530 Lake Park Ave
Oakland, CA 94610Neighborhood:
CubanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.canaoakland.com/
- Phone: 5108321515
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: M-F 8:00am-11:00am
Breakfast: Sa-Su 8:00am-10:30am
Lunch: M-F 11:00am-5:00pm
Lunch: Sa-Su 3:00pm-5:00pm
Dinner: T-Sa 5:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner: Su 5:00pm-8:00pm
Brunch: Sa-Su 10:30am-3:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Cuban
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Like us to cater an event? Call us in advance and we will set up the perfect Cuban menu for you and your guests. We are equipped for delivery and provide all your catering needs.
- Entertainment: We offer a wide variety of Live music. Club/Live-Music/DJ components available. Saturday and Sunday we offer live music during Brunch. Music starts at 12:00pm
A word from Cana Oakland
Caña Cuban Parlor and Cafe is a high-casual, Cuban neighborhood and destination restaurant with Club, Live-Music, DJ components, supper club options. Our concept is to serve well articulated Cuban classics with an eye for locally grown and sourced products. Our overall concept involves the use of real “Caña,” that is crushing our own sugar cane to produce syrups, glazes and tinctures with a special emphasis on creating a novel cocktailing environment in the great Cuban tradition of rum-based bar-tending. Our concept involves a cultural component that integrates Cuban food, art, dance, music and ethnographic appeal that allows for penetration into Afro-centric, Latin and “Cubaphiles” who consume and/or have interest in anything Cuban… ”Cuban Chic” or “La Furandula”…refers to the place to be.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Cana Oakland - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
Cana Oakland reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (23)great for brunch (19)neighborhood gem (19)hot spot (19)great for outdoor dining (14)vibrant bar scene (14)romantic (11)great for lunch (10)good for groups (8)special occasion (6)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- yummyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014The drinks and service were great.... Everyone was kind... Kept checking on us...let us know about the music and entertainment for next time because we were unable to attend. I will be backSpecial Features:
- Great palace for Salsa and BrunchIamKingTutDined on 8/31/2014Visited Caña over the weekend and it was a great experience. The food was great, I ordered the Cuban Fried Chicken. It was a huge plate and the chicken was nicely fried. I also ordered a side of Platanos Maduros (sweet plantain) to top it off. Will go again. On weekends they have a live band and a great crowd of Salsa dancers. It's a partay !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going down HillRegularDinerDined on 8/30/2014I have been to Cana several times over the last couple years. Early on, this place was well managed, vibrant and the food and atmosphere exciting. Food is consistently good but the last few times, including the latest, the service has been terrible. I visited with a friend over the Labor Day weekend and you would think they would have planned wait and bar staff accordingly. We ordered a couple mojitos with our food order. It took too long for the food to come out. And our drinks came after our food. We also came, and timed our reservation accordingly, because their website advertised that they had live music between 2-4 on Saturday. We were advised that they stopped their Sat. live music but had not updated their website.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cana OaklandFoodieDined on 8/20/2014Meet colleagues for happy hour Great drinks Great appetizers I will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had higher expectationsSommDined on 8/17/2014I had the chicken and waffles, I thought it was ok, kind of dry.......Drinks were okay, because it's so trendy now and such a scene I felt a bit rushed. If the food was great, I may go back but I thought it was just mediocre......Special Features:
- Best Brunch I have had.MrsCsechDined on 8/17/2014My sister invited me to have brunch at Cana with her. I am so glad she did. I am a foodie to the max. Everything we ordered was so good. The food was super fresh and bursting with flavor. The bottomless Mamosas were yummy too. The service was perfect. We will definitely go back and I will take more friends to experience Cana.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could use some noise dampeningJennDined on 8/16/2014Went here on a Saturday night. The place seemed to be more 'owner and friends' hangout than restaurant. Music was WAY too loud for a 'restaurant'. The food was actually quite good, but i am not sure i would be back on a 'bar night'.Special Features:
- Great food & drinks, big portionsRockridgeFoodieDined on 8/8/2014First time at Cana - a friend and I split the Crab Fritters, Beet Salad, and Paella. The food was terrific and the portions were generous -- the fritters were five egg roll-sized fritters on a bed of baby greens that could have been a (moderate sized) meal in itself, and we had leftovers of paella to take home. They serve a variety of mojitos. I had the basic one, which was well balanced and large. The inside restaurant is very noisy -- it was better for conversation to be in the small outdoor dining area along the sidewalk, where we were. The noise is the only downside. I look forward to trying other items on the menu and would definitely go back!Special Features:
- Great experienceFoodieDined on 8/2/2014Great service, mojito's, appetizers and main entrees!! Will go back and recommend to friends and family!! They seated us 1 hour early and accomadated out request!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love Canafoodie4meDined on 7/27/2014It has a fun, vibrant and colorful atmosphere. If you love salsa music and delicious latin/caribbean food then Caña is the place for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FUN!LucyDined on 7/25/2014We loved Happy Hour drinks and food! The noise level was super intense but energetic... some people were dancing. The outdoor seating is PERFECT when it's 80F in the evening! We didn't hear the band for too long as we were going to the movies... but LOVED the music!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not have a great experienceLovesfoodDined on 7/19/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday dinner and was very disappointed. The service was horrible, we had to get up or wave down the manager (he may have been the host but he was nice). After being seated about 10 minutes, our server comes up and ask if we are ready to order! She didn't even tell us what the specials were, but she did tell the tables around us. Server only checked on us twice The food was not great. My boyfriend had the beef filet and had to send it back to the kitchen because it was undercooked than was he asked for. It was also WAY too spicy, couldn't even taste the meat. I had the vegetable dish which was way too sweet. Took 15 minutes to get our drinks (wasn't busy night). Another 10 just for water. Dissappointing
- Cuban MixDomoDined on 7/19/2014We combined a visit to your restaurant with viewing the movie "The Chef" at the Grand. It was like a quick trip to Cuba just minutes from home. Both of our dishes were excellent and the service was friendly and professional. There was a lively event going on across the street that made it kind of exciting and the day was a little hot, all of which made it feel like being in the islands.Special Features:
- Great potentialOutoftownerVIPDined on 7/3/2014This restaurant has great potential but needs some work with the staff. No hostess when we arrived and when a waitress stepped in she had trouble finding our reservation. Then we were provided 3 different menus which only 1 was valid. I do believe the words 'I'm new and don't know the menu that well yet' should be uttered from any servers lips. The food was ok, but sat in the window too long as we waited for no apparent reason.
- Crowded & hot!DisappointmentDined on 6/29/2014The room was extremely hot need additional ventilation. Requested seating near band not honored. 2 bathrooms unisex not clean.Special Features:
- Great Food - But Music too LoudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014We LOVED all the food at Cana Oakland - delicious, beautifully served, and engagingly presented. BUT, we were there @ 7pm on a Friday and the music volume was overpowering. Impossible to have a conversation between 4 people. We'll go back on a weeknight when we were told the volume is lower.Special Features:
- Food was good, service was meh...LakeguyVIPDined on 6/27/2014Food is very tasty so that's a plus. They sat us next to a speaker that was blasting Cuban music. I know it was next to the dance floor but I had to shout to be able to talk to my companion. The drinks took forever so it come right before the food arrived. I like to enjoy a drink before I get my dinner. The server seemed indifferent.Special Features:
- flowersDined on 6/14/2014Service was very slow they did not honor their yelp coupon. Management was very hands off more like dead weight to the server who had more tables than he could handle. Meal arrived before we got water. Bad experience, food was good and wine was good when it did comeSpecial Features:
- Chef Raul is the manWillDined on 6/7/2014As a carribean native who recently moved to the Bay Area. I have been craving authentic Cuban or Dominican food. Raul head chef embraced all the carribean flavors from the mojo to the flang.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cana 5/28JneneDined on 5/28/2014Cana has a great location and amazing food! The service, however, was extremely slow... for myself and my friend. We arrived just after 6p and waited for several minutes to order drinks. A family came in about 10 min after my party and their drink/food order was taken before ours. Our drinks took 20 minutes and we had to flag the waiter/waitress down to get water and to finally order. We decided to put in a drink order before we were finished with our first because we feared another 20 min delay. If Cana resolves its waiting service, it would be a 5 star all the way.Special Features:
- Disappointed!Dine4funVIPDined on 5/24/2014Restaurant was 30% full, we were seated for 15 min, no one came by to take drink orders we were completely ignored. When we adked a bartender if we could order drinks, he replied that he was new.. A few more minutes and finally our server appeared and i was irritated by then and commented to her how long we had been sitting... Of course she apologizes etc we get out drinks, our apps, entrees... Entrees were really nothing to write home about other than great presentation. I ordered the ropa vieja, which was cold at the center!! Microwave wasn't working? My boyfriends entree, rice was too sweet.. Should have been our dessert.
- The following 50 reviews are from the Cana Oakland reviews archive.
- Fun Times!TefreeDined on 5/18/2014Ok, this was a good time but it didn't start that way! Sunday brunch reservation was for 2:45 but wasn't seated until 3:05. Good food, music, people watching, drinks and lots of dancing! If you don't like crowds you would want to come early before the music really gets started.Special Features:
- Salsa and Food - Yes!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014Loved it! Would highly recommend it...and if you like salsa music...this is the place. Reynoso was wonderful last Sunday--beautiful singer and the band was hot and the dancers on the floor: hot! Good food and culture and entertainment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch with a beatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/4/2014American and Cuban cuisine with flair. Had the chicken and waffles brunch and was pleased with the Cuban spices. Also enjoyed the bottomless mimosas. After dining we stayed for the Cuban Salsa band to dance off the calories. No longer need to go to SF for a Great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good attentionSkavenDined on 4/19/2014This is a very good option. They have good menu that include international food. The bar is amazing and the attention is excelent. There are a lot of options for to drink someting .. Waiters and bartenders very kindSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- happy houralbaveeDined on 4/18/2014Great place for happy hour and the appetizers were so delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for brunchLMTWDined on 4/12/2014We sat outside on the patio and were able to people watch. The food was amazing and the drinks were strong and refreshing! I would definitely go back!!Special Features:
- yummy food and awesome musicl808Dined on 3/30/2014The food was really good (definitely recommend the fufu hash) but the portions are small. My date had the chicken and waffles which were okay but the chicken was a little.dry. we indulged in bottomless mimosas...you need to drink 3 to get your money's worth, which we definitely did...and more. The waitress, the hostess and bartenders were also very accommodating. We came to salsa and though the dance floor's small and gets very crowded (I almost ended up in the drumset at one point), it's so much fun because everyone is there to just have a good time. We went on a Sunday at 11:30 and stayed til 4. Definitely make a reservation because they were turning people away by then. The berry mojitos are also delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We made reservations at thisLuv2dineDined on 3/28/2014We made reservations at this restaurant. They sat us pretty quickly however one of the owner guys was very rude when I was asking where the reservation desk was. With a the crowd we couldn't see what was what. We sat at one of the high tables on the wall inside. Horrible! Random people would walk up and rest there arms on the back of our chair while you were eating dinner. We ordered drinks first they came in a reasonable amount of time. After 25 minutes of waiting on appetizers we asked the waiter where our food was. She came back and said they lost the ticket!! Entree same thing! I give this place a zero! Horrible serviceSpecial Features:
- My meal was great!! It wasEribDined on 3/23/2014My meal was great!! It was the machaca something or the other. When the music started and the game was on(therefore, the crowd around the bar would outburst occasionally) it was very heard to hear my friends. It didn't bother me for some reason--perhaps because I knew it'd be like that. This was apart of the experience but I don't know if it's for everyone or every occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance and food. DoScoobyDined on 3/23/2014Great ambiance and food. Do not show with a party larger than 6.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty Good Brunch (BUT LOUD)nancydrewinsfDined on 3/23/2014Bottomless mimosas are $18/each and we had some delicious empanadas to start. My boyfriend had a pulled pork and egg dish and cleaned his plate. My waffles, which were probably in the window waiting for his dish, arrived cold and the whipped cream was flat when it arrived. It would have been great, hot. My boyfriend got a complementary shot of rum for his birthday. It is worth noting there is a two hour max for tables and the servers, while efficient, are definitely moving things along to make sure you've got the check at an hour and 45 minutes. You have the option to take your mimosas to the front and be pelted by salsa dancers dancing to an insanely loud band. I was glad we left before the dancing and band were at full swing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewLaurapattyDined on 3/14/2014Food was cold, service was very slow. Drinks were good.Special Features:
- TOO RUSHEDfoodie12Dined on 3/9/2014The food was delicious, the ambiance was fun, but the service was terrible. I couldn't enjoy my brunch due to the CONSTANT reminders that we only had the table for a certain amount of time. Since the moment we got there the waitresses were rude. I understand it gets busy and we cannot stay at the table all day drinking bottomless mimosas but there is no need to make your customers feel rushed and unwanted.Special Features:
- Oakland's CharmDivadebbieDined on 2/16/2014Cana's is a charming, vibrant hot spot for Sunday Brunch, Salsa Dancing Experts & and the beautiful people vibe! Reservations are encouraged because it's always a long line of late comers. Once the band kicks off, the bottomless mimosas are everywhere! The platters of Chicken & waffles, Cuban Espanadas and simmering Plantains, just tease your appetite as you wait for your table. I would say you can't go wrong at Cana. Be Prepared to have a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Presentation perfect!AlessandraDined on 2/15/2014Food fantastic; too noisy, however, and a bit cramped.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentically differentLamorindanVIPDined on 2/13/2014I love Cuban food but find that many so-called Cuban restaurants are more "influenced" than authentic. There's little on the menu that couldn't be found in restaurants of a different background. Cana seems truly authentic in its menu and creative in its presentation. I'd go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- Fun Cuban Saturday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/1/2014After I shopped at the Farmers' Market located along Lakeshore Dr., I met up with friends at Cana for a birthday celebration. On Saturdays between 1 pm - 4 pm, Cana has live music and offers a brunch menu. I was very glad that we had reservations because the hostess allowed us the choice of sitting inside or the outdoor dining area. And we were seated in front of the walk-in parties. If you're sensitive to noise, I would recommend sitting inside the restaurant because live music can be loud. If not, sit outside in the sun (like we did) and enjoy the music and Lakeshore vibe. The majority of my party ordered the chicken and sweet potatoe waffle. But, I ordered the steak and eggs. YUMMY!!! I look forward to my next Cana visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we finally stopped by!kk14Dined on 2/1/2014I originally wanted to try Cana for my birthday, however, when we arrived there was a $10 cover, as they had dancing that night. I just wanted dinner and didn't want to pay a cover to eat it, so we went elsewhere. This weekend we went for Saturday brunch. I'm so glad we finally got in (no cover this time). The food was DELICIOUS. I had a dish with scrambled eggs, shredded pork, black beans and some delicious salsas on my side. My love had "the best waffles he has ever had," bacon, and potatoes. We also both ordered coffee and while our table was a little small to accommodate all of the plates, everything was so, so good. A very enjoyable meal for a reasonable price. We'll definitely be back for dinner and maybe even dancing sometime soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nuevo Cubano!bizguyVIPDined on 2/1/2014I am not a big fan of traditional "Cuban" cuisine, but Cana elevates and extends the classics. I really like eating there for brunch (though I wished they opened earlier) and they have a really great drink menu and bar. Ask them to muddle some fresh jalapeno or serrano in your Mojito if you are into things with a kick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.