Candelas on the Bay
1201 1st Street, Ste 115
Coronado, CA 92118Neighborhood:
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $50 and over
Candelas on the Bay
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.candelas-sd.com/
- Phone: 6194354900
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern, French
- Executive Chef: Eduardo Baeze
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We can cater events on the beach for up to 200 people with an unparalleled harbor backdrop. Two open-air terraces that can hot parties of 20 to 50 in style, as well as a private room that can hold up to 40 people and that is equipped wit a projection screen for business meetings and presentations. Our warm and intimate indoor dining room holds up to 70 people, including a separate lounge with a DJ and space for 50 at the bar, all with harbor views that will give any event that extra special detail and authenticity that Candelas has come to be known for.
- Private Party Facilities: Candelas on the Bay can accommodate events in size from 15 to 200. We can customize menus to meet your every need and expectation. Contact us for specifics.
- Private Party Contact: Roger Boomer 6194354900
- Entertainment: Candelas lounge offers an atmosphere ideal for entertaining whether you are entertaining one special person or a group of friends. Live entertainment by our DJ will add a rhythmic energy to your experience.
A word from Candelas on the Bay
Candelas on the Bay will be offering a number of unique and versatile, dining accommodations. Whether you're a party of two or two hundred we have the different facilities to meet any type of entertaining needs. An intimate hacienda for a romantic rendezvous, a semi-private room for business meetings, or the entire restaurant for larger affairs, Candelas on the Bay can provide the best in, "Mexico City" style of cuisine, impeccable service, and breathtaking views of San Diego's skyline and bay.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Candelas on the Bay reviews from OpenTable diners
- Poor qual food & servc for $SmartWomanDined on 7/23/2013Outrageous! NEVR again. Gift card only reason stayed; service, food qual all very poor. Clue 1 was how empty it was there lunch on a Taco Tues. Only thing going for this plc is view. No lunch menu! Forced outrageous dinner menu. Poor taste & quality you get. I have had better tasting food at a taco shop! Bc we were 6, chrgd us hefty gratuity we wouldn't have paid had it not been already billed. Ordered 2 appetizers, Nachos & guac w stale chips which took forever to get on the table then another long wait for very poor quality meals. I had mole and they did not even sprinkle sesame seeds which is an absolute for this dish IF you know how to derve it & the rice on the side was COLD! Do not waste your $$. I will YELP this review too.Special Features:
- Once was enoughOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/16/2013BEAUTIFUL view, decent food, poor service. There are better options out there.Special Features:
- Excellent food and servicegeorgeVIPDined on 5/25/2013Excellent food and service -- if you have enchiladas, and you should, definitely try the mole.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/12/2013I had such a great time and so did my mom because I took her there for Mother's Day. The service was excellent like alwaysSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very DisappointingMRCPDined on 5/3/2013I was very disappointed with the experience. We had to wait for our table. Our server came across as an arrogant woman with "airs". The server brought my wife the wrong entree. Our entrees were medicore and overpriced. The dessert was even more medicore and more over-priced than the entrees. The restaurant was so loud tihat my wife and I couldn't carry on a conversation. I will never visit this restaurant again. The best part of the evening was the view of the San Diego Bay and San Diego skyline. What a waste of my hard-earned money!Special Features:
- Went here because FrommersOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/13/2013Went here because Frommers recommend it. The food was just OK (quality didn't match the prices). The food took a long time to arrive. The only great thing about this place is the view.Special Features:
- Great Food,Service and QualityOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/12/2013Great Food,Service and Quality Tequilas..... This place is not a cheap date, but you will feel as if you made it to 3rd base!Special Features:
- Best brunch in San Diego County!!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/31/2013Candelas in Coronado has THE best brunch for and incredible price! The menu is always great including Mexican or Mexican-inspired dishes. Our server, Fernando, was outstanding - he always is and we always request him because he makes the whole experience memorable. Of all the servers we have ever had, Fernando is the best --- and he knows wines and, in particular, Mexican wines. We usually cook at home for Easter, but some remodeling issues prevented us from doing so this year so we went to Candelas with friends and family. We enjoyed ourselves because of the ability of Candelas to create a mix of casual and fine dining in a warm, relaxed yet active setting. And, I have to mention that the view of the San Diego skyline is unparalleled!Special Features:
- Candelas!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/23/2013Candelas on the bay is possibly one of my favorite restaurants, it's always got the job done when it comes to wanting to take my girlfriend out for a nice romantic dinner, the service is awesome, your cup of water is never empty for more than a minute, the food is decent priced and it's very good, and the view, well nothing beats it.Special Features:
- !! WE DO NOT RECOMMAND THISOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 3/9/2013!! WE DO NOT RECOMMAND THIS PLACE !! We booked for 7:30pm Our table was ready at 8:00... but given to somebody else We had to wait for another 20 minutes! Very noisy: we can not hear ourselves at the same table. Victim of good reviews...
- Nice Bay View with Great Food!WVUHammyDined on 2/27/2013Candela's on the Bay, located on Coronado Island, was a wonderful choice to meet some long time friends for dinner. The view of San Diego is great and the staff is wonderful. The service is attentive and the food was tasty. I would certainly recommend the restaurant for a nice dinner with friends or a romantic night out.Special Features:
- The restaurant was beautiful,IrisDined on 2/22/2013The restaurant was beautiful, with nice views of the city. It was, very cold and we had to leave our coats on. It was National Margarita Day and I was in search of the perfect one. Coming from Texas, I'm pretty picky about them and I always order the frozen. While the consistency was perfect, it was a little tasteless, but still better than I've had in the San Diego area. The Carnitas tacos were amazing! They put huge shredded chunks of pork tenderloin in each Taco. My fiancée had the rib eye tacos and they were very tasty, as well. While the meat was flavorful and tender, it needed something else in the taco, besides meat & cheese. Serve with pico or hot sauce, lettuce, guacamole. Guacamole could have used more flavor/spice.Special Features:
- i would go back ..CharlesVIPDined on 2/14/2013great food,atmosphere, and service .. what else do i say ..Special Features:
- Give your review a titledjemx2Dined on 2/13/2013They have a paleo menu but don't get too excited about it - just make your own meal at home.Special Features:
- This was our second diningNandRDined on 1/25/2013This was our second dining experience at Candelas on the Bay. The food was excellent. The view is spectacular. Service was very good.Special Features:
- Fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/25/2013Came to Candelas on the bay for my 7th wedding anniversary, we had a reservation and were promptly seated on time. We were sat by the beautiful view of San Diego and the the bay, super romantic and the staff were very catering and attuned to us. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Fantastic meal and unbelievableCelebrationDined on 1/19/2013Fantastic meal and unbelievable view.....loved it! Gracias =)Special Features:
- A mustSDFoodieVIPDined on 1/14/2013Met for an early dinner with a childhood girlfriend who was visiting from out of town. Our server Fernando was awesome. He was so friendly and energetic. You could tell he was very passionate about the menu and did everything possible to ensure we had an amazing experience. Have been here on numerous occasions for drinks and to enjoy the view. We always stop at Candalas when we cross the bridge over to Coronado. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- The view is worth a star byLieslmDined on 1/12/2013The view is worth a star by itself. The food is good, not great. Service was quite attentive and helpful. Apart from the view, I like the Candelas location downtown better for ambiance. I would return to the restaurant for the view if entertaining out of town guests.Special Features:
- Very Nice Food!ManoloVIPDined on 12/27/2012Very nice food! Flavours of Mexico! Service very good! Great location in Coronado Island.Special Features:
- Canelas on the Bay is a greatpostiecatDined on 12/25/2012Canelas on the Bay is a great restaurant. Food is always good here. Sitting outside on the enclosed patio watching the boats go by is wonderful. Even though I live here the San Diego skyline is amazing from here. A bit pricey, but definately worth it.Special Features:
- Service was good and foodAvianDined on 12/8/2012Service was good and food was very presentable as well as tasty. At first the portion seemed small but in the end it was just enough to fill you up. Good wine selection and server made it awesome for my girl's birthday! Would definitely go again! And with the right timing, you can't beat the sunset view of downtown. Finish with a walk along the beach, very nice.Special Features:
- No BuenoOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/15/2012It has been a few years since we dined at Candelas on the Bay, and it has changed. It is a much more casual place than we recalled (no more linens on table, paper menu instead of menu book), and it was quite noisy. The views are of course amazing, but it just didn't jive (casual vibe with romantic views). The food was also not near as good as we recalled, especially for the prices. We will not revisit ~ no longer our cup of tea.Special Features:
- Waiter very good, very accommodatinEBordieriDined on 10/28/2012Waiter very good, very accommodating to special diet restrictions.Special Features:
- We've been to Candela's inOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/26/2012We've been to Candela's in downtown San Diego several times. The downtown location is more private and intimate. The downtown location has a very upscale feel to it. This was the first time we had been to Candela's on the Bay, and expected it to be similar. Coronado is much more relaxed and casual. The menu appeared to be less sophisticated as well, although the food was very good. The view was amazing. We would go back, but definitely not as a replacement for the experience in the downtown location.Special Features:
- Not traditional Mexican, butOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/20/2012Not traditional Mexican, but very good. My wife had enchiladas, and they were amazing. I saw mixed reviews on Candelas, but we had a nice experience.Special Features:
- Loved the meal, restaurantCelebrationDined on 10/7/2012Loved the meal, restaurant and ambiance! The jicama, shrimp burrito was out of this world. Everyone loved their meal, and would happily return.Special Features:
- We love the attention theyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/7/2012We love the attention they have us. Overall great experience!Special Features:
- This was my first time here.pkwhouVIPDined on 10/5/2012This was my first time here. A wedding party was using the entire patio space, so all other people were in the dining room. It was extremely loud, and it took a very long time to get drinks whenever you ordered them, but our soups and main entree were delicious and worth the trip.Special Features:
- The horchatatini and the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/23/2012The horchatatini and the food was delicious!!! The view of the San Diego skyline was amazing.Special Features:
- The food and drinks were veryCindyCVIPDined on 9/8/2012The food and drinks were very good. We had a very good server, Chuck who paid great attention to us. The view is outstanding!Special Features:
- Arrived for reservations andOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/18/2012Arrived for reservations and promptly seated. 20 minutes and not so much as a greeting from our waitress. We were the only non-Spanish speakers in our section and tried several times to stop the waitress or food runner. Another table of Spanish speaking patrons were seated next to us and received a warm greeting and immediate service. Needless to say we walked to the hostess station and complained, then left. 40 minutes total without service and every table around us were being served. We were shocked by the rudeness and what could have been interpreted as racism from the staff.
- Good for a tourist areaOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/11/2012This is a tourist area and was very crowded on a Saturday evening (though we had no problem getting a reservation via OpenTable). It was noisy anyway, and there was a wedding with loud music playing in the next room, but it was an energetic atmosphere, so the noise wasn't a real issue. We made our reservation late in the day, but we had a nice table by the window looking out at the skyline and water. The dinner menu was large and the food was good for a tourist area. However, we waited over an hour for our dinner. The waitress came by to apologize for the backup in the kitchen, but made no effort to offer us anything to make up for it. Rather disappointing they wouldn't even make an effort. Overall, though, I'd go back if in the area.
- Candelas is always one ofGolferGirlVIPDined on 8/4/2012Candelas is always one of our favorites, however, our last visit wasn't anything special. Our waitress seemed to be in a rush and pressed us to order, even though we asked for more time to enjoy our wine twice! She definitely wanted to turn our table over that night! The food was just o.k. - a bit disappointing as we had brought friends visiting from back East there for dinner, bragging that it was one of the best restaurants around. Not this time. Too bad - the view is outstanding but with all the competition in San Diego, I think it takes more than that to fill the seats.Special Features:
- Really great spot right atOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/3/2012Really great spot right at the Ferry landing in Coronado. Great, authentic Mexican food and a beautiful outdoor patio for dining.Special Features:
- Great location and view.barkerdogDined on 8/2/2012Great location and view. Service was terribly slow and the restaurant was not very busy. Food was ok, vegetarian dish lacked some zip, was kind of bland. But at least they offered a vegetarian option.Special Features:
- This was my second trip toOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/28/2012This was my second trip to Candelas, and it was the second time I visited for an anniversary with my girlfriend. There was a reason we both decided to come back for such a special occasion. The food is amazing, the service was comforting, and the view of the San Deigo skyline from across the water is second to none. We will be back soon!!!Special Features:
- CandelasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/24/2012The food was good! Not quite as amazing as the original Candelas, but what was lacking in food was made up in view! It is beautiful. I will say, the Octopus ceviche was outstanding.Special Features:
- Enjoyed a beautiful view andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/18/2012Enjoyed a beautiful view and good food. Hostess and service staff were very accommodating.Special Features:
- A reasonable experience...nofastfoodDined on 7/4/2012Made reservation for July 4. Asked for table with view and received probably the best table in the house. However, the actual wait staff screwed up the order of the meal. Brought bread after the entrees. The restaurant was full, but it was not "packed," so I don't think there was any excuse for the service issues. The food was good. We had a party of four and everyone enjoyed what they ordered. The prices seemed fair for the combination of food and ambiance. However, the margaritas were weak. Everyone agreed that their drink was mostly mixer -- no one got a buzz. Note that while this is a Mexican restaurant, it is not a "chips and salsa" joint. If you want a nice experience on the waterfront, then Candelas is a goot upscale option.