Yes"!!! Had to ask for spoons, napkins - twice. She brought the check without asking if we wanted dessert or coffee, which we did, so we had to bring her back to as for that. We were one of three tables, so it was not like she was busy. Food was OK, not great. We are definitely done with Candle 79.
- Great FindHarmonyDined on 8/27/2014I was totally amazed with the food and the staff....all staff were fully engaged and willing to share their knowledge on how dishes were prepared ......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great vegan varietyVeganfriendDined on 8/25/2014Of the numerous restaurants in New York that claim (!) to be vegan friendly, this one is really an exception. Candle 79 is definitely a good choice, where you will find a broad selection of tasty alternatives.Special Features:
- Excellent vegan food and varietysacshrinkVIPDined on 8/24/2014Just be prepared to spend a lot of $$ if you buy drinks or desert (even though wine is reasonably priced)I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful FindshowtimeDined on 8/24/2014It has been many years since i first had dinner at Candle 79. I disliked it intensely. Noisy, sat at a banquet and could not hear myself think. I only remembered what the couple adjacent to me were fighting about! This time a small table downstairs, wonderful waiter, food and service made the difference. Although noisy, it was an excellent dining experience. I'm into organic dining!Special Features: