154 East 79th Street
New York, NY 10021Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
OrganicPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://candle79.com/
- Phone: (212) 537-7179
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Brunch: Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:30pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Vegetarian / Vegan, Vegan
- Executive Chef: Angel Ramos
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Delicious organic vegan catering for intimate at-home dinner parties, corporate events, weddings, and lavish galas. Recent events include Paul McCartney's private New York concert, David Steinberg's book signing, Mehmet Oz's HealthCorps fundraiser for 1000 guests, fundraisers in Peter Max's Art Studio, and a wedding shower at Norma Kamali's showroom. Regular caterer for PETA and Farm Sanctuary's yearly Galas.
A word from Candle 79
Candle 79 combines delicious organic vegan cuisine with gracious, knowledgeable service in a gorgeous duplex space. Lovingly crafted food fresh "from local farm to table." Intimate organic wine and eco-liquor cocktail bar. Favorite of East Side regulars and celebrities like Paul McCartney, Woody Harrelson, and Alicia Silverstone. The only vegan restaurant ever reviewed by former New York Times restaurant critic Frank Bruni, who wrote "Candle 79 showed me the light!"Continued
We offer an extensive Gluten Free Menu.
Brunch available Saturday and Sunday.
Take-out & catering available, no delivery.
We offer an extensive Gluten Free Menu.
Brunch available Saturday and Sunday.
Take-out & catering available, no delivery.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Candle 79 reviews from OpenTable diners
321 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (227)special occasion (148)neighborhood gem (145)romantic (132)great for lunch (68)notable wine list (41)great for brunch (37)good for groups (33)hot spot (29)kid-friendly (11)late-night find (10)vibrant bar scene (7)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (4)Show More
- fresh & vibrantChowsueDined on 11/17/2014Outstandingly fresh and vibrant. We tried the zucchini enchiladas (the peas made this dish drool-worthy), the seitan/sweet potato special, the polenta fries with homemade ketchup, the artichoke app special, the Biodynamic Syrah and the Sustainable Malbec. Everything was outstanding. If I could eat like this every night, I would be a vegan too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice space, obviously popularOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/14/2014Several of the appetizers such as the onion rings, and the wheat balls, were very good. But as a group we found the entrées under seasoned and bland (even the vegetArian diner for whom we'd selected they restaurant). And our server seemed to be uninspired by his task, almost content to just take down what we ordered as opposed to guiding us through the restaurant's offerings.
- MCEFC78Dined on 11/14/2014A terrific blend of ingredients - perfect for vegetarians. we loved itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The hostess was ridiculousLuv2eatDined on 11/12/2014The food was pretty good and the service was good. What killed my experience is that the hostess came up to my friend and I shortly after our check came and asked us to move to another table. Rude. That could have been handled another way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Run don't walk to Candle 72Donnajillgutman1VIPDined on 11/11/2014I am recently gluten free. Abundant choices on both sides of the eating fence which are delicious abundant creative and beautifully presented. Great service. Lovely upstairs seating. Not very noisy. I would take someone there for a first date, spoken like a mother, right? Otherwise go with your spouse, partner, girlfriend. Candle 72, I miss you already.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/11/2014We were thoroughly pleased with absolutely everything. They were very conscious of our going to a play after dinner and things progressed smoothly without feeling rushed, Our waiter was very informative and helpful. As it turned out, years ago he worked at the Chicago Diner, where we had eaten many times!! We all shared a laugh about listening to the specials as in any other restaurant we generally tune them out as they wouldn't apply to us. We even remarked how we could order ANY item and it would be vegan!! Even the sustainable wine was a treat. Our only regret is that we don't live closer...maybe they'll branch out in Chicago some day. Michael and DeidreSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Choice for Vegan CuisineBostonDinerDined on 11/11/2014Enjoyed a superb lunch at Candle 79. I'm not vegan but I appreciate creative and well-prepared vegetarian/vegan cuisine, and Candle 79 did not disappoint. We began with the Mezze platter, which included several delectable options such as almond tzatziki and smoked hummus--delicious. I ordered the Wild Mushroom Crepe as an entree, which was flavorful and satisfying, albeit a bit scant on the mushrooms themselves (a minor criticism as the other vegetables in the crepe were wonderful). Skipped dessert on this visit, but will definitely save room next time as the desserts that were served at neighboring tables looked heavenly. Service was professional and pleasant, and the overall ambiance was soothingly reserved. A great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014Great restaurant! Great selection and tasty entrees. I would recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Veggie Delight!Lovelies73Dined on 11/8/2014We booked a table at Candle 79 in advance as we are from the UK and wanted a special meal to celebrate a birthday. We were seated promptly and the service from the friendly waiting staff was outstanding. The restaurant had a modern but cosy feel and is obviously popular with locals. The menu was interesting and varied and our meals were very tasty. Even though we were full, the dessert menu was too tempting not to indulge. We would recommend Candle 79 to anyone wanting a pleasant dining experience, either as a couple or group of friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uncharacteristically bad serviceDisgustedVIPDined on 11/8/2014We eat here about 4 times a year because the food is so good and usually the service is impeccable. This time, though, they seemed to have taken too many reservations. It took a long time for anyone to come to the table with water and to describe the specials. Then it took a really long time to get the drinks. Then it took a long time to get the food. The server never checked in to see how things were but the buser was hovering and we felt rushed to get out.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crepes from HeavenKatrinaDined on 11/8/2014We started with the steamed dumplings which were good. I finished with the Crepe filled with wild mushrooms, poblanos (tasty and spicy) and an aioli drizzled over the crepe. That was heavenly! Had to pass on dessert but will go back just for that.....Special Features:
- Vegan Organicsrk49VIPDined on 11/8/2014Had a craving for clean food for lunch. One app, two mains; $60 all in. Nice lunch but not a huge fan of the lack of flavor. Expected more.
- mehss4heelsDined on 11/7/2014Overpriced vegan food. Great ambiance, decent service, $23 for a seitan dish is absurd. $16 for guacamole and plantain chips is inexplicable.Special Features:
- vegan delightjm57VIPDined on 11/7/2014We found this vegan restaurant east of Central Park via a restaurant search in Manhattan. The staff was attentive and friendly and the decor warm and lots of wood. The fried seitan dumplings appetizer were nicely crunchy on the outside and the ground seitan stuffing had a nice flavor served over baby bok choy. The butternut squash and mushroom risotto was delicious with crunchy vegetable straws on top. Despite no cheese the dish was creamy, rich and delicious. We also enjoyed the seitan piccata. It had a pleasant tang and had a delicious sauce with capers. Dessert was a warm chocolate brownie with fudge sauce, fried banana, nuts and vegan ice cream - also delicious. The cocktail list was adequate, but incomplete - no CointreauSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/7/2014The food was amazing......fresh, creative, pure, and the staff was top notch, will be back many many times!Special Features:
- Good restaurant with ok foodKratiDined on 11/6/2014Went to Candle79 for my wedding anniversary dinner on a thursday night. We r both vegetarians. Food was good but nothing too innovative or oh-so-yummy. Dessert options were very limited. Service was really good. Wouldnt go here again for romantic dinner since the space here was small and tables were crowdedSpecial Features:
- New DietZDinerDined on 11/5/2014A week before dining here I had started eating oil-free vegan. Vegan is one thing, oil free is the really difficult part. The staff was up to the challenge and came up with several different entrees that fit my needs. They were delicious and this was the first night I could relax and feel optimistic about my new dietary standards.Special Features:
- The best healthy food there isNYCAngelsVIPDined on 11/4/2014The most deceptively vegan menu ever, nobody should feel like they are giving anything up just because there is no meat or dairy on the menu, the "imitations" and substitutions are so good that even meat lover guests like it. Celebs and nobodies alike remain undisturbed. The service is very good, and the restaurant team likes its product, and that comes through in their descriptions and explanations. The other Candle restaurants are good, but I like the more formal and elegant two story setting here.Special Features:
- A Gem!!!charmol12Dined on 11/4/2014First time at Candle 79 visiting from London. Great for us vegetarians and also carnivores as well. Special place wish there was one in London.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where's the meat?jaalgoDined on 11/2/2014Excellent vegan restaurant with fabulous dishes that make you forget you aren't eating any meat at all, but a combination of ingredients that more than make up for it. Not an inexpensive restaurant, but well worth the price every once in awhile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great vegan find!luv2dineDined on 11/1/2014I am not a vegan but whenever my friend comes to town I try to always find vegan restaurants because of her allergies. We found Candle 79 two years ago and are still going back everytime she is in town because it is so good. Even though I am not a vegan I love the flavorful food and extensive wine list, cannot wait to go back!Special Features:
- Perfection has a name: Candle 79OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014Absolutely Perfectly Excellent food. Surprising, Amazing and divine taste. Quality above the toughest expectation. Triple WOW ! Reserve early. Very busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- be open mindossonyDined on 10/31/2014I will start to say and make clear I am not vegan, pro-vegan and I am not intended to be in a future, but I am open to try any cuisine as longer it will be good, and i will definitely try again all those outstanding and amazing restaurants and "Candle79" is a place that i will try not just again but for sure many more times....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomenal!SuigenerisDined on 10/28/2014I am not a vegetarian or a gourmand, but with every mouthful I uttered sounds of satisfaction that usually come from the bedroom!Special Features:
- Lovely fine vegan diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014Entered to find a quiet dining area and a traditional bar downstairs. We were escorted upstairs to a nice table by the window. The mood lends itself to quiet conversation, but the unmotivated Top 40 music playing felt out of place and disturbed the mood. The staff was knowledgable and friendly, although a bit forgetful. Cocktails arrived late, long after the starters were ready, which was a bit odd. The seitan was some of the best we ever had, but one of the main dishes was clearly oversalted. Overall the food was excellent, but not perfect. I would compare it to Kopps in Berlin, out other favourite vegan fine dining spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014Foodie vegan heaven. I am from Australia. I love eating here when I am in New York.Special Features:
- A lovely Vegan Restaurant in NYMichelleMaBelleDined on 10/25/2014My daughter and I had a lovely evening meal here - food and ambience was excellent. The evening was only slightly marred by the waitress's assumption that after we had ordered starters we would progress straight to desserts. No mention of mains and we wondered if she was trying to tell us something about our appetities! Having said that, it was great for my vegetarian daughter to have the choice of the whole menu for a change and as a meat eater myself, I was really impressed with the selection and freshness of the ingredients.Special Features:
- Great service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/25/2014My friends and I absolutely loved our experience at Candle 79!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Wonderful Experience2foodiesDined on 10/24/2014I've lost count of the number of times we have eaten here. Every time we are able to try something new and have never been let down by a dish. Our meat-eating friends were surprised to find such hearty dishes that they enjoyed. It's great for just a night for the two of us or for showing new people to a different kind of food. There is something for everyone at Candle 79.Special Features:
- FABulous!nduddlesVIPDined on 10/24/2014This place is amazing from the ambiance to the service to the food. I dine gluten free and the options were endless along with the waiter being very knowledgeable it was a most pleasant dining experience.Special Features:
- Nice...frauschmidtDined on 10/24/2014Great non Daily icecream- pretty looking plates, big portions in good quality - overall we recommend it, but think it to be high-priced.Special Features:
- Not all tables created equalVeganDinerDined on 10/23/2014Brought my vegan daughter here during a family visit to NYC. Although we reserved in advance, Unfortunately we were sat at a table that was squeezed in next to the top of the stairs and under a drafty vent. The table was also slightly set so it was kind of blocking waiter access to the seating area. The traffic of steps, the draft, and the constant twisting of the waiters as they walked past just made the experience stressful and diminished enjoyment of the food. Sole of the dishes were quite good. We particularly enjoyed the mushroom and shallots and for dessert the coconut ice cream is delicious. I would not recommend the restaurant for foodies but would recommend it for vegans. OoenTable does not offer "for vegans" as a reco choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An OK Vegan PlacevegetarianDined on 10/23/2014Given the paucity of good vegetarian restaurants, this place is decent and appreciated. However, if you are looking for particularly creative, well-prepared food, there are other options that are better for the money.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan DelightBestFFDined on 10/21/2014Candle 79 is a treasure for discerning diners who want a meal that is fresh, healthy, pleasing on the palate, beautifully presented, and served by a staff that is knowledgeable and friendly. I've taken guests here of varied tastes, backgrounds, ages, and ethnicities, always with happy results. Interesting libations are available, too--beers, wine, spirits and non-alcoholic beverages as well. The latter includes a zesty homemade gingerale. You'll want to linger a bit, so save room for a sumptuous dessert savored in a relaxing atmosphere .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite placeBabsRDined on 10/20/2014I love this restaurant, it never disappoints. I wish more friends were willing to try "vegan" food, it's so original and complex. Not just "tofu". Service was great, they didn't rush us, and the dessert was out of this world. It's a little more expensive than Candle Cafe on Third, but has a more varied and creative menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedWhatsinyourpicnicbasketVIPDined on 10/20/2014I am not s vegetarian, I follow the Paleo diet and I had a wonderful, flavor filled lunch. The juices are delicious, guacamole was creamy and had a great flavor. I had a crisp salad with a great basil vinaigrette dressing. My lunch partners were pleased with their food choices and beverages as well, Burritos, homemade ginger ale and a cranberry drink that looked like a parfait. We will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedMJ15VIPDined on 10/19/2014We go to Candle 79 every time we are in Manhattan and always love it. We took my son's girlfriend because we wanted her to experience one of our favorite restaurants. Unfortunately the service was very slow and not attentive like it usually is. It was so slow that we didnt order cocktails. We only had one bottle of wine for the table because she never checked back with us. We did decide to have dessert and coffee but the coffee didn't arrive until we were nearly finished. Then we got an apology saying that they had to make a fresh pot. Then wait to bring the dessert at the same time. Very disappointing and embarrassing. Our guest wondered why we said we liked your restaurant so much.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014I picked this restaurant to try with my bf as I am new to vegetarianism. I was not disappointed, we loved it. The service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A consistent winnerVeganVictoriaDined on 10/18/2014This is plant based dining at it's best, highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, spotty servicefeedmeDined on 10/17/2014When we arrived, we were nicely greeted by the hostess and led to a corner table where we were seated to share a corner of the table - very nice. The drinks were good and the food was excellent. Our service was OK... until our server came up and told us that she was leaving and that her coworker would be taking care of us. Unfortunately, only half of that was accurate. She left, and we were abandoned. No more water service, etc. Finally someone came by to ask if we wanted dessert, and I responded that we just needed a check. And we waited --- 30+ minutes. Finally he came near enough for my wife to call out to get his attention and again ask for the check. I would dine here again as long as they promise not to leave/hold us hostage again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.