2909 NE 6th Ave.
Wilton Manors, FL 33334Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.candelarestaurant.com/
- Phone: (954) 563-8088
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Cuban, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Armando Vega
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Armando Vega 9545638088x
- Entertainment: Thursdays and Saturdays, Live Music
A word from Candela
Candela blends authentic Spanish, Italian and Cuban cuisines with inspiring results... Chef Armando Vega meticulously minds each dish, occasionally emerging from the kitchen to chat with his clientele... The pace of the service here is attentive but leisurely, geared toward a lengthy sit for wine and conversation.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Candela - Best Restaurants in Wilton Manors ›
Candela reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (32)neighborhood gem (28)special occasion (15)good for groups (14)romantic (13)notable wine list (11)late-night find (4)hot spot (1)Show More
- Spanish Food At Its BestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014The service is exceptional and the food excellent and tasty. Nice variety of Spanish wine. The chef comes around to the tables while customers are dining which is a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food.AR2014Dined on 11/8/2014The food was excellent and the ambiance was quaint. Owners interact with the customers which is very nice. Location not the greatest but the food is worth the trip!I would recommend this to a friend.
- DonandEllaDined on 10/28/2014This is a very friendly family owned restaurant. The food is extremely flavourful and very well presented. It is a very popular place, and we recommend a reservation. They charge a very fair price for the quality of food and service that you receive, and you will find a nice mix of seafood, vegetable, or red meat dishes; something for everyone. You will also find a large family style dining room table, out of the way, for small groups We love it here and will always go back.Special Features:
- Happy customerqueenieDined on 10/25/2014There were some glitches with the wait staff, some of whom were obviously in training. The food was enjoyed by our group of four and the presentation of the dishes was an asset. The atmosphere was friendly and fellow diners seemed to be repeat customers. Even though the exterior of the restaurant and its surroundings are not very inviting, the food overcomes any misgivings. Innovative menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spotLovfoodDined on 10/21/2014Candela is an absolute gem. Every dish ordered was perfection. The service is attentive and the chef/owner checked personally that all was to our satisfaction.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it was only okayFLLfoodieVIPDined on 10/18/2014Saw this restaurant on a local television show, and it sounded pretty good. When we got there and were seated, it was 10 minutes before anyone in the dining room spoke to us, and, even then, it was when I snagged a bus-boy and asked for some water. A few minutes later, the waitress came over. The food was okay; we started off with some yucca fries, then some calamari. I had a seafood paella for the main course. The food was okay but did not jump out and would not drive a return. The service was very disorganized and inattentive. They tried to serve us the yucca fries 3 times (guess that's better than not serving at all), and the waitress admonished the bus people publicly in the dining room. ok but would not travel far.
- PassionMariaCDined on 10/7/2014It was a pleasure to see and talk to the chef. He came to the table and explained his dishes, the creation and the area where the inspiration came from. Chef Armand has passion and pleasure on what he does and that is reflected on his food. Dishes were absolutely to die for. The best octopus I ever eat in my life. My husband and I had a few tapas. Good enough to share and one better than the other. Flan at the end was EXCELENT. I will definitely go back many many times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad to be back!!JJSATNYVIPDined on 10/4/2014Was happy when my wife suggested going back. Second time here and again we were not disappointed. Food from appetizers to entrees was so fresh and flavorful. We took home the leftovers and actually ate them the next day, that doesn't happen very often. A true family restaurant feel with everyone pitching in to provide excellent service. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Authentic tapasPashminaGirlVIPDined on 9/27/2014Visited for a birthday. Questionable from the outside.. So FL strip mall. But pleasantly surprised with the charming interior. Our table was waiting for us. Hostess was lovely and served us. The waiters seemed new. Not a negative per se. The food was delicious. We started with chorizo in wine and sardines. Both wonderful. Pork with blue cheese sauce a hit. Seafood with pasta ordered by two in our party. Another had the lamb chops. I had the steak with garlic potatoes. Everything was delicious. A slice of almond cake for dessert (a member of our party is from Spain and said the cake was authentic...as were the tapas). The chef is friendly and sat with us for a while. We will absolutely go back to this restaurant.Special Features:
- An excellent dinnerLDOnFLLVIPDined on 9/27/2014We very much enjoy this restaurant. We shared the artichoke and Serrano ham appetizer. Surprising, it came out warm with a very garlic infused oil at the bottom of the plate. That oil was PERFECT for dipping the bread. We almost couldn't stop. But as the portions are big in this restaurant, we knew we had to refrain from overeating the bread! For dinner, we each selected the lamb. It was perfectly cooked (medium rare) and is accompanied by chickpeas. They make a perfect flavor and texture combination. The Moroccan chicken is another favorite here. We shared a pitcher of sangria. Dinner, tax and tip was just over $100 for two people.Special Features:
- A must!ThelVIPDined on 9/26/2014This often overlooked gem is a constant source of surprise to new visitors. The menu is quite varied, very creative and the freshly prepared food a delight! Once you have eaten at this restaurant you will keep returning over and over again.Special Features:
- DelishAccountantDined on 9/26/2014Once again we had a fabulous night at Candela. We drive crosstown to eat here as often as possible. Started with fresh Burrata cheese app, stuffed piquita peppers, and roasted beet salad. We order whenever available. The special was steak that chef cooks (mysteriously) for 2 days. It was perfectly done (medium) and tender as butter. Roasted potatoes came with, crispy and salted just right to go with the steak. The wusses in the group drank a lovely Sangria in Candela's new customized pitchers and remainder had some wonderful Malbec wine. We were early enough that Chef Armando came out and entertained us with his stories, from where he sources his food and wine to how he cooked it. This is always a special treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and Service FOODIESJDEATSVIPDined on 9/25/2014This restaurant is not to be missed! We were blown away by the food and service. Armando and his wife Yudaris (spelling) treated us like family but further like honored guests. The experience of closeness, information, and recommendations is well balanced by there desire to give you a full dining experience that seems to have service appear exactly when needed. Listen to their recommendations, you won't be disappointed. Also it is worth noting that this restaurant is very much budget affordable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly unexpected!PamplemousseDined on 9/20/2014The other reviewers don't lie when they say to not be put off by the location. The food is truly outstanding and we didn't experience any untimely delays and we were there on a Saturday night. The chef regularly appears in the dining room and was concerned when my partner didn't finish the lasagna; it was just too much food! You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurantlovelyritaDined on 9/17/2014Love this restaurant! The food is amazing for the price. The staff & chef are just wonderful. Ft. Lauderdale has way too many ho hum, expensive restaurants. Candela is an absolute gem in the landscape.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- candela a real findOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/13/2014Highly recommended- best lasagne ever- chef is hands on- visits each table- 2nd visit- will be a regular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Owner YELLS, Poor food,poor serviceupnadamDined on 9/6/2014The wine is a a 3 ounce pour.The owner/chef coming to the table and yelling across the restaurant at his staff – more water, more bread etc. Throughout the meal we counted he came by our table (always holding his own glass of wine) 17 times. What a way to interrupt our dinner.I mean YELL. Initial bread sent back-very hard and cold –the second batch was just as bad – cold and very oily. Dinner was unremarkable – the 2 Moroccan Chicken dishes were spicy but were overcooked, tough and stringy. The snapper tasted frozen, lacked flavor, the edges looked freezer burnt and had a plastic taste; the grouper looked more like a soup than a fish dish with a sauce. If you like lack luster food with a side of YELLING -then this is your place.
- Definitely worth it....eh33301Dined on 9/5/2014Staff was extremely personable. The chef came out to make suggestions to our table. Food was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second Time HereEdwardVIPDined on 9/4/2014We came back here a second time and, as usual, were extremely pleased. The joy of coming here, is not only the food, but the discussions with the owner, about food, new things he's thinking of for the menu. Culinary education along with an amazing meal. For what more could you ask!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and service....Foodie2nightVIPDined on 8/30/2014Love this place! The menu changes often. Not to worry - always excellent choices. We had some fabulous tapas to start. Garlicky shrimp, jamon and cheese platter, croquettes, gorbonzo beans and chorizo - all excellent. We had paella, crispy macaroni in squid ink w/calamari and squid - don't miss this. We have been going to this restaurant for a year or so and it has been consistently good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Candela First VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014The tapas were unbelievably good. The main course dishes were fair. One person had to send theirs back as it was way over cooked. Still very pleased with overall experience. We will go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ludie13Love2EatGreatFoodDined on 8/23/2014The owner is amazingly friendly, food is out of this world! Service is impeccable and staff is knowledgeable and friendly. We will return many times!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum Yum YummyRomaVIPDined on 8/16/2014An eclectic combination of Mediterranian and Spanish. Haven't been disappointed yet.Special Features:
- Hidden JemdhochDined on 8/16/2014Hidden in a small shopping center far from the rest of the Wilton Manors scene is this gem. Chef Aramando does an original take on many dishes, all are done well. He hails from Cuba, and there is some Spanish influence,But some of his great dishes include Lasagna, eggplant parm,' squid. Paella and fish dishes are great. As you are eating he often makes the rounds of the tables, he will modify dishes if you want something changed with a dish on the menu Just a great placeSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014we went and had 5 tapas, all were great. met the owners and were wonderfulSpecial Features:
- Dining with a Dysfunctional FamilyTTLBLVIPDined on 8/2/2014Food was good , but listening to chef/owners reprimands of staff reminded us of a dysfunctional family. At first the Chef's presence in the dining room was charming , but as the restaurant became busier it was like listening to a controlling parent disciplining his children. We were embarrassed for the staff. In the restroom you could hear the chef yelling at the kitchen staff as well . Needless to say it was not relaxing and the atmosphere was so distracting that the dining experience was ruined.Special Features:
- The following 96 reviews are from the Candela reviews archive.
- Amazing SurprisebergmanteamVIPDined on 7/11/2014This is one of those restaurants that I can't wait to go back to. Small, intimate and the food was FANTASTIC. You can taste the love and passion of the chef-owner in every bit. Once you get past the drab look of the shopping center and store front and enter the restaurant you should prepare yourself for a gastronomic adventure. We had the Tabla de Charcuteria and a stuffed peppers with shrimp that was out of this world. Looking forward to me next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing find!foodiefavDined on 7/11/2014Don't let the strip mall location fool you. Although, in a spotty area Candela turned out to be a delicious find. The restaurant had charming Spanish interior decor that was quite inviting once inside. The food was mainly Spanish influenced with a tasty Cuban flare. All the tapas dishes were great especially, the Garbanzos con Chorizo and Croquetas de Bacalao. Our main dishes were all SOOOOO good. We highly recommend you try the Pollo Morroqui, Paella de Pescadores and the Churrasco a la Plancha!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was amazing location was iffyErynDined on 7/5/2014Food was seriously so good it was the location that was odd. Chef was there and offering suggestions which was amazing and of course everything vibes perfectly. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- good food unusual locationDaveDined on 7/2/2014The food here is very good. Loved that the chef stopped by the table and was very happy we enjoyed his creations. Location might not seem great but it's a great find.Special Features:
- BikeLadyVIPDined on 6/19/2014Very friendly. Interesting assortment of tapas and main dishes. Definitely worth a return visit.
- Interesting dish selectionsSFfoodiesDined on 6/12/2014Candela was recommended to my husband and me as a nice place for our anniversary celebration. And we were happy we took the recommendation. We found exceptional Spanish style food at reasonable prices with lovely ambience. Our selections were the recommended Carpaccio for a starter, then Zarzuela and Romance de Mero y Gambas. All dishes were well prepared and delicious. We found a nice selection of wine (mostly Spanish) by the glass and by the bottle at very reasonable prices. I had a glass of the Rose which was nice and dry and went well with the meal. We were visiting from the San Francisco Bay Area and will be back next time we are in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strip mall surpriseOpenTableReviewerFLLDined on 6/6/2014This restaurant is located in a nondescript strip mall, just off Oakland Park Boulevard. The draw is the passionate and colorful chef, who visits tables often, and loves to describe his food preparation techniques. The menu includes some delicious tapas, as well as entrees. Some of the dishes lean saltier or more vinegary than my taste, but most are delicious. The wines are good, too, though the list is not extensive.Special Features:
- Such great foodMediaMerDined on 6/6/2014Really amazing food. I've yet to try a bad dish (I take that back; you can skip the almond cake dessert). The location in a run down strip mall near Oakland park makes this an evening better surprise. Very attentive service, great wine list, and a wonderful variety of seafood and meats on both the small plates and entrees. We did have a funny experience on our last visit. In true embodiment of their title (Candela means fiery in Spanish) - the chef went on a very public, very loud tirade in he dining room. He shouted at the wait staff for forgetting bread on one diner's table. The scene lasted a good 10 minutes - but perhaps it added to the charm that is Candela even more. Would hesitate to recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unusual menuOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/31/2014Many special dishes with outstanding sauces and flavors. Staff is willing to please requests. Excellent place.Special Features:
- What a Delightful ExperienceEdwardVIPDined on 5/29/2014What a delightful experience! The food was great--presentation was excellent,from appetizers to entree. The delight of the evening was spending time chatting with the owner-chef for a good part of the evening. I think we closed the place. Highly recommend this spot,Special Features:
- Best dining while in Ft. LNCfanDined on 5/24/2014Everything we had to eat at Candela was excellent. The Paella, ropa vieja and a shrimp dish was out of this world. The waitress was attentive and the owner called a cab for us! I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemFalcoDined on 5/24/2014Every time we go to Candela we are never disappointed!! Chef Alex and his wife make you feel right at home. The wine list is excellent and the food is always fantastic. A++Special Features:
- DrLeeVIPDined on 5/24/2014When we're in south Florida, we go here for dinner, it's that essential. The menu is imaginative and so well carried out. Service is attentive and correct. The location, as everyone notes, is very briefly off-putting (a small old-ish strip mall) but the restaurant itself is terrific. Go. It's hard to find better anywhere.Special Features:
- Two very enthusiastic thumbs up!AwesomeDined on 5/17/2014This is truly a great find. The Chef called me back to confirm reservation. We arrived and as expected, it really didn't look like much. However, once we walked in the door, we were greeted by the Chef and the wait staff. We got an awesome table. The Chef came over and described the specials. We all ordered specials and were very impressed with our selections. We ordered a great bottle of wine for $27 and the dessert was amazing as well. All in all, the perfect experience. I've already recommended this restaurant to four friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.