701 Union Street
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.campanulasf.com/
- Phone: 4158297766x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Pawlik
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wine
- Cross Street: Powell
- Public Transit: One block from the Mason Hyde cable car line. The 41 bus drops you off on Union just across from the restaurant. Taxis are plentiful especially on Columbus.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There are two public lots within a half block (on Powell) of Campanula Kitchen & Bar. Street parking is also available.
A word from Campanula
Campanula Kitchen & Bar is a neighborhood restaurant specializing in small plates and classic cocktails. The menu is masterfully executed by Chef Michael Pawlik and his team, so please join us for a few small plates, a full dinner, cocktails or try our "unleaded" section for a refreshing non-alcoholic treat. We also have a wonderful selection of house made desserts prepared by Rebecca Rader.Continued
When you walk through the door you are greeted by a friendly staff and a comfortable dining room with some of the city’s best views of Coit Tower and Washington Square Park.
When you walk through the door you are greeted by a friendly staff and a comfortable dining room with some of the city’s best views of Coit Tower and Washington Square Park.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Campanula reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great food and ambienceLisaDined on 12/7/2013We went with friends to Campanula. None of us had ever been there before. The food was great, with the four of us rating all our dishes as 4-5 stars depending on the particular dish. Meals were priced appropriately for the value and quality. Two of us sat facing out large picture windows with a nighttime view of Coit Tower. There was a certain pride and pleasantness exhibited by all staff. We will definitely return and recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not all pastaSurfGirlDined on 11/30/2013We were looking for a fun spot near Washington Square that was not your typical Italian pasta joint. I had the scallops that were cook perfectly. Everyone had a great time choosing a variety of items. Can be noisy if the patrons have more than two bottles of wine.:)Special Features:
- Great findJimboVIPDined on 11/30/2013We wanted a restaurant close to Cobb Comedy. What a great find! There were six of us and everyone thoroughly enjoyed their meal. We would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Serviceceevee830Dined on 11/30/2013The two EEs tending to the floor did an outstanding job. They knew their menu inside and out. The scallops were awesome, and the fam liked their meals too. The windows overlooked a nice city scene. Overall a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was just ok except forOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/16/2013Food was just ok except for Cesar salad which was pretty bad and seemed to be created by someone with no clue as to what this salad is. With so many restaurants to choose in this area, we would never return to this one.
- Delicious appetizerslisabVIPDined on 10/27/2013Awesome burrata, truffled Mac and cheese and halibut, Our group of ten had a great time !Special Features:
- Great Choice for Italian DinnerJP510Dined on 10/26/2013Excellent choice for an Italian dining experience; them being open till midnight is a plus in itself as most other restaurants with similar food are closed by 10pm. The Lamb meatballs are the best we've ever had and the scallops and halibut were cooked to perfection. We also were lucky enough to be the only customers in there at the time, but overall, this was a fantastic place and we would definitely be going back. This time for the rabbit sausage.Special Features:
- As rememberedRichDined on 9/20/2013This was our second visit to Campanula and we were not disappointed. We originally found this restaurant on our last visit to San Francisco two years ago and were looking forward to this visit. Although our dinner reservation was for later in the evening, the restaurant staff accommodated our request and seated us early. We enjoyed great wine, delicious food and friendly interaction with the staff. We were not hurried at all and our server was knowledgeable and attentive without being "pushy". We LOVE Campanula and would recommend it to anyone who wants a great meal, fairly priced and wants to make friends. We can't wait to return and wish Campanula continued success.Special Features:
- Excellent AppetizersCrabitDined on 9/7/2013The small plates were excellent. Waitstaff was at times inattentive (even though they were hot particularly busy). Very good wine list. Risotto was disappointing.
- North BeachTooltomDined on 9/7/2013We stayed near the Embarcadero, and tried to make reservations near there, but nothing available. Searched further away, found Campanula. There are many good restaurants in North Beach, and this is one. We often eat at The Stinking Rose, but wanted something different. I had an excellent sweet corn risotto, wife had gnudi, also excellent. Wine list was adequate, selection of beers on tap was limited. We did not try any desserts. Service was very good, from the front door through the goodbye. Would eat there again. Would recommend to friends. Nice neighborhood. This place is 2 blocks north of Chinatown, so on the way back to hotel we shopped for tchotchkes.Special Features:
- Poor service. Ordered decafUnclemomoVIPDined on 8/31/2013Poor service. Ordered decaf coffee and was originally told there was none. Then the waiter brought it, but it turned out to be regular (which I found out in the middle of the night). Unlikely to return.
- Good Italian fareggeneDined on 8/30/2013This is a nice Italian restaurant in North Beach. It is a bit better than average with some decent offerings. Very good wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for Restaurant BuyoutOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/24/2013My husband and I ate at Campanula to do a tasting for a potential restaurant buyout. I had read great reviews on Yelp and we weren't disappointed. There is a full bar which we appreciated and the appetizers were absolutely delicious. The chorizo-stuffed olives are perfect with cocktails. We also had the scallops and burrata (which were superb!). The beet salad was very good as well as the braised short ribs. My husband had the pasta with rabbit sausage and said it was very flavorful. The location is terrific - right on the corner across from Washington Park with a beautiful view of Coit Tower. It has a very SF feel about it. Am so looking forward to our holiday party in December. Great for locals and visitors alike.Special Features:
- Little gemSwimmergirlDined on 8/17/2013What a little gem! Service is friendly and accommodating, wine list is great, menu could be a little more diverse but what selection they do have is wonderfully prepared. Try the scallops or the halibut special! Love thus little placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- North Beach SleeperOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/12/2013The poor waitress was all by herself (which wasn't her fault) but hustled her best to sevice the entire room. The food was awesome and the view of Coit Tower out the window makes it a great spot to take visitors to SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid restaurantCCLWDined on 8/10/2013My wife, children and I dined here last September for my wife's birthday, and it fit the occasion very well. The staff was courteous and attentive, though as the place started closing they were less attentive. The food was delicious and well prepared. Everyone got what they requested and it was the perfect temperature and very flavorful. I would say that, while everything is clean with an elegant touch, it's kind of plain looking so it's easy to miss. But, it's a solid place to go in a part of town with a plethora of restaurants. It's not as expensive as those across the square, and also not as busy. For that, I plan to revisit this restaurant again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traditional food with a twistOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2013The menu has traditional favorites with subtle deviations from the norm. The wine list has a fine selection. The Kobe beef burger and the macaroni and cheese are excellent choices.Special Features:
- Excellent Food, Friendly ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/27/2013To start, we had apps including the Burratta, the seared scallops and the veal tartar - all were excellent! The kobe beer burger was extremely tasty, and the risotto was also excellent. The only drawback was it was very crowded and they almost sat (squeezed in) another table of two next to us, but the party declined . . . it would have been too crowded. I would highly recommend this neighborhood gem! Reserve ahead of time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why is this place not packed?BostonbruenDined on 7/20/2013Was skeptical when we were able to walk in on a Saturday night without reservations and be seated immediately, but boy was I wrong. Everything was great. Food, wine, service, atmosphere. Get the burrattaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Campanula is a great tapasSFeaterDined on 7/5/2013Campanula is a great tapas place - reliable, delicious and great wines by the glass. Also very affordable. My only suggestion to them would be to change up the menu a bit.Special Features:
- Thumbs up - one of our favoriteFrancisVIPDined on 6/29/2013Thumbs up - one of our favorite restaurants in our new neighborhood. Try the Burrata, lamb meatballs, mac & cheese, and Guinea hen pasta. Good ambiance, reasonable pricing, and nice service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weird experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/21/2013The restaurant was empty on a Friday night at 7:30pm. Seriously. 4 tables being served. The food was okay but very overpriced and not *that* great. 2-3 bite tapas for $11-$13 a piece. Our server kept telling us "this dish looks delicious! this dish looks amazing!" everytime he brought out a plate. Hey buddy, let us be the judge of that. Would not go back ever.
- Gem of a restaurant near SF showOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/21/2013Really excellent restaurant a block awat from the famous show Beach Blanket Babylon at Club Fugazi. Great service, wonderful food with large portions. Stuffed olives and lamb meatballs are a must. Scallops were tender and delicious. Beef Bolgonese was outstanding. We were there for our 40th anniversary and look forward to going there again.Special Features:
- Absolutely Sensational!Sandy94901VIPDined on 6/8/2013Tonite was our first dining experience at Campanula but absolutely not our last! The food was amazing and the service exemplary. It is absolutely a great "foodie" spot. The plates are so creative...really different and exciting. We started with scallops...fresh, huge, refreshing dish. Salads were good but perhaps the weakest course (particularly the Caesar...not great). The entrees' were really great. My husband had the chicken and raved that is was the best he has ever had. I had the smoked guinea hen w/fresh pasta...absolutely sensational. We ended with the ice cream sandwiches....devine. All this great food and the we felt treated like special guests. My recommendation....RUN, do not walk, to Campanula!Special Features:
- Always on pointTeamSigDined on 6/6/2013Great dinner as always. I set up a work dinner the same day during a conference on Nob Hill. We wanted something close and delicious. What we received was nothing short of stellar. Great drinks and recommendations. Not only is the menu interesting with a very rustic and authentic feel, everything tastes great and is different. From rabbit sausage (over homemade pasta) to the huge chicken to the lamb meatballs (seconds!) to the burrata - every dish has a light touch but bold flavor. Staff is right on point with perfectly crafted drinks and service. I want to go back tomorrow!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some really great disheslrk8138Dined on 6/1/2013Some of what we had at Campanula was delicious (the scallops, the pork chop, the brioche French toast) and some was pretty average (one of the pasta appetizers, the risotto). We found ourselves adding a lot of salt to those two. Drinks were also hit or miss (too sour) and we were seated smack in the middle of the dining room near the kitchen and serving area when there was great seating around the perimeter. I thought that was weird.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining in North BeachMoNapaDined on 5/30/2013Just off Washington Square and sitting right on a corner with windows on both sides, the "view" is incredible. The food was delicious, especially the short ribs and beet salad many of us had, and the service was attentive. We sat at a table next to some locals (we're from Napa) and toward the end of our respective meals we ended up conversing with them for awhile, making Campanula a neighborhood gem. Plan on paying for parking in one of the garages in the neighborhood unless you plan on driving around for awhile, since North Beach can get very busy. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but nothing remarkableOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/25/2013Whilst the food here was good, the menu was somewhat limited. We enjoyed our evening, but would not repeat the visit. Noise levels were quite loud. Service was fast and attentive. Given the choice of restaurants in North Beach I would try somewhere else next time, since this restaurant had nothing to make it stand out from the crowd.
- Lovely North Beach SpotgoodineDined on 5/13/2013I love going here because the menu changes and there's always a few surprises. Inventive food. Difficult to pigeonhole the menu. Sort of Italian meets Californian Mediterranean. Worth patronizing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My boyfriend and I absolutelyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/28/2013My boyfriend and I absolutely love coming to Campanula. This time, we brought my sister and her boyfriend and they loved it as well. The burrata appetizer was amazing as usual and the roast chicken is to die for. The service and overall experience was great. Campanula is a North Beach gem and I feel tends to go unnoticed, but if you're craving great food amongst the disappointing American/Italian restaurants along Columbus, you've got to try Campanula!Special Features:
- From the scallop appetizerOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/20/2013From the scallop appetizer to the 'french toast' dessert, the food was excellent. Don't let the 'french toast' description of that dessert fool you. Think creme brule brioche. Delicious! My rabbit pasta was excellent -- even better the next day for breakfast! Second time here, second time very pleased.Special Features:
- In town for a conference.OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/19/2013In town for a conference. Had dinner as a group of 6. Great food, excellent service and staff.Special Features:
- Excellent service! The RobertOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/29/2013Excellent service! The Robert Craig is a great cab!Special Features:
- I was looking for a placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/22/2013I was looking for a place to celebrate my boyfriends graduation & we stumbled upon this gem of a restaurant. The food was incredibly memorable, and we're in the culinary biz, plus it was the best atmosphere. Not pretentious & the food rocked!Special Features:
- Thewait staff and host wereLucyVDined on 3/9/2013Thewait staff and host were great! They were knowledgeable and courteous. The burratta was a thing of beauty. I ordered the short rib and it was cooked to perfection. My friend had the chicken and she loved it. For dessert, they gave us a complimentary order of the ice cream sandwiches for my friend's birthday. It was a great experience and I would definitely come back or recommend to fellow diners.Special Features:
- Great little find!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/9/2013This was a new restaurant for us and was a delightful experience in every way -- definitely a cut above what you might expect. We will definitely be back!
- Service and food was good.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/1/2013Service and food was good. Tried the mushroom risoto, kobe burger and the short ribs which were everyones favorite. Place can get a bit loud but that was expected. Liked the corner location with tons of windows so you can watch the world go by. Would go back again.Special Features:
- fabulous food, great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/25/2013fabulous food, great service! owner/manager[?] and our server were very attentive.Special Features:
- Had a nice time at Campanula.RedInkDined on 2/16/2013Had a nice time at Campanula. The food was delicious, the service and ambiance were good as well. Nice neighborhood spot. Would recommend a reservation on a weekend night. Started with linguica-stuffed olives with the cucumber cooler cocktail. I had the burrata with fig jam and prosciutto on crostini as an appetizer and my wife had the bone marrow. I had the fish of the day, a bass that had been lightly pan fried and served on a carrot puree with baby veggies. Very clean and delicious. My wife had the rabbit sausage with tagliatelle and she enjoyed it. The ice cream sandwiches were a nice finish. Definitely would go back.Special Features:
- Food and service were great.Take5SFDined on 2/9/2013Food and service were great. Bartender was weirdly unsmiling, and her martini very vermouthy. But otherwise very nice meal and experienceSpecial Features: