154 East 79th Street
New York, NY 10021Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
OrganicPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://candle79.com/
- Phone: 2125377179x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Brunch: Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:30pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Vegetarian / Vegan
- Executive Chef: Angel Ramos
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Delicious organic vegan catering for intimate at-home dinner parties, corporate events, weddings, and lavish galas. Recent events include Paul McCartney's private New York concert, David Steinberg's book signing, Mehmet Oz's HealthCorps fundraiser for 1000 guests, fundraisers in Peter Max's Art Studio, and a wedding shower at Norma Kamali's showroom. Regular caterer for PETA and Farm Sanctuary's yearly Galas.
- Cross Street: Between Lexington and 3rd Avenues
- Public Transit: 6 Train to 77th Street and Lexington Avenue, #79 Bus to Lexington Avenue and 79th Street, and #101 & #102 Bus to Lexington Avenue and 79th Street or 3rd Avenue and 79th Street.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Zeta Parking
213 East 80th Street between 2nd & 3rd
Parking fees with Candle 79 stamp:
up to 4 hours - Mon-Fri $15, Sat-Sun $10
A word from Candle 79
Candle 79 combines delicious organic vegan cuisine with gracious, knowledgeable service in a gorgeous duplex space. Lovingly crafted food fresh "from local farm to table." Intimate organic wine and eco-liquor cocktail bar. Favorite of East Side regulars and celebrities like Paul McCartney, Woody Harrelson, and Alicia Silverstone. The only vegan restaurant ever reviewed by former New York Times restaurant critic Frank Bruni, who wrote "Candle 79 showed me the light!"Continued
We offer an extensive Gluten Free Menu.
Brunch available Saturday and Sunday.
Take-out & catering available, no delivery.
We offer an extensive Gluten Free Menu.
Brunch available Saturday and Sunday.
Take-out & catering available, no delivery.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Candle 79 reviews from OpenTable diners
332 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (220)special occasion (169)romantic (135)neighborhood gem (130)great for lunch (82)great for brunch (61)notable wine list (52)good for groups (38)hot spot (32)kid-friendly (17)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (12)scenic view (9)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- One of the best Vegans...OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/27/2014I took two friends that are far from vegan and they both enjoyed. That says a lot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Done with this restaurantPamelaDined on 8/27/2014Always loved Candle 79, but we both agreed we will never go back. Lunch on an August Wednesday. Service was horrible. My salad came and looked sooo small. I'd expected an entree-size salad. When I said as much, the waitress agreed and took it back, saying she'd get them to make it bigger. Then she returned with the SAME SALAD, spread out over the plate! I joked, "What did you do, just spread it out?" She said, "Yes"!!! Had to ask for spoons, napkins - twice. She brought the check without asking if we wanted dessert or coffee, which we did, so we had to bring her back to as for that. We were one of three tables, so it was not like she was busy. Food was OK, not great. We are definitely done with Candle 79.
- Great FindHarmonyDined on 8/27/2014I was totally amazed with the food and the staff....all staff were fully engaged and willing to share their knowledge on how dishes were prepared ......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great vegan varietyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Of the numerous restaurants in New York that claim (!) to be vegan friendly, this one is really an exception. Candle 79 is definitely a good choice, where you will find a broad selection of tasty alternatives.Special Features:
- Excellent vegan food and varietysacshrinkVIPDined on 8/24/2014Just be prepared to spend a lot of $$ if you buy drinks or desert (even though wine is reasonably priced)I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful FindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014It has been many years since i first had dinner at Candle 79. I disliked it intensely. Noisy, sat at a banquet and could not hear myself think. I only remembered what the couple adjacent to me were fighting about! This time a small table downstairs, wonderful waiter, food and service made the difference. Although noisy, it was an excellent dining experience. I'm into organic dining!Special Features:
- Enjoyable VeganSallyGirlDined on 8/24/2014We are not vegan, but enjoy dining at Candle 79. It is great to have an excellent restaurant to take vegetarian friends to, as well. The food is always excellent and our waiter was exceptional. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is adventurous! (The fudgy browny a la mode at the end of our meal was out of this world good!!!)Special Features:
- Just AWESOME!TUBSUBDined on 8/24/2014Fabulous food, superb attentive services, hefty pricey but worth it! Their Avocado-Quinoa appetizer was simply outstanding - just like the rest of the food.Special Features:
- What a find!lgtravelbugDined on 8/23/2014My son texted me HELP! His girlfriend, who has Celiac, was coming to NY to visit him for the first time. He had taken her to a restaurant the night before for dinner and there was only one thing on the menu she could eat. He really wanted a nice, upscale dinner (not ethnic cuisine) and wanted to be sure she had options in ordering. Candle 79 fit the bill and more in every respect. They absolutely LOVED their meal. The food was creative and delicious, presentation was beautiful, service was on point, atmosphere nice, neighborhood trendy and not formal. It was a perfect evening! I got texts with pictures and lots of oohs and ahhhs.Special Features:
- Terrific mealMikeMDined on 8/23/2014We came here to celebrate our anniversary and couldn't have been more pleased with the entire evening. The atmosphere was romantic and comfortable. We enjoyed our before dinner cocktails, the appetizers, the delicious entrees and finally desert - just a great experience. We savored every bite and we will certainly be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always AwesomelopefryDined on 8/23/2014We went to Candle 79 for our anniversary. We've been there a few times before, but not for years. It was just as good as I remembered. The service is always prompt, friendly, but not invasive, and the food is pretty amazing. I'm vegetarian and my husband is not, but he always enjoys it too, and commented that it seems more like a nice restaurant than a vegetarian restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!TuesdayMorningDined on 8/23/2014This was my second time here. The first time was for my birthday dinner 2 years ago and they accommodated 10 of us without an issue. It was packed but since we hard reservations, a table was available to us. This time I came for lunch and had the brunch pre-fixe and it was incredible! A great bang for my buck. I got a mimosa, a nice big piece of lasagna, and for dessert a brownie a la mode. I've come here with vegans, vegetarians, and meat eaters and all have loved it. Everything has robust flavor and just tastes fantastic. The drinks are great too. I highly recommend! PS - a nice big bonus for my lunch this past weekend: Jada Pinkett Smith was sitting right by us! The staff was extremely professional.Special Features:
- Delightful for special occasionsSeriousDined on 8/22/2014The food is incredible, the cocktails are all extremely well-balanced. Had our engagement dinner here, and several birthday dinners. It never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurantvangogh54Dined on 8/22/2014I will always come back, and I will bring friends and family with meSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great gluten freebethmacDined on 8/22/2014Wonderful restaurant for those who are very conscious of what they are eating or those with food sensitivities. Very interesting menuSpecial Features:
- Good foodEfbratsDined on 8/21/2014Qe don't drink but if i could i'll come back they have lots of cocktails and good bar. The food is very vegetarian exquisite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- i love ❤ this restaurantvangogh54Dined on 8/20/2014I have been going to this restaurant for almost two years for lunch, and I love it, friendly staff, delicious vegan food, very nice ambiance. It's one of my favorite restaurantsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Candles 79deniseDined on 8/19/2014Love this vegan restaurant - probably our favorite in NYC! It never disappoints and the service is always top-notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DELISHNYCresidentDined on 8/19/2014Went for dinner: The vegan and the meat eater both enjoyed the meal! The meal was delicious and the portion size was perfect. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Aaaahh-mazing!ckmauiDined on 8/18/2014Best vegetarian food I have ever had! Gluten Free and Dairy free options abound! Delicious!Special Features:
- Best vegetarian menu anywhereImhungryDined on 8/17/2014We loved the food so much we bought the cookbooks for Candle 79 and Candle West. As a total vegetarian 100% of the time, who is a well traveled foodie, I thought the food was outstanding. It is wonderful to get great vegetarian without needing to go Indian, Japanese, or Mediterranean. What a treat! We had four people and particularly loved the veggie crepe, and the seitan piccata. We are eager to try all the other items as well.Special Features:
- Vegan ParadiseGroucho1313Dined on 8/16/2014It is wonderful to find a restaurant where a couple of knucklehead vegans like us can go to have a romantic dinner, just like we used to be able to do in the carcas-munching days of our past. Plenty of fantastic selections from which to choose (instead of the usual "we have salads you can eat"). Good wine list. And open late enough to go after seeing "Hedwig"! A great treat for us and, for those about to Rock Vegan, we salute you.Special Features:
- Yum!PevaDined on 8/15/2014We really enjoyed our meal, in particular the dessert and cocktails were spectacular. One of the best vegan desserts we've had! We booked ahead and got our table bang on time. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan at its bestGlenDined on 8/15/2014I have not been to every vegan restaurant, but I have been to several (I am an omnivore, but my daughter is vegetarian) and I have to say this was very good. Each dish we had and shared was flavorful and to the point. I left satisfied to have had an extremely pleasant dining experience. And, best of all, the cocktails were really, really good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- TitoDined on 8/14/2014Light and tasty vegan food, perfectly prepared. Seitan piccata and blueberry pie were outstanding. Service amiable. Air conditioning a bit too strong.Special Features:
- Best vegan foodbxlvegan1Dined on 8/14/2014I've been a vegan for a few years and I've been to many vegetarian and vegan places, but this was some of the best vegan food I've had so far. Literally everything on the menu sounded amazing. Great service and ambiance! Will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deliciouskd31Dined on 8/12/2014The food was delicious. The staff was so welcoming and nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- janegoldVIPDined on 8/12/2014the food is incredible !!! you don't have to be a vegitarian or a vegan to enjoy this fantastic creations!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific first tryLarryVIPDined on 8/12/2014This was my first visit and I found it intriguing and terrific. Good service, interesting menu, and ample food. So good that I booked a visit to the West Side version for the same weekSpecial Features:
- Love the food here!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/11/2014It's inventive and delicious! I had raw stuffed squash blossoms, taking raw food to another level. Book ahead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Candle 79 was a lot of funArthurJacobVIPDined on 8/10/2014We tried a sampling of their appetizers and entrees and were really pleased with our selections. We'd def. return and I think even an open minded carnivore would like this vegan restaurant. Almost all the dishes looked tempting so it was difficult to choose. The service and atmosphere were not as upscale as we'd anticipated but, no matter, it was really fun to try creative dishes with absolutely no egg, cheese etc. Not your 70's type of vegan cuisine that's for sure! And you will not leave hungry.Special Features:
- Great Foodues31586Dined on 8/8/2014The food was great, the ambiance was great, the service was great, and the venue was clean. Definitely recommend.Special Features:
- So wonderfully surprisedSteeleheartDined on 8/8/2014We had a wonderful time at Candle 79. I am a non Vegan and yet I had my best meal of my 4 day stay in NYC. This was my first Vegan dining experience and I would go back again and again, my dinner was great, my tea divine and the dessert was so good I wished I had room for more. My husband who is a Vegan said it was one of his best meals ever also. The wait staff was great and I think the owner or manager came by to chat with us. It was so great. I would whole heartedly recommend Candle 79 to anyone Vegan or not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Healthy, clean eatingchocolateprincessDined on 8/8/2014Great for those who like to eat healthy clean food. While I am not a vegan, I do eat healthy clean food and thoroughly enjoyed my meal; especially the home made ice cream. I don't believe you can make a poor choice when deciding what to eat here. This restaurant has been added to my list of favorites.Special Features:
- Good vegan foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/8/2014While the food at candle 79 was good, I was hoping it to be better. I have to seirtan burger I found there was too much sauce on it and the bread was not homemade. Also the planter fries that came with it were not that flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- minus 5 starsSumikoDined on 8/7/2014I had never met such a poorest restaurant, especially service is the worst ever.
- StellarLejaDined on 8/7/2014The two of us shared the incredible appetizer special of purslane quinoa salad & as usual, wanted everything off the menu for our entree. This place is always consistently outstanding--hands down, our favorite NY restaurant. We recommend to everyone we know.Special Features:
- Delight for our taste budsCharmeTravellerDined on 8/6/2014,,I am not a vegi and when my wife wished for a vegitarian diner I was not keen on the idea at all. But Candle 79 changed my attitude completely!!! The food and taste were of amazing delight and with every bite I wished just for more... the only thing I can say is: go and Fry yourself! i am sure you will not be dissappointed!Special Features:
- Norhing Holds a Candle to ItSD71Dined on 8/6/2014Amazing veggie food and creative options in the middle if the concrete jungle. Just look past the flat service. Ask for upstairs front room has nice view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!MyraDined on 8/6/2014Delicious all organic all vegan food. Very creative. Seasonal veggies. Healthy food and naughty treats. They also had a great gluten free menu!Special Features: