1919 – 4th Street SW
Calgary, AB T2S1W4Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.candelalounge.com/
- Phone: (403) 719-0049
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2pm
Dinner: Every Night: 5pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Rogelio Herrera
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our Private Dining Room seats up to 14 guests. Please email info@candelalounge to reserve the private room.
- Private Party Contact: Uri Heilik 4037190049x
A word from Candela
The Owners of Alloy Restaurant bring you their new vision on 4th Street. World small plates/share plates served in a casual elegant environment. Please join us in our main dining room/lounge or book our Private Dining Room for your next event. Free parking in front and back.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Candela - Best Restaurants in Calgary ›
Candela reviews from OpenTable diners
126 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (88)good for groups (53)special occasion (43)neighborhood gem (41)romantic (34)notable wine list (30)hot spot (27)late-night find (15)great for lunch (13)vibrant bar scene (7)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Excellent Hidden GemMceliaDined on 11/17/2014Amazing cute restaurant, with a quirky style in decor. Very fancy feeling, amazing food that will melt in your mouth, as well a very fair price point considering all that your getting in the experience beyond the food. I highly recommend- me and my mom (who was just visiting) came here Saturday night, and we loved it so much we came back Monday again as she was flying out Tuesday morning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AveragetastyDined on 11/14/2014Good concept, average execution. The server was bit knowledgabke about the ingredients of the mussel dish, but did check with the kitchen. Wine list was good. Pork belly was good, but calamari lacked seasoning. Presentation of food was good, an interesting feature of watermelon and tuna was good but I wouldn't order again. The restaurant was highly recommended but I would hesitate to return. Nothing bad, but nothing exceptional.Special Features:
- NicoleVIPDined on 11/14/2014Still one of our favourite places, but the new menu is definitely not as good as its predecessors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodashwilDined on 11/14/2014I have now been here a number of times, The food is always good, and I would recommend the small plates. I find they are perfect for sharing,I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Food and ServiceNadineDined on 11/8/2014I wasn't sure what to expect from Candela but the whole experience was fantastic from our friendly server to the best, most interesting food I have enjoyed in a while. Will definitely go back and highly recommend!Special Features:
- Great serviceJaneDDined on 11/7/2014We liked the server a lot, and the food was good. Price point was decent as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KarinDined on 11/6/2014I found the carrot soup nice but not phenomenal. The darker carrots add a great colour but the soup could have been hotter and the layers of depth were not there. I had the short rib tacos - a bit salty for my taste and all the flavour was with the beef - not the herbs or vegetables I would have expected with the meat. And no one needs 2 tortillas with each one! My partner enjoyed his bison burger - but found the fries ok but not crispy.Special Features:
- Unexpected Pleasuregroupof4Dined on 11/2/2014It was our first time at Candela. We tired it because we like its sister restaurant Alloy. The food was terrific. Nice ambience and good service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014I have eaten at Candela several times and found it to be wonderful. This time the food was mediocre, service was good but I hate paying so much $$$ for a mediocre night out. $177Special Features:
- Couldn't have been better!!MceliaDined on 10/29/2014We were absolutely blown away by every dish brought out, and the service and atmosphere excellent as well. Not to mention great pricing. We already can't wait to go back and have talked about how delicious the food was everyday since we dined there!! The best meal we've eaten in our four years together!Special Features:
- Excellent FoodSME5461Dined on 10/24/2014We had a good dining experience with Candela. The food are excellent, the only thing we could say is the price is little bit pricey for Tapas.Special Features:
- Just okOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014I have been to Candela a few times and this time it wasn't the best experience. Host was a bit rude and the food seems like it has gone down a bit in quality. Didn't have the wine on the menu and tapas were mediocre. A bit disappointing.Special Features:
- Great restaurantRobbyADined on 10/16/2014Great overall restaurant, excellent calamari. Every dish we trier was superbSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Tapas plates yetHonestgalVIPDined on 10/16/2014loved the size and portion of the tapas plates offered. All were adeptly made such that the food's flavour and presentation was the best I have ever enjoyed.Special Features:
- Great Dining Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/12/2014We had such a great experience at Candela this past weekend. Our server was so pleasant and very knowledgable. She made several recommendations throughout the meal, all of which we loved! We love the idea of sharing several plates; it allowed us to try more than one or two dishes. Thank you so much, we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014We sat at the bar and the food was great. Our bartender was not very knowledgeable about the food or wine. She gave poor feedback on the chicken tacos, saying that we should go to another establishment for tacos. Also we ordered a bottle of rioja and she asked if that was was a white. Overall our server was very rough around the edges and unprofessional. I expect a higher level of professionalism at a nice establishment. The chef executed a great menu but I'm not sure if I will dine at candela againSpecial Features:
- Food was great, service was okLiketotrynewthingsVIPDined on 10/3/2014Our server was busy and took her awhile to take our order. Once the order was submitted, the food came out fairly quickly. Selection of wine wasn't extensive but the food was delicious (although over-priced for the portions provided). Their menu selection changes frequently too so don't expect to order the same dishes each time you visit!Special Features:
- Delicious tapa styleOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/2/2014Highly recommend the seared tuna and tuna tartare. Not cheap, but delicious food.Special Features:
- Amazing!SirSnoozeDined on 10/1/2014I went here for my birthday, very amazing atmosphere and delicious food! 11/10 times would visit again!Special Features:
- YYCTravellerDined on 9/30/2014The service was awful. Our server was not very welcoming and was rushing us out before we were finished our evening. The food was luke warm and under seasoned. I wont be back and would not recommend it to anyone.
- Consistently goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/28/2014We return for the calimari and it is a family favourite every time.Special Features:
- Terrific TapasKazadumDined on 9/27/2014A great selection of tasty tapas, beautifully presented in a great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/24/2014been meaning to try it, finally did. I'll be back to this spot. It was excellent.Special Features:
- SpankyDined on 9/21/2014We brought relatives from Ontario to Candela as it is one of our preferred dining spots for cool food, and great service. As always, they didn't disappoint on either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious noisejewelsDined on 9/20/2014Went to candela for date night. Lovely place, bit was instantly reminded of ladies night as there were a lot of ladies groups. Food was awesome and came out a bit at a time, not all at once.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre at bestfoodiegoodieVIPDined on 9/16/2014Was only 3 tables dining at the same time. Our server oversold the food "everything was amazing". We ordered several tapas and the portions were small for the price. The crispy pork belly was not crispy and it was cold. The gaucho beef skewer was tough and chewy. Butter chicken lacked any real taste. The server said that it was hot when it left the kitchen. We heard so many good things about the menu and was completely disappointed.
- wonderful eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Perfect to celebrate our anniversary, nice ambiance, food and service. Loved the salmon, beets and carrots and dessert was wonderful Seating is close and can feel intrusive, especially if few diners.When we arrived there were only two other couples and we were seated right next to one, when there were other options. Ask to move. Better once space filled. Would return to try out other items on menu as it provides the opportunity to eat a little or as much as you want. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular EveningShadowDined on 9/14/2014Our server and all of her recommendations were wonderful. We went because we were recipients of a gift card. We will unquestionably return. The cuisine is perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My eyes are up hereKevinDined on 9/12/2014I am a man with longer hair. Despite not having shaved for a while, the girl dropping off one of our dishes said, "Enjoy, ladies". If you do not even have the presence of mind to treat a customer with enough respect to glance up, you should find something else to do. The rest of the service was fine, albeit a little intrusive. Food was just ok, which was disappointing because the menu sounded lovely.
- DinningadventurerDined on 9/10/2014Candela never misses - have dined here several times now and always pleased with the attention to service and unique food offerings. This has become one of my all time favourite restaurants!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So SoAlexisDined on 9/5/2014I can't really say there was anything bad about the experience, but there wasn't anything remarkable either. And with the selections available for an amazing date night, I would bother with this again. The food wasn't bad (except the very pedestrian tuna 'tartar' - aka tuna spread). In fact some of it was tasty, however there was nothing tying one flavor to the next on this menu, it was all over the place. And I found the atmosphere lacking for a romantic dinner for 2, however it seemed to be comfortable for groups. All in all, there's just too many other exciting options out there to bother.Special Features:
- Wonderful Evening!GrasshopperDined on 8/28/2014Candela met all my expectations! The decor is funky and tasteful. Our server was extremely knowledgeable, welcoming and attentive. The tapas were timed perfectly and there wasn't a miss in the bunch - such variety in the menu. Everything put together amounted to a really wonderful evening for us and our guests!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food!BrutusDined on 8/26/2014The food was delicious. The woman who looked after our table was not very friendly or helpful; making the service less than inspiring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- early week diningtrendyfoodieDined on 8/25/2014this restaurant has amazing décor, very chic. Our food was also amazing...simple ingredients with tons of flavour. The service however was nothing special...very run of the mill- I felt our server lacked care, maybe because it was slower than usual? I asked for a flavor sparkling water ( I was thinking of the blood orange pallegrino) they didn't carry it, only there house brand...I asked for some sort of flavor and I was offered a lemon or lime. (I was hoping for a fresh juice puree maybe on the side?) we also made a special request for our celebration, and there was nothing noted about it. It would have been nice if the server would have mentioned it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best butter chicken ever!TravelJanetVIPDined on 8/24/2014That comment came from my husband which was seconded by my son. My short rib pad Thai was very tender but a bit bland. My daughter had the scallops and pronounced them 'excellent'. The tomato and avocado salad was very fresh and delicious. Try the '5 Alive' cocktail and 'The Maltese Falcon' - both extremely tasty!Special Features:
- Interesting menuOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/24/2014Some nice changes from the regular run-of-the-mill items, and well executed. Will be back.Special Features:
- It's not a restaurant, it's a bar.GastrobarVIPDined on 8/16/2014Decided to celebrate our anniversary at Alloy's sister restaurant, Candela. Big mistake. The restaurant is basically a concrete box, with some token decorations that looked a collection of sale items from Urban Barn. The hostess sat us at the nearest possible table to her station in a row tiny tables for two which are flanked by bistro tables along a wall and the bar. The immense bar is situated in the middle of the restaurant, and there's your first clue that this is a bar with food on the side, rather than a restaurant with a bar on the side. The result is tables of drunk women who deliver screeching laughter at a volume that will knock your fillings out, and the usual suspects of guys "dining" in baseball caps and jeans. Lovely.Special Features:
- A great experience!SandiDined on 8/15/2014Another excellent dining choice on 4th Street SW. Great decor and ambience - loved the Moroccan touches (floor tiles and lighting) Service was excellent - attentive but not overbearing. Food choices were great and quality was very good. Especially appreciated the on-site parking tooSpecial Features:
- Absolutely deliciousCarminaDined on 8/13/2014We went as a group of 7, and ordered almost all of the small plates, and almost all of the entrees to share. There was not a dish that we didn't like, or that we found mediocre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDatenightDined on 8/9/2014Candela was recommended by a foodie friend. My wife and I went with another couple to celebrate my birthday. We had an 8 pm reservation for a Saturday night and had to wait at the bar until 8:30 for our table to be ready. While at the bar, my wife ordered a $12 cocktail. While bringing the drink over the bartender spilled about 25% out then simply wiped the glass and passed it 3/4 full to my wife, with not even an apology! When seated we ordered calamari, which was over cooked and chewy. The pork belly tacos lacked flavour. The tuna was good, and the gnocchi tasted great. Our server was average, friendly but not overly interested in our table. Ambiance is below average for this price range in calgary.Special Features: