1001 N. Fourth St.
Wilmington, NC 28401Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.canaperestaurant.com/
- Phone: (910) 769-3713
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:00am
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Canape
Canapé is Wilmington's first pop-up restaurant, which made its debut to a sold-out crowd in August 2011 at downtown's fine-dining hotspot Manna. Headed by Chef Matthew Gould, who creates stunning menus across a plethora of flavors, Canapé opened at San Juan Café, 3314 Wrightsville Avenue, on Sundays only through 2012. Starting in the fall of 2013, thanks to Colonel Surgeon Ron Rene, Canapé will have a permanent home in the Brooklyn Arts District of Wilmington at 1001 N. Fourth Street. Featuring new flavors, contemporary and traditional, all with a modern approach, Canapé will be open for lunch, dinner and late-night.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Canape reviews from OpenTable diners
13 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (9)neighborhood gem (8)special occasion (7)great for lunch (4)good for groups (4)romantic (3)notable wine list (2)hot spot (2)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Not to be missedlizfrieVIPDined on 10/30/2014Matthew Gould has quickly become our favorite chef. He can cook creatively in any style - Italian, southwestern, asian, southern - and everything he makes is always well-seasoned and delicious. His menus change frequently, depending on what is fresh and available. We can honestly say we don't have a favorite dish - they're all wonderful! The desserts created by his pastry chef are outstanding and a perfect ending to the meal. Add to that pleasant and attentive staff - you can't ask for anything better. They deserve to be wildly successful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MagnificentLoveToEatDined on 10/10/2014Nice bar. Signature cocktails. Excellent food with something for everyone from earth, air, land, and sea. The dessert was modern cuisine meets good ole southern pecan pie and just perfect. This may be my new fave!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful foodfllguyDined on 9/13/2014This is a different establishment. The menu is something you will not see at most other retaurants. Everything was delishious and well presented. I do not drink anything other than wine, but the cocktail list was very different. I recomend trying Canape's, I think if you live in ther area you will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing Dinnerlocal4usVIPDined on 8/9/2014Party of 6, all underwhelmed by the mediocrity of the food particularly as compared to reviews from multiple sources. Shrimp bisque was practically inedible, too 'shrimpy' and 'salty', in retrospect should have sent back to kitchen. Brioche was best of the assortment of appetizers but still not memorable. Portion sizes were quite variable. Grouper was very good but a 'starter' size serving instead of entree. Shrimp entree was 'small plate' size and unremarkable. Scallops were nicely prepared. Pork loin, recommended by server, was delicious and large enough to share. Desserts were unsuccessful with oddly deconstructed combinations of flavors. Nice bar menu with interesting cocktails. Better options in Wilmington.
- Creative food and cocktails!LifeFoodieDined on 8/8/2014Great meal! Red chile shrimp bisque perfectly balanced the sweet shellfish and earthy chile flavors. The scamp grouper contained a richness only tasted when fresh from the boat. Also fancied the pork loin, stuffed with chorizo and cheese, both made in house. Their avocado-lime ice cream, with toasted coconut and a flourless coconut cake, was fantastic; the creaminess of the avocado really elevated the texture of ice cream. We also enjoyed the craft cocktails, Life Sentence and Elderberry Flipp–flavors I haven't tasted elsewhere in town. They had quite a few groups of parties there, too, who all were raving about the chef's tasting menu, which I plan to do upon my return. Eclectic atmosphere with great art. Overall a fun experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014Great food, well thought out portion sizes for lunch. The decor is fun and certainly a conversation starter...as was the 80s Pandora station that was playing while we were there! Service can be slow though - not a spot to go to if you are time constrained.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 11 reviews are from the Canape reviews archive.
- Needs improvement.LizbethDined on 7/30/2014Wait staff friendly but not familiar with menu items. Appetizers were mostly good but sent one back. Tamale was dry and not much chicken. Disappointed with entrees. Beans seemed out of a can. Not sure scallops were really scallops. Ordered dessert on menu and was told not what they were serving. Then later showed up with menu dessert! French press coffee very good. Bar menu offered unusual cocktails and ones ordered were good. Extremely noisy. Could not converse. Will probably not go back.
- Fresh and tastychitchatcattVIPDined on 7/6/2014We went for Sunday brunch and were quite pleased. Arriving at 12:45pm,we were the only ones there. However, they gained quite a crowd; everyone seemed to arrive for a later brunch. I ordered Eggs Benedict. The eggs were fresh farm eggs and the Hollandaise sauce was perfect; not too rich. The portion was generous,with both sides of the English muffin stacked with Canadian bacon,fresh egg,and Hollandaise; paired with an accompanying side of hash browned,diced potatoes. I'd suggest skipping the Portuguese Mimosa and asking for a traditional mimosa. The Portuguese mimosa is made with an effervescent Portuguese wine which makes for a very flat tasting mimosa. Service was very good. We plan on going back for lunch or dinner and the tasting menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sorry, we were dissapointed!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/1/2014The curry dish was way too spicy. All you could taste was the spice. The Ramen noodles were bland with watery dishwater taste for the broth, little if no veggies in the veggie noodle bowl, mostly onions and shallots and teeny bit of yellow squash. No taste. Wanted so much to like the food, had invited friends from out of state, all disappointed. Presentation of food boring, the little soup bowls made it look like a joke for a meal.
- Best Experience YettnwarnellDined on 6/21/2014This was my third time dining at Canape. My first visit was delicious, definitely a memorable experience, but portion sizes were just a bit smaller than I would have liked. My second visit, we really just had cocktails, which the cocktails are AMAZING. Amazing, really doesn't express how innovative these cocktails are. But this time, everything was perfect. Food was incredible, drinks were just fabulous, and we always enjoy chatting with the owner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food.......TuscanDinerDined on 6/20/2014Wonderful food with excellent flavors and well-presented yet not overly expensive. Wine list is reasonable. Service was at best mediocre and there seemed to be some disorganization but this could be due to the newness of the restaurant. Once they get the service improved, Canape will be an excellent dining experience.Special Features:
- Very impressedRodbfDined on 6/17/2014Overall I was very impressed with Canape. We had the chef's tasting menu and shared items between us. Some courses were the same but mostly we all received different items. Everything was very fresh and was a nice twist on what you typically find in Wilmington. Apparently the menu changes daily and is sourced from local farms. Nearly everything is made in-house including the pastas. I was extremely impressed with all of the main entree items. Each meat was perfectly cooked and sides matched exquisitely. Desserts were also outstanding and provided just the right amount of sweet to end the meal. Location isn't great but its well worth seeking out when you are downtown. Do add Canape to your must try list!Special Features:
- WineanddinerVIPDined on 6/9/2014the restaurant was closed on the day we booked. This is the second time this has happened.
- Wonderful Experience!JohnVIPDined on 5/17/2014The food is excellent. The chef prepared delicious dishes with sometimes unexpected but always wonderful flavors and beautiful presentations. We tried a tasting menu and had a hard time choosing our favorites. The sommelier paired our dishes with perfect wines. Dining at curate is a complete sensory experience of food, wine, art, and atmosphere. I highly recommend to check it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- leeleeVIPDined on 4/18/2014Unique, very fresh ingredients and great flavor! We had the tasting menu which included all choices on the menu and throughly loved it. Only negative was no bread. Service was fantastic.Special Features:
- DelicioustnwarnellDined on 4/5/2014Everything we experienced at Canapé was wonderful. Flavor was on point and cocktails were outstanding! The only disappointment was the portion size. I understand it's a "small plate" restaurant, but everything was so delicious, I wanted more. I'd rather have a size able entreé than two or three small plates. Needed more veggies with the proteins. But overall it was awesome. Definitely will be returning soon, probably for some more of their incredible cocktails!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were visiting from outOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/3/2014We were visiting from out of town and looking for a good restaurant to take our friends. Canape was the perfect place. Delicious creative food paired with a terrific wine. The food was innovative, made of fresh ingredients, and beautifully served. The staff were most helpful. Our evening at Canape was thoroughly enjoyed by all. All of us would readily return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.