154 East 79th Street
New York, NY 10021Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
OrganicPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://candle79.com/
- Phone: 2125377179x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Brunch: Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:30pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Vegetarian / Vegan, Vegan
- Executive Chef: Angel Ramos
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Delicious organic vegan catering for intimate at-home dinner parties, corporate events, weddings, and lavish galas. Recent events include Paul McCartney's private New York concert, David Steinberg's book signing, Mehmet Oz's HealthCorps fundraiser for 1000 guests, fundraisers in Peter Max's Art Studio, and a wedding shower at Norma Kamali's showroom. Regular caterer for PETA and Farm Sanctuary's yearly Galas.
A word from Candle 79
Candle 79 combines delicious organic vegan cuisine with gracious, knowledgeable service in a gorgeous duplex space. Lovingly crafted food fresh "from local farm to table." Intimate organic wine and eco-liquor cocktail bar. Favorite of East Side regulars and celebrities like Paul McCartney, Woody Harrelson, and Alicia Silverstone. The only vegan restaurant ever reviewed by former New York Times restaurant critic Frank Bruni, who wrote "Candle 79 showed me the light!"Continued
We offer an extensive Gluten Free Menu.
Brunch available Saturday and Sunday.
Take-out & catering available, no delivery.
We offer an extensive Gluten Free Menu.
Brunch available Saturday and Sunday.
Take-out & catering available, no delivery.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Candle 79 reviews from OpenTable diners
292 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (210)special occasion (138)neighborhood gem (131)romantic (126)great for lunch (65)great for brunch (48)notable wine list (39)good for groups (32)hot spot (32)kid-friendly (12)vibrant bar scene (6)scenic view (5)late-night find (5)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Awesome experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014I picked this restaurant to try with my bf as I am new to vegetarianism. I was not disappointed, we loved it. The service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A consistent winnerVeganVictoriaDined on 10/18/2014This is plant based dining at it's best, highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, spotty serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/17/2014When we arrived, we were nicely greeted by the hostess and led to a corner table where we were seated to share a corner of the table - very nice. The drinks were good and the food was excellent. Our service was OK... until our server came up and told us that she was leaving and that her coworker would be taking care of us. Unfortunately, only half of that was accurate. She left, and we were abandoned. No more water service, etc. Finally someone came by to ask if we wanted dessert, and I responded that we just needed a check. And we waited --- 30+ minutes. Finally he came near enough for my wife to call out to get his attention and again ask for the check. I would dine here again as long as they promise not to leave/hold us hostage again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/16/2014A great meal enjoyed by 2 carnivores! This was our first vegetarian meal experience and will certainly not be our last. The food was fantastic and delicious. I did not miss having meat at all for my meal. The service was excellent and our waitress was very friendly and efficient. My only critical comment is that the booth was a little small and tight. I highly recommend Candle 79.Special Features:
- Great vegan resto!allyouneedisfoodDined on 10/13/2014I'm vegetarian and my bf is a bacon/steak/fried chicken-lover. We've had no-meat meals before, but he'd always notice something's been missing. Not this time. We each had a starter and an entree. I had the daily starter (something like grilled artichoke and palm hearts) and the wild mushroom risotto. He had the seitan skewers (yum!!!) and the chipotle-grilled tempeh. We also had polenta fries. For desserts, we had the ice cream sampler (3 scoops, made with soy, the flavors that day were pumpkin, cherry Cabernet, and peanut butter). The food was really good and portions were large!Special Features:
- Vegan fine diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014This food was absolutely spectacular. My partner and I are visiting the city this week and being vegan, we knew we needed a fancy dinner. I will say my brussel sprouts were lacking salt, but everything else - especially the Mexican chocolate brownie - was scrumptious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JessieJessieDined on 10/12/2014The meal was outstanding as was the service. Had nachos with beans/seitan for starter which were delicious (we shared which worked well) and then shared the Brussels sprout/winter veggie salad, also wonderful! Please come to MN!Special Features:
- Absolutely Delicious!chaimdogDined on 10/11/2014Candle 79 is a fantastic restaurant for anyone that is into food! Their menu is exquisite and very posh. The service was excellent and the atmosphere was beautiful. They have a special gluten free menu and are very allergy friendly. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a very special dinner in New York City!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was amazingDee7Dined on 10/11/2014The best dinner I've had! Nothing but rave reviews from this diner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- veg37Dined on 10/10/2014I had very high expectations based on their reputation and was disappointed. The food was adequate and the staff friendly. However, there are other vegan restaurants that are exceptional and comparable in price and I would recommend them before Candle79.
- Great Vegan SpotChocaholic4everDined on 10/5/2014Went for brunch with a few friends after a movie. Good food, nice atmosphere.Special Features:
- Delicious vegetables!CocoDined on 10/4/2014It was our first visit and the food and service were great! We were greeted warmly and our waiter was very informative and attentive. Ww will be back!Special Features:
- Bad AmbianceJohnDined on 10/3/2014The ambiance was bad. Everything in the 1th Floor looks old. The meal was nothing special. The wine was good. For this normal quality of the menu it was to expensive.
- Really nice supper experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/3/2014We very much enjoyed our Candle79 experience. We got mixed up in reservation time and they were very good about it. The food was great including a fantastic desert, I'd highly recommend going here.Special Features:
- A great food experinceAnnieDined on 10/2/2014We live in Australia and love to go to great restaurants and try all different foods. We aren't vegan but can recommend Candle 79 to anyone who just enjoys tasty,fresh and innovative food. This was one of our best eating experiences in NYC. CONGRATULATIONS ,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for vegetariansOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/2/2014I went to candle 79 because my friend is a vegetarian... But it doesn't have enough flavor for me, the non vegetarian... It was a nice place, don't see myself going again, but if you are a vegetarian then you will enjoy itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Healthy, but uneven diningApsaraDudeVIPDined on 10/1/2014The menu changes significantly from visit to visit. We are frequent diners at the restaurant but the food varies from oustanding to so-so. The descriptions in the menu are not always accurate so you're never sure about what you're going to get unless you've had it before. Things like Rosemary-Cabernet seitan with fall vegetables may sound light, but ends up being like meatloaf with potatoes. When the food is as expected and they get it right, it is truly sublime. Just be careful when ordering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you want something different...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014I'm not vegan but when we head to NYC, we like to eat at Candle 79. It is such a great experience to eat vegan. You never leave hungry and the food has always been incredible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan findFannyDined on 9/27/2014excellent vegan fare, inventive, beautiful, and delicious. Noise level was just right. Easy to carry on a conversation but not so quiet you feel everyone is eavesdropping. Service was friendly and unobtrusive. Decor was lovely, tables arranged for privacy. Did I mention the food was delicious?Special Features:
- Innovative VegetarianGriffin9Dined on 9/25/2014We came here on a recommendation from a friend, and were not disappointed. My husband is a vegetarian and we loved the many choices. The food is all vegan as well, so I have to admit to my cheese-loving tastebuds it took a little adjustment. However, we both enjoyed our meals very much. The have a good wine selection, the service was great, I enjoyed the lighting and the view next to the large windows, and we were seated a full 15 minutes prior to our reservation time.Special Features:
- amazing!BeccaVIPDined on 9/25/2014I would be vegan if I could eat here every day. Possibly my favorite NYC restaurant...and I have been to many.Special Features:
- Best vegetarian restaurantHugodoggieVIPDined on 9/25/2014I always feel good after a meal at Candle 79. My favorite dish is the Setan Picatta. I am not wild about the deserts. However the waitstaff is great and I could eat here every night.Special Features:
- The Perfect DateZcowan1993Dined on 9/22/2014We were in New York City for a Jason Mraz concert, but had planned a day around it. My date has lived the vegan lifestyle for a few years now, so I was excited when I found candle 79 online. When you walk in you are immediately struck by the romantic atmosphere. From the employees dressed to the nine and the ambient lighting. Being someone who isn't vegan I was hesitant to try a lot of the food; but everything I tried was delicious. I highly recommend this restarting to anyone planning a special night for a special someone. Getting there from Time Square area also includes a walk through central park, which is beautiful at sunset.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pure BlissgjcarmicDined on 9/21/2014Dining at Candle 79 was amazing. The food was timely, hot, and made to perfection. I shared the chimichurri starter and stuffed avocado, then had the mushroom and vegetable fricassee, and then ended with the chocolate and peanut butter bliss mousse cake. Everything was delicious. Our service was also incredible- very professional yet extremely personable. Candle 79 is a great place to have quality vegan food, whether you are vegan or not.Special Features:
- ErinODined on 9/20/2014This is my second time dining at Candle 79, and both times it was fantastic. This visit I tried the dumplings, kale salad special and the seitan picatta. The salad was a nice surprise- it had an unusual combination of flavors (sweet potato, fig and avocado) that worked wonderfully together. I highly recommend the picatta- it is life altering. :) Everything was great and I can't wait to be back in NYC to dine here again!Special Features:
- Once Again...SamuelSVIPDined on 9/20/2014... exceeded expectations, overall. Only disappointment was when asking about low-fat options, waiter did not have or offer any suggestions. But, that is NOT to say the food was not great, regardless. Next time I will have them ask the chef... everyone in the party was quite pleased with everything, so much so that it was talked about for two (2) days afterwards.. Thank you and try this place..Special Features:
- Delicious and healthy (it happens)NuritVIPDined on 9/20/2014Being a vegetarian and gluten-free, I finally found a restaurant that has so many delicious selections. It also has vegan choices that accommodated our friends. Everytime I visit NYC, Candle 79 is on my list as a 'must have'. The service is 5star! Deliciously consistent in every aspect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Candle 79 good but blossoms betterOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/19/2014Went to candle 79 friday night food was ok ginger ale infusion was excellent and the chocolate dessert was great as well but went to blossoms near highland park and everything was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan at its bestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014It is rare to find a vegan restaurant that is more upscale, usually they are like cafes or diners. This is a place that can provide the ambiance and cuisine for special occasions as well as a sunday lunch. I love coming here and will return again and again when I am in NYC. I have their cookbook too now I am so inspired and love it.Special Features:
- 20 Year AnniversaryDandDDined on 9/16/2014One of our favorite restaurants on Earth, so of course we went there (from Chicago) to celebrate our 20 year anniversary. Dinner was awesome as always...Special Features:
- Unbelievable!!DeliciousVIPDined on 9/14/2014The best vegetarian restaurant that there is!! I look forward to go to whenever I am in New York!!Special Features:
- The best vegan resto in NYCRoZaiDined on 9/10/2014Candle 79 is the best vegan restaurant in NYC. The service was impeccable. The food was good. I'd definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/10/2014Great place to bring any non-vegan who thinks what vegans eat is strange or boring or tasteless. They will be awed by the food here.Special Features:
- Great experience, great foodsatellightDined on 9/9/2014Everything turned out fantastic. Our server was friendly and accommodating, the food was delicious —highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasion dining for all!!EricaFitzpatrickDined on 9/9/2014Absolutely wonderful experience. Great place to take your vegan boyfriend for his birthday! I would recommend this restaurant to anyone but especially those who a) appreciate vegetarian cuisine and/or have food allergies. Portion size is heftier than at other upscale vegan restaurants which we loved (hello leftovers!). Staff, ambiance, drinks - everything was perfect. I want to eat here every day!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ManhattanEricaDined on 9/9/2014We've been to Candle 79 several times and always enjoy it immensely. Food is creative, delicious, and healthy--a combination that's hard to beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- frogloverVIPDined on 9/8/2014As a vegetarian, this has become my favorite restaurant in NYC. I love the Seitan picata! For those meat eaters, the menu is limited, but if one is flexible enough, he will be surprised and delighted with the delicious taste of food that does not contain meat.Special Features:
- excellent placeAllanDined on 9/7/2014I had never been to a vegetarian restaurant before and so was looking forward to it. The service was friendly and informative. The booth was comfortable and private so we could carry on a conversation. and the food was creative and delicious. i would definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Ed from the UKEPCHRY68Dined on 9/7/2014Outstanding food with service to match. Interesting cocktails with staff willing to offer recommendations and who are clearly genuinely enthusiastic about the menu.Special Features:
- Great vegan foodbarrodctDined on 9/7/2014Only one member of our party was vegan but all enjoyed our meals very much. Two of us had the waffles - great texture and served with really nice fruit. The quinoa pancakes looks really good as well. The hubby (a carnivore) raved about the tofu scramble. The drinks were good as well a few mimosas. The only critique is that the service, while pleasant, was extremely slow. I had to flag someone down for an additional cup of tea. Our food took over 45 minutes to come. A little extreme.Special Features: