1919 – 4th Street SW
Calgary, AB T2S1W4Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.candelalounge.com/
- Phone: 4037190049x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2pm
Dinner: Every Night: 5pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Rogelio Herrera
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our Private Dining Room seats up to 14 guests. Please email info@candelalounge to reserve the private room.
- Private Party Contact: Uri Heilik 4037190049x
A word from Candela
The Owners of Alloy Restaurant bring you their new vision on 4th Street. World small plates/share plates served in a casual elegant environment. Please join us in our main dining room/lounge or book our Private Dining Room for your next event. Free parking in front and back.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Candela - Best Restaurants in Calgary ›
Candela reviews from OpenTable diners
127 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (80)good for groups (60)special occasion (49)neighborhood gem (40)romantic (39)notable wine list (30)hot spot (29)late-night find (14)vibrant bar scene (9)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Consistently goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/28/2014We return for the calimari and it is a family favourite every time.Special Features:
- SpankyDined on 9/21/2014We brought relatives from Ontario to Candela as it is one of our preferred dining spots for cool food, and great service. As always, they didn't disappoint on either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious noisejewelsDined on 9/20/2014Went to candela for date night. Lovely place, bit was instantly reminded of ladies night as there were a lot of ladies groups. Food was awesome and came out a bit at a time, not all at once.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre at bestfoodiegoodieVIPDined on 9/16/2014Was only 3 tables dining at the same time. Our server oversold the food "everything was amazing". We ordered several tapas and the portions were small for the price. The crispy pork belly was not crispy and it was cold. The gaucho beef skewer was tough and chewy. Butter chicken lacked any real taste. The server said that it was hot when it left the kitchen. We heard so many good things about the menu and was completely disappointed.
- wonderful eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Perfect to celebrate our anniversary, nice ambiance, food and service. Loved the salmon, beets and carrots and dessert was wonderful Seating is close and can feel intrusive, especially if few diners.When we arrived there were only two other couples and we were seated right next to one, when there were other options. Ask to move. Better once space filled. Would return to try out other items on menu as it provides the opportunity to eat a little or as much as you want. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular EveningShadowDined on 9/14/2014Our server and all of her recommendations were wonderful. We went because we were recipients of a gift card. We will unquestionably return. The cuisine is perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My eyes are up hereKevinDined on 9/12/2014I am a man with longer hair. Despite not having shaved for a while, the girl dropping off one of our dishes said, "Enjoy, ladies". If you do not even have the presence of mind to treat a customer with enough respect to glance up, you should find something else to do. The rest of the service was fine, albeit a little intrusive. Food was just ok, which was disappointing because the menu sounded lovely.
- DinningadventurerDined on 9/10/2014Candela never misses - have dined here several times now and always pleased with the attention to service and unique food offerings. This has become one of my all time favourite restaurants!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So SoAlexisDined on 9/5/2014I can't really say there was anything bad about the experience, but there wasn't anything remarkable either. And with the selections available for an amazing date night, I would bother with this again. The food wasn't bad (except the very pedestrian tuna 'tartar' - aka tuna spread). In fact some of it was tasty, however there was nothing tying one flavor to the next on this menu, it was all over the place. And I found the atmosphere lacking for a romantic dinner for 2, however it seemed to be comfortable for groups. All in all, there's just too many other exciting options out there to bother.Special Features:
- Wonderful Evening!GrasshopperDined on 8/28/2014Candela met all my expectations! The decor is funky and tasteful. Our server was extremely knowledgeable, welcoming and attentive. The tapas were timed perfectly and there wasn't a miss in the bunch - such variety in the menu. Everything put together amounted to a really wonderful evening for us and our guests!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food!BrutusDined on 8/26/2014The food was delicious. The woman who looked after our table was not very friendly or helpful; making the service less than inspiring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- early week diningtrendyfoodieDined on 8/25/2014this restaurant has amazing décor, very chic. Our food was also amazing...simple ingredients with tons of flavour. The service however was nothing special...very run of the mill- I felt our server lacked care, maybe because it was slower than usual? I asked for a flavor sparkling water ( I was thinking of the blood orange pallegrino) they didn't carry it, only there house brand...I asked for some sort of flavor and I was offered a lemon or lime. (I was hoping for a fresh juice puree maybe on the side?) we also made a special request for our celebration, and there was nothing noted about it. It would have been nice if the server would have mentioned it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best butter chicken ever!TravelJanetVIPDined on 8/24/2014That comment came from my husband which was seconded by my son. My short rib pad Thai was very tender but a bit bland. My daughter had the scallops and pronounced them 'excellent'. The tomato and avocado salad was very fresh and delicious. Try the '5 Alive' cocktail and 'The Maltese Falcon' - both extremely tasty!Special Features:
- Interesting menuOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/24/2014Some nice changes from the regular run-of-the-mill items, and well executed. Will be back.Special Features:
- It's not a restaurant, it's a bar.GastrobarVIPDined on 8/16/2014Decided to celebrate our anniversary at Alloy's sister restaurant, Candela. Big mistake. The restaurant is basically a concrete box, with some token decorations that looked a collection of sale items from Urban Barn. The hostess sat us at the nearest possible table to her station in a row tiny tables for two which are flanked by bistro tables along a wall and the bar. The immense bar is situated in the middle of the restaurant, and there's your first clue that this is a bar with food on the side, rather than a restaurant with a bar on the side. The result is tables of drunk women who deliver screeching laughter at a volume that will knock your fillings out, and the usual suspects of guys "dining" in baseball caps and jeans. Lovely.Special Features:
- A great experience!SandiDined on 8/15/2014Another excellent dining choice on 4th Street SW. Great decor and ambience - loved the Moroccan touches (floor tiles and lighting) Service was excellent - attentive but not overbearing. Food choices were great and quality was very good. Especially appreciated the on-site parking tooSpecial Features:
- Absolutely deliciousCarminaDined on 8/13/2014We went as a group of 7, and ordered almost all of the small plates, and almost all of the entrees to share. There was not a dish that we didn't like, or that we found mediocre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDatenightDined on 8/9/2014Candela was recommended by a foodie friend. My wife and I went with another couple to celebrate my birthday. We had an 8 pm reservation for a Saturday night and had to wait at the bar until 8:30 for our table to be ready. While at the bar, my wife ordered a $12 cocktail. While bringing the drink over the bartender spilled about 25% out then simply wiped the glass and passed it 3/4 full to my wife, with not even an apology! When seated we ordered calamari, which was over cooked and chewy. The pork belly tacos lacked flavour. The tuna was good, and the gnocchi tasted great. Our server was average, friendly but not overly interested in our table. Ambiance is below average for this price range in calgary.Special Features:
- ExcellentTravellingFoodieVIPDined on 8/4/2014The food was great, the service was pleasant, the atmosphere was relaxed, but elegant. One caveat for those who want something plain....it was hard to find a dish that wasn't spicy and even those that didn't indicate a spiciness on the menu had some heat.Special Features:
- Yum!BGHSCHEFDined on 8/2/2014Great food, great service, an awesome night out. My sister in law from London , England was visiting and she loved it!Special Features:
- Stick to the small, share platesOldiesInYYCDined on 8/2/2014Candela has such a great reputation, built on its excellent array of tapas style share plates, and a comprehensive wine list, so it was doubly disappointing when we decided to try a main dish. Our starters were amazing, as were the desserts, but our mains were overdone. Don't get me wrong; the presentation, tastes and portion size were all good. They were just slightly overdone. Next visit we'll stick to the tapas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent all the way around!LunchReviewerVIPDined on 7/31/2014This was our first trip to Candela and we were thrilled with everything. The service was EXCELLENT. The servers were very attentive, but gave us privacy to talk - we didn't feel rushed, but if we looked up for something, they were there. They were great to recommend options that we would enjoy and offered great suggestions for our table. The wine list was very good, and their specialty cocktails excellent! We will be back there very soon! Oh, and loved the chic atmosphere, and interesting art work that showed off a fun and playful side.Special Features:
- Great experience at Candela!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014Dined with some friends and had a fantastic evening. Staff that greeted us were friendly and seated us promptly. Our waitress was really friendly and chatty which I really appreciated! The food was exceptional. An overall great experience. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing everytime!NJwoohooDined on 7/21/2014The meal was spectacular, the servers were great. We especially loved the skewers, the calamari, the beef tenderloin, and the dessert balls!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time treatFantasticoDined on 7/21/2014My husband and I treated ourselves to a Monday dinner at Candela. We ordered the olives and hummus, tempura broccolini, seared tuna, bison sausage, beef tenderloin with jalepeno mac and cheese and bunuelos for dessert. Amazing! You must have the dessert, trust me, you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- ShockedrammerVIPDined on 7/7/2014Place was all but empty at 9 - hoping this is not the sign of impending failure. Has been one of my favourites for tapas. Food and service still very good'
- CandelaLuv2dineDined on 7/4/2014Great food and great service :). Our waitress was fantastic. One of the best I've ever seen. The wine we had was delicious and reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy SpotMarcwithacDined on 6/28/2014Awesome appetizers and entrées. Staff is knowledgable on wines and always on top of their job. I can recommend Candela and will come back. The interior is modern yet comfortable. The bar as the centre piece of the restaurant is working well.Special Features:
- Nice placeevergreenDined on 6/27/2014Good food, pricey because of small servings. Very quick, good service. thanks.I would recommend this to a friend.
- KabSPDined on 6/24/2014Outstanding food, superb service. The restaurant decor is beautiful and the ambience in romantic. We did our date night there and was not disappointed. The wine selection is also excellent and the cocktail list is interesting and unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kaitlin05Dined on 6/20/2014Great food! Love the small plates especially the calamari!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2dineDined on 6/20/2014Candela used to be wonderful when they focussed on Mexican fusion cuisine and small plates. Their small plates are still good. However their entrees were extremely disappointing. Lacked flavour and finesse. I hope they go back to the small plate/ tapas format.
- Excellent food, service adequateHappygoodinerDined on 6/19/2014The food at Candela is excellent however the service didn't equal the food. We ordered everything from the "sides" menu, as we had a non-carnivore with us. It was all delicious, even a simple dish of naan, hummus and olives was extraordinary. We were seated next to the private room and I think our server may have been responsible for the large party in the private room. Several times we had to flag down our server to get service, once was to get fork to eat with. Also, we experienced some negative attitude from our sever when we request a dairy component of a dish to be put on the side. However, the food was so good that I would probably go back again but ask for a different table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/14/2014Food was average, at best, and very over priced Noise level was unacceptable. A conversation with the four people at our table was practically impossible
- Let downTinaDined on 6/14/2014I have been to candela before which is why I rushed back. Sad to say all my first time favourites were all gone. Waitress told me they change their menu ever 3-4 months. Seems quite a lot to me. They got rid of alot of really great dishes but didn't seem to replace them with other great dishes. Won't be going back anytime soon as it just didn't stand out to me this time vs how expensive it is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great time!NiccoDined on 6/13/2014Great drinks, food and decor. Good energy in this restaurant but not so loud that you can't have a conversation. Unique drink and food menu. Would definitely recommend for a date or dinner with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good stuff!HtownfoodieDined on 6/12/2014Nice atmosphere and great food! Retro combined with modern look - very nice. Server was very gracious and concerned when one of us mentioned having a food allergy, and took extra care to point out certain things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls' DinnerCalgMunDined on 6/12/2014Great place for a group of girls to grab a fun dinner. Recommended 2-3 tapas (small plates) per person and it is just enough. Highly recommend the hummus/olive plate and the calamari! Cocktails are fun too. Dishes come out at random so if you like a predictable meal probably not the best choice but a great place to gather for a leisurely girls' night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Butter chicken too saltySusie35Dined on 6/12/2014Butter chicken way too salty. The quality of the chicken itself is good, but maybe marinated with too much salt? I only ate half and discarded the rest. Sauce too little, not creamy. Service a bit slow. Dessert wasn't great either, no surprise. Disappointed. Won't return.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/7/2014Candela was great! The food was delicious and the service was great. We couldn't decide what to order....everything was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.