2025 Pacific Avenue
Venice, CA 90291Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.canalclubvenice.com/
- Phone: 3108233878x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5 p.m. - 10:30 p.m.
Friday - Saturday: 5 p.m. - 11:30 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Latin American, Asian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Palapa room can occupy a party of 20 for dinner and the Cabana room can occupy a party of 50.
- Private Party Contact: Quiller McCurry 3108235396x
- Entertainment: Friday and Saturday: Canal Club Lounge with rotating DJs from 9pm-1:30am (No Cover Charge).
A word from Canal Club
Canal Club is SoHo by the beach in Venice! Artists, locals and filmmakers meet nightly to chow down great steaks, seafood, and more...Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Canal Club reviews from OpenTable diners
2 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (1)good for groups (1)romantic (1)special occasion (1)late-night find (1)neighborhood gem (1)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- The sushi was awfulriznoDined on 7/9/2014I had high hopes but realistic expectations. The sushi was awful. Some seemed pre made and the fish was try. I had toro sashimi for a high price as a daily special and it wasn't toro at all... Any hole in the wall sushi place in LA has better sushi. If you're just coming for other food or just drinks during happy hour it could be a great hangout. I took a date for sushi and it was a complete bust.
- The following 74 reviews are from the Canal Club reviews archive.
- Loved this place!AquilleyVIPDined on 4/23/2014My boyfriend and I went out for a late dinner one night to Canal Club. Food was amazing and the drinks were spectacular. Could not have been happier withSpecial Features:
- UghDilloDined on 2/14/2014Went on Valentines day.. Service was horrible. Took 15 min just to get a member if staff to Get us a menu. Ordered our drinks I got An iced tea and asked for sugar which never came and when the waiter realized he forgot brought me another iced tea cuz it was warm. And that's just how It Began.. Was looking forward to an amazing night and I was just completely disappointed..Special Features:
- Poor Service/No MusicFirstTimerDined on 1/24/2014First time here, awful service. When asking out waiter about the menu, he quickly seemed annoyed and told us that he and other stuff to do and he would come back. We felt rushed to order so we didn't really get to explore the menu. My date ordered the burger med-well, it came out almost moo-ing (rare-med). The music had been shut down for the dj, but it took the dj nearly 30min to set up, I had to get up to ask one of the servers if some music could be turned on since the ambiance was that of forks hitting plates and kitchen pans being tossed - awful that there was no vibe, radio silence for a restaurant in venice. The sashimi pizza was the only good thing i could enjoy. Not a pleasant first experience.
- not too goodfoodieDined on 12/20/2013Went Fri nite. Restaurent pretty empty. Menu items not that appetitizing. Thank goodness they are associated with James beach restaurent across the street. They brought us food from their kitchen. Don't have a lot of hope for this place.
- Good bar scene but low quality foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/18/2013The decore is interesting and unique while I was ok with it, my wife hated it. The food was a real letdown. We know our sushi and this is not up to par with the LA sushi restaurants. Service was tolerable but it seemed to get slower as the evening progressed, we had to call several times to ask for the check.Special Features:
- Great time.....Solomon wasOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2013Great time.....Solomon was funny and recommended several dishes as it was our first time. I truly enjoyed the Volcano cocktail (drink serves 2-4) with a flame in center .....they must start selling the glass it's served in.. Super cool and unique.Special Features:
- This place is a Venice staple.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/20/2013This place is a Venice staple. Great happy hour. Good food. Relaxing Venice Beach atmosphere. Not pretentious. No complaints. It's a solid place.Special Features:
- Good Food, Drink & Service - NOTOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/16/2013The service was absolutely horrible & the food just as bad. We ordered only sushi & we weren't sharing it with the 3 of us. Yet what came out was everything for one person, then the next & then finally the last person. So we didn't even get to eat together. It took over an hour to get food to start coming & when the last person's food arrived, it was wrong. Can honestly say I will NEVER go to this place again. When we tried to get our waiter's attention, he would come over & we would ask him what was going on & then he would disappear. He wouldn't return to give us an update. The wine was awful, the mixed drinks even more awful - never a good sign when you keep adding water to your cocktail not because it is strong but instead gross.
- Always love Canal Club. GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/14/2013Always love Canal Club. Great food and very good service. Loved that they served their regular menu and happy hour on Valentines Day, as opposed to a handful of restaurants sticking you with a "special" menu for the night. Thanks for a really nice evening.Special Features:
- I love the Canal Club. GreatLaugustineDined on 2/8/2013I love the Canal Club. Great mojitos, great sushi, great atmosphere. My boyfriend and I love coming here for a special night out.Special Features:
- the food was certainly good..butfmsmcclkDined on 10/26/2012the food was certainly good..but not great..it was fresh..hot and smelled good..but flavors were nothing special,,,Special Features:
- Best Sushi in L.A.!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/8/2012By far the best sushi I have ever had in Los Angeles! I highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- Amazing (again)!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/14/2012Best sushi I have had in a long time, fabulous server and host! Always a pleasure!Special Features:
- could be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/22/2012Service to the table for sushi was slow wven though they appeared well staffed and the crowd was not overwhelmingSpecial Features:
- Lived in the neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/19/2012Lived in the neighborhood for years & just went in to meet some friends there. the food was great-got some sushi rolls which are big & they are on the happy hour! The vibe of this place is fun & a great place to dine.Special Features:
- You can get a rack of ribsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/17/2012You can get a rack of ribs and brown rice sushi at the same time...what's not to love! Service better during the week. Great Venice atmosphere!Special Features:
- Second time dining there.RoadWarriorVIPDined on 4/19/2012Second time dining there. This time the food and service was just average. We sat in the bar area becuase it seemed more lively. But our waiter seemed to forget about us there. We were there for my husban's birthday and they gladly surprised him with a dessert -- with candle and all. But they also charged us for it. I was kinda surprised, since it seems most places will do that gratis for someone's birthday. The key lime pie was outstanding however, so I had no reaso to complain.Special Features:
- No toro, though it was onProfKen101VIPDined on 4/3/2012No toro, though it was on the menu. Spider roll (tempura-fried soft shell crab) was the skinniest I've ever had--and not particularly tasty. Uni sushi so-so. Great mojitos, though. Would only go back if my girlfriend insists on it.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere and the staffOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2012Great atmosphere and the staff was very friendly. Nice diversity on the menu, tried the sushi and grilled carne asada; both were exceptionally good. Good destination for special occasions.Special Features:
- Wanted a place with a vibeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/7/2012Wanted a place with a vibe and not to noisy to talk... This was perfect, the lively bar area is separated by the sushi bar, good layout!Special Features:
- Perfect Place to Take a DateOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/25/2012Great place to take a date. I came here with my boyfriend and we had an amazing experience. The service was top-notch and the food was delicious. I would definitely recommend Canal Club to others.Special Features:
- My boyfriend and I had anOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/11/2012My boyfriend and I had an over all lovely experience at the Canal Club Wood Grill and Sushi Bar. The food was excellent and was ready in no time. The drinks were eclectic and tasty. Unfortunately, our waiter seemed uninterested in us and proceeded to dote over the other couples surrounding us and pretty much ignoring us. He failed to clear our appetizer dishes till we were almost finished with our entrees and never asked us if we would like another round of drinks. Since the food and beverages were so good, along with the company, our waiters absence turned into a minor irritation that we joked about.Special Features:
- We stumbled into Canal ClubOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 12/30/2011We stumbled into Canal Club Wood Grill and Sushi Bar and had the BEST meal. I am a bit of a sushi freak, and the Rainbow Roll was one of the best I've ever had. My husband thought his tempura tasted like donuts -- never a bad thing! We'll be back.Special Features:
- This is a wonderful restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/14/2011This is a wonderful restaurant with a variety on the menu, vegetarian friendly, and the service was great. I would definitely recommend this place.Special Features:
- Local Favorite In VeniceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/13/2011This place is a local Venice hangout, quirky ambiance and a great staff. The food isn't up to five star standards, but we thought everything was very tasty and well presented. I'd never been there before, but I plan to go back. Low key and fun.Special Features:
- Our server, Solomon, was great.WeLove2EatDined on 9/24/2011Our server, Solomon, was great. He took good care of us on this our first visit, but it won't be our last.Special Features:
- A must visit restaurantyummyVIPDined on 8/23/2011Try it if you have not had it yet. Amazing happy hour and the service is great!Special Features:
- Always wonderful! I go hereyummyVIPDined on 8/5/2011Always wonderful! I go here two to three times a week.Special Features:
- Good food but waited 20 minutesElliottVIPDined on 7/8/2011Good food but waited 20 minutes for a drink order which is typically four tomes longer than any place I've been too. Our apps came out with our dinner so that also was a little annoying.Special Features:
- A venice must!yummyVIPDined on 6/27/2011I love this place! I go here several times a week and love it always! This goes for the other two restaurants that Danny and James own (Danny's & James Beach) both in Venice and delicious! Keep up the good work guys! Great happy hour too! -Jon GSpecial Features:
- Fun Place but Skip the SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/16/2011Even though "sushi bar" is in the title, I wouldn't eat here for the fish. It's convenience-store quality at best. But the bar scene seems pretty lively and the service was very good.Special Features:
- Fantastic sushi - and whojoenetDined on 5/11/2011Fantastic sushi - and who doesn't love a place where you can get fries and a burger with tuna sashimi!Special Features:
- Give your review a title (optional)OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/7/2011It took over 45 minutes for a waiter to come to my table - and I was sitting with a regular customer / patron. (We sat in the lounge). Not going back there in a hurry. Drinks were good though.
- Great place to eat. GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2011Great place to eat. Great set up inside. Great service. Made my valentines day memorable.Special Features:
- We had a blast. Our serverOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/12/2010We had a blast. Our server was awesome... had tons of great ideas about sushi rolls we should order! Num!Special Features:
- This restaurant was terrific!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/21/2010This restaurant was terrific! The waitress was wonderful and helpful and the food great. We went on the third Thursday so were able to see a display of some local artists' work.Special Features:
- From the website, this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/6/2010From the website, this place seems like a posh, sleek, and intimate fusion restaurant, but upon arriving at the restaurant I was surprised to find half the restaurant is a very lively, rowdy sports bar with a sushi bar in the middle, and a more upscale booth-centered seating area on the other side. Unfortunately the sushi bar in the middle does little to dampen the noise emanating out of the bar section, so the ambiance is unfortunately not so great. The food was good and inventive, and an interesting mix of different cuisines, though not necessarily fusion as much as a mixture of items from different cuisines on the same menu (sushi, chinese food, mexican food, burgers). Very expansive wine list, and all in all we still had a great eveningSpecial Features:
- A very fun dinner. ExcellentCateDined on 7/3/2010A very fun dinner. Excellent service, good sushi and enough other choices for those who don't like sushi. Some innovation in sushi as well as general high quality.Special Features:
- There were 4 of us. They neverMolliemomVIPDined on 4/18/2010There were 4 of us. They never brought my husband's main course. Of course they didn't charge it, but it was upsetting. By the time the manager came around after we'd asked to see him, the rest of us were finished with our dinner. We won't go back.