Campo - Mammoth
6201 Minaret Road
Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Campo - Mammoth
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.campomammoth.com/
- Phone: (760) 934-0669
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: 5pm - 11pm, Nightly
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Michael Schrek
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Campo - Mammoth
Family friendly rustic Italian in the heart of The Village. Campo Mammoth’s menu is made with organic, local and seasonal ingredients. Features include wood-fired Neapolitan pizzas, handmade pastas and handcrafted salumi with pairing options of wine, beer and craft cocktails. A popular spot for après ski, family dinner, date nights and brunch.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Campo - Mammoth - Best Restaurants in Mammoth ›
Campo - Mammoth reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (10)good for groups (9)fit for foodies (6)kid-friendly (5)vibrant bar scene (5)hot spot (4)scenic view (2)neighborhood gem (2)late-night find (2)notable wine list (2)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)romantic (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/17/2014It was closed and we had a reservation. What's up Campo?
- Would not recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Had spaghetti which was Luke warm at best. Not very tasty either. Service was lacking. People serving us looked distracted. Very little follow up
- Great foodPaloAltoDinerVIPDined on 8/31/2014Dined here when Campo first opened and everything was burned and just not very good. On a whim tried it again and really liked it. Our server was extremely attentive (rare in Mammoth) and the food was great. Had a Pasta Bolognese, roasted cauliflower and a pizza. All very good. Wine list is not so interesting but corkage is reasonable so we brought our own bottle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedFussydinerVIPDined on 8/29/2014My husband took our guests for dinner after we highly recommended Campo. We had been here when it first opened. They reported that spaghetti and meatballs was mediocre, pizza crust was undercooked and service was slow with lackluster concern on the part of the server. Needless to say we were disappointed after our recommendation.
- Cocktails are too sweet; food goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/12/2014The food was very fresh but hit and miss; for example, my arugula salad was fantastic with incredibly fresh ingredients, but my husbands tomato special was made with bland, supermarket quality tomatoes. The cocktails are too sweet; in fact I returned one requesting another made less sweet and even the replacement was too sweet. Order wine or beer if you don't like sweet cocktails. I recommend the pizzas (fantastic), arugula salad, salmon and the salted caramel dessert (amazing!). Decor is amazing and the service is too.Special Features:
- our favorite placetonibVIPDined on 8/8/2014We love this place - one of the best in Mammoth. All of their food is fresh, home-made pasta and pizza's. We love going here every time we are in Mammoth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best pizza I've had since....Italy.jlynngirlVIPDined on 8/1/2014I know there are several other notable dishes but the pizza is simply amazing. The choices are quite unique, fresh ingredients and the crust is perfect - thick on the outside and crisp and thin on the inside, YUM!Special Features:
- The following 73 reviews are from the Campo - Mammoth reviews archive.
- Fantastic Food and Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/5/2014We weren't sure how we felt after our first visit shortly after it opened, so we gave it some time and came back on none other than July 5th, which is when most of Mammoth celebrated the 4th this year. We made reservations to sit outside and watch the fireworks, knowing it will be busy. We were quite impressed. The hostess staff sat us immediately though the outside was packed. We were waited on right away, though the waitress was slammed...the food was GREAT though the kitchen was overwhelmed. Get the point? These guys know what they are doing, even with a huge crowd on a holiday. We highly recommend this place and the pizzas are unbelievable.Special Features:
- Great Food, Poor ServiceGaryDined on 7/5/2014Since Campo opened a couple of years ago, we have dined there on several occasions. During that period, the food has been consistently good, but the service has gradually deteriorated until it is now significantly below expectations. The wait for drinks was long and the drinks were poorly made--wrong proportions and missing ingredients. I would stick to wine. We had ordered a couple of appetizers, salads and entrees. Imagine our surprise, when all of the dishes appeared simultaneously! The only exception was two of five entrees which not only appeared much later, but one of which was not even the correct dish. We like the menu and the location of Campo, but the service must improve before we return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pizza dinnerCkgeeDined on 6/28/2014We enjoyed a nice dinner in Mammoth Village with the fritto misto and roasted Brussels which were tasty. Focaccia bread and olive oil was good. Nice that our waiter gave us 2 bottles to refill our own glasses. The light, crispy pizza was yummy with the pancetta, fresh mozzarella and arugula and the other was a Margherita which were both delicious. We were happy to find a restaurant that was good and so close to our hotel.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/21/2014We ordered the Bee Sting pizza which was made with honey and serrano chiles and salami. The chiles unfortunately overpowered everything and the honey made things very messy. The hand tossed, wood fired dough was the best part of the pizza. The special pasta of the day was a boar bolognese which was very flavorful with lots of meat, but seemed to be missing something that made it stand out amongst other great bolognese pastas I have eaten before.Special Features:
- Only Family FaireMacMBVIPDined on 4/18/2014Campo was recommended to us as an upscale, innovative Italian dining experience. In fact, the food was quite ordinary more fitting as a family restaurant ( as evidenced by the number of children). The pizzas were OK. I had the wild boar pasta that was absolutely tasteless and unrecognizable as wild boar. The pasta itself appeared to be home made and good but the dish was mundane and unlike a real Italian wild boar which is rich in seasoning and complex flavors. Not worth a return visit.Special Features:
- The service was excellent.BrucelocalDined on 3/21/2014The service was excellent. We had Lindsay as a waitress and Marissa the manager is always friendly and attentive. The food keeps improving. Fresh ingredients!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambianceGriseldaDined on 3/16/2014Campo is a very nice addition to the Village at Mammoth. Rustic Italian food in a beautiful setting. There are outdoor tables with a firepit, and lovely heavy wood tables inside, with floor to ceiling windows. The décor is very industrial and rustic, perfect for the location. The menu is what you would expect, wood fired pizza, risotto, pasta and a list of Italian wines. Prices are reasonable, and all the items we ordered arrived quickly and were served hot. The only complaint is the beer selection. They were out of the Peroni, Italian lager, and had no substitute either on draft or bottled. The other options were heavy. I'd suggest having some bottled Peroni and Birra Moretti for when the kegs are empty. All in all, a great spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodlindyDined on 3/15/2014I like "healthier" fare. Brussel sprouts way overdone on the salt and oil. Scallops, way over done on the salt. Would recommned this place only for pizza; wouldn't go back to order anything else because of the salt and oil content; way overdone.I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/9/2014I have been to Campo multiple times and every time the service and food have been excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, energetic, quality eveningBayAreaNativeVIPDined on 3/3/2014This was a first visit. Overall it was very good. Food was nicely presented and all 3 diners were happy with varied menu items in terms of freshness, quantity, and preparation (duck, halibut, gnocchi). Pizzas looked excellent. Fun decor befitting the mountain location. Dessert and cappuccinos also very good. Water and focaccia service were attentive but not hovering. Wine maybe a little overpriced and not that deep for different varietals, but still acceptable. A little loud but also acceptable. Would return and try the pizzas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eats!LivyDined on 3/1/2014We tried a variety of appetizers and pizzas for a party of six, all very good, especially the roasted cauliflower. Staff was friendly and attentive. Great location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Campo at MammothOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/28/2014For the area, this restaurant is still a neighborhood gem with a great vibe and great drinks. That said, I have been underwhelmed with the good the last few times there, i.e., risotto was undercooked, the scallops were way to salty, the bolognese was bland. Not sure if they were isolated off nights or there has been a change in the kitchen. Overall, still worth going to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousWaldoDined on 2/23/2014We loved dining at Campo. The food was terrific, the ambiance friendly, and the location in the Village at Mammoth is perfect.Special Features:
- OK Food, Poor ServiceLAFoodVIPDined on 2/16/2014The service was quite poor. We arrived at 6:30 and was immediately seated. However, the waitress took a long time to come. When she did come, she said she wasn't ready to take orders yet. When she did come, she was quite distracted. She also never came by. We had to flag her down to order more drinks. The drinks never came. Some of the food was good, but other items were quite regular, nothing special. Our orders for 5 also came out separately. Overall, keep your expectations low and you might enjoy it.
- Bad slowly turned into goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014We were neglected from the start being helped 15 minutes after our reservation. The table we were seated at had great views of a wall. Once at our table we noticed everyone else seated was given a caraf of water, were just told someone would be with us 2x. Then finally someone came to get us started with drinks. Once service got going we were happy customers. Food and cocktails were delicious. Server saved it all by surprising us with the tastiest desert. All in all, what started out terrible ended nicely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our new favorite spot in Mammoth!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/9/2014Been here our last 2 visits. Great menu---love the apps: Brussel sprouts and cauliflower are very good! Tagliatelle Wild Board Bolognese was outstanding. Servers are all very attentive and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageTimEDined on 2/1/2014Nothing special. Not worth the money. I should have listened to the other reviews I read online prior to going.
- too much service?OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/30/2014is there such a thing? The food was great! The specials were outstanding. The ambience, well...it was really loud for my taste -- I really wish big groups could just sit down instead of constantly blocking the aisle to the restroom. the only negative i can think of it is that at one point we had 3 people serving us, so we had no idea who our server was. normally, that wouldn't be a problem, but in this case it wasn't really coordinated so the 3 kept swinging by and asking the same thing ("would you like a drink?" "we've already ordered", etc etc)Special Features:
- Ok foodSouthbay5Dined on 1/17/2014I thought the food was just ok. Ordered spaghetti and meatballs and it was pretty bland . Bread was not good. Husband ordered the risotto and said it was good. We had reservations so didn't have to wait although they placed us at an awkward table against the wall.Special Features:
- Some great food here. DefinitelyOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/17/2014Some great food here. Definitely our new favorite place in Mammoth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it all ... the first timePhilDined on 1/14/2014Went to Campo at the recommendation of a local from Mammoth Lakes ... food and service both great and speedy as well! Went back 2 nights later and they turned us away at the door at 9:25pm and they said they were open until 10:00 pm. Both "chef" and "server" said "no" ... wish I had pushed to talk to manager because she was great from 2 nights earlier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful, just awful.counterptVIPDined on 1/1/2014It's been years since I paid for food this pathetic.
- Great pizza and appetizersWithTwoYoungKidsDined on 1/1/2014Great atmosphere with après ski crowd. Good cocktail menu and good food. Very busySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Be sure to make reservations!!TeatimeVIPDined on 1/1/2014My friend's spaghetti and meatballs did not have enough sauce, we asked for more sauce and the server said that they usually charge extra for that but did not on this occasion, but the pizza and other non traditional Italian entrees were nice. The wine was fine, but the glasses were warm so therefore the wine was too. The soup was excellent. It's right in the village so very boisterous and you will need reservations on most nights.
- Beware the risottoVeniceeatsVIPDined on 12/30/2013I have reviewed Campo three times and in the past have rated it very highly. This time they did not meet expectations. Service, Casey, was knowledgeable & attentive. The food was served in properly timed manner - not too fast as occurred in the past. The kale salad with a poached egg was crunchy, gooey and yummy as always. The bee sting pizza with honey & jalapeño was up to usual good standard as was the bolognese pasta. The butternut squash gnocchi was a favorite - highly recommend. But.....huge disappointment in the 'special' risotto. It was the worst risotto four of us had ever tasted - texture like runny cream of wheat, absolutely no flavor. It was returned but no substitute nor explanation offered. That said - I still recommendSpecial Features:
- Food lacks taste...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/29/2013The soups were bland and the fish was dry. There are definitely better and less trendy options in the Village.
- Awful! sorry to say.JandLDined on 12/20/2013Five diner First, lets find something good. Polenta! best item we had, everyone loved it. Unfortunately, Crispy Calamai, -was soggy soaked in grease, very few pieces. it came with vegetable also soggy and fried lemon to make the dish look full. It was sent back,they took it off the bill. Margarite pizza, described as tomatoe, garlic and oregano sounded great but, it had no tomatoes, just a small smear of tomatoe paste-Garlic? Not even enough to have the tiny chips on each slice and just a few tiny pieces of dried oregano. The soup had great flavor, I took a taste, it was boiling hot! My friend tried it and it was cold. We laughed and found that just the center 2" were superhot, and everything outside was only luke warm- bad microwave?Special Features:
- Perfect location & great foodQuinnVIPDined on 11/29/2013Located in Mammoth Village, Campo is a perfect spot to enjoy the outdoors or vibrant indoor atmosphere.Special Features:
- Too Cold2cold2dineDined on 11/29/2013I called ahead to make sure we could sit by a heater on the patio. I was assured that we would be warm enough and be seated by a heater so I made a reservation. However, only half of the heaters were working and nothing close enough to our table when we arrived. We were so cold that we could not enjoy our meal. It is nice that you are able to bring your dog to the patio, but not worth it if the heaters are not working. It is hard to believe that restaurants in this climate don't plan ahead for this! Another suggestion is to provide lap blankets. I live in a warmer climate and many of our outside dinning areas do this and it is a big bonus.
- What happened to usCarrieVIPDined on 10/12/2013We were seated immediately. We were offered a table in what I what would call the restaurant area vs the bar. Because it was a slow night I suggested bar seating at a table in the bar. I liked it's location. Once seated no one came over to us. My husband spoke with the hostess and she told us that we had to order our own food. When we decided to move a young man named Rodney then came over. He was fantastic and took such good care of us. The food and wine were very good. Because of Rodney we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had great service. TheSophieGVIPDined on 10/12/2013We had great service. The owner/manager kept going table from table to check if everything was okay or if we needed anything else. Our server was also very good/very friendly. We asked for some sample of wines (two) before making our final decision, the samplers came quickly and the owner helped us make the final choice. Very nice touch! I would recommend the brussel sprouts for appetizer, it was delicious, as well as the pizza for sharing. Great dough but could have had more meat on it. The pasta was good. One of the pasta dish was undercook, firmer than "al dente" and not very hot. The second dish came with more sauce and warmer than the first one, and pasta was cooked perfectly. Overall, great experience, great service, good food.Special Features:
- Below average food and servicehauterouteVIPDined on 8/31/2013Waitress disappeared after taking our order and we basically never saw her again. Missed the opportunity to order wine refills. French onion soup was just onion soup. Salad was swimming in dressing. Pizza didn't have much cheese and red sauce tasted like Ragu (not surprising given the big plastic vat of it we saw in the kitchen). Tagliatelle was ok but needed seasoning. Focaccia bread was cold. Won't go back.
- Enjoyed CampoPizzaMavenDined on 8/23/2013What a fun place to grab a true Neapolitan pizza in Mammoth! The Kale Salad was terrific . . . great dressing and lively taste. Enjoyed the Neapolitan Margherita pizza, as well, though one side was definitely a bit heavy on the char. The other side was perfect! It was definitely the real Neopolitan deal. lService was prompt and courteous. I would definitely go back next time I am in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.