154 East 79th Street
New York, NY 10021Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
OrganicPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://candle79.com/
- Phone: 2125377179x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Brunch: Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:30pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Vegetarian / Vegan, Vegan
- Executive Chef: Angel Ramos
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Delicious organic vegan catering for intimate at-home dinner parties, corporate events, weddings, and lavish galas. Recent events include Paul McCartney's private New York concert, David Steinberg's book signing, Mehmet Oz's HealthCorps fundraiser for 1000 guests, fundraisers in Peter Max's Art Studio, and a wedding shower at Norma Kamali's showroom. Regular caterer for PETA and Farm Sanctuary's yearly Galas.
A word from Candle 79
Candle 79 combines delicious organic vegan cuisine with gracious, knowledgeable service in a gorgeous duplex space. Lovingly crafted food fresh "from local farm to table." Intimate organic wine and eco-liquor cocktail bar. Favorite of East Side regulars and celebrities like Paul McCartney, Woody Harrelson, and Alicia Silverstone. The only vegan restaurant ever reviewed by former New York Times restaurant critic Frank Bruni, who wrote "Candle 79 showed me the light!"Continued
We offer an extensive Gluten Free Menu.
Brunch available Saturday and Sunday.
Take-out & catering available, no delivery.
We offer an extensive Gluten Free Menu.
Brunch available Saturday and Sunday.
Take-out & catering available, no delivery.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Candle 79 reviews from OpenTable diners
318 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (222)special occasion (152)romantic (136)neighborhood gem (128)great for lunch (77)great for brunch (57)notable wine list (45)good for groups (33)hot spot (32)kid-friendly (14)scenic view (9)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (8)great for outdoor dining (5)Show More
- Vegan at its bestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014It is rare to find a vegan restaurant that is more upscale, usually they are like cafes or diners. This is a place that can provide the ambiance and cuisine for special occasions as well as a sunday lunch. I love coming here and will return again and again when I am in NYC. I have their cookbook too now I am so inspired and love it.Special Features:
- 20 Year AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014One of our favorite restaurants on Earth, so of course we went there (from Chicago) to celebrate our 20 year anniversary. Dinner was awesome as always...Special Features:
- Unbelievable!!DeliciousVIPDined on 9/14/2014The best vegetarian restaurant that there is!! I look forward to go to whenever I am in New York!!Special Features:
- The best vegan resto in NYCRoZaiDined on 9/10/2014Candle 79 is the best vegan restaurant in NYC. The service was impeccable. The food was good. I'd definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/10/2014Great place to bring any non-vegan who thinks what vegans eat is strange or boring or tasteless. They will be awed by the food here.Special Features:
- Great experience, great foodsatellightDined on 9/9/2014Everything turned out fantastic. Our server was friendly and accommodating, the food was delicious —highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasion dining for all!!EricaFitzpatrickDined on 9/9/2014Absolutely wonderful experience. Great place to take your vegan boyfriend for his birthday! I would recommend this restaurant to anyone but especially those who a) appreciate vegetarian cuisine and/or have food allergies. Portion size is heftier than at other upscale vegan restaurants which we loved (hello leftovers!). Staff, ambiance, drinks - everything was perfect. I want to eat here every day!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- frogloverVIPDined on 9/8/2014As a vegetarian, this has become my favorite restaurant in NYC. I love the Seitan picata! For those meat eaters, the menu is limited, but if one is flexible enough, he will be surprised and delighted with the delicious taste of food that does not contain meat.Special Features:
- excellent placeAllanDined on 9/7/2014I had never been to a vegetarian restaurant before and so was looking forward to it. The service was friendly and informative. The booth was comfortable and private so we could carry on a conversation. and the food was creative and delicious. i would definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Ed from the UKEPCHRY68Dined on 9/7/2014Outstanding food with service to match. Interesting cocktails with staff willing to offer recommendations and who are clearly genuinely enthusiastic about the menu.Special Features:
- Great vegan foodbarrodctDined on 9/7/2014Only one member of our party was vegan but all enjoyed our meals very much. Two of us had the waffles - great texture and served with really nice fruit. The quinoa pancakes looks really good as well. The hubby (a carnivore) raved about the tofu scramble. The drinks were good as well a few mimosas. The only critique is that the service, while pleasant, was extremely slow. I had to flag someone down for an additional cup of tea. Our food took over 45 minutes to come. A little extreme.Special Features:
- excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014excellent menu and great sized portions...good valueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious vegan food!gloriousfoodDined on 9/6/2014Candle 79 has been on my restaurant list for a long time, and I'm glad I finally made a reservation there this weekend. The food is delicious and if I could cook like this on a daily basis I would go vegan. We had no complaints about any dish we ordered - their artichoke in a tomato sauce appetizer was so good! My entree was the popular seitan piccata, and of course, it did not disappoint. Dessert was a cannoli, which was my first vegan cannoli, and I couldn't tell the difference! Will definitely be back the next time I'm in the city. Great for a date night (lower level) or with a group of friends (upper level).Special Features:
- Lived up to expectationsItzydawDined on 9/6/2014What Candle 79 is able to do with vegetables is truly transformative. Each course was perfect in it's simplicity. The wine list complimented every aspect of the menu. We will be back on each future visit to NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great vegan restaurant.NutsforveganismDined on 9/6/2014It's basically our go-to spot when we spend a night in NYC. We are never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageEasterDinnerDined on 9/1/2014Food was quite mediicre, uninspiring, bland taste. Not much care taken in preparation
- Hate Veggies? Not After This!Candle79Dined on 9/1/2014Every dining experience here has been superb.....the chefs know their way around vegetables, and you'd be surprised to find you like dishes made with veggies you historically disliked. For example, the Caesar salad included kale, and the whole dish was so tasty you won't realize you're eating about the MOST nutritious leafy green out there! The drinks are creative and delicious, try the watermelon lemonade, wow. Lentil burger and polenta fries? Different and Delish! The food is filling, healthy, unusual and perfect for ANYONE. You don't have to be vegetarian or vegan to LOVE CANDLE 79 !!Special Features:
- Fantastic eveningFCfoodieDined on 8/31/2014This was definitely in the top meals that I've ever had, and I was amazed with all the flavor combinations and textures; not an easy feat for a vegan restaurant. The cocktail menu was very creative, and both of our drinks were delish. The service was prompt, and our server had an understated elegance and was able to eloquently describe dishes. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Consistent favoriteDisgustedVIPDined on 8/31/2014This was the first time I didn't like my entree. Everything else was perfect. The server said the meal I ordered (frichosee) was the most popular. It was flavorless and watery. I didn't eat it. But I've liked everything else about the food and restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbAmyEDined on 8/31/2014I had heard about Candle 79 years ago but never had the opportunity to eat lunch there until the end of August. It was even better than I imagined. The food was superb - light, interesting, flavorful, beautiful. The staff were all lovely. Everyone seemed relaxed and friendly. Our waiter was perfect and he had a lovely, warm smile. We all felt totally comfortable and welcome. We don't get into the city very often, but when we do we will certainly eat at Candle 79 again! Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Engagement ErrorTheGroomDined on 8/30/2014I didn't get the service I requested (cake with candles & VIP area) after double confirming with the host. Despite the incompetence, I was able to make this milestone enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not just for vegansBillNVIPDined on 8/30/2014All but the most dedicated carnivores would appreciate the savory products of this kitchen, any cook wanting to get some ideas for more creative handling of "sides" will find inspiration here, and certainly those whose dietary preferences are more restrictive will find this one of their best restaurant experiences. Ambiance is warm and relaxed, one notch down in formality from a white cloth resto but still very much a stylish neighborhood spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best Vegans...OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/27/2014I took two friends that are far from vegan and they both enjoyed. That says a lot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Done with this restaurantPamelaDined on 8/27/2014Always loved Candle 79, but we both agreed we will never go back. Lunch on an August Wednesday. Service was horrible. My salad came and looked sooo small. I'd expected an entree-size salad. When I said as much, the waitress agreed and took it back, saying she'd get them to make it bigger. Then she returned with the SAME SALAD, spread out over the plate! I joked, "What did you do, just spread it out?" She said, "Yes"!!! Had to ask for spoons, napkins - twice. She brought the check without asking if we wanted dessert or coffee, which we did, so we had to bring her back to as for that. We were one of three tables, so it was not like she was busy. Food was OK, not great. We are definitely done with Candle 79.
- Great FindHarmonyDined on 8/27/2014I was totally amazed with the food and the staff....all staff were fully engaged and willing to share their knowledge on how dishes were prepared ......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great vegan varietyVeganfriendDined on 8/25/2014Of the numerous restaurants in New York that claim (!) to be vegan friendly, this one is really an exception. Candle 79 is definitely a good choice, where you will find a broad selection of tasty alternatives.Special Features:
- Excellent vegan food and varietysacshrinkVIPDined on 8/24/2014Just be prepared to spend a lot of $$ if you buy drinks or desert (even though wine is reasonably priced)I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful FindshowtimeDined on 8/24/2014It has been many years since i first had dinner at Candle 79. I disliked it intensely. Noisy, sat at a banquet and could not hear myself think. I only remembered what the couple adjacent to me were fighting about! This time a small table downstairs, wonderful waiter, food and service made the difference. Although noisy, it was an excellent dining experience. I'm into organic dining!Special Features:
- Enjoyable VeganSallyGirlDined on 8/24/2014We are not vegan, but enjoy dining at Candle 79. It is great to have an excellent restaurant to take vegetarian friends to, as well. The food is always excellent and our waiter was exceptional. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is adventurous! (The fudgy browny a la mode at the end of our meal was out of this world good!!!)Special Features:
- Just AWESOME!TUBSUBDined on 8/24/2014Fabulous food, superb attentive services, hefty pricey but worth it! Their Avocado-Quinoa appetizer was simply outstanding - just like the rest of the food.Special Features:
- What a find!lgtravelbugDined on 8/23/2014My son texted me HELP! His girlfriend, who has Celiac, was coming to NY to visit him for the first time. He had taken her to a restaurant the night before for dinner and there was only one thing on the menu she could eat. He really wanted a nice, upscale dinner (not ethnic cuisine) and wanted to be sure she had options in ordering. Candle 79 fit the bill and more in every respect. They absolutely LOVED their meal. The food was creative and delicious, presentation was beautiful, service was on point, atmosphere nice, neighborhood trendy and not formal. It was a perfect evening! I got texts with pictures and lots of oohs and ahhhs.Special Features:
- Terrific mealMikeMDined on 8/23/2014We came here to celebrate our anniversary and couldn't have been more pleased with the entire evening. The atmosphere was romantic and comfortable. We enjoyed our before dinner cocktails, the appetizers, the delicious entrees and finally desert - just a great experience. We savored every bite and we will certainly be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always AwesomelopefryDined on 8/23/2014We went to Candle 79 for our anniversary. We've been there a few times before, but not for years. It was just as good as I remembered. The service is always prompt, friendly, but not invasive, and the food is pretty amazing. I'm vegetarian and my husband is not, but he always enjoys it too, and commented that it seems more like a nice restaurant than a vegetarian restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!TuesdayMorningDined on 8/23/2014This was my second time here. The first time was for my birthday dinner 2 years ago and they accommodated 10 of us without an issue. It was packed but since we hard reservations, a table was available to us. This time I came for lunch and had the brunch pre-fixe and it was incredible! A great bang for my buck. I got a mimosa, a nice big piece of lasagna, and for dessert a brownie a la mode. I've come here with vegans, vegetarians, and meat eaters and all have loved it. Everything has robust flavor and just tastes fantastic. The drinks are great too. I highly recommend! PS - a nice big bonus for my lunch this past weekend: Jada Pinkett Smith was sitting right by us! The staff was extremely professional.Special Features:
- Delightful for special occasionsSeriousDined on 8/22/2014The food is incredible, the cocktails are all extremely well-balanced. Had our engagement dinner here, and several birthday dinners. It never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurantvangogh54Dined on 8/22/2014I will always come back, and I will bring friends and family with meSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great gluten freebethmacDined on 8/22/2014Wonderful restaurant for those who are very conscious of what they are eating or those with food sensitivities. Very interesting menuSpecial Features:
- Good foodEfbratsDined on 8/21/2014Qe don't drink but if i could i'll come back they have lots of cocktails and good bar. The food is very vegetarian exquisite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- i love ❤ this restaurantvangogh54Dined on 8/20/2014I have been going to this restaurant for almost two years for lunch, and I love it, friendly staff, delicious vegan food, very nice ambiance. It's one of my favorite restaurantsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Candles 79deniseDined on 8/19/2014Love this vegan restaurant - probably our favorite in NYC! It never disappoints and the service is always top-notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.